were you ever bullied in school?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Was bullied throughout my entire school career. Asperger's, a broken family, and being poor add up to a lot of fodder for people to use.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I was teased on several occasions between the 5th and 12th grades. Each and every time I ended up suspended and the bully ended up with a broken nose. I'm not saying violence solves all problems, but most people have trouble making fun of you if you break their nose.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
In elementary school, yes. I would explain but I don't wan't to talk about it. Needless to say, it was bad. very bad. It got better in high school, though. I still have absolutely no friends but I'm generally left alone.

Sweet solitude...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Sort of, strictly verbal. When I was in middle school, I kind of gave a shit. Towards the end of 8th grade, I just stopped caring. It continued in High School because I was ever the outsider and an easy target, no one would come to my defense and I had long since taken to just letting shit slide because it never even came close to mattering.

I was never afraid to fight them. I knew how to fight, but since my teachers were cops(father and grandfather) I only knew how to maim, break bones and otherwise debilitate, not just make an example that I shouldn't be fucked with. Basically, I didn't want to actually permanently hurt them for some pointless bullshit. If they ever touched me, all bets would've been off and I'd have fucking hurt them. Say whatever you want to me, I really don't care, but you go beyond that and I'll fucking end you.

Oct 10, 2011
yeah, a guy had been for a few months, then he spat in my face so in front of the whole class, including the teacher, i pinned him to the wall by the sholders and threw him into the wall. i got in trouble, but he left me alone and i loved the teachers reaction of asking HIM what the hell he did this time.

NurseDoomsday

Sep 29, 2009
Oh god where do I begin. I was bullied A LOT practically everyday for my entire school going experience. Not little things like calling me names or taking my stuff. I had to change bus stops once because the other kids threw rocks at me everyday. When I was in 7th grade some kid pulled my earing out and shoved me down the stairs. My 4th grade teacher used to bully me during class (my mother got her fired ^_^). It was horrible, then one day my brother told me to stop being such a doormat and taught me how to fight dirty. After that I was still bullied but at least they didn't get away with it every time. If I saw one of them coming for me I would make a huge fuss near a teacher and wait for them to hit me (you have to suspend them if it happens right in front of you).

When I got to high school I was more able to defend myself so the bullying lessened but it never goes away there will all ways be a douchebag around.

ZombieBigfoot

Jan 30, 2011
launchpadmcqwak said:
this is going to be another "he bullied me, i mutilated him" threads isnt it...sure you did
I don't know about them, but the only tactic that worked for me was ignoring them, to the point where I'd blast music to drown them out. The bullies were usually twice my size, and I never really learned how to fight.

Sep 14, 2009
i got along with most people, however there were a clear 2-3 people at my school that were the very definition of douchebag beyond belief that wanted nothing more to tear me down.

with that being said, i didn't like their shit get to me, and there were a few times where i helped out kids getting the shitty end of the stick from other kids for no reason, so been on both sides of that.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
K-5 were fine. Friendly bunch.

I had the good fortune of being a floater for most of middle school and high school, so I got left to my own devices and my own small friend circle for the most part. I even got invited out to a few of the cool kids' parties - helping the jocks' girlfriends do chemistry helped with that ;)

There were two minor instances of bullying I recall.

One, the Queen Bee Cheerleader told me to shut up because I knew that Japan consisted of islands and she didn't. She started insulting me for being smart or something. It was really dumb; I think I just sat there shaking my head at how stupid the whole incident was. This girl was also known less for her mental fortitude and more for how much she put out, so it wasn't like I was shaking a tree I shouldn't have here.

The second was a bit more serious. Some jackass spent the entire lunch period ragging on me for my portliness. This was the resident drug peddler/drunkard/what-the-hell-are-you-doing-in-school-still-type. And he spent 40 minutes insulting me for my size.

At the time, that really got to me.

The joke was on him, though. I lost a lot of weight over the next four years, while he inflated like a balloon full of butter.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Not really. I was very tall and had a twin brother who was also very tall, and 4 older brothers who were monstrously tall.
More importantly, I was (and still try to be) sociable and friendly.

The worst bullying i received was sometimes being 'excluded' from things due to being a nerd who listened to punk rock and metal (that we ordered thru the mail for mere pennies!) As growing up in a farm community country music and all the culture around it was the way to go.
Even the 'exclusion' wasn't that bad and were usually from things I didn't want to do anyway like frog gigging, cow tipping, and the like. After doing it once it loses it's appeal.

My final year in high school we moved to a much bigger city and I was looked upon as a bit of a curiosity, "Tall twin blonde haired silver eyed cowboys?" They'd say "What an odd thing." Not to brag but suburban girls LOVE tall blonde haired silver eyed cowboys. I played that up like crazy.
Yeah so in the first place I was too city. The second place I was too country. I found my niches though.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
In high school? Not really. There was this one guy who, along with his cronies, kind of had it in for my group of friends, and tried messing with us a few times when through a string of coincidences I accidentally got half the nerds in the school playing Magic: The Gathering, but it was less bullying and more "oh boy, here comes that idiot who thinks he's cool again." He never liked us much after we caught him throwing his wallet at people (no real reason, he just wanted to throw something at people, and picked the worst possible object to do so with) so we waited for him to throw it again, grabbed it, and had him chase us for a couple of minutes before giving it back to him with kind of a "that was really stupid, don't do it again."

