What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finally got the get an S Rank on the Club Stage and the Manor in Final Vendetta (PS4). So that's all S ranks done. I got the kill 200 opponents in Survival Trophy as well. Managed to get 350 kills total with a combo of 391 total. The time was 19 minutes and 14 seconds.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Final Vendetta (PS4) - I finally managed to beat Ultra Difficulty. I am never doing that again!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Just rolled credits on Dead Space.

I really liked the small additions and changes that the game made.

I think I would have liked it to have been a little more difficult, though. I only died once, and that was because I ignored the nice intercom lady who said "Dont let anything explode in this room", and I let something explode in the room, which instantly killed me. Aside from that, I never died in a single combat encounter on Hard difficulty.

I was also really disappointed by the final boss. Im not sure if the mechanics have changed much since the original game, but it is still very generic as far as giant tentacle monsters go. Avoid the telegraphed tentacle attacks, shoot the glowy bits, and kill the occasional monster it summons. The Hunter miniboss that appears at multiple times during the story is way more terrifying, and aligns way more with Dead Space's gameplay. This was definitely a missed opportunity to overhaul it.

From a technical perspective, it was a bit more of a mixed bag. Performance was generally above 60 (Max, 1440p), which is great, but it was frequently shifting between 120 and 60 FPS, which made it feel less smooth than I would have liked (should probably lock the framerate next time), and there were a couple of loading stutters, too. The game did crash a couple of times, also.

Otherwise, I think this is a great Dead Space remake, great Dead Space game, and great game in general. I would recommend it to most people.

I really enjoyed my time with it, and It is definitely the definitive way to play the first game.

Curious as to where they go from here, though. Are they going to remake the original Dead Space 2, or will it be an original sequel? If they do go down the remake path, what do they do about Dead Space 3? Just interested to see what they do with this Dead Space revival, because I highly doubt that this will be the last that we see of the franchise.

Last edited:

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So I just saw this little gem, and for a moment I thought I somehow missed an entire Vanillaware game.

Turns out it's an indie game that came out a while back and finally got ported to ps4. It legit captures that Odin Sphere/Dragon's Crown essence and the art style itself looks gorgeous. Will jump all over that once I'm done with pathfinder.
Just bought that on steam for like 0.79 cents my greatest feat of highway robbery. Hour in and I am liking the feel despite showing its budget. Might change since its an rpg so the mechanics may open up more.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
What chapter are you on by any chance?

I'll maybe play some DMC3 on Switch later tonight. After some SOR4 and Final Vendetta.
12, I think?
I'm at the inevitable point in the game where now it's just swarms and swarms of enemies and getting annoying. But I knew that would happen because that's how such games work. This is where my approach to playing it slowly works for me. I heard Frost and Yahtzee I think talking about how one can play it in an afternoon and, lol, no not me, the visual stimuli gets too much.

There's this weird thing now where sometimes R2 sort of doesn't work? I don't know if that is some game mechanic thing I missed or it's my controller. *shrugs*

Anyway I plan on continuing tomorrow, I should have a nice chunk of spare time and no commute. If the end of the game isn't horrifically more tedious than the rest I may even finish it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
12, I think?
I'm at the inevitable point in the game where now it's just swarms and swarms of enemies and getting annoying. But I knew that would happen because that's how such games work. This is where my approach to playing it slowly works for me. I heard Frost and Yahtzee I think talking about how one can play it in an afternoon and, lol, no not me, the visual stimuli gets too much.

There's this weird thing now where sometimes R2 sort of doesn't work? I don't know if that is some game mechanic thing I missed or it's my controller. *shrugs*

Anyway I plan on continuing tomorrow, I should have a nice chunk of spare time and no commute. If the end of the game isn't horrifically more tedious than the rest I may even finish it.
So you got about four more chapters to go. I don't know about your R2 problem. I've never had that happen to me at least. Nor do I know about anybody else having the same problem. You have amethyst on or off by any chance? That might have something to do with it, but I don't know. I think by the time you get the chapter 13 or 14, you'll get one more new enemy type, and after that this is dealing with different mob types.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Playing more Zero Time Dilemma. Begrudgingly.

