What are you reading? What books have you got lined up?

Kuzlo

Mar 31, 2009
Huh, hasn't been mentioned directly so....

Recently I've been re-reading the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. Really good, can always recommend since they don't get much recognition.

Sadly Lynch has hasn't updated the series in quite awhile, but from what I've heard he's been through some rough personal stuff. New book some time this Fall maybe?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Because of school--ironically--nothing. Too much to do.
My brother recently got Drift by Racheal Maddow and I've been reading that when I get the chance to steal it away for awhile. It's actually a really good book, someone of you will probably write that off as a pretty bias statement because I love her show.

My mom also got me Fast Food Nation not too long ago, but I haven't had the chance to open it. I've read some of it for school and it seems interest, if alittle drawn out at times. A lot their information is kind of dated now too.

And I have a couple books that have accumulated over the years that I still haven't gotten all the way through. At the Mountian of Madness, The Zombie Survival Guide, and The Power of One

helltime37

May 19, 2011
im reading the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (got all the parts in one book). its just great fun reading

Khazidhea

Oct 23, 2008
Just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and started Illusion by Frank Peretti. Also reading Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller.

After realising that there are many books I'd want to read but that would never get to the top of my list unless I changed my order of reading books, I've categorised my reading list and read through them by cycling though the different categories. Also, after just ordering and organising some books, I could easily tell you the next 10 (or 20 or 30) books I'm planning on reading:

Raven Calls by CE Murphy, rereading Rage of a Demon King by Raymond E Feist, Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno, The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie, The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, and (back to the start of my reading cycle) Wind and Shadow by Kathy Tyers. Also planning on reading simultaneously with the above list Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy and The Complete CS Lewis Signature Series.

I must say that I'm a bit surprised by the coincidental timing of some books already being read in this topic, Mogworld and John Dies at the End are the next comedy books after The Gun Seller while The Witch Watch was my last, the Raymond Feist books are the series I'm currently rereading with Rise of a Merchant Prince being my last read, and Fragile Things is on my list but a bit further down (spot 21 if I counted correctly)

MelasZepheos said:
I think I've been kind of put off reading, which is disappointing because I used to love it. Adult books trying to pretend that all it takes to be considered a serious work of art is to have a sudden and implausible downer ending, children and young adult literature that might be better used as insulation material...

Not a good time to be an avid reader.
I'd have to disagree with this quite a bit. I'm sure our tastes probably aren't very similar but to me it seems hard to believe that there are no classics, no highly recommended must reads in your chosen genre/s that you haven't checked out, and no new authors/series that have books with an interesting premise that you'd be willing to chance on.

eggy32 said:
Also, has anyone read the Republic Commando books? I loved the games and I'd like to see the story furthered.
I can't compare them to the games but I really enjoyed them. They gave a good insight into the lives of several clone troopers, really fleshing out their characters and showing their differences, what drives them, and how they relate to each other. Just about the only thing I like about the Star Wars prequels timeline actually. It's a shame that the cartoon TV series retconned what Mandalorians are and conflict with the books so the series will never be finished.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Currently reading The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah.

Got the last Dark Tower book, the whole Song of Ice and Fire saga and the two WH40k Caiphas Cain omnibuses lined up.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Currently reading the Kim Harrison Vampiric Charms series, taking a break every now and a again to read from the Necronomicon by H.P Lovecraft.

In my shit to read pile I have
Infinite Riches - Ben Okri
Inheritance - Christopher Paolini
Nazism 1919 - 1945, Volume 4 'The German Homefront during World War II' - Jeremy Noakes
Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (Again(I'm not looking forward to it)

And probably some more but my room is currently a tip.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
The Colour of Magic. After that, I've got I Robot, Vren: The Hidden Rooms and perhaps The Light Fantastic.

In other words, a whole lot of fantasy and a bit of sci-fi.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I'm currently drowning myself in the Potterverse in order to alleviate my encroaching depression. It's working suprisingly well, and I'm only on the fourth book!

After that I'll probably re-read Host, then read Skulduggery Pleasant and after that, Dracula.

But right now I have to go read Jerusalem for a lecture tomorrow, woohoo.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I just finished rereading the Monster Blood Tattoo series, which I'll recommend to anyone in a heart beat if they are in the mood for a YA fantasy series. Tricorner hats, muskets, bio-engineering, and monsters. Pure. Awesomeness.

Right now I'm reading Foundation and Empire. FORWARD THE FOUNDATION!

