What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
A Raging Emo said:
thylasos said:
A Raging Emo said:
Actually, in the UK, we just call them "People".
Or "of Afro-Carribean descent", on the census form.
Yeah, but we also get thousands of people putting "Jedi" as their religion each year.
When are we going to start putting "Follower of Cthulhu" down? Good thing about Cthulhu. Lovecraft isn't constantly changing his work ;)

Well he's dead... so I guess that kind of helps in that sense.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I cant even remember the last time I called someone African American and not black. Thats far too much work for something thats most likely a false statement.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Like other have said, in Canada. Black, or just Canadian if they are.
I think African Canadian was tried but it sounds stupid.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
A Raging Emo said:
girzwald said:
A Raging Emo said:
Actually, in the UK, we just call them "People".
I kinda laugh when I hear this sentiment.

So, you have no names or labels for people of a certain skin color or heritage? Everyone is just a "person"? So on forms or when the police are looking for a suspect they say "X skinned person"?

Mmmmhmmmm.
Incorrect. Their skin colour is a defining characteristic, not the name of their species; we're all human, and none of us should be labelled as "That Gay Person", or "That White Guy" or "That blonde chick". We should only use skin colour as a defining characteristic, otherwise we'll never completely abolish racial discrimination - if I have to describe somebody, I'll mention things such as skin colour, hairstyle/colour, height, and so on; until I have to describe them, they are simply "Person" (assuming I don't know their name).

On Police forms, do they only use skin colour to describe a person? Do they also leave out hair and eye colour? What about height? Age? Gender?

Precisely.
Way to put words in my mouth. Never once did I say species. And sorry, pretending racial characteristics don't exist wont make racism go away. The fact that you are walking on egg shells to say "nope, people are people" proves you just think about race too much, trying to deny its existence. "Racism" will go away when race is no longer a factor in general decision making. Because the "races" aren't going anywhere soon.

And whats wrong with being labeled "That white guy" or "That blonde girl" when no more descriptive information is available or when its very descriptive in that context. In a room of 50 people and only 1 is white and you need to hand him something. "that white guy" easily identifies that person. Or "that blonde chick" in a cluster of women at a club. Again, you are walking on egg shells as if labels are a bad thing. Especially when used innocuously. Racism, sexism, and any discrimination is based on intent and thought processes, not words used.

Also, way to take my police analogy too far and missing the point. No duh they use more defining characteristics than I listed. But whats one they always use if that information is available? Skin color. And some commonly accepted term has to be used or else its subjective. Imagine if in order to be "non offensive" I said "darker skinned" or "brown skinned". Whats that mean? Hispanic? Black? Some white guy whos got a really nice tan? "Black guy" Ok. Now, were more on the same page here.

K1LLTH3N00B

Oct 10, 2008
I personally call them coons, badgers, jiggaboos, darkies, blackies, baboons, banjo lips, biscuit lips, and africoons.

AMERICA

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
brown; it's not politically correct, but it's physically correct.

well no actually..... I've never thought of it to be honest. Africans or Caribbeans (or Jamaican) if we really need to address them by race, (which usually isn't appropriate or necessary)

I can't speak for all of Canada of course.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Crenelate said:
Wow. This seems more than a little sanctimonious. Of course if you know someone you call them by their name, and of course they're bloody people - you really think that's the point that's being discussed here? You're saying you've never referred to someone by a physical attribute?
Call it what you like, but referring to a group of people by attributes that they don't want to be used as a means of making them different than everyone else only perpetuates the problem.

Crenelate said:
I recon everyone in my generation uses black, as in 'that black guy over there'.
Your own words.

Tell me, why couldn't you have said 'that guy with the red jacket over there' or 'that guy wearing a hat over there'? Why did you immediately have to jump to skin tone? Is it just second nature to do that, regardless of how that person may feel about you doing it?
Now I'm curious. If you see a group of 10 dogs, and you're trying to point one out, what's the first attribute you go to when trying to describe it?

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
RokYerBeav said:
In any country.
In any language.
Stand back guys.

We are in the presence of a real man here.

Believed in his message so much that he decided to stay on his original account without fear of backlash.

To you, oh bravest of men, I salute you!

RokYerBeav

Feb 28, 2012
GigaHz said:
RokYerBeav said:
In any country.
In any language.
Stand back guys.

We are in the presence of a real man here.

Believed in his message so much that he decided to stay on his original account without fear of backlash.

To you, oh bravest of men, I salute you!
¿Quién es el hombre? RokYerBeav son!

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Wait, wait, wait. This title is confusing, "What are African Americans called in your country?" In any country, they would be defined as black people from America.

I'm guessing you wanted to ask what people call black persons born or living in their respective country. For mine, I suppose we just call them black people. Yep...

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Frizzle said:
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Crenelate said:
Wow. This seems more than a little sanctimonious. Of course if you know someone you call them by their name, and of course they're bloody people - you really think that's the point that's being discussed here? You're saying you've never referred to someone by a physical attribute?
Call it what you like, but referring to a group of people by attributes that they don't want to be used as a means of making them different than everyone else only perpetuates the problem.

Crenelate said:
I recon everyone in my generation uses black, as in 'that black guy over there'.
Your own words.

Tell me, why couldn't you have said 'that guy with the red jacket over there' or 'that guy wearing a hat over there'? Why did you immediately have to jump to skin tone? Is it just second nature to do that, regardless of how that person may feel about you doing it?
Now I'm curious. If you see a group of 10 dogs, and you're trying to point one out, what's the first attribute you go to when trying to describe it?
OMgZ yoU liek totaly COMPARded BLascks with DOGS!

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Frizzle said:
Dogs, as far as I'm aware, don't have a long history of race-related discrimination, hatred, and violence tied very closely to the idea of making it socially acceptable to single them out and make them 'different' by using words in this way.