We should eat insects

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
How about no

I will never eat an entire animal, much less one with a nasty exoskeleton

You can not filet a moth can you

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009

FK NO. This thread made me sick cause I went a little further and did some googling and found that. Sorry. I think I rather drink piss.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
If we're going to switch to disgusting food because it's healthy or more efficient, we should become vegans, because it's more efficient to farm plants than insects.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Nah, sorry. I have a fear of bugs at the best of times. Putting something that I fear in my mouth? I would much rather not, honestly. :/

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Samurai Silhouette said:

FK NO. This thread made me sick cause I went a little further and did some googling and found that. Sorry. I think I rather drink piss.
And if you found a video of a guy eating a chicken alive you would say the same about it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
*shrug* I do know that fried maggots make for a tasty snack. I'm also quite curious about locusts. Bring 'em on I say.
TehCookie said:
I'd eat insects mashed into an unrecognizable paste and mixed with something else.
That's being done as well. Apparently they make burgers out of it, among other stuff.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
Out of principle I'd say that I would give changing my diet to suit insects a shot if the need was necessary, but I don't have any motivaton to go out and do it on my own. Dead and cooked, I still would not willingly touch a spider.

I am reminded of that Idiot Abroad episode that had Karl go to China; "where is the line between food and insect?"

Vicarious Reality said:
I will never eat an entire animal
I've never agreed with this concept, I understand that certain cultures don't eat certain foodstuffs, but completely discarding a huge portion of a slaughtered animal which you use other parts of is really wasteful. Besides I love me some haggis and black pudding.
I'm saying this as a comment on society, not to criticise you personally, just to be clear.

Edit; I may have assumed you were only talking about offal which might have been unfair; I agree that I'd never pop an entire mouse in my mouth.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
DANEgerous said:
And if you found a video of a guy eating a chicken alive you would say the same about it.
Yeah I agree.

However, like my chicken which I eat primarily in the form of dismembered limbs crisped in some sort of breading or smothered in marinade, I'd have to have my bugs processed in some sort of form hardly attributable to their original state.

Granted, they'd probably be that way if insects were widely served on their own in the developed world.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I would sooner eat Rocky Mountain oysters, Balut eggs, Shirako or Bird's nest soup before I would willingly and knowingly dare to bring an insect to my mouth.

joonsk

Feb 26, 2011
If it tastes good, sure why not. Though as poeple already said I would only eat them processed than compeletely. Though I wouldn't mind eating a grasshopper, they look quite cruchy.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
I'm certainly not against the idea but I'm weirded out enough about the long dangly legs when I have to shell prawns. Maybe if they were all blended up, that'd be fine, but if I find one fly leg in my pie I am not going to be happy...

I have no idea why some people are so freaked out by insecty bodies when other cultures seem to be cool with it, I guess it's something that could be overcome if all the vertebrate livestock suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth, though.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
We need more people weighing in one whether or not they taste good. I was watching a documentary called "Human Planet", and there were these South American kids who go into the rainforest hunting for one of the largest spiders on the planet. They skewer it, roast it, and the cameraman for the show tried a piece. He said it tasted like crab.

If insects are good for you and don't taste horrible (and I don't see why they should just because we think they look gross, red meat has way more potential for harm than insect guts) then I'm all for it.

I feel kind of bad when I look at animals on a farm and realize their sole reason for survival is because they're another resource. But when I look at a scorpion, all I think is "fuck that scorpion".

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
I just can't eat anything that I can tell what part of the animal it came from.

I...just can't.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
DoPo said:
aba1 said:
In some cultures people do eat bugs haven't you guys ever heard of chocolate ants and stuff?
Well, those countries probably need JESUS!
Ha, nice. Glad I'm not the only one who had Deb of Night on the brain.

Anyway, this is slightly off topic, but since we're talking about eating things we don't normally eat...Guinea Pigs. Guinea Pigs are a common meat in South America.

I was watching it on No Reservations and they were talking about how it could also free up a lot of space. Instead of hundreds of acres to farm cattle and stuff, they were talking about how you could probably run a guinea pig ranch out of an apartment of all things.

But yeah, as for insects, I've eaten by fair share (baked mealworms just kinda taste like puffed rice)

I wouldn't want them to compose any majority of my diet, but I wouldn't be opposed to sitting down to the occasional grasshopper casserole.

captcha: "easy as cake". It sure is

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
As a person who has tried ants and a tarantula, it really isn't a replacement for meat products. It's more of a treat than a full blown meal. Even then the ants were just coated in some kind of spice and that was the flavor, it was a bit crunchy too.
It's the whole taboo of the western world to eat insects because many are associated with filth, decay, and death. Also I think it would be a problem screening the health of the insects and whether or not they are viable for consumption. At least with the larger beasts that we consume we can treat them and monitor individual health.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
My logical mind says "What's the problem, if you lived in a society that ate insects you wouldn't care" but the rest of my entire being reels at the thought of sticking a spider in my mouth and chomping on it.