WhiteandNeardy99

Jun 8, 2010
spartandude said:
WhiteandNeardy99 said:
I recently finished Know No Fear, part of black library's Horus Heresy series, and I decided to reread the earlier ones. I'm up to Battle For The Abyss so far.
2 things

one: Is Know no Fear any good? i mean i LOVE Dan Abnett but i HATE the ultramorons with a passion

two: if it can be avoided do not read Battle for the Abyss, it is utter and complete shit
Know No Fear is good not the best in my opinion but still very readable, I won't spoil any of it for you but there's a part with Kor Phareon and Gulliman I found very unbelievable, I am aware that I've just described a science fiction book set 29,000 years in the future as unbelievable but you'll know what I mean when you read it lol. I picked my copy up on Amazon for like four quid so defo worth it in that respect. I didn't used to mind the Ultramarines until Matt Ward rewrote the Spacemarine codex I feel he went a bit OTT.

I know a few people who hated BftA but I didn't think it was thaaat bad definately not the most solid writing but still entertaining, except Zadkiel is just an arse.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
Crewel Lye, and everything up to book possible book 38 in the Xanth series.

as to what i am readin now, i'll have to answer with nothing... :*(

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
At the moment I'm working my way through the Dresden Files, I'm up to Proven Guilty so far. After that I'll probably splurge on a few Discworld books.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Song of Fire and Ice series, currently on Storm of Swords

I'm also in the middle of the Wheel of Time, waiting on the last book to come out (Towers of Midnight may have been the best so far), and trying to find a missing book in the center of the New Jedi Order series. Then I may finally finish the Swan's War, if I can get around to finding the third and final book.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
There are currently 100+ books in the "to read" pile sitting on my floor atm, but I will probably continue with the Flashman books next.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
I'm currently reading Thief of Time. A Discworld novel.

Probably follow that up with another Discworld book. Maybe re-read a couple Ben Elton books. OR some Hitchhiker's.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Mistborn Trilogy. It's alright. Characters are kinda flat.

Thinking of Name of the Wind next, I hear it's decent. That's assuming Abercrombie's new book isn't out by then.
I fucking love Abercrombie.
I'm just starting Every Dead Thing, after finishing Anno Dracula. After that I have a choice of The Crow Road or The World According to Garp.

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
I watched the LotR when I was young, and it encouraged me to read the books. however, at my tender age they were a bit too advanced for me, and I ended up stopping after the FotR. Now, however, many years later, I'm reading them again. 2 chapters in, and loving it.

EDIT: Afterwards I might read some Holmes. I've read 2 of them, and they were so much fun. Gotta read some more.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Last series I abandoned was Hyperion, after book two, regardless of the content of 'science' in fiction I'm going to burn it once you start explaining things with _blank_.
Last book I abandoned was one of the tales of Sinhue.

Next up: A history of Human Relations... I need to wait until they cut my power, probably next month.
A ton of science fiction, little fantasy on my 'to read list.' And then there is an infinite amount of non-fiction to absorb.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Nietz said:
Just finished reading Dune by Frank Herbert. My fiancée got a hold of one of the few translated versions of the book. While I liked the book, now I want to read it in English, I'm thinking it might be better.
I started reading Elven Blade by Nick Perumov. When I picked that one up, I also got my hands on Night Watch by Sergej Lukjanenko and Hard to be a God by the Strugatsky brothers. I seem to have a thing for east European sci-fi.
I've been wanting to read Night Watch, but I'm having difficulty finding it.

Khazidhea said:
I can't compare them to the games but I really enjoyed them. They gave a good insight into the lives of several clone troopers, really fleshing out their characters and showing their differences, what drives them, and how they relate to each other. Just about the only thing I like about the Star Wars prequels timeline actually. It's a shame that the cartoon TV series retconned what Mandalorians are and conflict with the books so the series will never be finished.
What is it this scum bucket animated series has had to say about my beloved Mandalorians!?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
BluebellForest said:
I'm currently drowning myself in the Potterverse in order to alleviate my encroaching depression. It's working suprisingly well, and I'm only on the fourth book!
My only problem with using books to stave off depression is that (especially in a series like Harry Potter, where you're in it for the long haul and develop a real bond with everything) it's really depressing when the story ends and you're given your hat, and coat, and kindly asked to leave the universe you've been engrossed in for what seems like an eternity.

You should look into Pottermore, though. All this extra stuff JK Rowling thought up while writing the series is mind boggling.