Weird/Crazy stuff people have said to you/you've heard.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Eh, used to be cool in old movies. I think it's still an extant fetish, you have people collecting pic of famous people smoking and stuff cause reasons.
I thought maybe it was that sort of thing, but also thought we were too far removed from that era of smoking being "sexy" to be accosted by a girl today in her 20s. Maybe it was the half gallon of Sex Panther I put on before leaving the house.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It wasn't something said, but seen: I have a sticker of a wolf on the back of my car. Yesterday when I was bringing groceries out of the store, I was behind a woman probably in her late 20s who walked past my car, and apparently was so enamored of the sticker that she reached out and touched it with her bare hand.

I haven't had a chance to wash my car since the snow, and while it had been raining, there was still plenty of road gunk coating the back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One time my mom saw me play Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos, and she caught one of the girls (Kagura) cursing. It was an excited "Fuck yeah!", after scoring a high rank in a verse. My mom preceded to say, "Dey cursing!", in a happy and excited tone. My mom loves it when video game, or people in general, characters curse. Apparently, she didn't care nor bother her that 2 out of the 4 women are fighting in bikinis, with one of them in a G-string. My big bro saw me play the game once, and when looking at Kagura, he said "She's got a flat ass!" To be fair, he wasn't exactly wrong, but he missed the part where the character's chest is emphasized. I responded with "Why do you care?". He goes with "No reason; just commentating." Hmph.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My gf's 18yo son didn't know that pickles were made from cucumbers. He thought pickles were grown naturally like any other fruit or veggie. Fine; I get it. This day and age, if it isn't thrown in their faces from their phones, kids don't know shit.

But we told this to his father for him to share in on the laugh. His response? "I didn't know that either."

Look, I'm not the smartest man; I know far less than there is to be known, but godamnit, a grown as man in his 50s should not be ignorant as to the nature of a pickle.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My gf's 18yo son didn't know that pickles were made from cucumbers. He thought pickles were grown naturally like any other fruit or veggie. Fine; I get it. This day and age, if it isn't thrown in their faces from their phones, kids don't know shit.
Even days without phones, there were some kids that didn't know that either. I had few classmates back in elementary school not know the difference at the time, or thought they were separate vegetables. So it's not just an exclusive generation thing.

Look, I'm not the smartest man; I know far less than there is to be known, but godamnit, a grown as man in his 50s should not be ignorant as to the nature of a pickle.
You're always going to have ignorant mother-fuckers, no matter the age. That's life. Sucks for him, but that his problem.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
XKCD called that sort of person The Lucky 10,000, based on the idea of the law of large numbers intersecting with the fact that no piece of information has a 100% dispersal rate.

Like, in that guy's defense, most pickles are *way* smaller than a cucumber you'd see in a grocery store. So who's to say that pickles and cucumber isn't like zucchini and cucumber?

Reactions: Bedinsis

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
XKCD called that sort of person The Lucky 10,000, based on the idea of the law of large numbers intersecting with the fact that no piece of information has a 100% dispersal rate.

