What are you currently playing?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Been playing Need For Speed Unbound now that I have a PC to play it on, and I got it on sale for $14. It's been an absolute blast.
I finished replaying NFS Heat a few weeks ago and that game is so, soooooo anemic by comparison and is full of little design decisions I didn't notice the first time I played it that were infuriating the second time around. I can agree Unbound's music choices are kind of ass and the dialogue is a little bit too "how do you do fellow kids?" at times but man, after the absolute blandfest of dialogue Heat had, it's been so much more fun. It's gotten some laughs out of me. Unbound has been a breath of fresh air by comparison in so many ways.
I'm surprised at the amount of hate it gets by some people, especially towards the flashy and fancy visual effects. It's like people stopped liking fun. I'd say it's not worth full price, but it's worth more than what I paid for sure

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Been playing Need For Speed Unbound now that I have a PC to play it on, and I got it on sale for $14. It's been an absolute blast.
How does it compare to Forza horizon 5?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Still occasionally losing my goddamn mind over Mario Golf 64. Think I'm finally starting to get my eye in, but how this game can possibly tell me "your feather-touch putt from one foot away stopped one inch short of the hole, go fuck yourself" with a straight face, I'll never know...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
How does it compare to Forza horizon 5?
Haven't played 5, but I did play 4. 4 is the more tight game in terms of its handling model and variety of races, but I know I had more laughs and more high stakes fun with Unbound

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm surprised at the amount of hate it gets by some people, especially towards the flashy and fancy visual effects. It's like people stopped liking fun.
  1. That's what happens when you're stuck with realistic or semi realistic Racer games four over a decade without many AAA goofy and fun racers.
  2. Need for Speed Nitro is the better version of Unbound. I Hope you have a Wii or Wii U on hand.
I decided to give Final Fight 2 a try on expert difficulty.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I tend to refer to Malekith as a sword wielding monkey on crack because that's what it feels like I'm fighting. I know he's a big wolf dude, shuddup. Yeah, he feels like one of the most difficult bosses in the game by far.
^Accurate.

But teeth-gnashing difficulty aside, lore-wise, he's probably my favorite boss. He reminds me of Artorias from DS1, i.e.: a tragic figure who's more victim than villain who even at their worst is an absolute badass.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
How the fuckity fuck is Hades 2 out already???
Aw man, still haven't finished "Transistor"... I might have a problem with buying games and never finishing them...

I have been wasting time with "World of Warships" the last few weeks instead of playing a "real" game. Stopped playing "Manor Lords" (Too unfinished and too "micromanagy" after a while. Also stopped playing Helldivers 2 (I had a few bad games, and then felt i wasn't good enough to play on the higher difficulties and contribute enough - then played a few solo levels and lost my enjoyment)

Also i found myself just looking at my GOG/Steam lists, trying to think of a game to install and not coming up with anything.

Reactions: Dalisclock
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I tend to refer to Malekith as a sword wielding monkey on crack because that's what it feels like I'm fighting. I know he's a big wolf dude, shuddup. Yeah, he feels like one of the most difficult bosses in the game by far.

^Accurate.

But teeth-gnashing difficulty aside, lore-wise, he's probably my favorite boss. He reminds me of Artorias from DS1, i.e.: a tragic figure who's more victim than villain who even at their worst is an absolute badass.
Yeah thinking about it, the required bosses have a pretty upwards trajectory in terms of difficulty overall. Optional is all over the place in extremes, which makes sense. Malenia is one of those that is possible to cheese quickly with certain ashes or spells at a high enough level, or otherwise you’ll spend hours learning her to do it the hard way.

Speaking of Artorias/Maliketh similarities though, much agreed as they even have that same kinda down low “Watch out now because I’m a huge badass” pose in their cinematics. I struggled more with Artorias, but alas he’s a dlc boss. Although for me the notorious O&S combo wasn’t nearly as bad as a lot of people say either. Manus was another notoriously difficult boss IIRC but the Artorias Greatshield helped me beat him in one go, barely. Meanwhile I remember spending about three hours leveling before feeling strong enough to beat Gaping Dragon after dozens of failed attempts.

