What are you currently playing?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
For whatever reasonable I just started playing Steamworld Quest this past weekend. Idk where it came from but it was installed on my switch and I was too miserable and sick this weekend to play anything that took effort or induced stress.

For such a simple RPG I'm a little shocked at how deep the combat "mechanic" is. So much so that maybe 5 bosses into the game I've found myself stuck, getting my ass kicked and having to go back and grind a little and rearrange my decks to try and power through.

For those that have somehow ignore this indie darling, it's ultra basic flash animation style fantasy RPG with people replaced with Robots. The big hook is that instead of combat abilities you have a deck of cards similar to Slay the Spire. However this deck is a combination of three characters decks mixed into one and its all customizable. The more interesting aspect is that base action cards add action points and higher level cards take action points so each turn you want to play basic actions and build towards big actions. Additionally if you play 3 actions one turn from one character you get a combo finisher action. For theres several levels to the combat, keeping things interesting.

Idk, I'm enjoying it, but it feels like the RNG can be a bit soul crushing at times.
I've got pretty much all the steamworld games, but there is always something about them that prevents me from really getting into them. I got the furthest in Quest, but ended up dropping it for reasons I don't really understand. I just reached a point where I stopped caring.

I grabbed Chasm and Beyond Sunset. Beat Chasm, it was pretty neat, its like a combination of quake 2 and wolfenstein. Mainly because all the levels are flat, but its 3d. Enemies (at least on hard) are pretty bullet spongy and you have to box them to avoid damage and for the most part its a good time, but there are some traps the game likes to do that are a huge pain in the ass, like teleporting enemies into your butt when you hit a switch, or trapping you in a small hallway with too many enemies. The bosses are all puzzles too, shooting them is generally a waste of ammo, you gotta figure out a trick to kill them, usually not too hard. Anyway, yeah, I liked it.

Beyond Sunset... Its... ok. The first episode is starts really interesting where you are wondering a cyberpunk slum where you can talk to npcs and figure out where your target is. But then you get a weapon. Combat is fast but... enemy spammy. It likes to put you in an area and just teleport a bunch of enemies in, which is fine, but the way it teleports them is kinda annoying. There is a quick portal animation then the enemies are there and it seems like they immediately start attacking , which is fine for ranged enemies but for melee ones that are suddenly in your butt, its annoying. Episode 2 looks cool, but I think I managed to break it and would need to start over to get out of the area I'm in and I'm not sure I care. Been thinking about doing another Hedon playthrough anyway.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I grabbed Chasm and Beyond Sunset. Beat Chasm, it was pretty neat, its like a combination of quake 2 and wolfenstein. Mainly because all the levels are flat, but its 3d. Enemies (at least on hard) are pretty bullet spongy and you have to box them to avoid damage and for the most part its a good time, but there are some traps the game likes to do that are a huge pain in the ass, like teleporting enemies into your butt when you hit a switch, or trapping you in a small hallway with too many enemies. The bosses are all puzzles too, shooting them is generally a waste of ammo, you gotta figure out a trick to kill them, usually not too hard. Anyway, yeah, I liked it.
This one?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Haha, that makes more sense. I didn't think that sounded much like the Chasm I played.
I could have done a better job describing things and not forgetting "the rift" part of the title.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I could have done a better job describing things and not forgetting "the rift" part of the title.
I'm thinking of getting Serious Sam 4 on PS5. How did you feel about that one? I know you liked it, but I just wanted to know the full thing before I purchase. They got it on sale for $7.99. the Siberian expansion is $19.99, but I can hold off on that for a while. I know the Siberian expansion is actually better than the main game, but I figured I might as well get one or the other but I'm looking towards the former just because it's cheaper at the moment.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm thinking of getting Serious Sam 4 on PS5. How did you feel about that one? I know you liked it, but I just wanted to know the full thing before I purchase. They got it on sale for $7.99. the Siberian expansion is $19.99, but I can hold off on that for a while. I know the Siberian expansion is actually better than the main game, but I figured I might as well get one or the other but I'm looking towards the former just because it's cheaper at the moment.
I loved both of them. The main game was really good, same with Siberian. I would recommend both of them. The stages in Siberian Mayhem are a bit better, but the main game is still fantastic. I played Siberian Mayhem first cause I heard it was better then the main game, but when I went back to the main game, I still loved it and it was almost just as good, stage wise. I think the story of the main game is a bit more fun and its got a few more neat set pieces. The last boss is better in Siberian Mayhem from a mechanics standpoint, but the boss of the main game is much cooler from a concept, its just a bit janky.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I loved both of them. The main game was really good, same with Siberian. I would recommend both of them. The stages in Siberian Mayhem are a bit better, but the main game is still fantastic. I played Siberian Mayhem first cause I heard it was better then the main game, but when I went back to the main game, I still loved it and it was almost just as good, stage wise. I think the story of the main game is a bit more fun and its got a few more neat set pieces. The last boss is better in Siberian Mayhem from a mechanics standpoint, but the boss of the main game is much cooler from a concept, its just a bit janky.
Thanks for the info. I might pick this up tonight. So long as it's better than SS3, than that is good enough. I really wish Croteam would do an HD port of SS2. I know it's a sore spot for them, but the game is good. It's been a minute, and the last over-the-top shooter I played was Shadow Warrior 3. Plus, I miss Sam. I still have the Serious Sam HD Collection (360) to play on my ONE X, but I feels it's time to try the newer installment. Especially a price like that.