Like, in that guy's defense, most pickles are *way* smaller than a cucumber you'd see in a grocery store. So who's to say that pickles and cucumber isn't like zucchini and cucumber?
I don't accept that. I simply don't. There's a lot of ignorance to defend, but "pickles are cucumbers" is just common enough knowledge that I can't accept it as any Lucky 10,000 rationale.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't accept that. I simply don't. There's a lot of ignorance to defend, but "pickles are cucumbers" is just common enough knowledge that I can't accept it as any Lucky 10,000 rationale.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
US branding has every pickled thing under the sun being listed as "pickled <item>" except for cucumber. Only place it says cucumber is in the ingredient list and who reads those?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Even days without phones, there were some kids that didn't know that either. I had few classmates back in elementary school not know the difference at the time, or thought they were separate vegetables. So it's not just an exclusive generation thing.
I'm not saying I didn't expect him not to know, just that I'm surprised he didn't. Speaking generationally, there're the generations that created pickling, the generations that knew how pickling is done, and now we've generations that only know pickles are a thing you buy off the shelf. My sincere hope is that the one through-line connecting them all is the fact that a pickle doesn't come off a vine steeped in garlic, vinegar, and dill. My gf's ex husband I'd expect to have fallen in the middle category.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
US branding has every pickled thing under the sun being listed as "pickled <item>" except for cucumber. Only place it says cucumber is in the ingredient list and who reads those?
So, common sense prevailing, where might one think a "pickle" comes from? Had my gf's ex had said "I thought they were pickled [insert ANYTHING other than cucumbers], fine, but the fact he thought they were naturally grown just as his son did, that's the kind of ignorance I disrespect.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So, common sense prevailing, where might one think a "pickle" comes from? Had my gf's ex had said "I thought they were pickled [insert ANYTHING other than cucumbers], fine, but the fact he thought they were naturally grown just as his son did, that's the kind of ignorance I disrespect.
I figure it's just the opposite of people thinking the only vegetables that get ketchuped are tomatoes

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I figure it's just the opposite of people thinking the only vegetables that get ketchuped are tomatoes
Slightly a non sequitur. "Ketchup'ing" and pickling are effectively processes, but an actual pickle (not to be confused with "pickled") is vastly known to be a pickled cucumber. In my mind, I'd imagine if I were to ask 100 strangers if pickles were a naturally occurring vegetable, I'd wholly expect 100 people to tell me no. If one person said yes, I'd be shocked. If two people said yes, I'd post in this Escapist forum's thread. If three people said yes, I'd take a vow of silence, and never speak to another human being again for fear of "stupid" being infectious.

In fairness, this is coming from a man who, in his early preadolescences, thought that people's race wasn't determined by the parents, i.e.: two black people could have a Chinese baby, or two white people could have a black baby, etc. I thought race was like the coats of puppies in a single litter, all unique and fairly random. It was a pure and innocent belief, but one immediately dispelled by the time I was 8 years old when I was able to rationalize that most of my friends looked like their parents, and the idea of coincidence went out the window. This dude made it into his FIFTIES literally believing there were "pickle plants" out there somewhere. How did he not even accidentally find out the reality in over 50 years?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Slightly a non sequitur. "Ketchup'ing" and pickling are effectively processes, but an actual pickle (not to be confused with "pickled") is vastly known to be a pickled cucumber. In my mind, I'd imagine if I were to ask 100 strangers if pickles were a naturally occurring vegetable, I'd wholly expect 100 people to tell me no. If one person said yes, I'd be shocked. If two people said yes, I'd post in this Escapist forum's thread. If three people said yes, I'd take a vow of silence, and never speak to another human being again for fear of "stupid" being infectious.

In fairness, this is coming from a man who, in his early preadolescences, thought that people's race wasn't determined by the parents, i.e.: two black people could have a Chinese baby, or two white people could have a black baby, etc. I thought race was like the coats of puppies in a single litter, all unique and fairly random. It was a pure and innocent belief, but one immediately dispelled by the time I was 8 years old when I was able to rationalize that most of my friends looked like their parents, and the idea of coincidence went out the window. This dude made it into his FIFTIES literally believing there were "pickle plants" out there somewhere. How did he not even accidentally find out the reality in over 50 years?
"What we know, we know the same; what we don't know, we don't know differently" - something I read somewhere

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, I knew that's what pickles are...in an intellectual way, as I'm not interested in pickles myself.

But now you've got me curious, why is it a pickle and not a pickled cucumber, given that you can pickle other things?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ok, I knew that's what pickles are...in an intellectual way, as I'm not interested in pickles myself.

But now you've got me curious, why is it a pickle and not a pickled cucumber, given that you can pickle other things?
Illuminati plot to force us to have this conversation to further their nefarious ends

But probably just because of commonality

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

But we told this to his father for him to share in on the laugh. His response? "I didn't know that either."

