well, the the escapist was just attacked.

AntithesisD

Sep 19, 2014
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious. Yes. This is an attack by the Anti-Gamergate side. Kuchera was unable to browbeat Greg Tito into censoring the discussion, now that the corrupt journalists are losing this debate rapidly, the Anti-GG side is desperate to shut down the discussion.

They've already begun censoring on 4chan. They've turned it into a SJW hugbox, to the point where being politically incorrect in /b/ (the bloody POLITICALLY INCORRECT FORUM) is a ban worthy offense.

If you wonder why the Anti-GG side is doing this, the answer is simple:

They're bloody terrified of losing their power.

For about 3 years now, they've had the privilege to attack, patronize, and demean others. They could insult people sarcastically, insinuate that all attempts to disagree with them were based on "racism" or "misogyny" rather than logic. Now with Gamergate being more popular and them being shown for who they are, they are absolutely desperate to end the discussion.

They've been painting us as the harassers, us as the doxxers and the "hackers". You can all see now, that this is a lie. They're a group founded on hatred, a clique desperate to retain their power and trying to censor the opposing side's discussion.

Say what you will of us, but we haven't been attempting to bring down sites for allowing the opposing side to speak.

So the next time someone says "We aren't trying to silence you" or "we aren't trying to take your games or websites away!" just know that it is a lie. It happened to 4chan. It's attempting to happen here. We wont let them silence us.
I would be very careful on pointing the finger regarding this DDOS towards anyone. We don't KNOW that there were Anti-#GamerGate behind it. It might just aswell have been a false flag, or just random ftlulz-trolling. That the anti-#GamerGate sides aren't as clean slated as they like to appear, though... there isn't a doubt of that.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Gasp! My account might be compromised? Good god, some madman might earn me badges!

*Sigh*, this shit has been going on far too long...

RANT TIME

Gamergate (god, I hate that word) has, in my mind, become the Palestine of gaming "debate" two sets of really shitty people trying to get the whole world involved in their overblown struggle over... what, exactly? Who can stoop the lowest to "win the argument"? And what then? What happens if you "win the argument"? What's the endgame, here, exactly? There is none. It's just two groups yelling at the other to shut up as loudly as they can. No one benefits from this bullshit.

If even the tiniest modicum of fervour that people seem to feel over this, and I can't stress this enough, completely inane non-issue, were directed towards a useful purpose...

You want to be a big man, or fight for freedom? There's a bunch of shit going down in Ukraine right now, and we could do with a new international brigade. Otherwise, you're not some crusader of justice, or a liberator of the downtrodden, you're just a screaming child with a keyboard and too much damn time on your hands.

RANT OVER

I realize there are a lot of people on either side of this thing who really aren't colossal arseholes, and, I would like to appeal to your sense of reason, and say that's no good is ever going to come out of this. For the sake of everyone, let's just let this thing die, shall we? Whenever we see a thread that's about this shit, let's just ignore it until it goes away, and talk about video games instead.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
The simple fact of the matter is the world sees the Anti-GG types for what they are now. This hacking is because they disrespect the basic tenants of free speech. They hate, loathe, the loss of their control. They're desperate to silence the opposition and will use any means necessary to do so.
Neh. The world sees nothing. Out of all the people i know who play games, even professionally.. exactly 0 people know of "Gamergate" more than.. well: "There's a shitstorm happening".
Because outside this bloggo/twitter/reddit-sphere on the internet nobody gives a ratsass. Nobody with an unce of a brain every relied on "game journalism" since roughly 10 years.

It's the most blown out-of-proportion shitstorm i've ever seen. And it's kinda hillarious to watch it from the outside tbh.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shanicus said:
You know, THOSE people! THOSE guys who do horrible things for X side I disagree with, THOSE bastards! It's all THEIR fault, we should totally blame THEM guys! THEY'RE out to destroy everything we love and hold dear!

In other news, rampant paranoia about a nebulous group is actually kinda fun. Just don't tell THEM, THEY'LL be unhappy about it.
OOOhhhhh you mean its that guy who everyone hates? you know the one...well that explains it

Adeptus Aspartem said:
It's the most blown out-of-proportion shitstorm i've ever seen. And it's kinda hillarious to watch it from the outside tbh.
hilarious and sad

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, what I need to know is this: as a prominent SJW, am I safe from this "attack?"

shrekfan246 said:
Actually, they gain the perception that it's being perpetrated by the anti-GamerGate side in an attempt to "stifle" discussion, thereby "proving" that they have something to hide or whatever else.
Come on, Shrek, you're asking people to believe that people on the internet would be willing to do something that falsely paints another group in a negative light.

(and that sort of accusation can only be lobbed at Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn).

