Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I've been watching Hilda, and it's rather phenomenal. Those first three episodes were enchanting.
Hilda is a wonderful show. I watched it with my wife and later introduced it to my toddler(who LOVES it). It is kinda awesome how the supernatural stuff is just part of life to everyone, to the point the wood man(a man made of wood) wandering in just a point of annoyance because "He's rude". Whereas the fact he brings in logs for the fire feels oddly surreal, him being made of wood himself.

Also how the Trollberg city walls being there to keep trolls out and this is a legit concern(and apparently legally punishable if you do let a troll in, even by accident), not just an old timey problem.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hilda is a wonderful show. I watched it with my wife and later introduced it to my toddler(who LOVES it). It is kinda awesome how the supernatural stuff is just part of life to everyone, to the point the wood man(a man made of wood) wandering in just a point of annoyance because "He's rude". Whereas the fact he brings in logs for the fire feels oddly surreal, him being made of wood himself.

Also how the Trollberg city walls being there to keep trolls out and this is a legit concern(and apparently legally punishable if you do let a troll in, even by accident), not just an old timey problem.
On paper on it's not too dissimilar from other cartoon shows with magical slice of life elements, like Gravity Falls, but the execution gives it a very unique and cozy atmosphere. It reminds me a lot of The Moomins.

And the voice acting adds a lot somehow. The way Hilda and her mother talk doesn't feel like the typical cartoon voice acting, and it makes the world and its characters feel very reasonable dispite all the weird stuff happening.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Started watching Hannibal on netlfix.

Actually I had started it earlier back when I had Amazon prime, but I only have Amazon prime when I get free trials of it, and the show was long enough that I didn't want to seriously devote time to it when there were other things I wanted to watch.

I'm now 8 episodes in, and it's great. Also, watching him cook people makes me hungry.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I am so hyped for Season 5 right now! Rival Schools is getting its due, and Dan The Man is back, baby!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I don't feel at home on (in? In!) this world anymore

A title like that can only go 2 obvious ways. Luckily it was the least terrible one. Dark comedy with heart. Also good to see Elijah Wood in the business doing well after having the sheer gall of calling Hollywood out on their sexual predator bullshit before they couldn't get away with ghosting you for it.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh bollocks that wasn't a TV series. I was hoping it was.

Nevermind! Derry Girls now. This is acceptable.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Warning: There is a lot of content that going to get rough. Watch at your own risk!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Anybody who's a fan of action cartoons is missing out if they're sleeping on Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That animation goes extremely hard.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I enjoy anime but I never actually watched Attack on Titan, till now. Before I thought it would be one of those shows that was gory to just be gory, but its actually pretty damn good. Right now at the start of season 2 which I know nothing about, I knew some stuff about season 1 but somehow I'm going into season 2 blind.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Just finished the Epstine documentary on Netflix.

I can finally see why there are so many that believe it was an inside job despite evidence that it was a suicide, and why it took the Me 2 movement to take him down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I enjoy anime but I never actually watched Attack on Titan, till now. Before I thought it would be one of those shows that was gory to just be gory, but its actually pretty damn good. Right now at the start of season 2 which I know nothing about, I knew some stuff about season 1 but somehow I'm going into season 2 blind.
While nowhere near as grim dark as Tokyo Ghoul, I for the life of me could not get in to Attack on Titan. While the series is not a shounen anime and is seinen, it still has the problems the shounen genre has. Also, I just don't like most of the characters. It all suffers from what I like to call Walking Dead syndrome. AKA Highschool of the Dead syndrome if you really want the anime equivalent.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
While nowhere near as grim dark as Tokyo Ghoul, I for the life of me could not get in to Attack on Titan. While the series is not a shounen anime and is seinen, it still has the problems the shounen genre has. Also, I just don't like most of the characters. It all suffers from what I like to call Walking Dead syndrome. AKA Highschool of the Dead syndrome if you really want the anime equivalent.
I don't know, one of the things I really like is how its dedicated to punishing anyone who seems to think they will be the shit. Like while it does give our main character a super power, he only manages to be successful once so far in using them, usually he gets his ass kicked and has to be saved by Mikasa, who is entirely too dedicated to him. The show is really dedicated to punching him in the head every time he starts thinking hes going to become a shounen main character powered by determination. Then again, I'm only at the start of season 2, so it might end up being more standard shounen, but I have heard very good things about season 3 so even if it does, it probably wont for long.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know, one of the things I really like is how its dedicated to punishing anyone who seems to think they will be the shit. Like while it does give our main character a super power, he only manages to be successful once so far in using them, usually he gets his ass kicked and has to be saved by Mikasa, who is entirely too dedicated to him. The show is really dedicated to punching him in the head every time he starts thinking hes going to become a shounen main character powered by determination. Then again, I'm only at the start of season 2, so it might end up being more standard shounen, but I have heard very good things about season 3 so even if it does, it probably wont for long.
From what I heard, it's more noticable in the manga and whatever comes after during season 3. In 2013/14, I was in to other anime. Kill La Kill and Space Dandy. With some rare exceptions, I just prefer shorter anime that usually have a complete story in mind.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
From what I heard, it's more noticable in the manga and whatever comes after during season 3. In 2013/14, I was in to other anime. Kill La Kill and Space Dandy. With some rare exceptions, I just prefer shorter anime that usually have a complete story in mind.
Maybe but by the time season 3 rolls around I have a feeling he will have enough ass beatings to have earned some ability to not suck.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe but by the time season 3 rolls around I have a feeling he will have enough ass beatings to have earned some ability to not suck.
If you say so. I have no idea what happens in the future, because I barely got past the first season.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If you say so. I have no idea what happens in the future, because I barely got past the first season.
What part did you get to?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Deca-dence is probably one of the more interesting animes I've watched as of late. I thought it was just going to be an Attack on Titan-esque premise with a different skin but they kinda chuck a wrench into it pretty early and I'm interested to see where it goes. Also watching a shit load of seasonal anime but nothing I really want to say anything about but am glad all the ones that got put on hiatus due to the current crisis are back on air.

Solar Opposites was fun but I wish someone else voiced Korvo of if the actor tried a more different voice. It really does sound too damn much like Rick. Yes he did create the whole show. Well it's a minor bother and I binged all 8 episodes in a sitting.

Devs was fun while I was watching it but now I'm not really sure what to think of it all.

Star Wars stuff have been showing up in my Youtube feed and I've been thinking of whether to go watched all the animated stuff. Clone Wars + Rebels.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This, later tonight:

The Blu-ray supposed to come in Friday, but I got it just 7 minutes ago. Thanks, Amazon Prime.