Perhaps he thought it was made from some other vegetable, figured that it was pickled *something* but never realized it was cucumber? EDIT: nevermind, read post #149.

Besides, about a year ago you didn't know about the Mercator projection, something that baffled me before realizing that depending on one's life different things come up with varying frequencies so not knowing everything is only natural.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Besides, about a year ago you didn't know about the Mercator projection, something that baffled me before realizing that depending on one's life different things come up with varying frequencies so not knowing everything is only natural.
Fair enough, but...
Did you really feel the need to go back through over a year's worth of posts to find this specific exchange just to call me out today? Was it that significant to you that you even rembered it, more specifically, that it was with me, or do you keep a file of posts from other users to whip out for potential "gotcha" moments? Because either case is weird.

In post #144, I clearly stated that I don't know everything, but if pickles and the exact sizes and population densities of different countries are of the same ilk of basic knowledge in your circles, maybe I'm stupider than even I thought.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Did you really feel the need to go back through over a year's worth of posts to find this specific exchange just to call me out today? Was it that significant to you that you even rembered it, more specifically, that it was with me, or do you keep a file of posts from other users to whip out for potential "gotcha" moments? Because either case is weird.

In post #144, I clearly stated that I don't know everything, but if pickles and the exact sizes and population densities of different countries are of the same ilk of basic knowledge in your circles, maybe I'm stupider than even I thought.
I remembered it, since at the time it baffled me that someone would get that wrong, before at the time remembering the very thing I said in last post: depending on what life one lives the knowledge one retains and use varies, and moments when one gets things wrong is meant to be seen as opportunities to learn something new. Lord knows I've not known things and been afraid to ask on the prospect of looking stupid, so insults for not knowing things is something I actively avoid and I try to just be helpful. That's why your comment about a man in 50s not knowing about pickles rubbed me the wrong way. And it is not population densities I thought was basic knowledge, it was that maps make areas closer to the poles look bigger I referred to.

If I could go back in time I would delete my last post. I did not intend to insult you, and I can tell you feel insulted, and I am sorry, I should have considered that more thoroughly. You are not stupid; don't think of yourself that way.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I remembered it, since at the time it baffled me that someone would get that wrong, before at the time remembering the very thing I said in last post: depending on what life one lives the knowledge one retains and use varies, and moments when one gets things wrong is meant to be seen as opportunities to learn something new. Lord knows I've not known things and been afraid to ask on the prospect of looking stupid, so insults for not knowing things is something I actively avoid and I try to just be helpful. That's why your comment about a man in 50s not knowing about pickles rubbed me the wrong way. And it is not population densities I thought was basic knowledge, it was that maps make areas close the poles bigger I referred to.

If I could go back in time I would delete my last post. I did not intend to insult you, and I can tell you feel insulted, and I am sorry, I should have considered that more thoroughly. You are not stupid; don't think of yourself that way.
I'm not insulted, just really perplexed that anyone would go the lengths you did just to point out that I'm as subject to ignorance in ostensibly common knowledge as anyone else. Rest assured, I shared my own ignorance of Greenland's size with a multitude of people after you learned me otherwise (thanks for that,) and was met with the impression that I was not alone in my misunderstanding (American educational system at work.) I feel my gf's ex would not find the same were he to ask people if pickles grew on vines. But, it's all good; we're all learning these days.

OT,
That's a great question. I could Google it, but the mystery is far more romantic than the answer.

Reactions: Bedinsis

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Because we name shit weird. Like for a million years I assumed a gherkin was what you made pickles out of; ignorant of the fact it’s a loan word that basically means ‘pickled cucumber’. Which incidentally is usually a BABY cucumber rather than a full sized one. I suspect some confusion is caused by that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
"multidimensional neurological brain" repeats a prominent conspiracy theorist multiple times throughout their rehearsed cocktail of rants when referring to the human head sponge.

The first two words are redundant. "Brain" would've been enough, you pretentious time-wasting twat.