Were you a vampire in Oblivion?

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Unfortunately my super buggy PS3 Game of the Year Edition was not a 'no way back' ticket to vampire land if I went full infection... which I found out the one time I let my buddy bite me before I wasted him and my whole crew of master assassins... mistake.

It could have been cooler than it was, by far and I didn't feel like it was a good choice to make for other future characters.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I became a vampire once and hated it. The skill increases didn't seem very noticable probably because the combat in Oblivion is crap anyway and all it did was make going out in the sun annoying and make my character look like crap.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
My best character was a vampire. It was kinda funny that when I played through Shivering Isles, I beat the final boss in broad daylight as a vampire. Those of you who have beaten the expansion know that the final boss goes on a long winded monologue for like 5 minutes and you can't move. Unfortunately, the sun damage still affects you so I had to spam restores for 5 minutes until the bastard finished. I wish they had kept the vampire house system from Morrowind though; that would have made oblivion for me.

ChaosKain

Jun 14, 2010
Yeah I've been a vampire in both Morrowind and Oblivion. I did it in Morrowind because it boosts your magic skills and I used that to become guild master of the mages guild. Oblivion I tried it out but its not all that great. What I would like to try, if they ever think about it, is in their Fallout games make it so you can become a ghoul. Being immune to radiation and such at the cost of most people thinking you are ugly. Yeah that would be well worth it, but now I'm getting off the subject. Theres no real point to being a vampire, the skill boosts you gain from it are worthless, you can level them up to 100 without being a vampire anyway. And you can buy life detect and night eye spells, hell I find them sigil stones in the gates with nighteye and life detect bonuses and I put nighteye in an amulet I can put on at any time, and have life detect on my helmet 24/7.

witness51

Oct 17, 2010
So how do you become one? Do they attack you in your sleep or does the leader of the Dark Brotherhood make you one or what?

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
This seems as good a time as any to state my opinion on Vampirism in games (and irl)... they're lots of fun, but it really isn't for me. Maybe my friends will go that route, but the idea of going vampire creeps me out, and I really appreciate being able to go outside whenever I want.

Of course, my main character in Oblivion was a sociopath, a psychopath and generally a terrible, terrible person already. No reason to give that sucker more power when he already kills almost everyone he sees. I magicked any and all vampires I met into oblivion, before they got close enough for me to notice they were vampires.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I liked to play true vampire, Unarmed no armor and everything else a vampire would be.

Greenhand

Jan 19, 2011
EcksTeaSea said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
EcksTeaSea said:
I wanted to become a vampire, but I really don't want to play the PC version until I find a great list of mods to use. Also I have issues patching the game so that put me off as well. Being a vampire in TES4 sounds awesome though.
You can do it in console.
Don't have console version. Gave it away to a friend.
I think 2012 meant that you can use a console command to 'give' yourself vampirism.
Also, I'd recommend the Unofficial Oblivion Patch's optional UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix. It keeps you from looking like a complete monstrosity, which makes sense. All the other vampires have been so for a very long time or they just went mad with blood-lust, so they should look like Nosferatu rejects. I'm a sophisticated adventurer who takes care of himself, therefore I'm likely to take care of my appearance to avoid people looking at me and screaming in fear/disgust.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I only have one character who I made start out as a vampire. I also had a mod so that it didn't affect your appearance though because I didn't like the old look that vampires have.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Jumplion said:
I became a vampire, but I was forever stuck as one.

You see, I had joined the Mage's Guild for more quests and stuff, but I had accidentally broken a rule and was out of the guild. I had also become a vampire before then.

So, before I could go on the quest to get rid of my vampirism, I would have to go on another quest to get 100 goddamn flowers of some sort or another.

Yeah, no. I just dealt with my vampirism.
I'm guessing you had to collect 100 nirnroot

Lekonua

Mar 25, 2009
I became a vampire very early in the game, and I found that the bonuses outweighed the negative side effects for quite a while. Plus it was kind of fun sneaking up on sleeping people to bite them.

After I was able to learn the night vision and life detection spells, I went ahead and did the cure quest.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
There wasn't much point. I found the drawbacks outweighed the benefits. Even at stage one you had to go out of your way to feed constantly, so you'd wind up mutating halfway through a quest.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
I just recently started playing oblivion again. I decided I was going to be one of those assassins, and take whatever hard knocks came at me. The head assassin guy happened to be a vampire, and at one point, offered me his "dark gift." I thought, "shit yeah! Lets be as evil as we can!" And vampirism was born!

I then forgot to feed for a day, and became EXTRA sensitive to sunlight. At the same time, I "waited" for a store to open. When I came out of the "wait," I dropped dead from all the sun damage I had built up from waiting in the sun. :(

I'm still a vampire though. The play style I use has changed dramatically because of it. When the sun rises, I find the closet cave, dungeon, town, whatever! If it's indoors, I take it! It's a twist I kind of like, because I went into the character expecting to take those hard knocks and not be to put off by them.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I was on one character, but that didn't work out too well, so after that I never even thought about making one of my characters a vampire.

Though the whole "makes my character ugly" thing never factored in for me, since I mostly just played argonian and khajiit characters.