What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Camera was all over the place a bit there, inexcusable I know, sorry, was, um, disoriented...

I finally got to the Chapter, Return 3, where you can switch characters any time a save rooms. Though I think I will stick with Saga for a while, since her levels are more like the first game, but more open-ended and allows you to backtrack to previous areas. Like how it was originally supposed to be in the original. Alan's section have much more heavier puzzle focus. I don't mind it, but I need a break from it for a good while. Another problem with some of Alan's sections is that I get lost easy, even with the map some times.

Alan Wake II is basically Remedy's RE2 and Alone in the Dark. It's a better AlinTD than the 2008 version. It's the best modern Alone title we're going to get, unless new new reboot that comes out is actually great.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
I finally got to the Chapter, Return 3, where you can switch characters any time a save rooms. Though I think I will stick with Saga for a while, since her levels are more like the first game, but more open-ended and allows you to backtrack to previous areas. Like how it was originally supposed to be in the original. Alan's section have much more heavier puzzle focus. I don't mind it, but I need a break from it for a good while. Another problem with some of Alan's sections is that I get lost easy, even with the map some times.

Alan Wake II is basically Remedy's RE2 and Alone in the Dark. It's a better AlinTD than the 2008 version. It's the best modern Alone title we're going to get, unless new new reboot that comes out is actually great.
That's pretty much where I got to last as well, albeit a few conversations and a goose chase to the wrong "coffee world" store later (the quest used the name of shop located in a completely different load screen of an area instead of "turn right into this random country path next you that has nothing to do with coffee world, soz lol"). Alan world is the wibbly wobbly world of shifting imagination and the map is an unexpected hassle so it is definitely easier to get lost in, for sure, lost count of how many oblivious back n forths it got me doing. Also those fakeout shimmer silhouette spectres have wasted too many torch batteries of mine already! Have had to learn to learn settle my paranoid ass down and let them just kinda do their own grumbly things first.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's pretty much where I got to last as well, albeit a few conversations and a goose chase to the wrong "coffee world" store later (the quest used the name of shop located in a completely different load screen of an area instead of "turn right into this random country path next you that has nothing to do with coffee world, soz lol"). Alan world is the wibbly wobbly world of shifting imagination and the map is an unexpected hassle so it is definitely easier to get lost in, for sure, lost count of how many oblivious back n forths it got me doing. Also those fakeout shimmer silhouette spectres have wasted too many torch batteries of mine already! Have had to learn to learn settle my paranoid ass down and let them just kinda do their own grumbly things first.
I did Alan's Initation 4 & 5. Currently on Return 5 as Saga. The shimmering guys in Al's, I always try to go out of my way to not to fight them, if I can avoid it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Arkham Knight on NG+, finally got the Platinum. Mixing NG+ with all the DLC was fun. And I know the game is not *that* old (by my standards anyway) but it's still impressive just how detailed and polished the graphics are.

My nitpicks are:

1) I still think the game is sorely lacking in boss fights and kind of a letdown in that regard, especially considering the fights in City/Origins. I don't believe you personally fight any Batman rogue outside Mecha Riddler and Croc, and Croc's DLC. Everybody else is a takedown at the end of a chase or a combat encounter. This also goes hand in hand with the generally disappointing conclusions to subplots that were hyped in previous games, such as Asrael, Hush and Deathstroke.

2) I also don't like the Batmobile sections. The side stuff is fine - chasing after APCs, the tower bomb defense fights, working the car into combat and puzzles, just generally speeding 'round Gotham, all of that is fine. What I loathe is whenever the game forces the Batmobile on you since it's so limiting - it's simply not as versatile as combat Batman or predator Batman. The Cloudburst fight, the assault on GCPD and the excavator fight were no fun during my first go and downright painful on NG+. There's nothing this level of punishing in the rest of the game.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Tried out someone I never thought I’d like playing as in MK1: Reiko. Got a neat looking head piece for him and thought why not check out how he plays. Did 6 out of 7 of his challenges but only got about 80% of the last so far. He feels powerful but also has quick neutral movement which makes combo potential and pressure more interesting. He seems to pair well with Jax and is one of those characters where I can see more value in the Kameo system.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Alan Wake II - Alright, I finished Return 6 & 7, so I have to finish the game as Alan. It would be vice versa for Saga, if I did all of Alan's chapters first. Initiation 6 is nothing but an easy walk-a-thon, but I am not complaining. I am at Initiation 7, so this more than likely the final chapter. I am stopping for tonight, and will finish the rest tomorrow.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finished Cultic on extreme. Was still quite fun, its such a well made FPS. Great music, great atmosphere, great weapons, great enemies, etc. I even found out you can pick up a dead cultists shield and use it as a shield, not sure how I went this long without knowing, but it works pretty well. Wish I had known earlier, would have made the early game easier.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I played the AVGN games on steam for about two hours, and then refunded it.

