What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
Usually call them Mate... just like I call white, Asian, Friends, Enemies, bosses and subordiates, Mate

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
If i had to point out someone as being black to someone else i would say "black dude", i guess there isn't an official term here in new zealand except maybe "black south african" because you rarely see a black person who isn't south african...or maybe its just the area where i live, i dunno.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
South eastern Australia...

For people of african culture/descent it would simply either be "African", or it would be "Australian", depending on how long theyve been in Australia and how much they are a part of Australian culture.

We (at least in my experience) are significantly different from places like the US because we dont have many strong cultures that have changed from the culture they originated in. Whereas in the US for example there are specific things that can be called "African American culture" which are different from African culture, here it seems more like the culture is either African or Australian... we arent an old enough country for introduced cultures to have evolved into something noticably different from the original culture.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
How can African Americans exist outside of America?

Anyways, I'm from the US and idk about using the term African American to refer to a person or race, the only reason I am using them now is because it is in actual context. I just say black, I will not call anyone African American EVER and I don't care if you call me white or caucasian. I will call black people black because political correctness just creates barriers to separate races. Don't be so uptight about it because all it is is asking for tension when you get your panties in a knot over something as trivial as being called black or white. I can understand a derogatory word, one that comes particularly into my mind that I think you can all guess, but that's different. Their are no ill intentions when someone calls someone black or white, its just what we are accustomed to.

May 17, 2010
I'm Irish. We tend to call africian Americans Africian Americans. If you mean individuals of a more recent africian extraction then probably Black.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
I live in America, so what you said. But I call 'em black, unless they're from an undisclosed African country. Unless that's true, they're already American, they just happen to have black skin, so African-American isn't correct.

Counterwise

May 1, 2010
Neeger(kinda like ******,non offencive)or black-skinned, dark-skinned. If you wanna be rude you could say murjam(moor-yam), which is the only word for black people that's specificaly meant to insult, atleast in estonian.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
A Raging Emo said:
girzwald said:
A Raging Emo said:
Actually, in the UK, we just call them "People".
I kinda laugh when I hear this sentiment.

So, you have no names or labels for people of a certain skin color or heritage? Everyone is just a "person"? So on forms or when the police are looking for a suspect they say "X skinned person"?

Mmmmhmmmm.
Incorrect. Their skin colour is a defining characteristic, not the name of their species; we're all human, and none of us should be labelled as "That Gay Person", or "That White Guy" or "That blonde chick". We should only use skin colour as a defining characteristic, otherwise we'll never completely abolish racial discrimination - if I have to describe somebody, I'll mention things such as skin colour, hairstyle/colour, height, and so on; until I have to describe them, they are simply "Person" (assuming I don't know their name).

On Police forms, do they only use skin colour to describe a person? Do they also leave out hair and eye colour? What about height? Age? Gender?

Precisely.
So true. I'm from the UK, I recon everyone in my generation uses black, as in 'that black guy over there'. Older people tend to still use 'coloured' or 'ethnic' (though I think the latter has more Asian connotations). Or my mum says ****** but she's a massive racist.

It's already been said, it's just a characteristic. On it's own it's not a racist label any more than 'that white girl' is. If it was 'I bet that black guy is a drug dealer, look at how nice his car is' then yeah. And, shut up, mum.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I call them people. I call them men and women. I call them 'that guy' or 'that gal.' If I know them, I call them by their names.

Why? 'Cause I respect them the same as I respect anyone, and I find it to be unfair that it's socially-acceptable to address them based on physical attributes beyond gender.

I'm from the United States.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I call them people. I call them men and women. I call them 'that guy' or 'that gal.' If I know them, I call them by their names.

Why? 'Cause I respect them the same as I respect anyone, and I find it to be unfair that it's socially-acceptable to address them based on physical attributes beyond gender.

I'm from the United States.
Wow. This seems more than a little sanctimonious. Of course if you know someone you call them by their name, and of course they're bloody people - you really think that's the point that's being discussed here? You're saying you've never referred to someone by a physical attribute?

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Not sure how everyone else does it but round these parts it changes depending on what their first name is

Mar 9, 2010
A Raging Emo said:
Actually, in the UK, we just call them "People".
Unless you're trying to identify the black guy in the crowd. Then it's "that black guy in the crowd." Man, that guy is fucking hilarious.

Works with whites too though. Because we aren't racist. I kid, I live around a fuck load of racist people.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
England
Just 'black people', because that's what they are and terminologies like that are only considered racist sometimes because people insist they are. Just like we're 'white people'.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
Wow...this got long fast. The directly relevant part is the first paragraph.

I'm Black. That's the term I mostly use, though Negro or African-American come up when I try (and fail) to be funny.

In my part of The United States, South Florida, Miami-Dade County. "Nigga" has become synonymous with "Dude". I'm not kidding.
In my generation, Upper High School, we don't tend to see ethnicity or skin color as a big issue. We make A LOT of racist joke with our friends (Cubans are a favorite target) but never have I heard ****** or Nigga used with true malice, nor any other slur. I've actually never heard any other slur at all. When you can tell it was with malice, then everyone suddenly gets real and verbally (rarely physically) pounces on the offender. Most often it's used as a joke.

Is that a good thing? My friends and I treat racism as a joke. Everything from bad country accents to thug rapper impersonations, and dumb things like "It's because I'm black isn't it"..."Yep" *Idiotic laughter*. I guess It's because this is the first generation I've seen that realizes the stupidity of racism or prejudice against any group of people. Even Homophobia is rare (Gay jokes are not).

I've even seen a white person call another white person nigga like it was nothing. No one gave it a second thought. The only ones who get angry about it are the older generation on all sides. I've actually met more Black racist of all ages, or Cuban and Mexican racist that are from the older generations or immigrants.

Just remembered I've heard the term "Refugees" used for Cubans, BY A CUBAN.

Race only comes up when a cop gets killed by some wannabe "gangsta" and the "Hood Rats" or "Cholas" start screaming that the system is racist. The news tends to use African-American and Black interchangeably.

Racist still exist on all sides, but I can see it dying. It won't disappear forever, but it's having less and less of an impact.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Limecake said:
Lost In The Void said:
Canadian, or black I guess if I needed to get specific.

I frankly think PC terms are stupid, especially when it comes to race. All they do is re-enforce the idea that people of different skin color are different from us (Hint: they aren't)
Well, they are different from us. That does not mean in any sense that they are worse/better then us, but they are different. Difference in skin colour is a genuine biological difference, and race actually goes deeper than just the skin. Ever wondered why there are so many black sprinters? It's largely to do with that particular gene pool having a slightly different molecular structure in their muscles, making them more suited for short bursts of speed. I'm sorry but I'm the kind of annoying person who just has to be anal about these things...

On your actual point though I do agree. Political correctness is only ever self-serving. Just a bunch of people making a big song and dance of how anti-discrimination they are, while ironically drawing more attention to issues of discrimination then is necessary or welcome.