What bug broke skyrim for you?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Misterian said:
I had a College of Winterhold bug happen to me once.

It was at the very start when I was supposed to be given a tour, but then! in the middle of it, a Dragon appeared and the lady giving me the tour completely stopped giving a hoot even after I killed it.

Now I have to try the Winterhold College in my next playthrough.
If you're on PC you can console command out of it. Not sure what the specific command is, beyond starting with "setstage", but it's something to look into. The final command will likely look like "setstage mg01 2" or something along those lines. I'm not sure on the actual ending number there, but the rest of it should be correct.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
A Cornered Rat doesn't start on any of my characters...
no main quest for me.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Nothing really...
Though I can't seem to get rid of Gallus' encoded journal.
Or give Panthea's flute to Panthea.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
goodman528 said:
As we all know skyrim is full of bugs, but it's such a good game, I have been forgiven most of it. Crashing to desktop every few hours, npc getting stuck on pieces of terrain, horse floating in air, and in pretty much any mission involving dialogue the people would get stuck requiring PC console codes to get past that stage. (...)
Yeah, I had three quit-to-desktop exits and two events that somehow got stuck for a while. One quest (radiant, I believe) was unresolvable because I happened to have killed the target actor some sixty hours of gameplay earlier, and the game just couldn't grasp my killing some more or less important, but not very sympathetic dude in a frock.

I did not have to go play around in the console until after I finished the game, and looking under the hood, so to speak, my admiration of the work involved only grew. I had not one truly messed up save game data, only some strange occurences with my horse, which seemed to spawn in odd spots a couple of times. Nothing truly game- or immersion-breaking for me.

So, my Skyrim wasn't broken before I went to console wonderland and posed for screenshots.

I never let my companions die, though. One horse, which I stole accidentally, at the very beginning, died on me and I paid the "fine" or whatever it was supposed to be, but other than that I saved early and often. No big gripes. If there was something that annoyed me crapless most of the time, it was the 3D-map which didn't help much and had me run around virtually every single mountain to find the proper way up eventually. But that was not a bug, it was a feature, and I might have fared better had I given up and connected a 360 controller to my PC, which I won't do because it feels more wrong than, say, asking Satan for a small favour.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Elfgore said:
Well that one mission involving the forsworn in markarth lead to me having a 500 bounty in the city, but as long as I didn't talk to the guards I was fine. But I went into the Temple of Talos and next thing I know the guards reappered there and tried to take me to jail. And now I have a 10000 or so bounty for slaying 30 guards to get out of the city. I can no longer go near that city.
Heh. You, sir, have not broken the game but you've decided to act against the plot and story offered. Mind you, you didn't have to do what you did, you could have just played through the game as suggested to you. If you're happy with that, you will live with it... forever wondering
what might have happened had you let them take you to jail.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Mariakko said:
First in the thieves guild the female nightingale (forgot her name) walked off before the ceremony to initiate me and i had to use console to correct that. Bows won't fire. Stealth attacks only doing normal damage on certain occasions even when the NPC is asleep and alone. Objects becoming invisible. Objects falling through the ground, Me falling through the ground. Quest items staying as quest items even when the quest is done.

I've had a horrible time with bugs, but still playing. Just quicksaving every minute or everytime I do something in case something breaks or it crashes.
AH! This just reminded me - yes, I did encounter a strange bug, where I was basically trapped in another dimension... imagine living through something straight out of a Hangover movie, then finding yourself in an eerie Mad Hatter tea party that felt as if Hannibal Lecter would jump out of the woods and explain he's a vegetarian now... and there is NO EXIT. So, if you accidentally re-enter this mad small patch of a scene, and the essential quest-giver happens to be absent, you'll be stuck at the party - forever. I completely forgot about this one, for psychological reasons. I ran around in circles for half an hour only to realize I'd been had. I blamed my greed for it, loaded the last save and moved on. But it was pretty nasty and nightmarish.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
i have encountered a few bugs but they probally made the game better for me, there just the funniest things.

Krais101

Dec 26, 2010
This was both annoying AND funny.

Starting a new game I watched the part on the cart with bored disinterest. I was looking around when what do I see? A bunny, running into the path of the cart in front.

CRASH!

The cart in front flips over. I watch helplessly as we plow into it, flipping over as well. I struggle for even one way for flip it back over, but with out the ability to control my character yet I am helpless.

Needless to say when I finally stopped laughing I restarted my game and from now on, I make it a habit to kill every rabbit I see on the side of the road. Call it community service.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Elfgore said:
Well that one mission involving the forsworn in markarth lead to me having a 500 bounty in the city, but as long as I didn't talk to the guards I was fine. But I went into the Temple of Talos and next thing I know the guards reappered there and tried to take me to jail. And now I have a 10000 or so bounty for slaying 30 guards to get out of the city. I can no longer go near that city.
thats part of the mission you should of went to jail
hint its a very fun quest

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
The only glitch that's really buggered up for me so far was one of the 'find a dragon shout' missions, given to me by the Greybeards. You know, the one's where they just add a marker to your map so you can go get a new shout.

They sent me to one I'd already been to. I was attacked by a dragon on arrival, which promptly failed to burn up after death, then the wall was still chanting away and fizzing, yet there's was no shout for it to give.

I couldn't remove the quest or mark it as complete, so I couldn't get any new locations from the greybeards.

No problem though, I'll just add all shouts myself, using the console.

Currently, I'm more bothered by the massive amount of disappointment I'm feeling over the end of the main quest occurring around 20 hours sooner than I thought it was going to. Great game........shitty main quest.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Right now I'm experiencing that bloody Glowing Eyes bug every time I switch between first and third person view, and there's just no way to fix it. Opened up the console to sexchange, altered my face, transformed into a werewolf and back, nothing fixes it. Annoying as fuck.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
During the Stormcloak quests when you have to hijack a cart with weapons and money in. It says "Report to Ralof", but when I try to do it he doesn't say anything about the quest and says the things npcs say when you talk to them but not in a dialogue tree. So now i cant finish the Stormcloak quests :(

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
None so far. I did use the pc console to remove a bugged quest, but it wasn't a major issue.

Edit: Its not a bug, but it took me a while to figure out how to become Thane of Riften because it doesn't work quite the same way as the other Thane quests.

Leonick

Mar 19, 2011
Well the Main Quest "Elder Knowledge" was broken for me, I could not progress as the Mage Guild librarian was missing the dialogue options he was supposed to have, completing the mage quest-line first apparently broke that... Could fix it with a console command though.

Didn't change my opinion on Bethesda or Skyrim though, both still great. To be honest I'm surprised it took 50 hours to run in to such a problem...

MrRetroSpectacles

Mar 6, 2011
Occasionally items are left stuck in mid-air when I return to an area where fighting occured, like arrows just left vertically planted in the barriers at Riften. Sometimes it seems that basic bandits have three times as much armour rating as they should, if I hit someone thats wearing steel with a legendary ebony warhammer, with the perk to ignore 50% armour on, I expect not to spend two minutes fighting him.

Other than that I've had no bugs, certainly not any game breakers.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I've put over 120 hours into the game, and haven't had any serious bugs (aside from the PS3 bug in which if the save file is 5.5 MB + it lags at times). Either I'm doing something right or everyone is doing something wrong to run into all these bugs.