What are questions you are sick of people asking?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
What music do you listen to... The people who ask it are the ones I don't want to have know even a single thing about me. The first talking point, always by people who would never understand my incredibly mixed and mashed list of songs that pulls from every F***ing genre and even has orchestrals... And people who would generally not have any more depth than a wafer biscuit under a steam-roller.

EDIT: Facebook. I DON'T WANT IT! So please for the love of everything you hold holy and dear, do not ask again, because if you do I shall proceed to eviscerate you with this gel pen and use your guts as a clothes-line. Have a nice day.

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
TheModWolf said:
OrenjiJusu said:
"Why don't you have a soul?"
"Are your pubes ginger too?"
"Why don't you get a haircut?/Dye your hair?"
"Why are you holding a knife?"
"Why did you stab me?"
"Why are the police taking so long to get here?"
I love having red hair, i reckon it's awesome, but my god am I sure sick of answering "are your pubes ginger too". Come on Einstein, what do you think? Saying why don't you check for yourself is usually a good way to get people to stop I've found. Although this one time...

Haha! You have my sympathies. I get that myself question all too often, and I'm not even a proper ginger(some sort of reddish blond brown -_-').

O.T.: The most irritating question people always ask me is to do with where I come from. Sometimes it's fine, doesn't bother me, they're just curious. But then there are others who, yes, are curious also, but push me into the same, exact, tedious bloody copy/pasted dialogue :

- Where are you from?
- Zimbabwe
- Where's that?
- It's in Southern Africa
- But, you're white?
- Oh golly gumdrops, I hadn't noticed...

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The Elcor Batman said:
I hate it when someone asks me what my favourite band is, as it always seems to imply im only allowed to have one. As a result, they get all annoyed when i give them a vague answer.

Same can apply for games, movies etc.
Oh yes, this one. Singling out one favorite ANYTHING is a pain for me. While I'm not really "sick" of it (because I don't hear it a lot), when this question does come up it's annoying because I can't really answer it.

I'd much rather get "What kind of music/movies/games do you like?" and then have a discussion with the person about the topic. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who has a broad range of interests in music/movies/games, and likes to weigh and consider the merits, flaws, strengths, and weaknesses of my "favorites."

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
vingtcinq said:
"How are you?"
"Good. How are you?"
Honestly, this greeting ritual is meaningless and highly annoying.
I really hate this question. The whole "How are you?" socially constructed greeting is so trite. I've often blindsided people by answering "Not so good," and then going into a 1-2 minute spiel about the trials of my life. People don't usually know how to react to this radical honesty.

The thing is, the "How are you?" question CAN be a vehicle for people, especially people who are close, to become closer by being open and honest, but even I find myself saying (especially with people I don't know well) "I'm good. How are you?" when I'm actually really upset, because that's what's expected.

We need to get past this "greeting ritual" as you appropriately called it. Then, maybe one day, asking someone how their life is going will have meaning again.

lord667

Sep 3, 2008
"How's work going?"

Stephen Hawking might have an interesting answer to that question. I work in an office. Shall I sit you down and tell you some anecdotes about my VBA macros?

"Don't you get bored sitting up there on your own [in an internet-connected room full of computers, musical instruments, books, DVD's and video games]?"

No...

"Can you have a look at my computer?"

All I'm going to do is Google that error message. You know that, you've watched me do it. It's not as if you don't have three other computers in the house you could use to do that yourself, but no, you're going to drive across town to waste my time with it instead. You've been online for five years, how can you still be afraid of a little tech jargon? You can name every little sprocket and flange that goes into a car, but you throw your hands in the air when some web-page uses the phrase "hard disk"?

DiscipleOfUranus

Aug 28, 2010
What does your tattoo mean?
Usually followed by...
How do you know it says that? It could say (insert insult)

I know it says that, because I translated it and took it to my tattoo artist, as far as he was concerned it was just some shapes to put on my arm.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
"How do you spell your name"

My (real)* first name is fairly uncommon, but I'm always asked that question by THE SAME GODDAMN PEOPLE!

also, "Are you related to [some person in the community who has the same last name as me]"

my (real)* last name is a fairly common hispanic last name, and just about every relative I have on my father's side of the family that I know lives in either the NYC-Long Island area, or in Puerto Rico. I live in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere.

*I use a fake name online.

Tigerlily Warrior

Jan 22, 2010
Alucard 11189 said:
I am fed up with people asking me if I am a lesbian. I don't mind if you ask me once, but when the same person asks me about 5 times I get a bit irked. All because I don't like "girly" things. I like ice hockey, baseball, basketball and American football and that is a lot of people's basis for me being a lesbian. It baffles me.
My question that I really hate is "are you seeing someone?" or "why aren't you with anyone?" My mother especially has moved straight to "are you a lesbian?" if only to follow with "we could find a nice girl for you."

Why is it that if someone is not in a relationship (or causually dating) does it automatically mean there's something wrong with them?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Threads: "Is CoD good/bad??" or numerous variations thereof
"do you think console-x is better than console-y?" we get it, you like fanboy fights...
"do you hate x" look, make a constructive thread please, asking people to hate is like leaving troll-bait on your front porch, they will knock asking for more...

General life questions: "How far apart are mile-markers?" I grew up in the FL Keys, and you would be amazed at how many people ask this question. Note: Mile-markers are the Keys' version of landmarks for navigation purposes.

"Why don't you smile more?" I'm not excitable. I don't smile often because I don't feel the need. I'm not grim or dour, or have a pissed off expression either. I just don't smile much.

"What time is it?" Do I look like I'm wearing a watch? BTW, that smartphone in your hand does more than just make calls and texts to your BFF.

Sariteiya

Jun 10, 2011
"So, what are you doing aside from this, are you in school?"

For context, I'm in my early twenties, and I work in retail. I'm not going to college or university, because I'm unsure of what I want to do with my life, and I don't want to blow thousands of dollars to find out I don't like something. At any rate this question is always asked by random customers, and they always always always judge me for not being in school. Especially old ladies. When I say I'm not in school they usually tell me about their genius granddaughters who are in med school learning to become Super-Doctors or something.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Are you really gay?
I mean, I never expected the hardest part of coming out of the closet to be nobody believing you...

SkylarSkull

Jul 4, 2011
I also get asked the "Are you gay?" question.
THE ANSWER IS NO! Why do they all think that? I am straight, goddammit.....

Mayonegg

Mar 29, 2009
King Toasty said:
You wear glasses? No shit, Sherlock.

You'd be amazed how many times I get that.
Completely sympathise with you on that one mate.

"You're left-handed?"

It truly astonishes me that people ask that question. What is it? 1 in 9ish? I mean you don't get people all of a sudden saying: "You're black?"

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Mayonegg said:
King Toasty said:
You wear glasses? No shit, Sherlock.

You'd be amazed how many times I get that.
Completely sympathise with you on that one mate.

"You're left-handed?"

It truly astonishes me that people ask that question. What is it? 1 in 9ish? I mean you don't get people all of a sudden saying: "You're black?"
I hear that all the time, actually,to my black friend.
"Dude you're black?"
And he's all, "Aww yeah I'mma cut you *****."

And then he goes to play Oblivion.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm sick to death when my relative or stranger asking me employment related questions like "Have you got a job yet" or "Have you try using this site?" etc...
I also hate questions that make look lazy or bad for being anti social like "So what you been doing to proactive?" or "Have you gone out lately?".