What are "African-Americans" called in your country?

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
In Denmark, saying "Neger" is fairly common for some people. It's our word for "******", although in Danish it's not as much of a cuss-word as it is in English. Some people still consider it impolite-though, so many also just refer to them as black/blacks.

As for the term "African-American", I'm gonna go with Russell Peters on this one: You're not fucking Africans! :eek:)

Sk1ver

Mar 19, 2011
So why do you need a collective name that defines someone based on their racial heritage? Makes some sense if they were born in a different country, but otherwise?

Drakesfan

Nov 29, 2010
Cazza said:
I live in Perth Australia. We call them Australians.

I guess if you wanted to be specific the PC word is probably African Australian. Though I have never heard it used. I have heard used South African descent or South African Australian (Perth gets a lot of South African immigrants). Others I have heard are Zimbabwean & Somalian Australian/immigrants. Depends on which country they are from.

They have also been applied to white people from thoughs countries. I have heard South African Australian applied way more to white South African as I have met more of them.

I personally stick way with immigrant/race tag as I believe it's wrong. I never get called white-Austrlian or anything appling to my descent. So why should I do it to others. Most people in Australia feel the same way I guess. Most people just call them Australians.
right on totally agree with there..i do just call them Australians.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
It's easy to forget that in a lot of languages the word for 'black' is simply a descriptive word like 'negro'. That is after all, the origin of '******'.

EDIT: I'm from and in the UK, and I generally just use 'black' but in an entirely descriptive way. I consider everyone here to be 'British'.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
usually "neger" on there isn't really a taboo on the N word in holland.
or just person
I prefer to not use the word "neger" out of personal preferences.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Frizzle said:
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Crenelate said:
Wow. This seems more than a little sanctimonious. Of course if you know someone you call them by their name, and of course they're bloody people - you really think that's the point that's being discussed here? You're saying you've never referred to someone by a physical attribute?
Call it what you like, but referring to a group of people by attributes that they don't want to be used as a means of making them different than everyone else only perpetuates the problem.

Crenelate said:
I recon everyone in my generation uses black, as in 'that black guy over there'.
Your own words.

Tell me, why couldn't you have said 'that guy with the red jacket over there' or 'that guy wearing a hat over there'? Why did you immediately have to jump to skin tone? Is it just second nature to do that, regardless of how that person may feel about you doing it?
Now I'm curious. If you see a group of 10 dogs, and you're trying to point one out, what's the first attribute you go to when trying to describe it?
The breed of the dog. Sorry had to give the smart ass answer.
But yeah either that or the fur colour or anything obvious that can help describe the dog in question.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Black or coloured people. Or if you're me, just people.

I'm sure the phrase African American must piss off the Jamaicans and Haitians living in the states.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Black guys usually. To be honest we dont get a lot of African Americans in my country. Plenty of Maori, Islanders, and Indians (in terms of Black People) but not a lot of African Americans.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
In Uruguay, we call someone who is black... "black"

I know, shocking. Then again, many people seems to make a big deal out of Suarez doing it...

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Spot1990 said:
In Ireland, black. We don't need to be too PC, 800 years of oppression kinda destroys any notion of "white guilt".
Reminds me of this:

Love that film.

OP: As said before, in Ireland we just say 'black'. I didn't even realise that wasn't PC. No one I know seems to have a problem with it and that's not meant as an 'I have this one black friend so it's okay' statement.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Black. I don't see why I would call them "African Belgian". It implies they're either African or Belgian. Not all Black people are from Africa. Also I don't get the whole PC thing of calling a black person black. How is it worse than calling a white person white?

Ideally though, people wouldn't have labels.