Look, I love the guy's work, been watching him since middle school, and will continue to love his reviews as long as he makes them, but the games aren't just that great.

I feel like the game was designed to frustrate you. A slight touch to the death block kills you. Which is ironic because Nerd has complained many times about pixel-perfect accuracies in many of his reviews.

It would be unfair to put all the blame on him, but I feel like he could've had more say in the development.

Sep 14, 2023
Country
FuckYou
So after finishing BG 1, I moved on to BG 2 and yeah this feels much more like an actual Bioware RPG, with your companions actually having a fleshed-out personality, dialogue and story rather than being disposable meat puppets that were simply there for combat assistance like they were in the first game. I guess it makes sense since this is essentially the template for every modern Bioware RPG. I actually started BG 2 years ago and made it past Irenecus' dungeon. I remember it being brutal and that I had to be super cautious and save scummy with every enemy encounter during the tutorial dungeon. This time around everything feels much easier and more manageable for some reason? Maybe I didn't play the Enhanced Edition the first time around since the default difficulty here is easier than the original BG 2 difficulty.

It feels much more sensibly balanced for a starting area, unlike BG 1 where you immediately start getting fucked the second you are released into the wilderness. Just a lot of the weird tonal issues in the writing and voice acting, jank, and rough edges have been smoothed out in the sequel. There's still a charming 90's camp to the characters, but it feels more grounded and in line with the fantasy tone of the game. Imoen is an actual character who treats your protagonist like her childhood friend and makes comments regarding your situation as you try to escape from Iranicus dungeon. It's a farcry from whatever the fuck she was supposed to be in BG 1. But that does lead to the issue of the pacing here being much more stop-and-start. I kind of understand why some people prefer BG1's openness and simplicity. You can leave Candlekeep in under 5 minutes and then just venture off into the wilderness exploring and doing whatever you want. Meanwhile, in BG2 you have to trudge through 1-2 hours of dungeon crawling before you finally escape.

Also I might be taking crazy pills but I feel the AI pathfinding in 2 is atrocious and worse than it was in 1. The AI is actually idiotic in game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played the AVGN games on steam for about two hours, and then refunded it.

Look, I love the guy's work, been watching him since middle school, and will continue to love his reviews as long as he makes them, but the games aren't just that great.

I feel like the game was designed to frustrate you. A slight touch to the death block kills you. Which is ironic because Nerd has complained many times about pixel-perfect accuracies in many of his reviews.

It would be unfair to put all the blame on him, but I feel like he could've had more say in the development.
I never bothered with his games for a good reason. The Nerd had legit complaints, even though he was in character. Too many death blocks.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So after finishing BG 1, I moved on to BG 2 and yeah this feels much more like an actual Bioware RPG, with your companions actually having a fleshed-out personality, dialogue and story rather than being disposable meat puppets that were simply there for combat assistance like they were in the first game. I guess it makes sense since this is essentially the template for every modern Bioware RPG. I actually started BG 2 years ago and made it past Irenecus' dungeon. I remember it being brutal and that I had to be super cautious and save scummy with every enemy encounter during the tutorial dungeon. This time around everything feels much easier and more manageable for some reason? Maybe I didn't play the Enhanced Edition the first time around since the default difficulty here is easier than the original BG 2 difficulty.