I went over to my brother's place and we did about 3 1/2 hours of fighting each other in Tekken 8. We were both kicking each others asses.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the info. I might pick this up tonight. So long as it's better than SS3, than that is good enough. I really wish Croteam would do an HD port of SS2. I know it's a sore spot for them, but the game is good. It's been a minute, and the last over-the-top shooter I played was Shadow Warrior 3. Plus, I miss Sam. I still have the Serious Sam HD Collection (360) to play on my ONE X, but I feels it's time to try the newer installment. Especially a price like that.

I went over to my brother's place and we did about 3 1/2 hours of fighting each other in Tekken 8. We were both kicking each others asses.
Yeah, its definitely better then 3. I liked 3 but I would consider it easily behind 4 in terms of goodness.

SS2 just had so much weird wackiness that really didn't translate. Its gameplay was decent, but for it to really work it would need to be rewritten.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
SS2 just had so much weird wackiness that really didn't translate.
A lot of it's hit or miss. Blame that one the publisher Croteam were with at the time. They demanded everything be wacky and have a story. It's a good thing all the cut-scenes are skippable.

Its gameplay was decent, but for it to really work it would need to be rewritten.
Agreed to an extent. Funny Civvie11 considers SS2 better than most of them, but he has admitted to not being the biggest fan of the franchise. Second Encounter will always be the best for me.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Agreed to an extent. Funny Civvie11 considers SS2 better than most of them, but he has admitted to not being the biggest fan of the franchise. Second Encounter will always be the best for me.
Second Encounter used to be my fav. Now 4/SM gives it a good run for its money.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I've got pretty much all the steamworld games, but there is always something about them that prevents me from really getting into them. I got the furthest in Quest, but ended up dropping it for reasons I don't really understand. I just reached a point where I stopped caring.
I'm exactly halfway through the game. I know because I was getting a little tired of it and went and looked. It's good game, but I can sort of tell already it's not getting a "highly recommend" out of me. To makes matters worse Persona 3 reload just came out it's like

toystory3-andy.jpg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Worgen, I am loving Serious Sam 4. Why were people hating on this game so much again? I know when the game came out on PC it was rough and not performing well. I know a performance fine now and everything and probably started great on consoles, but people were hating on it even after everything was fixed. Especially that whole dumb not looking whole next gen excuse. I'm not excusing mediocre or bad graphics, but the character models look decent enough in the enemies have good details. But when you told that many enemies on screen there is compromise that's going to have to be made. I also don't know why people were hating on the skill tree system. I'm taking the path to dual wield everything. Right now I just got the dual pistols upgrade. The one hand at weapons are next. Right now I'm on currently missing six. These levels get long too. Just like the classics. Also, I don't get people who were saying that this game didn't feel like a Serious Sam game. Other than the first chapter, it's a Serious Sam game. The early parts always start slow, but doesn't take that long to build. Other than SS3 taking too long. SS4 does not take long to get going. Thanks again for the recommendation. The moment I finish this game, I'll get the standalone expansion next week.