I've finished off Q-team's available fragments. One of which were illuminating: I ended up in a Mexican stand-off between Eric, Mira and Q, with me controlling who Q shoots. 5 other people were dead so if only one dropped dead the rest would be able to flee. I first tried shooting Eric, since in another timeline he shot me for allegedly have killed Mira. Eric died happy watching at his girlfriend Mira. Mira then revealed that she never loved him, never having understood such emotions. She then proceeded to cut out his heart while saying she can only see emotions by studying their hearts and she knows that because that's something she did to strangers in the park before arriving at this facility. She then shrieked out in joy when she got to the heart, since she realized he truly loved her.

In other words we have a mass killer on our hands, and possibly a sociopath. Really game? Sociopaths are the lazy way out in terms of writing since these are people that you are not meant to relate to since they are unable themselves, they are only really useful as a plot device. And Eric, as stupid and irrational as he was, knowing the woman he loved did not reciprocate his emotions, I honestly felt sorry for him.

Q and Mira escaped in that ending; I thought Q really should've said something about the whole "I murdered people outside of here." even if the response would've been "Well you just killed Eric, so welcome to the club.".

In the alternative ending where I shot Mira instead, Eric jumped in and took the arrow... to the heart. Mira got angry at the heart being destroyed and shot Q, into a Game Over ending.

I then starting playing the C-teams; so far I dislike that Junpei has gotten so cynical but I like Carlos; he seems like a real swell guy.

I encountered a puzzle I want to discuss, since it is a bit illustrative of a flaw of the game: so far I don't think there has been any puzzle that has made me scratch my head. It has mostly been a matter of "Once every piece is in place it's just a matter of doing what's required." Although there was a puzzle which involved rotating sections of the room itself and afterwards a numbers puzzle in the same room that I enjoyed.

In today's session I however encountered another puzzle, that was part of the game's narrative(here reformulated to prevent spoilers): you have 8 beakers with liquids, one of which contains silver ions, you must identify which one that is. To help you you have three flasks with a piece of solid copper inside of it that you cannot open, you can only drip liquid into the flasks. You know that once you shake a flask containing solid copper and silver ions the copper will turn to ions and the silver will turn solid, thereby letting you identify whether a liquid contains silver ions. Assuming the flasks cannot be reused once shaken (because let's say a tiger immediately comes in and attacks you if you try to use the same flask again) how would you go about to identify the sample with the silver ions?

This is the sort of puzzle that I think I've encountered in a logic puzzle book at one point and I would've enjoyed pulling a pen and paper out to figure out the solution. You know how the game does it though? One character says: "Do this!", presents the strategy and once the strategy is tried the game asks you "Given this result, which sample has silver ions?". Which I thought was incredibly obvious and I was annoyed that I didn't get to solve this fun puzzle.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Decided I'm finally going to take a break of about a month or so from playing Runescape in order to focus on getting some other games done. The big one is God of War 4, since I got Ragnarok as a Christmas present and I want to be able to fully enjoy it. Since I switched up from a PS4 to a 5, though, I didn't manage to keep my save files and I have to start over; not that I mind, since the opening of GoW4 is one of my favorite first 'levels' in any game. Other than that, I've also started playing Return of the Obra Dinn, another game that I got as a Christmas gift. It's definitely interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm entirely up to it yet. Either I'm missing something, or I've already run out of bodies to poke for information.

Anyway, I might end up playing some other stuff too, but for the time being that's what my focus will likely be on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I went over to my brother's to play Hi-Fi Rush. Awesome game. Just simply awesome 😎...

He already beat the first stage a few nights ago, and I watched him beat the second stage when I got over to his place. I did the third stage for him and unlocked some killer moves. For those that have a Series S/X, PC, or Steam Deck, you all need to get this game right now. Right the hell now. Everything in this game has a rhythm to it. EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Playing more Zero Time Dilemma. Begrudgingly.

I've finished off Q-team's available fragments. One of which were illuminating: I ended up in a Mexican stand-off between Eric, Mira and Q, with me controlling who Q shoots. 5 other people were dead so if only one dropped dead the rest would be able to flee. I first tried shooting Eric, since in another timeline he shot me for allegedly have killed Mira. Eric died happy watching at his girlfriend Mira. Mira then revealed that she never loved him, never having understood such emotions. She then proceeded to cut out his heart while saying she can only see emotions by studying their hearts and she knows that because that's something she did to strangers in the park before arriving at this facility. She then shrieked out in joy when she got to the heart, since she realized he truly loved her.