It feels much more sensibly balanced for a starting area, unlike BG 1 where you immediately start getting fucked the second you are released into the wilderness. Just a lot of the weird tonal issues in the writing and voice acting, jank, and rough edges have been smoothed out in the sequel. There's still a charming 90's camp to the characters, but it feels more grounded and in line with the fantasy tone of the game. Imoen is an actual character who treats your protagonist like her childhood friend and makes comments regarding your situation as you try to escape from Iranicus dungeon. It's a farcry from whatever the fuck she was supposed to be in BG 1. But that does lead to the issue of the pacing here being much more stop-and-start. I kind of understand why some people prefer BG1's openness and simplicity. You can leave Candlekeep in under 5 minutes and then just venture off into the wilderness exploring and doing whatever you want. Meanwhile, in BG2 you have to trudge through 1-2 hours of dungeon crawling before you finally escape.

Also I might be taking crazy pills but I feel the AI pathfinding in 2 is atrocious and worse than it was in 1. The AI is actually idiotic in game.
BG1 is basically Bioware pumping out a vague open ended nothingburger to full a contractual obligation to do the Bhaalspawn thing as part of the Time of Troubles/3rd ed Rebrand for Forgotten Realms. Which I suspect bleeds into the characters because you can't just flood the canon with new characters of note.

BG2 they basically ignore that entire story entirely and do their own thing. Presumably being given some creative freedom to do so after BG1s unexpected success.

Throne of Bhaal got dragged back to it to finish before Interplay fell off a cliff or something.

Funnily, the canon novels that go along with it just explicitly killed everyone involved and later retconned/made pointless the whole thing.

Theres a large portion of BG2 that amusingly, because I assume its just a contract point to use the Underdark assets no matter how unlikely or unrelated it is, can be completely skipped and ignored. Which is an ironic contrast to the fact that BG2 is essentially able to be entirely skipped and ignored in the context of its own series (despite being the better of the original 3 bits).

I would say that BG1 and IWD felt more like a traditional D&D game. BG2 definitely has more of that sense of you're playing someone elses defined story. Starting straight out of the gate where the game insists that you kept Imoen, agreed and joined with Khalid and Jaheira, and also picked up highly optional characters in Minsc and Dynaheir.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Been playing Alan Wake (the remaster).

I think I'm nearing the end, and it's here where I feel the game is actually getting quite fun. For the first 2/3's of the game you're just wandering nondescript, dark forrest alone shooting shadow enemies, and it's not too riviting, with some very frustrating enemy encounters. But once you get to Episode 5 the level design actually gets a lot more interesting, you have more interactions with other characters, and the combat gets a lot more fun.

Don't know what to say about the story, I haven't really been too intrigued by it, but the mood is adequate.

Also, what's the deal with the coffee thermos? At first I thought they were health pick-ups, but they don't really do shit. Are they just collectables, because it doesn't seem like you can even check how many you've got.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I think I'm nearing the end, and it's here where I feel the game is actually getting quite fun. For the first 2/3's of the game you're just wandering nondescript, dark forrest alone shooting shadow enemies, and it's not too riviting, with some very frustrating enemy encounters. But once you get to Episode 5 the level design actually gets a lot more interesting, you have more interactions with other characters, and the combat gets a lot more fun.

Don't know what to say about the story, I haven't really been too intrigued by it, but the mood is adequate.

Also, what's the deal with the coffee thermos? At first I thought they were health pick-ups, but they don't really do shit. Are they just collectables, because it doesn't seem like you can even check how many you've got.
The coffee thermos really don't do anything and is just regular collectibles. I think you get some minor unlocks, if you collect them all, but I never bothered to look it up.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Still felt in a shooter mood, well, shooter or rpg and the ff6 pixel remaster is still missing the patches that the console versions got, but it sounds like they might be coming? Anyway, tried Boltgun, but after Cultic, it just felt... ehh. Remembered I had the Bulletstorm reloaded thing, started playing it, its got issues, the remaster was really done on the cheap and its got a lot of lingering console issues like way too much screen shake. But, its stupid and bombastic in a way that cod could only dream of, so... I think I'll keep going, doesn't match up to Cultic at all, but its ridiculous enough to be fun.

Sep 14, 2023
Country
FuckYou

I'm playing the first game in preparation for the second and it just suffers too much from 7th gen third person shooter syndrome for me to really find it compelling. I have this issue with a lot of Remedy games despite desperately wanting to like them.

BG1 is basically Bioware pumping out a vague open ended nothingburger to full a contractual obligation to do the Bhaalspawn thing as part of the Time of Troubles/3rd ed Rebrand for Forgotten Realms. Which I suspect bleeds into the characters because you can't just flood the canon with new characters of note.

