We're The Good Guys Now

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
scienceguy8 said:
Man you guys work fast. What was it? Wednesday?

Still, no desire to buy an XBox One. My PC/Mac does just fine, thank you very much. Plus if they were willing to do this once, they'll be willing to do it again someday.
I have no reason to believe they won't reverse the policy in the long run. Nor do I believe Sony won't eventually do the same. Both platforms represent a huge push to digital distribution as the only means of getting software and, one way or another, the days of trading games are numbered.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Z of the Na said:

That is the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life.
I like how they accurately captured how much of a shitbag this guy usually looks like. Seriously, have you ever seen a person you trust less than that picture where he's supposed to be showing off the xbox one? The one with the dead, soulless eyes and the least convincing smile ever?

OT: Yep, they may have turned back the decision, but the damage to people's trust in microsoft is already done, and may still lose them the next gen.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Nimcha said:
All this focus on tangential stuff is very annoying. With a new console come new games, that's what all the attention should be on. But neither Microsoft nor 'the internet' seems to care about that. :(
An opinion this... questionable I feel deserves a hyperbolic response:

This is like "I came to this restaurant and the waiter ****ed me in the *** while he was serving me, but that's beside the point since the food was quite good."

It really bothers me that there are so many people willing to accept this kind of thing just so they aren't inconvenienced. In my eyes it's the same as the PRISM thing, whether it's 'I don't have anything to hide' or 'I have good internet' that's not the point, the point is wanting to be treated like an citizen and not a preemptive criminal.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
I was planning on buying Kingdom Heart 3, since Microsoft reverse their decision on the important issue, it gonna be a ***** deciding which one to buy now. Its 180 moves like that makes it hard for consumers to make any easy decision. Hopefully, that will change in the near future
Is it though? honestly I doubt that it is, the XBone came out the gate like a prisoner telling his cellmate that he is gonna fuck him in the ass whether the cellmate likes it or not, the appearance of a well sharpened shiv changes his tune a bit but he is still a threat to the cellmate.
M$ will sneak their bullshit in again one way or another eventually and anybody with a lick of sense knows that and wont buy their 1984-brick

PoloniumFist

Aug 30, 2011
Honestly I hope the XBL " 360xxNoSC0P3xxSmokeSpaghettiEveryday xXx " type people stay on XBL when I switch to Playstation. That was the only thing I hated when playing multiplayer games on Xbox 360 -- the cyberbullying was off the charts.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
SurfKansas said:
As a self-proclaimed PS4 fanboy, I actually hope the XB1 sells really well now. Microsoft got it handed to them for being anti-consumer, they listened to the consumers, and hopefully, the consumers vote with their wallet to show support fo consumer-friendly products.

I have no plans for buying an XB1. But, look at all the 360 did for PS3. If Sony was the only player in town, would they have dropped the cash to build exclusive "hardware moving" titles like Uncharted 2 or God of War 3? We only have PS Plus (with its free game collection) because of XB Live. And, would Sony have spent the effort creating a next-gen machine if their only competition was the Wii U?

Generally, competition in a market is a very good thing for consumers. I like seeing a company take some lumps for being anti-consumer, but I want to see XBox bounce back.
Yeah, the horrible compromise. You can either have people supporting companies that make s*** hardware, or you could have a monopoly. And no-one wants the second one, for sure. I guess that'll always have to be the case in a capitalist market, and it has its ups and downs. I certainly don't want the Xbone to be a complete failure, but I do want it and, in turn, Microsoft, to suffer and to feel the impact of embracing extremely anti-consumer practices to begin with and then having people like "#dealwithit", "no xbox one potential customer doesn't have an internet connection" and "I can't flip the switch" defend them against an upset consumer base.