In other words we have a mass killer on our hands, and possibly a sociopath. Really game? Sociopaths are the lazy way out in terms of writing since these are people that you are not meant to relate to since they are unable themselves, they are only really useful as a plot device. And Eric, as stupid and irrational as he was, knowing the woman he loved did not reciprocate his emotions, I honestly felt sorry for him.

Q and Mira escaped in that ending; I thought Q really should've said something about the whole "I murdered people outside of here." even if the response would've been "Well you just killed Eric, so welcome to the club.".

In the alternative ending where I shot Mira instead, Eric jumped in and took the arrow... to the heart. Mira got angry at the heart being destroyed and shot Q, into a Game Over ending.

I then starting playing the C-teams; so far I dislike that Junpei has gotten so cynical but I like Carlos; he seems like a real swell guy.

I encountered a puzzle I want to discuss, since it is a bit illustrative: so far I don't think there has been any puzzle that has made me scratch my head. It has mostly been a matter of "Once every piece is in place it's just a matter of doing what's required." Although there was a puzzle which involved rotating sections of the room itself and afterwards a numbers puzzle in the same room that I enjoyed.

In today's session I however encountered another puzzle, that was part of the game's narrative(reformulated to prevent spoilers): you have 8 beakers with liquids, one of which contains silver ions, you must identify which one that is. To help you you have three flasks with a piece of copper inside of it that you cannot open, you can only drip liquid into the flasks. You know that once you shake a flask containing copper and silver ions the copper will turn to ions and the silver will turn solid, thereby letting you identify whether a liquid contains silver ions. Assuming the flasks cannot be reused once shaken (because let's say a tiger immediately comes in and attacks you if you try to use the same flask again) how would you go about to identify the sample with the silver ions?

This is the sort of puzzle that I think I've encountered in a logic puzzle book at one point and I would've enjoyed pulling a pen and paper out to figure out the solution. You know how the game does it though? One character says: "Do this!", presents the strategy and once the strategy is tried the game asks you "Given this result, which sample has silver ions?". Which I thought was incredibly obvious and I was annoyed that I didn't get to solve this fun puzzle.
That's pretty much the cardinal sin of puzzle games, always incredibly annoying.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Just bought that on steam for like 0.79 cents my greatest feat of highway robbery. Hour in and I am liking the feel despite showing its budget. Might change since its an rpg so the mechanics may open up more.
Damn, and here I thought it being 10 bucks on ps4 was cheap lol.

Glad you're enjoying it though, been a while since I played a game with that look, 13 sentinels was already like 2 years ago. Man that was a great one too, here's hoping vanillaware is gonna release something else sooner than later.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Finished Spider-man Miles Morales today.

Playing this game felt like going to your favorite restaurant, ordering your favorite dish, only to find that they've started using lower quality ingredients all the while increasing their prices. And also you arrived a little before closing time so everything is a little undercooked.

It was still a tasty meal, just nothing compared to what you've had before.

That's the biggest problem with Miles Morales for me. In any other context, this would be an astounding game. But unfortunately it has to be compared to what came before.

In terms of gameplay, there is essentially no value added. Miles' bioelectrical powers feel cheap, and feel at odds with with how seamless the rest of the combat is. I don't like feeling that I'm pressing a button to watch a cutscene play out. Which is a shame, because the game absolutely insists you use it. Not using it makes the game incredibly hard, using it makes it laughably easy. Venom is inextricably linked to the Underground. Without the other, individually they have no real purpose (besides making your screen a visual cluster fuck). Camouflage makes an already OP stealth system even more OP, so nothing worth writing home about. The biggest annoyance however is that the gameplay doesn't seem as fine tuned. I found myself getting snagged on the environment while web slinging, and enemy AI is far too inconsistent. Performance issues and plentiful bugs are pretty insulting considering that they basically copy and pasted the original game and was released years ago.

In terms of story and characters, big ol meh. Miles teeters between being a sickeningly cheery naive nerd and a genuinely sympathetic young man finding his way in the world. This is mostly due to the uneven dialogue and therefore voice acting he receives. The biggest problem however is that he doesn't even come close to being as good a character as Miles in Into the Spider-verse. Good lord do they try, but they never succeed. Watching PlayStation Miles try to do the "walk with headphones while interacting with New Yorkers" had me reaching for a skip button. Spider-verse does almost everything thing else better, except for representing Miles' Puerto Rican heritage. Phin is the classic villain from Spider-Man's personal life, but man is she a fucking bore. For a genius who can come up with insane technology, she sure is dumb. A complete and utter downgrade from Doc Ock. Writing is pretty down across the board, nothing stood out to me besides all the bad stuff.