BG2 they basically ignore that entire story entirely and do their own thing. Presumably being given some creative freedom to do so after BG1s unexpected success.

Throne of Bhaal got dragged back to it to finish before Interplay fell off a cliff or something.

Funnily, the canon novels that go along with it just explicitly killed everyone involved and later retconned/made pointless the whole thing.

Theres a large portion of BG2 that amusingly, because I assume its just a contract point to use the Underdark assets no matter how unlikely or unrelated it is, can be completely skipped and ignored. Which is an ironic contrast to the fact that BG2 is essentially able to be entirely skipped and ignored in the context of its own series (despite being the better of the original 3 bits).

I would say that BG1 and IWD felt more like a traditional D&D game. BG2 definitely has more of that sense of you're playing someone elses defined story. Starting straight out of the gate where the game insists that you kept Imoen, agreed and joined with Khalid and Jaheira, and also picked up highly optional characters in Minsc and Dynaheir.
What's baffling is I'm playing the Enhanced Editions by Beamdog and they've added their own companions who actually have companion quests and dialogue the way companions do in the second game? Like even as someone who didn't really know much about the Enhanced Editions, it was extremely obvious the Beamdog characters were recent editions due to how the voice acting and writing sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm just baffled as to why they didn't add dialogue and a story to the "canon" companions (i.e. Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Minsc and Dynaheir) but insisted on awkwardly inserting their shitty fanfic characters.

Also the Enhanced Edition of the second game is fucking awful. The pathfinding is worse than the first game. There are so many bugs with spells. Like the Maze status effect became permanent on Yoshimo and Minsc, meaning I couldn't leave the area or rest because they were still stuck in Maze. And when I dismissed them, they didn't respawn at the locations where they are suppose to wait for you. Jaheira's Harper's Call spell also just doesn't straight up work. And there are some NPC and enemies that just straight up don't spawn. I had to use a console command to get them to spawn. If I'd known that it would have all these issues I would have just played the original version.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm playing the first game in preparation for the second and it just suffers too much from 7th gen third person shooter syndrome for me to really find it compelling. I have this issue with a lot of Remedy games despite desperately wanting to like them.
I get what you mean, but there are so many worse 3rd person games from the 7th generation that suffer from 7th gen third person shooter syndrome. Spec Ops-Line, Inversion, both Kane and Lynch games (Dog Days being even worse), Mind Jack, and Quantum Break (that game is a 7th generation game with an 8th generation coat of paint). The same applies to The Order: 1886 as well.

At least Alan Wake has some gameplay variety and visual styles and aesthetics to stand out from the generic browns and greys of most shooters. The title character at least half personality and is not just some generic or gruff soldier, nor is he just some criminal asshole we're supposed to like or tolerate.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

What's baffling is I'm playing the Enhanced Editions by Beamdog and they've added their own companions who actually have companion quests and dialogue the way companions do in the second game? Like even as someone who didn't really know much about the Enhanced Editions, it was extremely obvious the Beamdog characters were recent editions due to how the voice acting and writing sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm just baffled as to why they didn't add dialogue and a story to the "canon" companions (i.e. Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Minsc and Dynaheir) but insisted on awkwardly inserting their shitty fanfic characters.

Also the Enhanced Edition of the second game is fucking awful. The pathfinding is worse than the first game. There are so many bugs with spells. Like the Maze status effect became permanent on Yoshimo and Minsc, meaning I couldn't leave the area or rest because they were still stuck in Maze. And when I dismissed them, they didn't respawn at the locations where they are suppose to wait for you. Jaheira's Harper's Call spell also just doesn't straight up work. And there are some NPC and enemies that just straight up don't spawn. I had to use a console command to get them to spawn. If I'd known that it would have all these issues I would have just played the original version.
Part of my brain is tickling that the Harpers Call speciically was also broken in the original (although I also jettisoned Jaheirqa ASAP, so)

Although lets also jusst say that Infinity/Aurora engine Bioware was notoriously kind of buggy and heavily patched up by fans alot too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished all of Alan's Dark World Chapters, and the game is still not over yet. After fighting Scratch a second time, Saga gets thrown into Dark Place, and we're now controlling Alan again back in the real world! The critics were not exaggerating. Alan Wake II is like 18-20+ hours long.