what are your "unpopular" opinions on gaming?

muskrat_love

Oct 20, 2010
I suppose I'll give this a go. :U

1) I'm glad Yahtzee agrees with me on Ocarina of Time being terribly over rated. Both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are the best Zelda games ever made.
2) GOOD EFF DRAGON AGE ORIGINS IS JUST A GLORIFIED ONE PLAYER MMORPG. D:
3) The Wii is an alright system, but everyone's too damn scared to develop stuff for it.
4) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was funner than hell.
5) The Zelda games are the only games with well done sword combat. (Though if you can show me a good example of sword combat otherwise, I'd be happy to see it.)
6) Portal 2 wasn't worth it.
7) Cut-Scenes... I don't even know. Like... Sometimes they're better for story telling... sometimes they're not.
8) Good graphics are a blight on the gaming industry.
9) There has been little to no improvement to the otherwise very stagnant FPS genre in the last five years.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
StarFox games not developed by Argonaut do not count as "true" StarFox games.

Metroidvanias are not "true" Castlevanias either.

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
I always get dirty looks for this one, but: "I think blizzard rts games (eg both warcraft and starcraft series) are more rts/rpg hybrids". Now don't get me wrong, I do love blizzard games, starcraft 2 and warcraft 3 especially, they just aren't a completely purebred rts, especially when you put them next to series like red alert or supreme commander.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I thought Duke Nukem Forever was a fun and generally amusing game.
I don't like Mass Effect (the fans are to blame, really. I don't want to be part of a fanbase that has people who do formulas for a character's sweat.)
I like silent protagonists, as long as their actions speak for them.
I think the term "God of War rip off" should be made into something else, just like how "Doom clone" became "First Person Shooter".
I like Mortal Kombat more than I like Street Fighter.
I thought that the 2009 Wolfenstein was awesome.
I don't really like RPG elements.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
1. I thought Mass Effect 2 was a very good game and almost superior to the first in almost every way.

2. Dragon age 2 was alright

3. I think Drakengard is an awesome game and that it's lead protagonist, Caim, is the most original and refreshing protagonist to come out of the JRPG genre in the last ten years. (Although, if one were to look back on many of my comments on this site...i don't think they would be surprised at this).

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
Most games are just another way to desensitise and corrupt the minds of the already dumbed down kids all around the world, through senseless violence and meaningless discussions about which and what game/console/pc/character/build/set-up/perks/tactic/etc is the best.

Gaming as a medium is just like any other medium. It molds and forms our outlook on life, our expectations, our dreams, sexual preferences, ways to communicate and the way we treat eachother.
And its an entertaining way to introduce "future" technologies that is being kept secret from the public.

Is this unpopular enough?

And yes, i am serious..

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
1. Regenerating Health is okay in my book. I seriously hate searching for health packs
2. Duke Nukem Forever's Regenerating health was truen't regenerating health. It is more of a combination of the Health pack system and Regenerating Health system. Hell, you see Master Chief playing pinball so that his power armor become more powerful.
3. I seriously hate the Halo hate. I honestly can say that the story and the game fascinate me mostly for the connections towards that Spartans and Persians. Hell Reach sort of felt like 300 to me.
4. I hate most types of DLC and much more prefer an true expansion.
5. I actually like EA as a publisher.
6. Valve is overrated imo. Steam even more so. Just because I haven't bought a game yet on your site doesn't mean you have to lock me out on all the services.
7. I find most Sandbox games to be boring or never really holds my attention. I like RDR but damn, I rather just hunt for the entire game.
8. Mass Effect 2 is way better than Mass Effect
9. I am tired of limited backpack space in RPGs. That makes me said. It slows down the gameplay for me. I am seriously tired of getting rid of junk that has no purpose in the first place.

mushy262626

Feb 27, 2011
1. gta 4, dragon age 1, and fallout 3 are bad games.
2. half life 2 and occarina of time dont hold up today
3. i liked super mario sunshine more than i liked any other mario games.
4. portal 1 and 2 are alright, but not that amasing
5. g mod made me lose interest after 5 minutes online
6. your not as horrible as a person as everyone makes you out to be

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
1) if i'm playin' DCUO and i stick to what powers/armor/weapons i wanna use because they "fit with the character i'm tryin' to portray" and not necessarily the "right way to play that group role", that doesn't mean i'm "not playing it right"...

I'm gonna play my character the way it's fun for me....deal....

2) I don't care if Uncharted 2, or InFamous, were the "game of the year" candidates, they both handle like shooters...i don't like shooters...therefore, not happy...

3)While i'll agree that Enter the Matrix's controls were wonky at times, i still love th'game because it helped me get a wider scope of the overall story...and while i'm on the topic (though i know it's not necessarily related), yes i loved the 2nd and 3rd Matrix films more than the 1st one...

