What are you currently playing?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Chasm

Metroidvania with randomly generated dungeons, or rather randomly laid-out dungeons. I get the appeal in a roguelike but what's the point if the dungeon doesn't reset when you die? I would only appreciate the gimmick during a second playthrough, and I'm not convinced rearranging the five or six types of rooms in between checkpoints would make for much of a game changer.

Other than being able to seed different maps each game, everything else is more or less par for the course. It doesn't have much of a personality. The way the dungeons are layered and you keep uncovering new ways back to town reminds me of SteamWorld Dig but without the strong surface/underground feedback. In Dig you mine ore so you can sell it back in town to further expedite your mining (make your lamp last longer, bigger inventory, stronger/faster mining equipment, halve the cost of steampunk tech, etc). In Chasm there's rarely a reason to go back to town. You can heal underground just fine at statues and the RNG keeps feeding me better equipment without having to go to the shops, which are expensive AF anyway.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
If you are talking about the "Switch" button that turns the flowchart from a series of circles into a series of thumbnails then yes, I have seen it. Although I fail to see what use it had over the circle based flowchart.
No, I think I meant the other way around. When I was watching it seemed to default to the thumbnail chart, which doesn't seem very good.

Reactions: Bedinsis

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I don't normally pre-order games, but my girlfriend pre-ordered the Dead Space remake for me as a Christmas gift, and it comes out today.

I have already downloaded it, and the reviews are positively glowing. It unlocks at 4pm local time, and I am really excited to play it.

Aside from Mass Effect, Im of the opinion that Dead Space was one of the stronger new franchises of the Xbox 360/PS3 generation. Im not exactly certain that it needed a remake (the original holds up really well, last time I checked), but I am also a massive slut for remakes and remasters in general, so im sure I will love it.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Bit of Forsaken before Dead Space drops. Is pretty fun. Not the best intro, but once that passes is much better. Good cat representation too. And one very attention grabbing character who is some sort of archivist/blacksmith woman who felt instantly like a real person. Like a Witcher 3 NPC with fancier animation. Tho I may just be biased to confident working-class London accents, but it was one of those "hey I want more this person please!" moments as soons as she was introduced.

Am so excited for Dead Space tonight tho. Is silly that a remake of a decade old game is what causes these emotions. But goddamn it's sci-fi horror...the best of all genres! Except for when it's done shit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Playing some Dead Space, and so far... yeah, it is more Dead Space.

Im sure if I were to go back to the original and compare and contrast, then sure, I would find a lot more differences/changes, but as it stands, it really feels like the Dead Space that I am already very familiar with, just with an (admittedly very nice) new coat of paint.

That is a compliment to both games, really. The original game holds up remarkably well. The remake, despite being rebuilt from the ground up, still captures the same feeling that the original game did.

I don't really need to roll credits to say unequivocally that this game does not need to exist, but, im having fun with it, so im glad it does.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So I have some updates from my VR testing for work. We're doing some wifi bandwidth testing for quest 2 and the quest pro.

Quest 2
Giving my initial thoughts on the Quest 2, I quite enjoy using it except the strap which really took some tweaking to get reasonably comfortable, I still ended up ordering one of these BOBOVR M2 Pro Battery Pack Head Strap which should be here any minute. Its neat, so much so that I bought a couple more games and some limb weights to try work out apps. Ive just been playing beat saber and arizona sunshine really. I paid for the quest 2 out of pocket and I haven't decided if Im gonna expense it or give it away. I think as someone who isn't really a vr person I could still recommend it for the price, though I think the replacement headstrap is a must.

Quest Pro
This is where it's gonna get divisive. For me, It is night and fucking day between the two. On every front. The pro is perfectly comfortable, It fits snuggly, but balanced so your front isn't dragging because it sits "on" your head rather than than hanging from your face. The graphics are also worlds above the Quest 2. Like I'd almost compare it between PS3 and PS5. with the quest 2 it still has that sort of PSVR effect where you feel like you have a medium res game console strapped to your face. The pro is like you are fucking inhabiting the VR space. It was dizzying at points. This did not feel like a simple upgrade. This feels like a difference experience. The controllers are also smaller which for me is a benefit. they feel less like PSVR wands. One of the more AR aspects is that the goggles are also passthrough optional, you can turn it on so you can see your surrounding while being in VR. It was a super strange feeling to see my own arm, while navigating menus. I dig it and I'm probably gonna use that a lot. The headset and controllers charge off a light connect baystation. Its not wireless, but it is nicer that having to mess with the cables of the Quest 2.

The problem is price. My rig is paid for and I could afford it if I wanted it so I'm in this awkward position where to "me" $1499 is worth it, but thats just asking too much for sensible people. That said this isn't a debate between a PS4 and a PS4 pro or a corolla vs camry. This is a Tercel versus an AE86. This is xbox 360 vs series X. You see where the money went. I'd guess at most meta makes like $100-200 on each pro, where as I can see them making a solid consistent profit on the Quest 2s. Tonight Im gonna mess around with a bunch more games. Theres a psp vr emulator I kinda want to mess with too.

On a side note I bought a 256Gb Quest 2. Definitely dont bother, youre gonna use VR desktop for all your games. It really serves no purpose, just get the 128Gb.

PXL_20230127_202228048.jpg

Reactions: gorfias

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm still playing Elden Ring, very close to the end.

