WGDF

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
My guess will be that this has to do with Donald Sterling, who's still fighting to own the Clippers and still trying to fight that he's not a racist, even while making still racist remarks during interviews where he's defending himself. I'd really like to see what the WGDF says about this old, senile bigot and his views.

Forget the popcorn, I'll have the ricecakes standing by...

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Andy Shandy said:

Hoo boy, if this gets even a quarter of the hilarious reactions that last time did, it should be fun.
So I was in the previous WGDF comic to see how the shitstorm went down and I come across your comment
Andy Shandy said:
Oh man, that was beautiful.

Totally needs to be a poster so I can stick it up somewhere.

The "Zimmerman mode activate!" was absolutely golden.
Better your make your poster, friend.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
1Life0Continues said:
I respect that you no longer wish to continue our conversation and again thank you for the responses you did give. I would like to clarify however that I do not presume myself your better, I do not think I am intellectually superior to you and I do not intend to imply anything like that. I'm not sure which turns of phrase you are referring to so I don't know that I can help clarify any meaning. I guess I can only offer my assurance that I always speak presuming that myself and the person I am conversing with have the best of intentions, for whatever that assurance is worth. I have no interest in trying to entrap anyone into anything. My interest is in dialogue and improving my understanding of other people and their world view while also expressing my own, that's all. Again I appreciate the time you put into your responses. Thank you.

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
My guess will be that this has to do with Donald Sterling, who's still fighting to own the Clippers and still trying to fight that he's not a racist, even while making still racist remarks during interviews where he's defending himself. I'd really like to see what the WGDF says about this old, senile bigot and his views.

Forget the popcorn, I'll have the ricecakes standing by...
Nah, this is almost certainly about the UCSB shooting, specifically with regards to the #YesAllWomen hashtag being highjacked by MRAs who later went on to make the #YesAllPeople and #YesAllMen hashtag.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
The only things I've been this hyped for in recent memory are Transistor and Guardians of the Galaxy. The original WGDF is one of my favorite things on this site, and I cannot wait for this.
RatherDull said:
Please tell me this is not in response to the shooting...
This makes it even more exciting. This please, Grey and Cory. I need more people making fun of this poor sap.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Oh sweet, merciful Christ it begins anew. Everyone get below ground! And bring popcorn. 'S gonna be gooood! Unless the thread just sort of stays like this, with everyone taking seats and waiting for the fireworks, only for nothing to happen since the actors are in the audience.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Ohh no! Please no!
Not again!

I never finished repairing the damage to my banhammer from last time! :(

Wellll....

I was intrigued by everyone's "Dis gonna be good!" attitude and actually sped through the original WGDF thread. The bloodshed wasn't as bad as I expected:

Bans: 7
Warnings: 39 (many to the same handful of repeat offenders)
Suspensions: 4 (again--mostly repeat offenders within the same thread)

This article obviously isn't inflammatory--I didn't have a clue what it referred to without others linking the original comic. I'd be surprised if Grey and Carter manage to provide as much fuel for flaming as last time. Moreover, I doubt Grey enjoyed taking part in the "discussions" on the last thread.

Daystar Clarion said:
Hehehe.

I wonder if this one can rack up universe breaking amounts of flames, like last time.
We know the score to break, now.

Try not to get yourself a Warning this time around, bro. ^_^

EDIT: Yes, I recognize that you all are talking about the future article. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I know the mods don't like it when one responds with a simple phrase, but this strip can only conger a single word from me. That word is, "LOL"!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hoo boy. I'll be in the fallout shelter if anyone needs me, folks. Remember, it's funny to offend people unless you offend me!

[small]PROTIP: If you feel personally offended enough by a comic on the Internet to where you cannot help but write a ban-worthy angry post about it, then you may be taking either it or yourself far too seriously.[/small]

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Gorrath said:
1Life0Continues said:
This should be fun.

I think the last WGDF was the funniest and most biting strip I've seen.

And the response was...delicious.

Poor little white guys making excuses for themselves.

Out of curiosity, do you often find humor in people being emotionally upset and angry? I mean that as an honest question as I find it fascinating.
I think Jim C Hines summed it best when he talked about the angry reaction by men to the #yesallwomen hashtag.

The idea that some people want their upset at 'being lumped in' with unpleasant types to be seen as more important than the harm those unpleasent types are actually doing needs calling out and mocking.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
So the joke here is that it starts with a minority making a rational claim and then a bunch of white guys making outlandish and ridiculous counters? Ok. I guess that'll be exciting. Not sure if it's trying to prove something other than irrational bigots are irrational.

Is the argument being made supposed to be that white people should shut up or is it just that ignorant ass-flap-mouthed bigots should shut up?

Eh, I guess I don't really care. I'll see it when I see it.

Windknight said:
The idea that some people want their upset at 'being lumped in' with unpleasant types to be seen as more important than the harm those unpleasent types are actually doing needs calling out and mocking.
So as humans we're basically incapable of handling two different but related issues at the same time without resorting to ridicule because one isn't as important as the other? Interesting.

Stereotyping in all it's forms is a valid issue to discuss. The two topics are not somehow mutually exclusive to be discussed. So it shouldn't be bad for someone to say that what that guy was terrible but not all men have some hidden crazy desire to murder people without someone saying, "Ur part of the problem" for saying that. It's a nonsense conclusion to go from someone feeling stereotyped because of someone else's actions to them being somehow in part responsible for that person's murder (aka, part of the problem). That's just bullshit.