In middle school, though? I was bullied mercilessly. Being a nerdy, overweight sixth grader in a school where several of the eighth graders have failed twice and are just biding their time 'til they turn sixteen and can legally drop out can do that. The kids my age weren't much better, but at least there it was clique based and I had allies. As a 12 year old who was the favored target of the 16 year olds? Not so much. High school was a lot more open, and the kind of people who bullied people were also generally the kind of people who dropped out part of the way through 10th grade, so it wasn't really a problem. I know the description at the top sounds like we had a real clique problem, but it's more that one guy didn't like me, and he had a couple of friends that he dragged into it. Overall, everyone hung out with everyone at my highschool, and there was no real bullying, but plenty of "he gave as good as he got" situations. Or maybe I should say "she gave as good as she got;" the guys, ironically enough, usually knew better than to fight. All but one or two of the fist fights that happened while I was in high school were between two girls. With the guys, if one person wanted to fight, usually the other didn't and would find some other way of dealing with the situation.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
EVERYONE was,in one shape or another,bullied in school at least once,and would be lying to say otherwise. In my experience bullies get away with their criminal (Yes,it IS criminal. Every bully ever is chargable for harassment,at LEAST) activities is because of the impotency of the punishments,and the startling irregularity of them. After all,the best way to deter negative behaviour is the certainty of proportionately extreme retribution.

Why don't the victims do anything about it? Generally,they don't want the bully coming after them because they snitched. Why donesn't school administration do jack squat? Probably something to do with public image,so they just suspend the bully,essentialy handing them a sabbatical. If they're really bad,they get expelled,and cause bitter resentment in the bully because their life just got shafted HARD. Thus inspiring more bully-like behaviour.

However,usually it's just "Sit in the office,alone,during lunch hour." that half of the time,they don;t even show up for,and,beyond a paging or two,there is never any active effort made to bring the bully in to recieve punishment.

Bullying happens and can be stopped. However,it'll take a massive effort,and COMPLETE restructuring of how we punish n'er do-wells. Chocke hold a kid against the wall in the washrooms? Give them the full volume chewing out,lay charges immediately on first offense,no exceptions. Spreading false and defaming rumours about someone? Full volume riot act,and threaten to press charges if it continues.

Failing that...Get the switch. Sometimes,the only thing that will get through their mind that what they're doing is unacceptable is when the figures of authority inflict physical discomfort in response to repeated reprehensible behaviour.

Just my views on bullies and how the current society incubates them.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
I was bullied from 1st grade through 8th grade. Worst years of my life. I'm glad I never have to see those people again.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Riddle78 said:
EVERYONE was,in one shape or another,bullied in school at least once,and would be lying to say otherwise. In my experience bullies get away with their criminal (Yes,it IS criminal. Every bully ever is chargable for harassment,at LEAST) activities is because of the impotency of the punishments,and the startling irregularity of them. After all,the best way to deter negative behaviour is the certainty of proportionately extreme retribution.

Why don't the victims do anything about it? Generally,they don't want the bully coming after them because they snitched. Why donesn't school administration do jack squat? Probably something to do with public image,so they just suspend the bully,essentialy handing them a sabbatical. If they're really bad,they get expelled,and cause bitter resentment in the bully because their life just got shafted HARD. Thus inspiring more bully-like behaviour.

However,usually it's just "Sit in the office,alone,during lunch hour." that half of the time,they don;t even show up for,and,beyond a paging or two,there is never any active effort made to bring the bully in to recieve punishment.

Bullying happens and can be stopped. However,it'll take a massive effort,and COMPLETE restructuring of how we punish n'er do-wells. Chocke hold a kid against the wall in the washrooms? Give them the full volume chewing out,lay charges immediately on first offense,no exceptions. Spreading false and defaming rumours about someone? Full volume riot act,and threaten to press charges if it continues.

Failing that...Get the switch. Sometimes,the only thing that will get through their mind that what they're doing is unacceptable is when the figures of authority inflict physical discomfort in response to repeated reprehensible behaviour.

Just my views on bullies and how the current society incubates them.
Unfortunately, most of the time the victims do report it, but the administration takes a "if we didn't see it, it didn't happen" stance, as well as a "if you get caught fighting, I don't care who started it, you're both suspended" stance. Nine times out of ten, this winds up with the bullies making hundreds of small aggressive moves towards the poor victim, who finally snaps, does something proportional to all of the attacks combined in return... and then gets in trouble for standing up for themselves, while the bully walks. The system is seriously flawed.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I was bullied all throughout Primary school, thankfully it didn't continue on in High School, I believe this may have had soething to dowith me giving the kid who was bullying me a broken nose, a concussion and putting my fist through a wooden locker door

manchild1988

Nov 14, 2011
I've not been bullied to such extremes as I read in this thread, mostly because I'm pretty normal. But even when I have been been bullied (verbally), I'm cool with it. My most common reply is, "Call me what you want, I don't give a f#%@". I always try to end conflict by talking things out. If that doesn't work, I'll always take the coward's way out and tell the teachers.

Also, I am fairly tall. I kinda use this to my advantage to try and scare off potential bullies, not just for me, but everyone else too. I'm pretty sure its an influence of my parents, but I just feel a sense of satisfaction when I have help people out. I remember having to stop the bullying of one of my 5th grade classmates many years ago. He was fat and I think a bit mentally challenged, but I always tried to stick up for him when he was bullied. No one dared to bully him physically, because he was huge, but the verbal jabs he suffered were horrifying. Needless to say, I was quick to be there for him.