I think I would have gone much easier on this game if it hadn't cost so damn much. This was the PS4 version too, and yet cost as much as a whole ass game.

I am honestly worried about what Miles will have to do in Spider-man 2. The over reliance on his powers has me wondering exactly what the point of having him as another playable character will be. Being Peter Parker is more fun in every way. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, because that's how good I thought the first game was. I hope they knock it out of the park.

But goddamn it, why did they change the sound effect for when you spring off after a web zip??? I loved that feeling.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finished Spider-man Miles Morales today.

Playing this game felt like going to your favorite restaurant, ordering your favorite dish, only to find that they've started using lower quality ingredients all the while increasing their prices. And also you arrived a little before closing time so everything is a little undercooked.

It was still a tasty meal, just nothing compared to what you've had before.

That's the biggest problem with Miles Morales for me. In any other context, this would be an astounding game. But unfortunately it has to be compared to what came before.

In terms of gameplay, there is essentially no value added. Miles' bioelectrical powers feel cheap, and feel at odds with with how seamless the rest of the combat is. I don't like feeling that I'm pressing a button to watch a cutscene play out. Which is a shame, because the game absolutely insists you use it. Not using it makes the game incredibly hard, using it makes it laughably easy. Venom is inextricably linked to the Underground. Without the other, individually they have no real purpose (besides making your screen a visual cluster fuck). Camouflage makes an already OP stealth system even more OP, so nothing worth writing home about. The biggest annoyance however is that the gameplay doesn't seem as fine tuned. I found myself getting snagged on the environment while web slinging, and enemy AI is far too inconsistent. Performance issues and plentiful bugs are pretty insulting considering that they basically copy and pasted the original game and was released years ago.

In terms of story and characters, big ol meh. Miles teeters between being a sickeningly cheery naive nerd and a genuinely sympathetic young man finding his way in the world. This is mostly due to the uneven dialogue and therefore voice acting he receives. The biggest problem however is that he doesn't even come close to being as good a character as Miles in Into the Spider-verse. Good lord do they try, but they never succeed. Watching PlayStation Miles try to do the "walk with headphones while interacting with New Yorkers" had me reaching for a skip button. Spider-verse does almost everything thing else better, except for representing Miles' Puerto Rican heritage. Phin is the classic villain from Spider-Man's personal life, but man is she a fucking bore. For a genius who can come up with insane technology, she sure is dumb. A complete and utter downgrade from Doc Ock. Writing is pretty down across the board, nothing stood out to me besides all the bad stuff.

I think I would have gone much easier on this game if it hadn't cost so damn much. This was the PS4 version too, and yet cost as much as a whole ass game.

I am honestly worried about what Miles will have to do in Spider-man 2. The over reliance on his powers has me wondering exactly what the point of having him as another playable character will be. Being Peter Parker is more fun in every way. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, because that's how good I thought the first game was. I hope they knock it out of the park.

But goddamn it, why did they change the sound effect for when you spring off after a web zip??? I loved that feeling.
While my opinion about Miles' character isn't as harsh as yours, I agree with much of what you say in terms of gameplay. It's why I'm not as excited for Spiderman 2 as I might have been. I mean, sure I'll buy and play it, but maybe not right away.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Still plugging away at the Wind Waker.

Still enjoying it though I'm starting to see what people have said about dev cycle issues and parts of the game being padded. Notably, after the tower of the gods and getting the master sword(Yay!) and going to rescue the kidnapped kids(yay), you find out you have to power the sword up(boo!). Unfortunately, the process of powering the sword up requires:

