Well, the Warcraft movie is a bit rubbish.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Yeah. Garona's appearance takes priority over lore consistency. That's why we have all the retconns.

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
wizzy555 said:
Yeah. Garona's appearance takes priority over lore consistency. That's why we have all the retconns.
Movie is its own continuity, man.
I mean, shit, they erased any possibility of a Med'an. That's a good thing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
As the film took the Chinese box office by storm, a sequel...or set of sequels...is a distinct possibility. Hopefully they'll find a better balance between fan service and making a functional movie if that turns out to be the case.
I think you're underselling it. Currently, the domestic gross makes up less than 10% of the worldwide. The movie made back its budget the first weekend in China alone, and it's going to do fine.

Distinct possibility? The only thing in question, I think, is if the sequels will be in Mandarin or English. xD

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
TheMigrantSoldier said:
From the trailers and footage that I've seen, I can tell that they were taking the story too seriously. Warcraft isn't Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. It's cheesy, over-the-top and light-hearted with a somewhat serious story in the background, down to the individual quotes of the units ("Me no sound like Yoda! Do I?"). If you treat it as anything but, it's a pretty generic fantasy setting.
So?

Just because its generic does not mean its not done well? Dragon Age is basically D&D, Tolkien, and Game of Thrones were put in blender, but I enjoyed the first game so much regardless because it made its world building and characters well.

And all those jokes and humor are just 4th wall breaking easter eggs that really does not happen in the actual lore and stories.

This is what pisses me off when people think of Warcraft they think its all just Leeroy Jenkins and funny quotes and 4th wall breaking references. When to me Warcraft is about the World itself and the characters and the music, and the sense of scail and epicness.

That is the meat of Warcraft to me, the jokes and 4th wall breaking references are just the cherry on the top because its Blizzard being Blizzard and this is something they do to Starcraft and Diablo aswell, but appearently that cherry is sadly what defines Warcraft to alot of people.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
I just saw it today and....I liked it. I thought it was good. I don't get what everyone's issue is.

Garona
Okay was no one paying attention when Medivh spoke to her. He more or less came out and said. 'I'm yo daddy.' Sorry if he didn't hold up a sign.

I really don't get the hate this movie is getting or the complaints about the acting. It was stiff at points but everyone had a reason for how they were acting. Really if your at all a fan of Warcraft, and I'll admit this is a movie you get more out of through being a fan. Go see it. It's no where near as bad as people are saying.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
From the trailers and footage that I've seen, I can tell that they were taking the story too seriously. Warcraft isn't Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. It's cheesy, over-the-top and light-hearted with a somewhat serious story in the background, down to the individual quotes of the units ("Me no sound like Yoda! Do I?"). If you treat it as anything but, it's a pretty generic fantasy setting.
So?

Just because its generic does not mean its not done well? Dragon Age is basically D&D, Tolkien, and Game of Thrones were put in blender, but I enjoyed the first game so much regardless because it made its world building and characters well.

And all those jokes and humor are just 4th wall breaking easter eggs that really does not happen in the actual lore and stories.

This is what pisses me off when people think of Warcraft they think its all just Leeroy Jenkins and funny quotes and 4th wall breaking references. When to me Warcraft is about the World itself and the characters and the music, and the sense of scail and epicness.

That is the meat of Warcraft to me, the jokes and 4th wall breaking references are just the cherry on the top because its Blizzard being Blizzard and this is something they do to Starcraft and Diablo aswell, but appearently that cherry is sadly what defines Warcraft to alot of people.
The humor/cheese is neither the base or the "cherry" of Warcraft. It's an integral part, but nothing without the serious story and, in my opinion, vice-versa.

I'm not just talking about the easter eggs. You have dwarf mortar teams screaming "Mortar Kombat!" as soon as they're trained, Orcs that sound like homicidal Yodas, gloriously hammy voice acting (see Bill Roper in Warcraft 2), talking cow native Americans, etc. But if you remove that, it loses some of its magic. Hell, Jackson's Hobbit showed more whimsy and silliness.

That said, I haven't seen the movie, just going by the trailer's pitch of it.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Seanfall said:
I just saw it today and....I liked it. I thought it was good. I don't get what everyone's issue is.

Garona
Okay was no one paying attention when Medivh spoke to her. He more or less came out and said. 'I'm yo daddy.' Sorry if he didn't hold up a sign.

I really don't get the hate this movie is getting or the complaints about the acting. It was stiff at points but everyone had a reason for how they were acting. Really if your at all a fan of Warcraft, and I'll admit this is a movie you get more out of through being a fan. Go see it. It's no where near as bad as people are saying.
Yeah I'm kinda baffled by the reaction too.

Okay its not going to win any Oscars but its solid enough. I enjoyed it, was a lot of fun.

I dunno why there's so much hate on it.

As far as the bit in the spoiler: Also yeah I'm not sure how anybody missed that either. Its REALLY blatant.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Even as a "don't take itself too seriously" story Warcraft's lore is pretty crap.

