What are you watching atm?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I've started watching DCs recent Swamp Thing tv series. It may have got canned or put on hold in terms of a Season 2 but Season 1 is really strong it's like a higher budget better written CW show. It's got the feel of sort of the earlier season of Supernatural of back roads and ancient mythologies etc going on.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Also rewatching Police Squad, the six episode show that came before the Naked Gun movies. The humor works better in a 25 minute TV format. This new Blu-ray transfer is probably also now the best looking Nielsen film.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watching Cannon Busters. An anime in the spirit of Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star with a predominatly black cast. Sign me up.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Also rewatching Police Squad, the six episode show that came before the Naked Gun movies. The humor works better in a 25 minute TV format. This new Blu-ray transfer is probably also now the best looking Nielsen film.
End credits were always the best bits to watch for out of context lols.

OT: Meh, not much, binge-playing more than watching anything at the moment, but what I am watching is just a bunch of currently airing anime, of varying quality TBH. Fruits Basket (2019) S2, Honzuki no Gekokujou and a few others.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Started season 5 of The X-Files a couple of days ago. I'm amused Mulder never takes a camera anywhere in his quest to expose the truth about alien conspiracies.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Started watching Billions.

So far it's pretty good. Just the right amount of trashiness with some really great actors.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm slowly making my way through Neon Genesis Evangelion. I'm not a huge watcher of anime but every now and again I like to dip my toes in and watch a series or film that I know is well-regarded or notable and see what I think. I've reached the halfway point of the show and I'm definitely enjoying it. I guess I knew before going in that it had a reputation of being a deconstruction of mecha anime and the trope of having kid heroes, but I wasn't quite prepared for how visceral it gets, even in those early episodes. It's starting to be a bit lighter in tone as it hits that midpoint but I get the feeling that it won't stay that way - I can't see a positive ending for this at least, but I am keen to see just where it ends up going.
Strap yourself in lad, shits gonna get wild.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I love Billions. Some of the lines Damian Lewis and Giamatti get to say + their delivery make the show.
I think it's running out of steam, the reestablishment of the status quo in the last finale was annoying. Im waiting for this season to finish before i watch it

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just finished an elliptical workout watching Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 2 Episode 1 on IMDBtv for free with commercials. So surprising to see a T1000 introduced in a TV show. In 1992, the concept was spectacularly expensive. So far, really great show. So sad it was killed by a writer's strike back then.
Yeah I liked that show too, until I stopped watching it. The part that I liked, was a very subtle thing they did in the pilot epsiode with John. I remember it distinctly, as a very subtle bit of acting from him, that conveyed a lot, at least to me. It's when he sees the terminator for the first time. And if you watch his face, you see a shifting of facial features, and expression, and you can SEE him, realizing that he didn't escape the apocalypse that he's destined to fight against and end. It's a wonderful moment, of his initially happy persona, at having "dodged the apocalypse bullet", shifting back to "ok well, it's on now, I can't escape it, so I have to start leading, I have to put that mantle back on." It's a very Reluctant Hero kind of moment, and I thought it was great. And it colored all of his later actions in the series in a way that I really enjoyed. The rest of the show was often with Sarah being all Mother Bear to John, trying to keep him isolated and bubbled up against everything, because "he has a future!" And John's thought is "that future is NOW. If I'm supposed to be fighting this fight, then I need to fight it. So I'm going to fight it."

I really liked that bit. Sadly the series sort of lost me around...I dunno, episode 6 or so?

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For fans of Miyazki, I highly recommend you watch this review. It's more than just about the film itself.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Was Miyazaka serious about the Anime was a Mistake quote?
No. All he did was critcize bad practices about the industry. That screen cap was just a meme people mocking him or making fun of the way he criticizes. It's just certain news and journalists sites actually took it as an actual quote from him, when it was not the case.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah I liked that show too, until I stopped watching it. The part that I liked, was a very subtle thing they did in the pilot epsiode with John. I remember it distinctly, as a very subtle bit of acting from him, that conveyed a lot, at least to me. It's when he sees the terminator for the first time. And if you watch his face, you see a shifting of facial features, and expression, and you can SEE him, realizing that he didn't escape the apocalypse that he's destined to fight against and end. It's a wonderful moment, of his initially happy persona, at having "dodged the apocalypse bullet", shifting back to "ok well, it's on now, I can't escape it, so I have to start leading, I have to put that mantle back on." It's a very Reluctant Hero kind of moment, and I thought it was great. And it colored all of his later actions in the series in a way that I really enjoyed. The rest of the show was often with Sarah being all Mother Bear to John, trying to keep him isolated and bubbled up against everything, because "he has a future!" And John's thought is "that future is NOW. If I'm supposed to be fighting this fight, then I need to fight it. So I'm going to fight it."

I really liked that bit. Sadly the series sort of lost me around...I dunno, episode 6 or so?
I'm glad it did not have a 3rd season as I started to have to stretch my credulousness too much. I could see our heroes trying to keep what they were doing a secret if they thought no one would believe them and maybe just, ala T2, put them in mental wards. But over the course of the show, they could easily show people the truth, robots all over the place. No mental ward necessary. Maybe Sarah was trying to keep things on the low down till the real war starts as she no longer wants to change the present as 1) it won't work 2) efforts to do so could disrupt the future and cause John's win we know is to be, instead, wouldn't happen. But again, that's making me work pretty hard to justify what I was seeing.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Tried watching Patrick Melrose and turned if off half an hour into the first episode.

I just can't stand the quirky drug addict trope. It gets very annoying very quickly.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've been watching Hilda, and it's rather phenomenal. Those first three episodes were enchanting.

Reactions: Dalisclock