Reactions: Worgen

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
@Worgen, I am loving Serious Sam 4. Why were people hating on this game so much again? I know when the game came out on PC it was rough and not performing well. I know a performance fine now and everything and probably started great on consoles, but people were hating on it even after everything was fixed. Especially that whole dumb not looking whole next gen excuse. I'm not excusing mediocre or bad graphics, but the character models look decent enough in the enemies have good details. But when you told that many enemies on screen there is compromise that's going to have to be made. I also don't know why people were hating on the skill tree system. I'm taking the path to dual wield everything. Right now I just got the dual pistols upgrade. The one hand at weapons are next. Right now I'm on currently missing six. These levels get long too. Just like the classics. Also, I don't get people who were saying that this game didn't feel like a Serious Sam game. Other than the first chapter, it's a Serious Sam game. The early parts always start slow, but doesn't take that long to build. Other than SS3 taking too long. SS4 does not take long to get going. Thanks again for the recommendation. The moment I finish this game, I'll get the standalone expansion next week.
I know right, its so damn good but it got so much hate for no reason I can see. I mean maybe it launched in a really rough state, which I think was kinda mentioned, but by the time I played it, it had really turned things around and the game is amazing. Its not the best looking game, but its not bad. I think there is some bad blood over the claim of hundreds of thousands of enemies at once, the game really only does that once and they are more of set dressing then really enemies, still impressive though. Either way, the game is awesome and one of my top 5 fps games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know right, its so damn good but it got so much hate for no reason I can see. I mean maybe it launched in a really rough state, which I think was kinda mentioned, but by the time I played it, it had really turned things around and the game is amazing. Its not the best looking game, but its not bad. I think there is some bad blood over the claim of hundreds of thousands of enemies at once, the game really only does that once and they are more of set dressing then really enemies, still impressive though. Either way, the game is awesome and one of my top 5 fps games.
Trust me, the game launched in a really bad state on PC when it first came out. But even after the patches and everything, there were still people hating on it at least until the expansion came out. Even Yahtzee got in on the heat when the game first launched. This is why I always refer games that wait until the game is properly finished then rush it out the door. I know the game had a long development cycle, so they had to meet a deadline. I didn't pay attention to the games marketing much before release. So I can't comment on that.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Trust me, the game launched in a really bad state on PC when it first came out. But even after the patches and everything, there are still people hating on it at least until the expansion came out. Even Yahtzee got in on the heat when the game first launched. This is why I always refer games that wait until the game is properly finished then rush it out the door. I know the game had a long development cycle, so they had to meet a deadline. I didn't pay attention to the games marketing much before release. So I can't comment on that.
I mean, I can understand a game getting hate for launching in a state, but that doesn't explain the ones that say stuff like the aforementioned "its not a serious sam game."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, I can understand a game getting hate for launching in a state, but that doesn't explain the ones that say stuff like the aforementioned "its not a serious sam game."
It was mainly GManLives (and his sycophants) that said it and one other reviewer I can't think of.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It was mainly GManLives (and his sycophants) that said it and one other reviewer I can't think of.
That guy is such a weaner. I remember him arguing on the Powerslave steam forums that the stupid explodie/snake shooting when you would destroy pots was good game design.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That guy is such a weaner. I remember him arguing on the Powerslave steam forums that the stupid explodie/snake shooting when you would destroy pots was good game design.
He only got worse after that. He started picking fights with people on Twitter because one guy was displaying how he detailed GTA V was with indoor environments., The person uploading video did that by shooting the people in the hospital displaying his gameplay. G-Man took offense to this, and try to act like he had the high moral ground. Pretty much everyone mocked him for it and called him out, and then he started deleting his Twitter post. People already took the screenshots, but pathetic man tried gaslighting his own audience and echo chamber. Some of them believed him of course, but most people outside of his little cult weren't buying it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
He only got worse after that. He started picking fights with people on Twitter because one guy was displaying how he detailed GTA V was with indoor environments., The person uploading video did that by shooting the people in the hospital displaying his gameplay. G-Man took offense to this, and try to act like he had the high moral ground. Pretty much everyone mocked him for it and called him out, and then he started deleting his Twitter post. People already took the screenshots, but pathetic man tried gaslighting his own audience and echo chamber. Some of them believed him of course, but most people outside of his little cult weren't buying it.
Not surprising. Seems like the internet reviewers who are "manly" are also fragile.