I can't tell you exactly what's wrong with it other than it just comes across as lame.

I can only describe it as a derivative story filled with cheesy cliches, "convenient" turn of events and schizophrenic characters (with an occasional helping of Mary Sues), that read like bad fan fiction.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
deadish said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Even as a "don't take itself too seriously" story Warcraft's lore is pretty crap.

I can't tell you exactly what's wrong with it other than it just comes across as lame.

I can only describe it as a derivative story filled with cheesy cliches, "convenient" turn of events and schizophrenic characters (with an occasional helping of Mary Sues), that read like bad fan fiction.
There are dumb moments yes, but overall I just love this world and its lore. I mean read the World of Warcraft Chronicles books which is now the comprehensive full lore of the franchise (with a dabbing of probably much needed retcons)

You mention Mary Sues, name one example?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Samtemdo8 said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
So?

The humor/cheese is neither the base or the "cherry" of Warcraft. It's an integral part, but nothing without the serious story and, in my opinion, vice-versa.

I'm not just talking about the easter eggs. You have dwarf mortar teams screaming "Mortar Kombat!" as soon as they're trained, Orcs that sound like homicidal Yodas, gloriously hammy voice acting (see Bill Roper in Warcraft 2), talking cow native Americans, etc. But if you remove that, it loses some of its magic. Hell, Jackson's Hobbit showed more whimsy and silliness.

That said, I haven't seen the movie, just going by the trailer's pitch of it.
Yes and I know that Wacrraft has its silly parts like the Gnomes and Goblins but it was always at the side of things I mean a Warcraft Goblin did not blew a raspberry in the face of one of the major villains of the game. Voice Acting I definately agree with you. I desperately hope future movies makes the acting more like this:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Med'an. :(
I think its safe to say that even Blizzard themselves dislike Me'dan and has quietly retconned him.

I mean Khadgar has his staff. And we have not seen him after the infamous final volume of the World of Warcraft comic book.

But regarding Warcraft itself, I admit the lore in the games can be as dense as Superhero Comic books, you don't know where to start.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I think its safe to say that even Blizzard themselves dislike Me'dan and has quietly retconned him.

I mean Khadgar has his staff. And we have not seen him after the infamous final volume of the World of Warcraft comic book.

But regarding Warcraft itself, I admit the lore in the games can be as dense as Superhero Comic books, you don't know where to start.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Med%27an#Recent_activities

Med'an's still around, just not present, so to speak. I think there's a literary term for this, but basically it's a case where a character is pushed to the side in the hope that he/she will be forgotten.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Halyah said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

As a long time fan, I'd say warcraft lore is about on par with that of a superhero comicbook at this point. I'd compare it to modern DC pretty much.
Yes pretty much and like Superhero comics sometimes you get rubbish (Warlords of Draenor and some parts of Catacylsm) and sometimes you get gold (Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
*reads through the comments*

Ok so as a guy who honestly was into warcraft 2 but NOT warcraft 3 and WoW, I was curious but guess this film isn't for me.

The idea of seeing the events of warcraft 1/2 with what little plot there is was appealing, just starting with the orcs invading and ending with the alliance pushing them back through the dark portal, sounded like a no brainer..
But being infodumped on wc3 stuff, which doesn't even matter yet and have no relevance to this particular story, seemed like shooting yourself in the foot. Still gotta respect doing it "for the fans" I guess.

But sounds to me they loaded it up with crap that doesn't belong in this story, should have saved the wc3 lore dumping for the actual wc3 movie.

Seeing as others are linking vids to show how they would have wanted the film to be... This is the premise I'd have expected the first warcraft movie all about:
So yeh, mostly war and presenting the world, less infodumps and name dropping characters who won't matter until 10 years later.

Also I like the idea some had of just having it from the orc's perspective and discovering Azeroth like they do, covering the first warcraft game since they canonically won that one.
Then switching to the Alliance in the 2nd film since they win it.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
There are dumb moments yes, but overall I just love this world and its lore. I mean read the World of Warcraft Chronicles books which is now the comprehensive full lore of the franchise (with a dabbing of probably much needed retcons)

Thrall and King Chin. The latter Blizzard tried so hard to make us like. Even if it meant making other characters to hold the idiot ball.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
deadish said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Thrall and King Chin. The latter Blizzard tried so hard to make us like. Even if it meant making other characters to hold the idiot ball.
I like King Chin (Varian Wrynn) as a character. I mean especially how much he has grown as a chararacter from an angry horde hating asshole but thanks to his his son Anduin he certainly mellowed. And oh man Legion is gonna make me cry.

Thrall oh Thrall. You know it was only until Cataclysm he became "A Gary Stu" from Warcraft 3 to Wrath of the Lich King he was reletively consistant.

I mean if he was Gary Stu at the beginning he failed terribly at hurting Mannoroth in that cinematic: