What? Are you fucking kidding me? New York Times posts an article advocating against free speech.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The whole incel thing is basically the male version of body image problems that women go through.
Well it's hardly a new thing, the idea that *gasp* women have preferred physical characteristics they look for in a man they want to bang. I wouldn't call it an "incel thing" so much as just telling the incel crowd "good job catching up to the rest of the species, yes, appearance matters when talking about appearance based attraction" :D

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, I thought it was some weird ass incel term for "you're doomed to not get laid and pass on your genes" or whatever, because genetics or whatnot.
They're doomed to not pass on their genes because they were awful at relating to other human beings and instead of learning to be sociable, became a bunch of incredibly toxic jerks.

If anything, that's Darwin Awards material. Except that because there's a whole load of them every generation (even if they didn't have name until recently), it's almost certainly nurture, not nature.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
They're doomed to not pass on their genes because they were awful at relating to other human beings and instead of learning to be sociable, became a bunch of incredibly toxic jerks.

If anything, that's Darwin Awards material. Except that because there's a whole load of them every generation (even if they didn't have name until recently), it's almost certainly nurture, not nature.
*shrugs* Probably, though I'm sure at least some of them are probably not physically attractive. Sorry, but, physical attraction is important to sex, and not everyone looks good to other people. I just don't really worry about it much. It's impossible for any species to have 100% procreation. Sorry, not all of us will have kids for a multitude of reasons. For me, it's not that I don't have sex, I've had plenty over my life, it's that I don't WANT children, and never have. I like kids just fine, and I'm very good with them, I just don't want my own children.

I mean they've done a significant number of studies that do suggest there are certain features, and body structures, that are more appealing to people, when specifically asked to rate what they find attractive. That would mean that there are other traits, that are on the other end of that. I just find it funny that the incels are talking about this stuff like it's some kind of new revelation I guess. Yes, people who look like Brad Pitt or Zendaya, are more likely to get laid than people who look like Homer Simpson. Other breaking news, water is wet.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The whole incel thing is basically the male version of body image problems that women go through.
Well, that plus the response to join a weird and hateful ideology.

If they were just going on fad diets or getting surgery done, they'd be pitiable, but not a danger to others.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Disagree. It's... a lot more twisted. It puts blame on others for not wanting to date them. It is way more about what they want others to give them.

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
And? You are still in QAnon territory here with your evidence of a larger conspiracy. That isn't evidence of anything happening at all.
Conspiracy theory is not even needed. Much of U.S. media is owned by only a few, and the same applies to social media platforms. These few are among the richest, and gain from a combination of neoliberalism and neoconservatism that has been promoted by both political parties since the Reagan administration.

That's why the same media promote narratives which support these two policies, and question free speech which challenges them. That's also why they are counting on Biden to win.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I was a libertarian at the time and had faith in these kinds of platforms. It crushed my spirit.
I think it crushed a LOT of Libertarians. I don't know if I've heard government intervention coming out of their mouths until now.

It's incredible how all side of politics hates social media. Alt-Righters to Communists. Centrists to Liberals. Libertarians to Anarchist.... And we still cant do anything about it

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I think it crushed a LOT of Libertarians. I don't know if I've heard government intervention coming out of their mouths until now.

It's incredible how all side of politics hates social media. Alt-Righters to Communists. Centrists to Liberals. Libertarians to Anarchist.... And we still cant do anything about it
I don't engage in social media myself. Except for this relic of the early 2000s, mind you.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Conspiracy theory is not even needed. Much of U.S. media is owned by only a few, and the same applies to social media platforms. These few are among the richest, and gain from a combination of neoliberalism and neoconservatism that has been promoted by both political parties since the Reagan administration.

That's why the same media promote narratives which support these two policies, and question free speech which challenges them. That's also why they are counting on Biden to win.
I can't tell if the silence on the Biden laptop is proof of this or that this whole thing is a meme farted out by Gulliani.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

We can but it doesn't solve the issue.

[insert Metal Gear Solid 2 AI conversation here about everyone separating into their own little bubbles]

To an extent it's already happened on twitter based on who follows who and people passing round blocklistsand shaming people for who they follow etc.

I read something the other day that sort of explains part of the issue.

It's not about positions but defining an enemy as such. People don't look at ideas but who said ideas are coming from now. It's about winning absolute and dominating now political margins are getting closer and people are pushing harder but seeing little change so getting annoyed as such.

Somewhat.

The thing is some of that is also conflated with MGTOW too which from my limited understanding is kind of people rejecting the present dating scene and expectations etc to focus on personal growth.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't engage in social media myself. Except for this relic of the early 2000s, mind you.
Pretty much the same here. I do use Facebook, but only to keep in touch with some people who I might otherwise lose contact with through less convenient systems.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The thing is some of that is also conflated with MGTOW too which from my limited understanding is kind of people rejecting the present dating scene and expectations etc to focus on personal growth.
Maybe.

From what I've heard from people who have looked on their forums, for all that they are supposed to be getting on with a womanless life, many spend a truly staggering amount of time online criticising and complaining about women. Almost like they haven't truly moved on at all... I think if you really get over something, it becomes a non-issue. There may well be a ghost of pain and bitterness, but mostly you just don't think about it much and it's not a big deal when you do.

Still, I don't want to be too unkind, because I approve of the sentiment of simply walking away and getting on with something else. It is infinitely more constructive for everyone than a campaign of impotent rage and hate.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Maybe.

From what I've heard from people who have looked on their forums, for all that they are supposed to be getting on with a womanless life, many spend a truly staggering amount of time online criticising and complaining about women. Almost like they haven't truly moved on at all... I think if you really get over something, it becomes a non-issue. There may well be a ghost of pain and bitterness, but mostly you just don't think about it much and it's not a big deal when you do.

Still, I don't want to be too unkind, because I approve of the sentiment of simply walking away and getting on with something else. It is infinitely more constructive for everyone than a campaign of impotent rage and hate.
Somewhat of the mind that it still involves a great degree of that impotent rage and hate, but understandable to not jump in to judge if you've not examined it yourself.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few commonalities... but pure body-image issues are usually self-directed dislike, whereas from what I've seen, incels blame other people for refusing to sleep with them.

Reactions: MrCalavera and Kae

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Can you be part of a movement dedicated to not caring about an issue, though? But, yeah, not caring and getting on with your life doesn't sound a bad idea.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Can you be part of a movement dedicated to not caring about an issue, though? But, yeah, not caring and getting on with your life doesn't sound a bad idea.
The movement is to learning to pursue one's life without relationships with women. As far as I am aware, MGTOW have diverse views on sex, whether to completely abstain from women or casual sex & prostitutes are okay. After that, doing so in a positive frame (moving on) is a preferable to a negative frame (embitterment).

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

Unfounded accusations are sill unfounded accusations unless you have evidence to back them up. You are just making up stuff and then claiming it has to be true because rich people own news agencies and social media when those have nothing at all to do with one another. Just making up stuff and saying " rich people" doesn't suddenly make anything you said even remotely true. If you are going to accuse them of something, accuse them of something they actually did here. There is plenty of evidence for that. But just making up crap doesn't make any of what you said true. If you are going to make the accusation PROVE it is happening, and I am not seeing you do that at all here.

You are not even making specific accusation against any individual or group, it is just as bad as Trump's " shadow people on planes that control the streets" BS that he completely made up as well.

It is like SHADOW PEOPLE OMGAWD!