What are you reading? What books have you got lined up?

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
gideonkain said:
Reading "The Talisman" now after seeing it on my shelf for over 10 years, and then it's the new Dark Tower book, The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole.
I've been skittish about picking up the Dark Tower books. Are they good?

Edit: Accidentally quoted some wrong people xD
Its about a Universe parallel to our own that's "moved on" basically just dried up and died, it follows the journeys of Roland the Last Gunslinger, basically the last knight of a long gone kingdom.

He's basically got Gun-katta, amazing killing aim and he's on his way to The Dark Tower, a structure at the center of all worlds.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Juggling Stephen King's Under the Dome and Dean Koontz' The Taking. I'm loving both of them thus far, just finished What the Night Knows by Koontz and I loved that as well.

Further, if you're in a King mood, I heartily recommend Duma Key.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'm currently reading The Vengeful Malice (book two in the three part Hungering Saga by Heath Paff) and plan to read the third book when I'm done. I also plan to get the rest of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (I've read four of the six), re-read Dracula in the next few months.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Just finished the autobiagraphy of Jimmy White and next up Ronnie O Sullivan. Also reading "school books" to try and get into university. So not too much fantasy/acifi/action books at teh moment.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Just finished reading The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, which was awesome, reading Mogworld by the Escapist's own Yahtzee at the moment. Next up is Weaveworld by Clive Barker, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and a bunch of H.P. Lovecraft.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Binnsyboy said:
I've been reading American Psycho, and it strikes me as the sort of book that some Escapists might be knowledgeable about.

Anyway, I'm about 40% of the way through it, and while it's definitely interesting, it just seems very scatterbrained. A plot is emerging, but it's all surrounded by a lot of unannounced occurrences. All in all, definitely stranger than any other book I've read.

I was just wondering, is there a point to all this? Does it become clear at any point?
I dunno, I haven't read it yet. I have read his first book, Less than Zero and that is all kind of fascinatingly unnerving, a bit like a car crash in book form.
I've just finished Gomorrah, which is the expose on the Camorra, who are essentially like the mafia but worse. Next, I have a Noam Chomsky book that I have already forgotten the title of, exploring America's global dominance. I can't see me finishing it, but it was cheap. Then I'll probably go back to the classics.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I am reading Metro 2033. It's a good enough book, but compared to the game, the characters I've met so far are less flushed out, and, in one hilariously stupid case, drastically inferior to their virtual counterparts.

I won't give away who I'm talking about, but in the game he's a good companion, knows what he's talking about, is a generally nice guy, and actually feels like a person. In the book however...

"Okay, glad to meet you Artyom. Now then, I can't wait to walk out into this tunnel so I can DIE."

And then he does.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
We recently read Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner in English Literature and I enjoyed it immensely, so now I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'm barely into it, only a few chapters, but it's shaping up well.

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
I recently bought Game of Thrones.

Nobody told me it was the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series :eek:.
Always wanted to read that series... now in English :3 and in paperback.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Carbonyl said:
Binnsyboy said:
Carbonyl said:
Last Chance To See- Douglas Addams goes around the world for the BBC with a naturalist friend and describes animals that are very near extinction. It's excellent, hilarious, informative, and thoughtful.
There's another edition of that with Stephen Fry.
WHERE? I must have it!
Amazon UK link [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Chance-See-Stephen-Fry/dp/0007290721/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335101307&sr=8-2] I'm sure you can find it on the American one, if that's where you live.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Game of throwns and Parasite eve, quite contrasting storylines

but i have such a hyge backlog of books to read its not funny......

ConstantJoe

Apr 10, 2009
Just finished David Gemmill's Legend there last night, so I'm about to start reading Ulysses. After that I'll probably go back and finish the Wheel of Time series.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
At the moment I'm reading through Tolkeins "Silmarillion" - it's pretty heavy reading, more so than the LOTR/Hobbit/Children of Hurin were. I've got a few of "The Vampire Earth" series by E.E.Knight to go ( Got the latest book yesterday ) and am looking into "A song of ice and fire" because the series has been pretty fucking amazing so far!

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Currently re-reading A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin. Had to stop halfway through before as I had to read other books for my English exam (which I had an A in), but enjoying it so far. Storm of Swords is still my favourite though.

After that's finished, gonna go on and read Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, then back to the A Song of Ice and Fire.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Flicking between the Necronomicon and the Sherlock Holmes collection at the moment.. It all really depends on what I feel like reading at the time.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Rereading my Raymond E.Feist collection at the moment.Currently on "Rise of a Merchant Prince"
I'm doing the exact same thing xD
I'm also reading the ciaphas cain books which are quite awesome. Kind of like the blackadder of the 40k universe
And i'm reading through the reports of long range desert group patrol commanders from ww2. There's some absolutely fascinating stuff in there.