That’s the funny thing about FROM games. Everyone’s worst/best can be mean different things. In ER’s case it seems like there’s always something that feels impossible unless you switch your gear up. Those Crystalians without strike damage suck, and the bloody Revenants without the Heal trick can always fuck off. Crucible Knights by themselves are no joke, but together it felt like they’d wipe the floor with O&S.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've been walking past my Xbox all morning, avoiding it like it was the results to my test for a terminal illness in a sealed envelope. Finally grew some balls and went for another run at Maliketh in Elden Ring, and holy shit on a Triscuit, I beat him FIRST TRY! (Well, "first try TODAY," anyway; probably 6 or so if we're counting yesterday's failures.) Nothing went differently this time insofar as my level of skill or learning, just some real A+ RNG, and some skillful running and hiding behind pillars while Tiche pulled aggro and kept up whatever status she inflicts that caused Maliketh's health to slowly tick down pretty constantly. Matter of fact, it was his final leap AWAY from Tiche that incidentally landed him close to me where I panicked and hit an R1 to finish him off.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Against all my better judgement I went and bought Balatro.

I've racked up 10,6 hours over the last 24 hours.

Yep, it's one of those. It's easily one of the smoothest, most tightly designed roguelikes ever. It literally took only seconds to install, but I could genuinely play it around the clock. It's extremely fast, intuitive, yet complexity and options abound. Despite its flash-game level graphics it has all the right effects in the right places to hit the dopamine drip. Getting that right synergy to carry you through the game, or getting that uber-mega combo with points racking up is like the primordial soup of videogames. It's basically perfect. Which is why I just uninstalled it. I simply can't have this in my life right now. I just went through this last year with Total Warhammer 2, and don't want to go through it again when I've got responsibilities to uphold.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I've been walking past my Xbox all morning, avoiding it like it was the results to my test for a terminal illness in a sealed envelope. Finally grew some balls and went for another run at Maliketh in Elden Ring, and holy shit on a Triscuit, I beat him FIRST TRY! (Well, "first try TODAY," anyway; probably 6 or so if we're counting yesterday's failures.) Nothing went differently this time insofar as my level of skill or learning, just some real A+ RNG, and some skillful running and hiding behind pillars while Tiche pulled aggro and kept up whatever status she inflicts that caused Maliketh's health to slowly tick down pretty constantly. Matter of fact, it was his final leap AWAY from Tiche that incidentally landed him close to me where I panicked and hit an R1 to finish him off.
She gave him a taste of his own medicine!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Congratulations.
And I really respect your slow patient pace for this game. I burned through it and burnt out on all Souls games.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Against all my better judgement I went and bought Balatro.

I've racked up 10,6 hours over the last 24 hours.

Yep, it's one of those. It's easily one of the smoothest, most tightly designed roguelikes ever. It literally took only seconds to install, but I could genuinely play it around the clock. It's extremely fast, intuitive, yet complexity and options abound. Despite its flash-game level graphics it has all the right effects in the right places to hit the dopamine drip. Getting that right synergy to carry you through the game, or getting that uber-mega combo with points racking up is like the primordial soup of videogames. It's basically perfect. Which is why I just uninstalled it. I simply can't have this in my life right now. I just went through this last year with Total Warhammer 2, and don't want to go through it again when I've got responsibilities to uphold.
Heh... I was thinking of trying this one a game because I been mostly listening to music for recreation and I like to have something to play that doesn't require sound (obviously).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Congratulations.
And I really respect your slow patient pace for this game. I burned through it and burnt out on all Souls games.
I appreciate the kind words, but I'm not sure if I'd call it "patience." I really don't have a lot of time to play, maybe an hour or two every couple of days, so my +250 hours play time is really padded with idle time when I'd boot up my Xbox, start the game, and sit at a grace for hours while I worked only, playing for like 5-10 minutes at a time during breaks, or watched videos on how to get over the next hurdle. I'd say you could shave a solid 100 hours off if not more.

I think my patience has simply been the fact that with few exceptions, I've thus far not spent any significant amount of time beating my head against a single boss for long, single stretches of time. Fire Giant was probably the closest I've come to burnout. He took me a couple of weeks of intermittent attempts, probably 15-20 tries in total, but spread out across weeks; it wasn't like I was cramming in 15-20 tries in one sitting. Maliketh took me two calendar days, but maybe 45 minutes of actual playing.

So yeah, "patience" is generous of you; it's more me being forced to take my sweet time, and never [yet] getting to the point that I bite through my own tongue because hours of any single given day were proven fruitless to discourage me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then you are ready for Vergil in DMC5 on DMD, NO DAMAGE, NO DEATH, ROYAL GUARD ONLY!!! Talk to me when you are ready.