-Going to an island marked on your map
-Realizing you can't actually get into the dungeon because there's an obstacle barring the path
-Being told by a fish to go to another island and pick up a certain item.
-Going to that island several map squares away and realizing(if you haven't already got them) that you need to get the fire/ice arrows.
-Going to get the fire and ice arrows if you havn't got them yet.
-Coming back to the island and traversing a mini dungeon in about 5 minutes before the fire recommences or the ice refreezes to get the item you need.
-Going back to the dungeon, getting past the obstacle with the new item you just got, realizing there's a big door with a long song on it.
-Playing the song and being told you need someone to play it with you(with a specific instrument).
-Going to one of the islands you've visited before and listening for the sound of said instrument. This person is always on the other side of the world map from where you are.
-Following the sound to the character playing said instrument and playing the song you found on the door for them, making them realize they're the reincarnation of a species from OoT or something like that.
-Going back to the island where you learned the song with the character and playing the song to open the door.
-ONLY THEN can you actually start the dungeon, which is full size and will probably take an hour or two depending on how good you are at solving puzzles. Also you have to use the wind waker song of control to make them do stuff to progress. Also sometimes they get locked in a cage and you have to go back and free them to progress.

One you've done all of those, completed the dungeon, powered up the master sword and gotten the heart container, you have to do it all over again with the other dungeon. Look, I get what they were trying to do here and that they felt the game needed to be longer to give people their money's worth in terms of time spent and the teleport song makes it a lot faster(though you need to keep playing the song and occasionally change wind direction) but god fucking damn it feels like it's over complicated. The fact you need to cross the map several fucking times per dungeon by design is just obnoxious and I wish they'd thought of some other solution for this. The dungeons aren't bad at all, but the process of just getting into one is a fucking pain.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well I reached the inevitable place in Evil West where I drop the difficulty down to easy mode because the combat goes from "fun challenging" to "bullshit." And with this particular late-game boss fight, they managed to perfectly combine every single pet peeve about how modern action games stop me from finishing a game:

- All of a sudden dramatic increase in how much damage the enemy does and how much health it has. All of a sudden a simple little gun shot takes half my health, while one of mine does practically nothing. Ok.
- Relying on attacks coming from off screen. This has been an escalating problem as the game progresses but in the third phase of this boss fight (oh did I not mention it's a THREE PHASE FIGHT), the attacks are all around in the air and ground so it's impossible to know what's coming, except for these little arrow things which takes away the sense of combat at all. I mean, I hate this- I'm supposed to ignore that actual enemy and rely on like a tutorial gimmick... but also there's like 5 of them so it's both hand-holdy and impossible at the same time.
- There's no chance to re-spec your already mostly useless skill tree anyway so why is any of this crap even in the game- meaning, I can't try different perks/skills.
- By this point in the game I have like 10 different weapons. But only two of them are actually practical because everything is flying around so fast I can't even use the cool ones.

The boss is WIlliam Retner by the way for those who've played. I managed to get this far on Normal but as soon as I saw my guy doing like no damage and him two-shotting me, I knew that's as far as I'm going without cheating.

Oh and the R2 struggle I mentioned? Yeah it's definitely the game. I think this is how it's using haptics to tell me I'm out of bullets or stuck in some goo or something.

Also I'm starting to hit mad bugs- like interactions not being prompted, and I've had to restart the game and re-do entire fights I already won.

Sad thing is I kind of expected this. There are 16 chapters in the game and like the first 10 or so were awesome, the next couple were ok and now it's like, ugh, I wanna be done.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well I reached the inevitable place in Evil West where I drop the difficulty down to easy mode because the combat goes from "fun challenging" to "bullshit." And with this particular late-game boss fight, they managed to perfectly combine every single pet peeve about how modern action games stop me from finishing a game:

- All of a sudden dramatic increase in how much damage the enemy does and how much health it has. All of a sudden a simple little gun shot takes half my health, while one of mine does practically nothing. Ok.
- Relying on attacks coming from off screen. This has been an escalating problem as the game progresses but in the third phase of this boss fight (oh did I not mention it's a THREE PHASE FIGHT), the attacks are all around in the air and ground so it's impossible to know what's coming, except for these little arrow things which takes away the sense of combat at all. I mean, I hate this- I'm supposed to ignore that actual enemy and rely on like a tutorial gimmick... but also there's like 5 of them so it's both hand-holdy and impossible at the same time.
- There's no chance to re-spec your already mostly useless skill tree anyway so why is any of this crap even in the game- meaning, I can't try different perks/skills.
- By this point in the game I have like 10 different weapons. But only two of them are actually practical because everything is flying around so fast I can't even use the cool ones.

The boss is WIlliam Retner by the way for those who've played. I managed to get this far on Normal but as soon as I saw my guy doing like no damage and him two-shotting me, I knew that's as far as I'm going without cheating.

