We're The Good Guys Now

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
TomWest said:
Any commenters care to take a guess as to what percentage of the buying public will let this reversed decision affect their purchase choice? What percentage will even know there was a controversy?

My guess: 1-2% on the buying choice, less than 5% will know there was a policy decision made at all.

While there was a small chance that this debacle could have been the butterfly wing flap that caused a hurricane (and thus was probably worth MS reversing their decision), this will mostly be forgotten by the next news cycle.

The 10,000 knowledgeable hard-core that might decide to punish MS will be completely lost in the millions that will buy from Walmart and don't even know what DRM is... (Among my non-geek XBox 360-owning friends, only 1 of 5 had heard of the Red Ring of Death.)

It's fun to debate, but it's helpful to remember that we all exist inside a bubble that is statistically insignificant as far as real sales goes.
This is - unfortunately - depressingly true. I hope some people do their homework before buying a console, but it won't be enough. Damn the uninformed masses. Damn them

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
I was planning on buying Kingdom Heart 3, since Microsoft reverse their decision on the important issue, it gonna be a ***** deciding which one to buy now. Its 180 moves like that makes it hard for consumers to make any easy decision. Hopefully, that will change in the near future
For consistency with KH3 I'd suggest using the PS4 instead of an Xbone. Plus I think KH HD 1.5 Final Remix Super Explosion Money Fun Time (seriously, just call it the KH HD Collection; rolls off the tongue much better) will be exclusive to the PS4.[sic] Plus it's cheaper, so if anything I'd say buy the PS4 first if you're really hankering for a console and then wait for the Xbone to drop down from its $500 price point; or buy one used just to give MS the finger. (which I assume will happen right after they realize nobody is hooking up their Kinects)
I can only find the hd collection for ps3, do you know of any links that confirm ps4 as well?

OT: Speaking as someone who only had an original xbox and xbox 360, yeah that's what happened.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Lilani said:
tdylan said:
Lilani said:
I'd still go for the PS4 if I were you. Apart from Kingdom Hearts, the x-bone still requires that registration connection, and from what I understand it needs to be connected every time you install a game from disc. So...yeah. Every time you load a new game you have to be connected, that'll be annoying.
What? No ****ing way! If true, that didn't really fix the problem. If I'm deployed overseas, I can't have my family send me any new games, and I can't buy new games on base because each game will require me to be connected to the internet to install it? If so, they're still screwing the people with no internet.
Okay, actually I just researched it, and that might be wrong. You can install a game to the cloud if you want, but after that first-time registration no more internet connection is required for disc-based games, if I'm reading right. Using the cloud isn't required. So either what I heard is an unjustified rumor spawned from hate, or I just misunderstood.

Either way I'm still getting the PS4, though. We're three weeks post-announcement and we still aren't 100% clear on how the x-bone works. Even before this change there was still misinformation and questions floating around. That's ridiculous, and very sketchy. And the pressure doesn't change the fact that they still saw people without Internet as a disposable part of their customer base.

Nimcha said:
All this focus on tangential stuff is very annoying. With a new console come new games, that's what all the attention should be on. But neither Microsoft nor 'the internet' seems to care about that. :(
However, consoles are what makes playing those games possible. So how the consoles run is a pretty big deal ;-)
Actually, I heard a rumor that the game sharing was more of a glorified demo. Your friend downloaded the game and could play it for 15-60 minutes and then would be stopped, taken to the store and asked if they wanted to purchase the game.

Not sure if it's true, but I only just got home and haven't looked to see if the rumor has any teeth.
Also, I totally expect to see a Neo RROD from what I heard of the production.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Dark Knifer said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
I was planning on buying Kingdom Heart 3, since Microsoft reverse their decision on the important issue, it gonna be a ***** deciding which one to buy now. Its 180 moves like that makes it hard for consumers to make any easy decision. Hopefully, that will change in the near future
For consistency with KH3 I'd suggest using the PS4 instead of an Xbone. Plus I think KH HD 1.5 Final Remix Super Explosion Money Fun Time (seriously, just call it the KH HD Collection; rolls off the tongue much better) will be exclusive to the PS4.[sic] Plus it's cheaper, so if anything I'd say buy the PS4 first if you're really hankering for a console and then wait for the Xbone to drop down from its $500 price point; or buy one used just to give MS the finger. (which I assume will happen right after they realize nobody is hooking up their Kinects)
I can only find the hd collection for ps3, do you know of any links that confirm ps4 as well?
Sorry, that was me being uninformed and having the release date of the collection wrong. As it stands there's no mention of the collection being on PS4; though frankly they really should release it for that as well since we'll all be relegating our PS3's to the closet soon.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Dark Knifer said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
Sorry, that was me being uninformed and having the release date of the collection wrong. As it stands there's no mention of the collection being on PS4; though frankly they really should release it for that as well since we'll all be relegating our PS3's to the closet soon.
Na that's fine mate, thanks for the info :)