That kind of response that seeks to turn the person speaking into a monster is truly wrong to do. It prevents rational and open discussions on the topic of race from being discussed. For example, I'm conflicted on the subject of affirmative action. On the one hand I strongly believe that people shouldn't be able to discriminate on the basis of race and yet the practice of affirmative action gives one side an actual advantage because of the color of their skin. So it's sort of a way to fight racism with racism. But to bring this topic up is to open anyone open to immediate ridicule in most circles. Why? Why can't it and anything like it be openly discussed? You'd be amazed at how many time reason is inadvertently stomped into the ground by people who think they are defending a cause then they're really just squashing an unrelated or legitimate discussion.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Under_your_bed said:
RatherDull said:
I hope it is. The entire universe will implode on itself in a storm of white-hot rage. The Escapist will basically become reverse-tumblr.
What if it is about a shooting, but instead, it's about THIS shooting:

Y'know, since the original comic this is referencing had a trio of caricature white guys go all "Zimmerman Mode Activate" and this shooting involved a 71 year old Floridian shooting a pair of armed young men in the commission of a robbery. Who were wearing Hoodies. And very well could look like Obama's son if he had one. That old guy totally activated Zimmerman mode.

Of course, the original comic was just a double barrel shotgun blast of flamebait...
So it'll likely just be about WGDF showing up to help an NRA lobbyist slut-shame Anita Sarkeesian who was in the process of tweet blasting some guys for making an immature joke during a tech conference speech on modern console gaming vs. PC gaming, with lots of booth babes in the background.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
tangoprime said:
Under_your_bed said:
RatherDull said:
I hope it is. The entire universe will implode on itself in a storm of white-hot rage. The Escapist will basically become reverse-tumblr.
What if it is about a shooting, but instead, it's about THIS shooting:

Y'know, since the original comic this is referencing had a trio of caricature white guys go all "Zimmerman Mode Activate" and this shooting involved a 71 year old Floridian shooting a pair of armed young men in the commission of a robbery. Who were wearing Hoodies. And very well could look like Obama's son if he had one. That old guy totally activated Zimmerman mode.
That would belittle the fear that the Zimmerman case caused. These men were robbing a place with a gun exposed. Zimmerman's victim was terrorizing the neighborhood with what? Skittles and tea?

It serves nobody any justice to show that some people in hoodies commit crimes. That's just an attempt to perpetuate stereotyping.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Lightknight said:
That's just an attempt to perpetuate stereotyping.
Exactly, as was the premise of the original WGDF comic. But based on the original, I think we're far more likely get a comic that follows the framework I described in the post you quoted, lol.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Lightknight said:
That would belittle the fear that the Zimmerman case caused. These men were robbing a place with a gun exposed. Zimmerman's victim was terrorizing the neighborhood with what? Skittles and tea?
He was sitting on him, punching him and knocking his head repeatedly against the pavement when he got shot, not a victim in my book, a criminal thug.

Yeah you can kill people that way too, Zimmerman is lucky to be alive after his encounter with the drug seeking* former american football player thug.

*He was out to score "Purple drank", a codein cough syrup based drug, this based on text messages found in his phone, and entered into evidence in court, and a matter of public record.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Gorrath said:
Indeed, and I don't find it particularly admirable or humorous to attack the insecurities of people, regardless of what group they belong to, unless there is some larger point to be made. I took no personal offense to the comic myself, I just found it to lack humor and thought it was in bad taste. Insecurities are derived by the individual based on their own experiences, not on which group they belong to (though you will find correlation between the two, it isn't axiomatic.) I just don't find being vicious to people all that amusing is all.
You're confusing "attack" with "expose". Exposing and clarifying insecurities helps everyone, perhaps especially the insecure people themselves. However, insecure people themselves don't see it this way, since they are protecting themselves from their insecurities and thus anyone unprotecting them is "attacking" them.

The bitter medicine analogy applies here - it may taste bad but it's good for you. After your insecurities are dealt with and you're a happier person as a result you'll understand.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Windknight said:
Gorrath said:
1Life0Continues said:
This should be fun.

I think the last WGDF was the funniest and most biting strip I've seen.

And the response was...delicious.

Poor little white guys making excuses for themselves.

Out of curiosity, do you often find humor in people being emotionally upset and angry? I mean that as an honest question as I find it fascinating.
I think Jim C Hines summed it best when he talked about the angry reaction by men to the #yesallwomen hashtag.

I can agree that it is ridiculous that someone would try and say their hurt feelings are more important than the shooting deaths of a bunch of people. If someone says that, they rightly deserve to be mocked. If someone says that they don't want to be lumped in a group with crazy people, and would prefer if they aren't stereotyped, that is completely rational and is not worthy of derision. I often see people being accused of the former when they are simply saying the latter.

Being part of a majority in power does not make one automatically immune to the pressures and problems caused by stereotyping, and so people wanting to avoid stereotyping is completely understandable. People trying to claim that the "real" problem is that they're the ones who are being discriminated against are often out of touch with what other people experience. Unfair discrimination and stereotyping is its own problem. It's bad no matter who it happens to and we don't have to engage in arguments of degree when we can just fight the problem where ever we see it. I've never thought of this as a 0 sum game.

I guess a good way to sum up my stance on things is that I am not a women's advocate or a men's advocate, I am not an advocate for any race or gender. I am an advocate for people who are suffering and for ideas that bring about equality. I don't know a great deal about the yesallwomen hashtag, as I find hashtag movements tend to readily get hijacked by loudmouthed people on two or more sides of any issue who make their living off of being as divisive as possible. Not sure if everything i said was actually warranted as a response to you, so please excuse me if my post is needlessly long-winded or misses your point.