I don't want it to fail, but I want to be able to stand proud as part of a consumer base that shouted a giant company into the ground and made it feel that its customers are still their most viable asset. I know the Xbox won't fail, that's for sure. But if at the end of the generation can stand together and clearly say the PS4 as the winner, I will be happy.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
l3o2828 said:
A Critical Miss comic i find funny, and not obtuse or pretentious.
Hooray.
Wait, really you find this comic series obtuse and pretentious? can you cite some examples? They've all been pretty straight forward in there point to me. I have yet to see one that I didn't understand right away.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
I was planning on buying Kingdom Heart 3, since Microsoft reverse their decision on the important issue, it gonna be a ***** deciding which one to buy now. Its 180 moves like that makes it hard for consumers to make any easy decision. Hopefully, that will change in the near future
For consistency with KH3 I'd suggest using the PS4 instead of an Xbone. Plus I think KH HD 1.5 Final Remix Super Explosion Money Fun Time (seriously, just call it the KH HD Collection; rolls off the tongue much better) will be exclusive to the PS4.[sic] Plus it's cheaper, so if anything I'd say buy the PS4 first if you're really hankering for a console and then wait for the Xbone to drop down from its $500 price point; or buy one used just to give MS the finger. (which I assume will happen right after they realize nobody is hooking up their Kinects)

oskalaboska

Sep 25, 2012
Treaos Serrare said:
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
Is it though? honestly I doubt that it is, the XBone came out the gate like a prisoner telling his cellmate that he is gonna fuck him in the ass whether the cellmate likes it or not, the appearance of a well sharpened shiv changes his tune a bit but he is still a threat to the cellmate.
M$ will sneak their bullshit in again one way or another eventually and anybody with a lick of sense knows that and wont buy their 1984-brick
Can I just say, that is the most apt analogy I've ever read to my feelings on this whole situation.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yep this is why them changing their plan ultimately doesn't mean much unless they actually stick to it. With how easy it was for them to apparently reverse it who's to say if they'll suddenly change policies some day and reapply all their nasty anti-consumer restrictions.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I'm glad M$ recanted, but I still won't be buying their product anytime soon.

While I know this isn't likely, there's nothing to keep them from reinstituting the policy after the consumer base has purchased their product. The outcry would be unthinkable, but they will find a way I'm sure.

I still think that M$ should eat more crow, and that the XBONE's sales should suffer as a result. Such results are the only way to dissuade such anti-consumer policies.

Still, PS4 is $100 cheaper, and XBONE is like the abusive spouse who promises to be good. Sure, the internet may turn the consumer base into a mob from time to time, but we're a well-informed mob.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Z of the Na said:

That is the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life.
That is sime High Octane Nightmare Fuel right there. Why would you do this to us?

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
scienceguy8 said:
Man you guys work fast. What was it? Wednesday?

Still, no desire to buy an XBox One. My PC/Mac does just fine, thank you very much. Plus if they were willing to do this once, they'll be willing to do it again someday.
this is pretty much my stance. This wasn't a PR stunt, this is something they completely felt justified;righteous even; in doing and we were the ones with the problem. They're only falling back because they realized they wouldn't get away with it, which isn't the same a being wrong. If they had no problem this time it means they won't have a problem doing it or worse again in the future.

TomWest

Sep 16, 2007
Any commenters care to take a guess as to what percentage of the buying public will let this reversed decision affect their purchase choice? What percentage will even know there was a controversy?

My guess: 1-2% on the buying choice, less than 5% will know there was a policy decision made at all.

While there was a small chance that this debacle could have been the butterfly wing flap that caused a hurricane (and thus was probably worth MS reversing their decision), this will mostly be forgotten by the next news cycle.

The 10,000 knowledgeable hard-core that might decide to punish MS will be completely lost in the millions that will buy from Walmart and don't even know what DRM is... (Among my non-geek XBox 360-owning friends, only 1 of 5 had heard of the Red Ring of Death.)

It's fun to debate, but it's helpful to remember that we all exist inside a bubble that is statistically insignificant as far as real sales goes.