Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I thought you couldn't change the difficulty once you start? I remembered that and looked it up to confirm. A change they made perhaps?
That's why I just have been playing on Easy from the start this time. My goal is to just complete the damn game. I just finished a real interesting but extremely difficult (for me) sequence where you have to sort of fly around in weird gravity and the controls are different every jump.
I know there's some way to change it because I did it for that section. I normally pick normal and will adjust downwards if it feels like it's getting too painful to keep trying the same part over and over and over again and nothing seems to be working(if the option is available). The only exception for that was God of War 2 and 3 where I just picked easy from the start because i learned in GOW1 that I wasn't cut out for the normal difficulty.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Advance - The later levels have some bullshit enemy placement and traps. It's the only thing I hate about the Advance and DS games when they do this. I am on the last zone and stopping for tonight.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well, f*** Ori... again.
Turns out my controller layout was wrong this whole time and there's no way to change it in menus, so I did some youtubing to find some settings but it didn't work. It all came to ahead when I got a new ability and I just couldn't execute the required inputs to progress. So I re-learned how to play the whole game with keyboard. Then the messing I around I tried earlier with the settings kicked in so I'm back to controller, but now I gotta re-learn the whole game AGAIN. Then I get to the last area and now there's fire killing me everywhere and just.... no. Done.

Every so often I need to be reminding myself that I quit games for a reason lol

I think I'm gonna check out Yahtzee's new game, it seems nice and calm.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Started up Elden Ring second playthrough, gotta kill Mohg before the dlc. Not that it will take that long, but I also plan on doing a rebirth thing for my character and changing up my stats, gonna do a magic thing, which I never do in souls likes. I kinda beat Elden Ring with a weak build. STR with enough endurance for med armor and I mainly used axes.

Also beat Cookie Cutter, pretty good, much more combat then I'm used too from Metroidvanias, but really nice animation, but it does end with a kinda cliff hanger, like the direct story is pretty finished but its got a really direct lead into a sequel.
Apparently we also have to kill Radahn as well. Not too difficult boss ever since he was nerfed, but still kinda annoying. I had to beat him 3 different times to get all my builds ready for the DLC

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apparently we also have to kill Radahn as well. Not too difficult boss ever since he was nerfed, but still kinda annoying. I had to beat him 3 different times to get all my builds ready for the DLC
He was nerfed? Why, he was already one of the easier bosses when you knew you could just resummon your allies.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
He was nerfed? Why, he was already one of the easier bosses when you knew you could just resummon your allies.
At the launch players struggled against Radahn even with the summons, while others found ways to cheese him. I remember struggling against him as well, then realized I can just cheese with with scarlet rot. Anyways, I think he was nerfed on one of the earlier post-launch patches.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ninja Warriors Again (SFC/SNES) - Still a challenging game, even though it is easier than the remake. There.
Are some things i'm more appreciative of in the original version. You can actually get high scores in the original and your health would always refill at the start of a new stage. In the Saviors remake, If you leave a stage with half or less than half of your health. You won't get the full thing back. They got rid of scoring in the remake. And it's all time attack stuff now. I don't know why they couldn't have had a separate mode for scoring and time attack. Would have added a bit extra replay value to the remake.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
At the launch players struggled against Radahn even with the summons, while others found ways to cheese him. I remember struggling against him as well, then realized I can just cheese with with scarlet rot. Anyways, I think he was nerfed on one of the earlier post-launch patches.
I wonder if that patch went through before or after I got to Radahn. Either way I beat him with the summons.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today's demos

Luna Abyss
Touted as a first person action adventure with fluid platforming and bullet hell combat, which, yeah, pretty much covers it. The general movement, way you lock onto enemies, and open doors by shooting them with specific weapons reminds me a bit of Metroid Prime, tho this seems to be entirely linear. Also gives me minor Returnal vibes, tho with slower and much easier combat. Probably the most visually impressive game from a technical standpoint, even if I'm not a particular fan of the desaturated, almost black and white, contrasted with red look. It's a striking palette, but also kind of played out.

