well, the the escapist was just attacked.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:
As somebody who doesn't give a fuck about GamerGate or the like, can someone try to explain to me what each side's intentions are?

Pro-GamerGate stands for?

Anti-GamerGate stands for?
An easy summation (at the risk of some over-simplification) is that Pro-GamerGate is mostly anti-feminist, while Anti-GamerGate is mostly pro-feminist or feminist-neutral. [footnote]At this point, at least; things can change from week to week on this thing. [/footnote]
*Cough* Some will say they aren't anti feminists because of the TFYC thing and just hate was can be deemed "social justice feminism" along with pointing out a video of a feminist saying she doesn't like this brand of cultural sexism in games feminism. *cough*

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
This is really serious, oh my god so serious. I log on for the first time in like 3 months to see this? Everyone is getting so mad though I'm kinda laughing at you guys right now. Its funny when hackers get butthurt, if my internet shuts off I have other things I can do, like my girlfriend

ANyways don't let the hackers get you butthurt the word keeps on spinning as tippy said just let them do what they want because what can you do?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I honestly don't care about any of this GamerGate or anti-GamerGate thing but when people take down a website I enjoy just because they dislike something it tends to really anger me. I hope the people responsible are found and something terrible happens to them.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:
As somebody who doesn't give a fuck about GamerGate or the like, can someone try to explain to me what each side's intentions are?

An easy summation (at the risk of some over-simplification) is that Pro-GamerGate is mostly anti-feminist, while Anti-GamerGate is mostly pro-feminist or feminist-neutral. [footnote]At this point, at least; things can change from week to week on this thing. [/footnote]
And this has what to do with journalistic integrity?

In another word: whwuh?

This shit makes no sense at all. I feel like some outside observer watching two sweaty fat guys trying to fight while slipping on their sweat puddles.
Not a whole lot; "Journalistic integrity" is just something used to attack feminist writers who often have close ties to the indie community and to fuel anti-Anita style conspiracy theories. They have gone all out on attacking people like Leigh Alexander while leaving people like Geoff Keighly alone. They have stumbled onto a couple minor things, like disclosure of patreon donations, but they have avoided the big stuff, like the influence of big AAA pubs. They also attack publications that are pro-feminist like RPS and Polygon, even though those sites have a pretty damn good record compared to places like IGN and GameSpot.

EDIT: Basically, "journalistic integrity" is to GamerGate what "states rights" is to the fight in the US for marriage equality.

Kungfusam

Jun 26, 2013
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:

This shit makes no sense at all. I feel like some outside observer watching two sweaty fat guys trying to fight while slipping on their sweat puddles.
Not a whole lot; "Journalistic integrity" is just something used to attack feminist writers who often have close ties to the indie community and to fuel anti-Anita style conspiracy theories. They have gone all out on attacking people like Leigh Alexander while leaving people like Geoff Keighly alone. They have stumbled onto a couple minor things, like disclosure of patreon donations, but they have avoided the big stuff, like the influence of big AAA pubs. They also attack publications that are pro-feminist like RPS and Polygon, even though those sites have a pretty damn good record compared to places like IGN and GameSpot.
No, this is about all the corrupt game "journalists" but since RPS Polygon Kotaku ect are proven to be the most dubious alot of the focus is on them

Leigh Alexander is a bully who makes jokes about destroying peoples dreams, I'm not sure why you'd defend her

Most annoying thing is people desperate to claim its misogyny, shows they haven't actually paid attention to whats going on, but they have to say something or else face retribution from the church of social justice

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Kungfusam said:
Leigh Alexander is a bully who makes jokes about destroying peoples dreams, I'm not sure why you'd defend her
Funny how nobody on the pro-GamerGate side says the same things about that Milo guy from Breitbart, or InternetAristocrat, or Davis Aurini... apparently, being a "bully" is okay when you're supporting the "right" agenda.

Most annoying thing is people desperate to claim its misogyny, shows they haven't actually paid attention to whats going on, but they have to say something or else face retribution from the church of social justice
Actually, the most annoying thing is all of the people claiming GamerGate is just about journalistic integrity right before going on to take snipes at social justice advocates. And since literally no journalist who isn't widely known as a social justice advocate has been accused of "corruption" so far...

MarsAtlas said:
Be safe, and try not to get an aneurysm.
Avoiding the forums is probably one of the better options these days.

I don't use the term lightly, but it's honestly kind of depressing seeing the bile that's come out because of this whole thing. All of the arbitrary lines drawn in the sand, people being shoehorned in to "sides" simply because they choose to remain skeptical, all of the petty character assassination, the self-aggrandizing and unironic blasting of "the opponent's" agenda while pushing their own with the exact same rhetoric, professional journalists stooping to insults, people saying they're not trying to exclude women while promoting the works of genuinely sexist people, conspiracy theories flying off the walls everywhere you look, just... *sigh* I thought the gaming community was better than this, and I'm sad to be proven wrong every single day for going on six weeks now.

For the sake of my own sanity, I'm probably just going to ignore the forums entirely for the next few days. Just stick to the user group that's been the main reason I've stuck around here for so long in the first place.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
First gamergate started for integrity after journalists destroyed a charity for women, but since journalists posted racist things on twitter its basically asking for their resignations at this point. Whats been said just can't be forgotten and forgiven.

anti-gamergate is saying gamergate is an angry hypocritical misogynist mob out to stop free speech. They want it to go away, and they are mostly concerned with defending internet celebrities. Spearheaded by journalists accused of corruption.

Thats the gist of it.
No, no. See, Gamergates are a bunch of lonely virgin loser manchilds who are jealous of any success a woman can have while anti Gamergates are a bunch of perfect paragons of justice who can do no wrong what so ever. There is absolutely nothing more to it than that. /s

Honestly the hate of GG probably outweighs any hate FROM GG by a huge margin.