And yeah I'm hoping the same thing because I don't have a ps3 and it's a bit late to justify one until prices start dropping but hopefully this cloud emulation will get all the games I want to try.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
oskalaboska said:
Treaos Serrare said:
Rafiuddin Alauddin said:
Is it though? honestly I doubt that it is, the XBone came out the gate like a prisoner telling his cellmate that he is gonna fuck him in the ass whether the cellmate likes it or not, the appearance of a well sharpened shiv changes his tune a bit but he is still a threat to the cellmate.
M$ will sneak their bullshit in again one way or another eventually and anybody with a lick of sense knows that and wont buy their 1984-brick
Can I just say, that is the most apt analogy I've ever read to my feelings on this whole situation.
it seemed appropriate, since M$ comes on like some horribly bastardized version Jekyll and Hyde where both personalities are wretched examples of humanity

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Mehall said:
Z of the Na said:

That is the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life.
Scary, but not as scary as Lemongrab creepers.

Fuck this video:

0_0 Good, God.......

Anyway, I wonder how the X-box one will do. From what some people have been saying it sounds like even with the online check-ins gone it will still need an internet connection to "really" work.

I guess we'll see, when we see.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
This... this is perfect. It's subtle, clever, accurate and funny.

You said more in three frames than Extra Credits could have droned on about for a week.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The mask is only half off now because the Kinnect is still at large.

Aroddo

Feb 22, 2012
Ok, two facts:

1. The Kinect is listening to your private conversations all the time because it's always on.
2. The CIA is spying on all americans, records all emails and telephone conversations.

But of course, the CIA would never dream of exploiting a device that can record audio and video of your private moments and even has built-in algorithms that analyze your facial expressions and link your mood to what kind of news you just heard.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Sansha said:

You said more in three frames than Extra Credits could have droned on about for a week.
Subtle? really dude, you have a weird definition of subtle.
Aroddo said:
Ok, two facts:

1. The Kinect is listening to your private conversations all the time because it's always on.
2. The CIA is spying on all americans, records all emails and telephone conversations.

But of course, the CIA would never dream of exploiting a device that can record audio and video of your private moments and even has built-in algorithms that analyze your facial expressions and link your mood to what kind of news you just heard.
I miss when this comic had a narrative arc and didn't make easy (and weak) jokes at Microsofts expense Like every other web comic.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
TomWest said:
Any commenters care to take a guess as to what percentage of the buying public will let this reversed decision affect their purchase choice? What percentage will even know there was a controversy?

My guess: 1-2% on the buying choice, less than 5% will know there was a policy decision made at all.

While there was a small chance that this debacle could have been the butterfly wing flap that caused a hurricane (and thus was probably worth MS reversing their decision), this will mostly be forgotten by the next news cycle.

The 10,000 knowledgeable hard-core that might decide to punish MS will be completely lost in the millions that will buy from Walmart and don't even know what DRM is... (Among my non-geek XBox 360-owning friends, only 1 of 5 had heard of the Red Ring of Death.)

It's fun to debate, but it's helpful to remember that we all exist inside a bubble that is statistically insignificant as far as real sales goes.
Well if all non gamers are on xbox prism and all gamers are on ps4 (or PC like me ^^) I'd call that a win/win ^^
especially because gamers buy more games in the long run and thius it will be the more attractive hardware for publishers and developers.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
While I'm glad this happened, I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks believing this won't change a damn thing. Fans will be fans, and people will shell out for their Halo fix. Worse still, some people are actually lamenting the shared games feature. Guys - just mail your copies to your distant friends! How hard can that be?

"BUT MY CONVENIENCE! YOU HURTSSSSS IT! MY PRECIOUSSS CONVENIENCE!"

Oh, come off it. We did well before this Orwellian smorgasbord, we'll do well enough without it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nimcha said:
All this focus on tangential stuff is very annoying. With a new console come new games, that's what all the attention should be on. But neither Microsoft nor 'the internet' seems to care about that. :(
Yeah, the ability to actually play them should be completely irrelevant to the purchasing of a console.

On a related note, would you like to buy my console? It's a brick with "console" written on it. Gears of War and Uncharted are both coming to it....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sansha said:

More like several weeks, while missing the most salient points and predicting a future that will never come.