Honestly, the one thing I wish people would have learned after the Sarkeesian/police thing is that jumping on things before all information is out is just stupid. But here we are again.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Fappy said:
Here's my conspiracy theory: pro-GamerGate script kitty staged the attack so that it looked like anti-GG people were trying to shut down the discussion by force!
So when the pro gamergate side accuses of one of their opponents of doxing or hacking themselves you (rightly) criticize them for it, but when someone attacks the pro gamergate side it's perfectly reasonable to assume they did it to their own side. That's not hypocritical at all

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Okay, what I need to know is this: as a prominent SJW, am I safe from this "attack?"

shrekfan246 said:
Actually, they gain the perception that it's being perpetrated by the anti-GamerGate side in an attempt to "stifle" discussion, thereby "proving" that they have something to hide or whatever else.
Come on, Shrek, you're asking people to believe that people on the internet would be willing to do something that falsely paints another group in a negative light.

(and that sort of accusation can only be lobbed at Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn).

Honestly, the one thing I wish people would have learned after the Sarkeesian/police thing is that jumping on things before all information is out is just stupid. But here we are again.
We don't know but people have been advised to change their passwords all the same. Seems to be a large unfocused sweep, according to other people smarter than I.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
What's up with all the anger and the "us versus them" mentality going on? This is not a war.

Lastly, I didn't even say firstly, don't hackers have anything else better to do other than being a bunch of pathetic humans who has no idea how to deal with life in a mature way?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
grimner said:
Only if you did your daily public denial of the Patriarchy from the top of your lungs. If you didn't... THEY will know. THEY won't forgive.
Oh, phew. I'm safe.

Because some peoplem at the very best, don't seem to understand that journalism of the calibre of CNN's "find the lost Malaysian plane" is dreadful on all possible counts. And at the very worst seem to confuse "journalism" for anything that panders to my viewpoint. Like with that Sarkeesian/police thing, the truth of the matter won't matter if and when it comes out; some very vocal people will have already played chinese whispers with it and unsured the narrative sticks.
I really despise the 24 hour news cycle and the whole "Malaysia plane hunt" crap. But at least CNN's doing it because they;re trying to make money. As poor an excuse for journalism as they may be, it's understandable. But a bunch of people on the internet screaming at each other?

I don't get it.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
grimner said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
but its just hearing about jim right now infuriates me, he has not addressed this properly, that tweetlonger was very half-assed and in none of his videos has he ever addressed the abuses of the anti-gamergate side, hell they probably just DDoS'd the very website he works for and he still wont talk about it
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/513425805595406336

Jim Sterling
‏@JimSterling
The *only* thing I know for sure about whoever brought The Escapist down today is that it's a shithead with a head made of shit.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/513426032561778688

Jim Sterling
‏@JimSterling
I don't care what "side" the shitheads are on, all I know that them fucking off would be grand.

So, yeah, he did address it. He did not accuse anyone in particular because, and yet again, as with so many stuff going on in all of this debacle, the fact-to-conjecture ratio doesn't really allow anyone to say who did what.
I wholeheartedly support that statement.

Shitheads are shitheads and they're no representation of the group they've decided to 'help'.
Whoever did this and for whatever reason, they shouldn't be used in any was as an example of that group.

That's something people should be able to stand together on, no matter what side of the gate you're on, or even neutral/apathetic.
Doxxing, ddossing or harassing are not acceptable.

TheNewGuy

Nov 18, 2012
Paradox SuXcess said:
Don't hackers have anything better to do other than be a bunch of pathetic humans who have no idea how to deal with life in a mature way?
Almost by their very nature, they do not.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Paradox SuXcess said:
What's up with all the anger and the "us versus them" mentality going on? This is not a war.
That's exactly what THEY would say!

Look! One of them's over here!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
You may want to follow the Twitter link you posted and see what other comments Randy Pitchford and Anthony Burch have made. It would appear that they're being quite badly misunderstood, deliberately.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xaszatm said:
We don't know but people have been advised to change their passwords all the same. Seems to be a large unfocused sweep, according to other people smarter than I.
I already changed mine. This was mostly a pisstake about the accusations that the evil SJWs were attacking the good and righteous people of #GamerGate, trying to make them look bad.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
As somebody who doesn't give a fuck about GamerGate or the like, can someone try to explain to me what each side's intentions are? Who would gain from attacking the forums?

Pro-GamerGate stands for?

Anti-GamerGate stands for?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
As somebody who doesn't give a fuck about GamerGate or the like, can someone try to explain to me what each side's intentions are?

An easy summation (at the risk of some over-simplification) is that Pro-GamerGate is mostly anti-feminist/"SJW", while Anti-GamerGate is mostly pro-feminist/"SJW" or feminist/"SJW"-neutral. [footnote]At this point, at least; things can change from week to week on this thing. [/footnote]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Soviet Heavy said:
As somebody who doesn't give a fuck about GamerGate or the like, can someone try to explain to me what each side's intentions are?

An easy summation (at the risk of some over-simplification) is that Pro-GamerGate is mostly anti-feminist, while Anti-GamerGate is mostly pro-feminist or feminist-neutral. [footnote]At this point, at least; things can change from week to week on this thing. [/footnote]
And this has what to do with journalistic integrity?

In another word: whwuh?

This shit makes no sense at all. I feel like some outside observer watching two sweaty fat guys trying to fight while slipping on their sweat puddles.