Oh and the R2 struggle I mentioned? Yeah it's definitely the game. I think this is how it's using haptics to tell me I'm out of bullets or stuck in some goo or something.

Also I'm starting to hit mad bugs- like interactions not being prompted, and I've had to restart the game and re-do entire fights I already won.

Sad thing is I kind of expected this. There are 16 chapters in the game and like the first 10 or so were awesome, the next couple were ok and now it's like, ugh, I wanna be done.
Yeah, the next to last boss can be a real pain. I was able to beat it on normal, but I'm so lucky I had nearly all my weapons upgraded to have electrical attacks. The electrical tornado grenades really help during the second and third phase. Took me about three tries. At least you get checkpoints. The R2 problem must be PS5 specific, because I had none of that happened on the PS4 version.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
While my opinion about Miles' character isn't as harsh as yours, I agree with much of what you say in terms of gameplay. It's why I'm not as excited for Spiderman 2 as I might have been. I mean, sure I'll buy and play it, but maybe not right away.
Yeah I will say that I'm being a little too harsh on Miles. He's not so different from Peter, but it felt like Peter had about 3x more time for us to warm up to him. Peter also had a handful of scenes that hit HARD, whereas the closest Miles had was a side mission involving his decreased dad. Hopefully with time and less rushed writing, he'll be a much better character.

Also sidenote, but the sequel is going to be hella confusing with the character Venom and Miles' Venom powers.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Still plugging away at the Wind Waker.

Still enjoying it though I'm starting to see what people have said about dev cycle issues and parts of the game being padded. Notably, after the tower of the gods and getting the master sword(Yay!) and going to rescue the kidnapped kids(yay), you find out you have to power the sword up(boo!). Unfortunately, the process of powering the sword up requires:

-Going to an island marked on your map
-Realizing you can't actually get into the dungeon because there's an obstacle barring the path
-Being told by a fish to go to another island and pick up a certain item.
-Going to that island several map squares away and realizing(if you haven't already got them) that you need to get the fire/ice arrows.
-Going to get the fire and ice arrows if you havn't got them yet.
-Coming back to the island and traversing a mini dungeon in about 5 minutes before the fire recommences or the ice refreezes to get the item you need.
-Going back to the dungeon, getting past the obstacle with the new item you just got, realizing there's a big door with a long song on it.
-Playing the song and being told you need someone to play it with you(with a specific instrument).
-Going to one of the islands you've visited before and listening for the sound of said instrument. This person is always on the other side of the world map from where you are.
-Following the sound to the character playing said instrument and playing the song you found on the door for them, making them realize they're the reincarnation of a species from OoT or something like that.
-Going back to the island where you learned the song with the character and playing the song to open the door.
-ONLY THEN can you actually start the dungeon, which is full size and will probably take an hour or two depending on how good you are at solving puzzles. Also you have to use the wind waker song of control to make them do stuff to progress. Also sometimes they get locked in a cage and you have to go back and free them to progress.

One you've done all of those, completed the dungeon, powered up the master sword and gotten the heart container, you have to do it all over again with the other dungeon. Look, I get what they were trying to do here and that they felt the game needed to be longer to give people their money's worth in terms of time spent and the teleport song makes it a lot faster(though you need to keep playing the song and occasionally change wind direction) but god fucking damn it feels like it's over complicated. The fact you need to cross the map several fucking times per dungeon by design is just obnoxious and I wish they'd thought of some other solution for this. The dungeons aren't bad at all, but the process of just getting into one is a fucking pain.
You think that's bad try going for 100% completion of the figurine collection. The process is as follows:
-take photos of 3 characters/monsters
-warp close to the guy who makes the figurines and go to him and give him the photos
-play the song of passing twice so he can complete the figurines
-repeat for all 134 figurines in the game and pray to god you don't screw up the photo on any of the one time enemies that you can never encounter again (I missed 1).

Makes you really appreciate how inferior the wind waker instrument is compared to the ocarina from OoT. You have to slowly play the song at the required tempo, and then listen to the game slowly play it back to you again. All that and you can't even just screw around and play random songs on it, using it as an actual instrument like you could with the ocarina. It's actually weird just how right Nintendo got the ocarina, and how wrong they got every other Zelda instrument since.

Reactions: Dalisclock