I just beat Malenia by using the two cunning tactics of "summoning in two guys from the internet to distract her" and "throwing Ranni's Dark Moon at her over and over again which takes off like 1/7th of her healthbar each time I inflict frostbite because I'm pretty over-levelled".

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I just beat Malenia by using the two cunning tactics of "summoning in two guys from the internet to distract her" and "throwing Ranni's Dark Moon at her over and over again which takes off like 1/7th of her healthbar each time I inflict frostbite because I'm pretty over-levelled".
If it works, it works.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I just saw this little gem, and for a moment I thought I somehow missed an entire Vanillaware game.

Turns out it's an indie game that came out a while back and finally got ported to ps4. It legit captures that Odin Sphere/Dragon's Crown essence and the art style itself looks gorgeous. Will jump all over that once I'm done with pathfinder.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Have you tried any Night sorceries? Comet in particular is exceptional, especially with talisman buffs and the magic physik. Another neat thing is enemies won’t even try to dodge it.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Turns out it's an indie game that came out a while back and finally got ported to ps4. It legit captures that Odin Sphere/Dragon's Crown essence and the art style itself looks gorgeous. Will jump all over that once I'm done with pathfinder.
I played that awhile back on PC. Its quite good, but her bikini outfit is kinda distracting from a pretty dark story.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So I have some updates from my VR testing for work. We're doing some wifi bandwidth testing for quest 2 and the quest pro.

Quest 2
Giving my initial thoughts on the Quest 2, I quite enjoy using it except the strap which really took some tweaking to get reasonably comfortable, I still ended up ordering one of these BOBOVR M2 Pro Battery Pack Head Strap which should be here any minute. Its neat, so much so that I bought a couple more games and some limb weights to try work out apps. Ive just been playing beat saber and arizona sunshine really. I paid for the quest 2 out of pocket and I haven't decided if Im gonna expense it or give it away. I think as someone who isn't really a vr person I could still recommend it for the price, though I think the replacement headstrap is a must.

Quest Pro
This is where it's gonna get divisive. For me, It is night and fucking day between the two. On every front. The pro is perfectly comfortable, It fits snuggly, but balanced so your front isn't dragging because it sits "on" your head rather than than hanging from your face. The graphics are also worlds above the Quest 2. Like I'd almost compare it between PS3 and PS5. with the quest 2 it still has that sort of PSVR effect where you feel like you have a medium res game console strapped to your face. The pro is like you are fucking inhabiting the VR space. It was dizzying at points. This did not feel like a simple upgrade. This feels like a difference experience. The controllers are also smaller which for me is a benefit. they feel less like PSVR wands. One of the more AR aspects is that the goggles are also passthrough optional, you can turn it on so you can see your surrounding while being in VR. It was a super strange feeling to see my own arm, while navigating menus. I dig it and I'm probably gonna use that a lot. The headset and controllers charge off a light connect baystation. Its not wireless, but it is nicer that having to mess with the cables of the Quest 2.

The problem is price. My rig is paid for and I could afford it if I wanted it so I'm in this awkward position where to "me" $1499 is worth it, but thats just asking too much for sensible people. That said this isn't a debate between a PS4 and a PS4 pro or a corolla vs camry. This is a Tercel versus an AE86. This is xbox 360 vs series X. You see where the money went. I'd guess at most meta makes like $100-200 on each pro, where as I can see them making a solid consistent profit on the Quest 2s. Tonight Im gonna mess around with a bunch more games. Theres a psp vr emulator I kinda want to mess with too.

On a side note I bought a 256Gb Quest 2. Definitely dont bother, youre gonna use VR desktop for all your games. It really serves no purpose, just get the 128Gb.

View attachment 7810
I play the Quest 2 about as much as anything else. After the Fall is a favorite. I am bummed we did not get a Quest 3 at a similar price point to the 2. Advances have happened. $1,500 is steep and isn't really Quest 3. It is Cheve saying, "We make a Chevette! And a Corvette!" The Corvette is in a different league, not the next stage of the Chevette. I am jealous as you must be having a blast with them.

Reactions: Piscian

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I played that awhile back on PC. Its quite good, but her bikini outfit is kinda distracting from a pretty dark story.
That's part of the Vanillaware look so it just makes it authentic to me.

It's pretty shallow to be distracted from a story because a char is sexy and bouncyfull. If anything, it enhances the experience by giving it more nice things to look at as opposed to fewer ones.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's part of the Vanillaware look so it just makes it authentic to me.

It's pretty shallow to be distracted from a story because a char is sexy and bouncyfull. If anything, it enhances the experience by giving it more nice things to look at as opposed to fewer ones.
I'm sorry, I couldn't read that. I kept getting distracted.

BouncyBouncyBouncyBouncy.

Is there rubber in there?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nothing like hearing a story about genocide and rape while looking at a chick in a bikini.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Nothing like hearing a story about genocide and rape while looking at a chick in a bikini.
Sounds like the sort of thing where you don't let evils around you stop you from being true to your desires and expressing yourself. Overcoming adversity instead of being permanently damaged by it is the mark of a lot of heroic tales so you can definitely have that work well. A girl in a bikini has nothing in relation to rape, or genocide, and both of those are gonna be part of any sorta dark fantasy tale to one degree or another so it doesn't make sense to have noting beautiful or appealing in such tales and have them just be dark or dreary all the time. That's the cool thing about videogames; you can be freed from how such things can affect people in reality and experience a magical alternative. Not everything need be Shindler's List and make you feel like shit.