OT: Weird timezones meant I missed this. Kinda like showing up to a theatre just as they start taking things down. Feel like I missed a good show.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Ignore him, Breakfast Man has been repeatedly deploying logical fallacies and the like onto the GamerGate thread. He's one of the people who deeply desires this to be all about women and misogyny which, if it was that, wouldn't explain why Archon changed the code of ethics for ALL Delfy Media websites because of things that the GG movement brought up.

Pro Gamergate are for a solid journalistic code of ethics (like this site introduced) and a general reduction in clickbait articles (As Archon himself has pointed out the latter is very hard due to low returns and THE PROGRAM WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED). Some in the Pro Gamergate also try to hang concerns about certain high profile feminists and organizations that get extremely supportive press on the banner but in the end all we want is for game journalists not to write more 'Gamers Are Dead' articles and to police their ethics better.

Anti gamergate seem to believe that since Gamergate's spark was a woman's infidelity and abuse of her male partner (and yes, Zoe Quinn exhibits many signs of having been an abusive partner) that Gamergate is about misogyny and a desire to harass women (This is a logical fallacy commonly known as the Genetic Fallacy), this is despite the Pro Gamergate side reporting any harassment from either side to the relevant authorities and signing en masse a petition by Boogie to condemn harassment from all sides. Others on the AGG side seem to believe that as some conservatives like Brietbart and Adam Baldwin are reporting favorably on the Gamergate movement all Gamergaters must be extreme conservatives (Guilty By Association fallacy)

There's a ton of sub movements within the greater movement as is common to any decentralized internet movement and I, as a GamerGate activist repeatedly condemn embarrassment and press GamerGate activists to stay civil and polite. I reported any harassment that I saw to the relevant authorities because any harassment is bad no matter what the ideology is and I wish the extremists on both sides screaming slurs at one another would just shut up and let us deal with the journos who have breached journalistic ethics.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
First gamergate started for integrity after journalists destroyed a charity for women
wat

I mean, I was here, on this site, when the first thread about the issue was really put up, and half of the complaints were about how Zoe was a slut. Not saying that that is all anybody cared about, but to say that people weren't saying shit like that is blatantly false.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sutter Cane said:
Fappy said:
Here's my conspiracy theory: pro-GamerGate script kitty staged the attack so that it looked like anti-GG people were trying to shut down the discussion by force!
So when the pro gamergate side accuses of one of their opponents of doxing or hacking themselves you (rightly) criticize them for it, but when someone attacks the pro gamergate side it's perfectly reasonable to assume they did it to their own side. That's not hypocritical at all
By calling it a "conspiracy theory" you realize I am being sarcastic, right? Right?!

God I hope so.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I was wondering what that was all about. So now this fucking gamer gate crap is affecting people who aren't involved. Perfect...

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Revnak said:
Ultratwinkie said:
First gamergate started for integrity after journalists destroyed a charity for women
wat

I mean, I was here, on this site, when the first thread about the issue was really put up, and half of the complaints were about how Zoe was a slut. Not saying that that is all anybody cared about, but to say that people weren't saying shit like that is blatantly false.
Gamergate came way after that. People think of it was the zoe quinn thing but it didn't start until TFYC and Adam Baldwin showed up.

Gamergate came out of the revelation that TFYC was silenced by corrupt journalists. Who then posted racist shit like wanting to start violence against blacks for oogling white women.
Historical revisionism and cherry picking at its finest. You may as well say the american revolutionary war didn't start till july 4th 1776 because before then the declaration of independence hadn't been signed yet.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Fappy said:
Sutter Cane said:
Fappy said:
Here's my conspiracy theory: pro-GamerGate script kitty staged the attack so that it looked like anti-GG people were trying to shut down the discussion by force!
So when the pro gamergate side accuses of one of their opponents of doxing or hacking themselves you (rightly) criticize them for it, but when someone attacks the pro gamergate side it's perfectly reasonable to assume they did it to their own side. That's not hypocritical at all
By calling it a "conspiracy theory" you realize I am being sarcastic, right? Right?!

God I hope so.
Don't get too ruffled it's been a long 5 weeks and sarcasm in text is hard to read at the best of times. If it's any condolences I did pick up on it though.

(Though I did like the 'Script Kitty' part. The Internet Is Made Of Cats after all.)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
vallorn said:
Fappy said:
Sutter Cane said:
Fappy said:

God I hope so.
Don't get too ruffled it's been a long 5 weeks and sarcasm in text is hard to read at the best of times. If it's any condolences I did pick up on it though.

(Though I did like the 'Script Kitty' part. The Internet Is Made Of Cats after all.)
(It probably would have made more sense if I still had my cat avatar XD)

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Revnak said:
Ultratwinkie said:
wat

Gamergate came way after that. People think of it was the zoe quinn thing but it didn't start until TFYC and Adam Baldwin showed up.

Gamergate came out of the revelation that TFYC was silenced by corrupt journalists. Who then posted racist shit like wanting to start violence against blacks for oogling white women.
No. It started when people started going after quinn. Sure, it got a name much later, but it started with going after quinn. That's when people started making threads, that's wen people started getting kicked out of /v/ and reddit, that's when this started. And people knew about TFYC from the first thread. I remember reading about that right off the bat.

I'm not even of the opinion that all the people gamergate is going after are completely blameless (though going after the Gearbox guy is ridiculous because he never claimed to actually have used his connections to get better reviews, he was saying that there was more evidence that he did than that many of the developers gamergate was going after did, but hey, I bet you have a perfect explanation for why we ought to assume the absolute worst about his statements), but it started with the misogynistic nonsense.