Metal Slug Tactics
I mean, the name says it all. Metal Slug as an isometric turnbased tactics game instead of a run & gun sidescroller. There's really not much else to say about it. It's a solid tactics game with a few minor twists on genre conventions and all the charm those classic Metal Slug sprites and sound fx bring to the table.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think he means Yathzees actual game Starstruck Vagabond, not the subject of his latest review.
Yeah.
But it does seem more like a Stardew Valley wannabe and I'm not really in the mood for that after all. At least not now, maybe later.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Luna Abyss
Touted as a first person action adventure with fluid platforming and bullet hell combat, which, yeah, pretty much covers it. The general movement, way you lock onto enemies, and open doors by shooting them with specific weapons reminds me a bit of Metroid Prime, tho this seems to be entirely linear. Also gives me minor Returnal vibes, tho with slower and much easier combat. Probably the most visually impressive game from a technical standpoint, even if I'm not a particular fan of the desaturated, almost black and white, contrasted with red look. It's a striking palette, but also kind of played out.
I just finished the demo of Luna Abyss and initially I thought it was going to be more mertoid prime also, but then I got a bit further and the lock in made more sense, even with keyboard and mouse. Luna Abyss is a first person bullet hell, you use the lockon so you can focus more on dodging when fighting something bullety. Either way, was pretty cool and it has my attention.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

I wonder if that patch went through before or after I got to Radahn. Either way I beat him with the summons.

His hurtboxes were nerfed along with a 10% damage reduction on patch 1.03 from 3/17/2022. Then on April 4th with patch 1.04 a quick update it was pretty much reversed as apparently an unintentional bug or something. So that’s pretty much the window for an *easier* Radahn.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Minishoot Adventures

A twinstick metroidvania. Played the demo and was absolutely delighted, full game purchased and ready to play.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finally did my rebirth in Elden Ring, so now I have a kinda crappy faith build and I think I totally hate it. I've never used magic in a souls game so jumping in mid newgame+ is... really dumb. I'm almost certainly going to rebirth again and maybe do more of a dex, str build, instead of full str.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Finally did my rebirth in Elden Ring, so now I have a kinda crappy faith build and I think I totally hate it. I've never used magic in a souls game so jumping in mid newgame+ is... really dumb. I'm almost certainly going to rebirth again and maybe do more of a dex, str build, instead of full str.
STR/FTH is really powerful and versatile (deletes Malenia with the Blasphemous Blade’s skill and a good talisman/spell setup), but I’m going into the dlc with a sword n bow’rd type build I started originally after experimenting with magic/incants for most of my PC playthrough. They were fun (especially as a Carian Knight) but I got tired of constantly cycling through spells. It just felt a bit too busy. Now I’m farming a shitton of different arrows since they’ll be my only range tactic besides maybe some throwing daggers here and there.

I’m one of those 62% or so on Steam that still needs to beat Mogh, but it will also get me the last Achievement for the game.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
STR/FTH is really powerful and versatile (deletes Malenia with the Blasphemous Blade’s skill and a good talisman/spell setup), but I’m going into the dlc with a sword n bow’rd type build I started originally after experimenting with magic/incants for most of my PC playthrough. They were fun (especially as a Carian Knight) but I got tired of constantly cycling through spells. It just felt a bit too busy. Now I’m farming a shitton of different arrows since they’ll be my only range tactic besides maybe some throwing daggers here and there.
I've heard its really powerful, but I never used magic in any souls game, so its a completely new experience with stats I don't understand and abilities I never use. I've always heard that magic is op since you can kinda do anything with it, but I play either heavy armor block, or light to med dodge whacking builds and I found a nice chopper I was enjoying.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I just finished Half-Life 2 for the first time. And I didn't really care for this one either.

When you review a game on Steam, it asks you simply "Would you recommend this game", and today in 2024 I can think of a 100 games that I would rather play and recommend before I even consider Half-Life 2. And even in the context of 2004, I think I would just rather play Halo 2, instead.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today's demos

500 Caliber Contractz

A 3D platformer where you're some kind of assassin with a sniper rifle where you get dropped into an open sort of N64 style sandbox level and have to find and eliminate your target. The gimmick here is that while your regular jump sucks, you're a little guy with a bigass gun, so you use the recoil to launch yourself in various directions, tho you need to touch the ground to reload and fire/launch again. Reminds me a little bit of Pseudoregalia, in that it promotes experimenting with the move set, both to progress and to discover hidden movement tech. Seems promising, even if it feels still very early in development, and lacks a lot of polish. Also kinda ugly looking, with a lot of drab grimy unfiltered textures, tho I suspect that like Cruelty Squad, this is intentional, albeit not as abrasive.

Conscript
Game where you're a French soldier trying to survive in the trenches of the Great War. Plays like a classic survival horror game, so you've got your limited supplies, limited inventory space, save rooms complete with ink ribbons, puzzles to solve, and of course purposefully slow and clunky combat. Except it uses a top down perspective like Signalis, but with the 3D models filtered to look like sprites, like Dead Cells. It also seems to completely eschew any supernatural or anachronistic elements. Everything is period appropriate, your enemies are all too human but by no means less monstrous, and the horror comes entirely from the oppressive bleakness of war.