What are you watching atm?

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I've had that show(season 3) in my backlog for years and on one had I want to jump into it, but I kinda have this nagging feeling I need to refresh myself on the first two seasons and I remember Season 2 turns into an unbearable slog around the middle(and suddenly get good again at the end). Does it really matter? If so, is there a good summery I could watch beforehand?
If you remember the broad strokes of the first two seasons, you probably won't need to watch it again. Season 3 focuses on the more surreal elements of the original series (Bob, the Red Room), and makes close to no reference to the weak material in mid-season 2. Part of the value to seeing some returning characters is the "where are they now?" factor, but the show is kind enough to give a quick refresher on some of the more critical elements from the original series. I wouldn't know of any good summaries, but if you want to err on the side of caution, you may want to go as far as to watch it again up until the Laura Palmer case is resolved, then skip to the last episode outright if you remember the circumstances of the Windom Earle arc, as it isn't that pertinent to The Return aside from the ending. (S3 does mention what happens at the end of S2, but the final episode is such an amazing piece of TV media that it's worth seeing it again for the sake of it.) There are also some references to Fire Walk With Me, but it's a great enough movie that it's worth revisiting after S1-2 for its own sake as well.

Last edited:

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Fellowship of the rings extended eddition. Just finished the comentary on disk 1 and the extras on disk 3 and 4

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm watching the TV show Shetland. Its not the most interesting UK police show ever, but the lead actor is good and if I'm honest, the scenery is beautiful.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Like...why does the kid always play with the electrical plug switches? If i pull them away before electrical introduction, how will they ever learn of its angry danger? I've left them with some fine cutlery just in case.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I finally finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time last week and decided to rewatch the original 2003 show for the first time since I was in high school(basically when it was first airing on Adult Swim in 2003-2004).

It's interesting seeing the contrast between the two shows to say the very least.

The different directions 2003 goes in are wild.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The only series I really keep up with these days is the second season of the Harley Quinn cartoon. Everything else I'd been following has ended or been put on pause by the pandemic.

Its an okay show, but now that we're in season 2 the "this character from the comics is either a complete nincompoop or a rat bastard" gimmick is getting pretty old.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Started season 3 of 4 of Thundercats today, which marks the switch from mono to stereo for the show. Sounds so much better not coming just out of my center speaker. The left and right speakers are also fed through my sub woofer, so the show finally has bass.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Watching Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts right now. Good show, colorful characters, good music.

Had to shotgun She-Ra season 5 for my twitter to be useable. Satisfying ending, very sapphic all around. Would've liked an extra epilogue episode or two. Lotta angsty feelings gonna hit after the victory rush cools down.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Watching Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts right now. Good show, colorful characters, good music.

Had to shotgun She-Ra season 5 for my twitter to be useable. Satisfying ending, very sapphic all around. Would've liked an extra epilogue episode or two. Lotta angsty feelings gonna hit after the victory rush cools down.
I'm watching both of those shows with my 3 year old Daughter. Kipo is a mainstay, which I don't mind because it's an entertaining show which feels like Fallout meets Studio Ghibli. Is it terrible I enjoy the timbercat episodes so much?

She-ra she just started getting into(still in Season 1) and now is asking for almost exclusively. I'm enjoying it okay though it's it feels farther out of my demographic then Kipo does. I hate to use the word "GIrly" but the focus on princesses and each one having a very particular idiosyncratic quality to them which hasn't quite geled with me yet.

I've been watching a lot of "kids" shows due to having a 3 year old and being stuck inside with her a lot. Recently Watched Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc and enjoyed that a lot more then any of the other Scooby shows/movies(having an actual plot arc helps a lot). I'm occasionally astonished by the sheer number of references a kid totally won't get. Twin Peaks, Dune, Maybe Twilight, Harlon Ellison, HP Lovecraft, etc. I had to look up what Ska Music because I'd never heard of it before(Being popular in the 1960's probably explains why).

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I'm occasionally astonished by the sheer number of references a kid totally won't get. Twin Peaks, Dune, Maybe Twilight, Harlon Ellison, HP Lovecraft, etc. I had to look up what Ska Music because I'd never heard of it before(Being popular in the 1960's probably explains why).
I've noticed that with some old kid shows from childhood I've revisited in my adult years, like Batman TAS and Beast Wars. I think it's mostly for the amusement of the show creators, since I imagine writing children's programming can get somewhat dull and repetitive feeling over time.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Me and my girlfriend are currently watching the Harley Quinn animated show. We went in pretty blind, my girlfriend especially, who was under the impression that this was a kids show. Its really funny, pretty brutal at parts, and overall a good time. We are almost at the finale of the first season, and the first half was definitely stronger - but it is still very enjoyable.

Honestly, im really enjoying DC's more experimental efforts. Joker was a good time, the Birds of Prey movie felt like it tried as hard as it could to distance itself from the rest of the DCEU bullshit, and this show is a lot of fun, too. I'd like to see a lot more of this stuff.

Other than that, we are watching The Lord of the RIngs movies - or rather, I am, as she pretty much just switched herself off about half-way through the first film. I have watched these films, but that was probably about 10+ years ago, so I dont really remember much other than the occaisional plot point. They are very well made, and have aged very, very well, but watching the extended versions, are they are definitely very long films to sit through.