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
neurohazzard said:
I always get dirty looks for this one, but: "I think blizzard rts games (eg both warcraft and starcraft series) are more rts/rpg hybrids". Now don't get me wrong, I do love blizzard games, starcraft 2 and warcraft 3 especially, they just aren't a completely purebred rts, especially when you put them next to series like red alert or supreme commander.
Name one RPG element in Starcraft II multiplayer. There are literally none, not even basic hero units. It's the purest strategy game since Chess. (And if you're just talking about singleplayer, then... no sh!t, Sherlock?)

OT: My PS3 Slim is slower, buggier, freezes and hangs more often, and feels like a shoddier console than my Xbox 360 (most recent replacement, at least). I was under the impression they're considered to be smoother and more reliable.

I think in-game advertising is funny, hasn't really bothered me yet.

I find Minecraft to be boring and tedious as hell, but I'm not really creative in the ways required to get the most out of it.

The Deadliest Warrior games are as surprisingly good as Portal 1. Seriously, pinning friends' heads to the walls with Viking spears will NEVER get old.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i generally dont enjoy playing a character that has no voice or face. i dont really mind very much, as im getting RAGE soon and that game does just that, but i definitely prefer to play as a character that is actually a character.

as an example, the Call of Duty series has had us playing characters without a voice ever since it first came out. that is, until Black Ops. i enjoyed that campaign more than all the others, and it definitely helped that when the other characters in the game talked to my character, he actually responded.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
(Sorry for the double post, I suck at quoting)

GWarface said:
Most games are just another way to desensitise and corrupt the minds of the already dumbed down kids all around the world, through senseless violence and meaningless discussions about which and what game/console/pc/character/build/set-up/perks/tactic/etc is the best.

Gaming as a medium is just like any other medium. It molds and forms our outlook on life, our expectations, our dreams, sexual preferences, ways to communicate and the way we treat eachother.
And its an entertaining way to introduce "future" technologies that is being kept secret from the public.

Is this unpopular enough?

And yes, i am serious..
FYI, there have been a ton of studies on media effects on viewers, and they've all either been inconclusive or demonstrated that it doesn't really have any behavioral effects (e.g. causing violence), and that applies to books, TV, movies, video games, you name it; people are better at distinguishing reality from fantasy than you give them credit for.
(I'm generalizing a bit, but I have actually read a LOT of them for a number of research papers. You should really look into it more before just speculating, and I'm sure you'd find it fascinating anyway :)

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
Thunderhorse31 said:
Folksoul said:
All Rockstar games are all crap.
Most hack and slash are crap.
Most sandboxes are superfluous and are just there to pad out playtime.
Photo realism in the violence takes the fun out of the games.
All games that RELY on multiplayer as the main selling point that are not MMO's should not be made.
Everything exclusive to the 360 that is not an XBLA indie title, Mass Effect, or Tales of Vesperia is not worth playing.
The only Final Fantasy game I actually liked was XIII.

and Finally

I love the concept of the WiiU. Nintendo pretty much told developers "It has every possible interface, HD graphics, and a second screen. What can't you do with it? Experiment and innovate to your hearts content." If they get a downloadable indie section worth a damn they *could* be an unstoppable innovation machine.
Wow, these are really, REALLY uncommon opinions. What games do you enjoy, out of curiosity?
Platformers and RPG's mostly, and most of the Nintendo franchises. Bonus points if they have an emphasis on puzzles or the story.
Personal favorites include:
Shadow of the Colossus/ICO, Ratchet and Clack, Zelda, Sonic Colours, Persona 3&4, 999, Limbo, Eternal Darkness, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Pokemon, Silent Hill, Catherine, FF XIII, Mario Galaxy, Little Big Planet, Portal, Bioshock, Folklore, Spyro 1-3, DK 64, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Psychonauts, etc...

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Vault101 said:
here at the escapist OR anywhere else

1. I dont give a damn about regenerating health

2. I like dark and gritty

3. cutscenes are not the devil (that is unless they are 5 hours long)

4. generally I think voicless is only ok if you can customize your charachter (yes there are exceptions)

5. the Wii has absolutly nothing to offer ASIDE from the obvious nintendo franchises (metroid prime 3 was amazing)

6. Red faction Gurrela is a good game

7. people who scoff at "dark gritty COD fanboys" in favour of more "colurful" titles can be JUST as obnoxious and annoying using eaquality stupid arguments

letting the tearing apart of people favorites begin
I think I'm going to win the thread now:

Heroes of might and magic 3 isn't anything special and I think Heroes 4 is the best.
I think that one will suffice :)