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
Tom Goes to the Mayor, that show that made most people hate Adult Swim. It has a look and an interesting tone: a kind of banal absurdity. I think the central problem is that Tom and the Mayor aren't very compelling characters. Something tells me if Tim and Eric switched roles it would be better. Some of the details are very funny, but the plots are predictable and all executed with the same blasé quality of its dialogue. Outrageous things are happening, but the show and the viewer both understand that none of it matters and that it isn't about anything. I am pretty impressed by the amount of alt-comedy heavyweights that cameo in it though. I guess that was because of the Odenkirk connection.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Honestly, I saw those podcasts the Community cast did during the ongoing quarintine so I decided to give the show a re-watch especially since I never actually saw the last season (Since it was on Yahoo & all), and so far I'm enjoying it, it's a good show, not everything clicks for me & at times it makes me cringe so much that I live it paused while I go do something else for 20 minutes, but being fair the show is trying to be cringey on purpose so that's more my fault for bothering to watch a style of humour I know I don't appreciate, however I do think the show is genuinely clever & for the most part pretty enjoyable, re-watching it it's very obvious why Marvel went on to hire the Russo brothers for their films as they clearly show a lot of talent.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
HBO's Rome, I have them on Blu-Ray. The acting and dialogue in this show is just so fucking good.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Finished Dekalog (1988) for the second time earlier this week, started rewatching Berlin-Alexanderplatz, Rainer Werner Fassbinder's 14-part miniseries.
HBO's Rome, I have them on Blu-Ray. The acting and dialogue in this show is just so fucking good.

Sort of regret not buying the Blu-ray when it was 30 dollars a week ago. My thinking was that it would take forever to finish The X-Files again and it's only been seven years (?) since I watched Rome.

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
Finished Dekalog (1988) for the second time earlier this week, started rewatching Berlin-Alexanderplatz, Rainer Werner Fassbinder's 14-part miniseries.

Sort of regret not buying the Blu-ray when it was 30 dollars a week ago. My thinking was that it would take forever to finish The X-Files again and it's only been seven years (?) since I watched Rome.
I remember finding Berlin Alexanderplatz pretty striking when I watched it, but it faded pretty quick despite its stature. Do watch Eight Hours Don't Make a Day though, that's one of my favourite Fassbinder works. There's something really moving about watching someone who otherwise filled their films with acidic and cruel characters make something that's so good-hearted and hopeful.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I remember finding Berlin Alexanderplatz pretty striking when I watched it, but it faded pretty quick despite its stature. Do watch Eight Hours Don't Make a Day though, that's one of my favourite Fassbinder works. There's something really moving about watching someone who otherwise filled their films with acidic and cruel characters make something that's so good-hearted and hopeful.
I plan to. Just waiting for a discount. Maybe the next Criterion Barnes and Noble sale, whenever that is. Fassbinder is one of my favorite directors, so I wouldn't miss it.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Kinda went on a binge these past couple weeks.. With the showcase coming up, just kinda relaxing at night and letting my mind shut-off for a bit.

Got all caught up on Vikings which left on a hell of a cliffhanger for Season 6. Second half comes out in November I think? Sad it's ending, but damn it's been a good show.

Binged S3 of The Last Kingdom. Was quite good, though I felt like the story didn't really go anywhere? It definitely set up an intriguing plot for S4, but this season, while fun to watch, seemed pretty stagnant for the main character.

Binged S2 of Jack Ryan, which is turning out to be a really excellent show. Fun action, good characters and a intriguing (if not totally believable) plot. Would definitely recommend.

Now I'm trying to decide on The Hunters or checking out The Expanse for my next show. I've also got Outlanders on my list, and I need to finish up Into the Badlands at some point.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm currently 13 episodes into the third season of Twin Peaks. It's fascinating to see Lynch tackle a TV show narrative once again when he's directed some of his most experimental movies in the years that followed season 2. Some parts genuinely reach Inland Empire levels of intensity, particularly episode 8, which may be one of the best things he's ever made. It was fairly jarring at first to have episodes switch between new characters/settings and already familiar ones, but I've grown to like the new additions a lot (considering the many mediocre ideas of season 2, it was probably for the best that the town only serve as part of a larger story; it's already a lot of fun to see how some of the characters have grown). I also enjoy not hearing the same half-dozen background themes constantly as in the original show. I'm eager to see how it unfolds in the last couple of episodes.
I just started watching that today, currently 2 episodes in.

I'm finding that I don't remember the old characters quite as well as I thought I did so I sometimes struggle to figure out if a character I'm seeing is someone from an old season or a new addition. I probably should have re-watched seasons 1 and 2 before watching season 3 since I previously saw them more than 10 years ago, but I couldn't be bother to sit through the middle of season 2 again.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
For All Mankind. Great show. It sets up the premise what would have happened if the Soviets were the first to put a man on the moon. Well, the space race would have never ended and culture and society would consequently have developed along different lines as well. A situation that becomes even more prominent when the Soviets are also the first in putting a woman on the moon. I really like how the show gets the little historic and scientific nuances right without going overboard for dramatization. The storyline about Werner von Braun(the 'Nazi' scientist whose V2 rocket designs were pretty much the blueprint for the Saturn rocket and the starting days of NASA in general) is espescially good and elaborates how muddled the lines sometimes are between collaborator and victim. Eventually they manage to establish a 'base' on the surface of the moon from where they could potentially explore the rest of the universe after mining it for water which could be converted into fuel but then they also show how hard, lonely, boring and frustrating life is in a place where mankind has never set foot.