What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
migo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears some of your proposed boycotts are simply because you're bored with a company of late.

Not one of those has the legitimacy of boycotting Walmart or Foxconn for labor conditions or Arizona Jeans or Tommy Hilfiger for slave labor.

Foxconn, by the way, is manufacturing the Wii U. There's your reason to boycott Nintendo, not because the 3DS tracks the player's activities to provide better service.

Siegebringer

Oct 17, 2008
I really don't like EA, I find they treat their games more like a product then a piece of art (a better balance would be appreciated) and games with potential feel rushed... They have let me down one to many times. I've never boycotted a game but the association with EA makes me much less interested.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
...Your problem with companies seems to be the fact that they will take money from people who want their products.

If people continually buy the same game repackaged every year with an increasing number on the side then it's not the company's fault - it's the consumer.

If I heard of someone who would give me a a hundred pounds every time I wrote him a book, no matter what the quality, I'd write piles of shit and drivel every single day until I could pay someone else to do it for me.

Also, what the shit is this and how do I spell it?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
You seem to be a bit quick to jump the gun, it must be a nightmare getting Christmas presents for you, unless you don't celebrate christmas because the Pope endorses it and you don't like his hat.

I am skeptical of publishers like EA, because i know the stuff that they can do, but doesn't mean i won't buy anything they've been affiliated with.

I don't really like EA, but i enjoyed Alice: Madness returns.
Just lighten up a bit.

DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
True words indeed.
Keep fighting the good fight.
:p
No, I don't celebrate Christmas because the Pope endorses Christmas and I don't like his views on women, homosexuals and the uterus :p

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Macrobstar said:
DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
Well only the second post and you've hot the nail on the head, Buy games based on quality not the company that makes them
This whole discussion is rather bizarre in that the idea of boycotting a games company is not one I take very seriously. I boycott companies, certainly, but not because of DRM; I boycott because of sweatshop labour, human rights abuses, murder and exploitation of the third world. I boycott Coca Cola, Nestle, Primark and their ilk. If and when a games company started doing those things I seriously would boycott.

Anyone who says thy never avoid buying something from a particular company because "that's stupid" is uninformed or naive. You may not choose to do it, but it's certainly not stupid; in some cases it's very, very serious business indeed.

When I don't buy a game because the DRM is crap or the company obnoxious I don't think of that as a boycott; I think of it simply as being a smart consumer and putting my money where my mouth is. You wouldn't eat at a restaurant where the staff treated you like crap, would you? Why put money in arseholes' pockets?

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Perryman93 said:
Bungie, im sick of them reproducing slightly updated copies of the same dead franchise.

Nintendo because i have pretty much hated everything they have done since the WII/DS, MAKE SOME NEW GAMES!!!!!
So if people ask for a type of game they shouldn't make it? Many gamers have been intruduced to the industry by nintendo's casual games and bungie and activision's FPSs. Without them there would be a lot less gamers.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
funguy2121 said:
No, I don't celebrate Christmas because the Pope endorses Christmas and I don't like his views on women, homosexuals and the uterus :p
You obviously didn't get my point...
I'll let you figuire it out for yourself.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
ms_sunlight said:
Macrobstar said:
DJDarque said:
Well only the second post and you've hot the nail on the head, Buy games based on quality not the company that makes them
This whole discussion is rather bizarre in that the idea of boycotting a games company is not one I take very seriously. I boycott companies, certainly, but not because of DRM; I boycott because of sweatshop labour, human rights abuses, murder and exploitation of the third world. I boycott Coca Cola, Nestle, Primark and their ilk. If and when a games company started doing those things I seriously would boycott.

Anyone who says thy never avoid buying something from a particular company because "that's stupid" is uninformed or naive. You may not choose to do it, but it's certainly not stupid; in some cases it's very, very serious business indeed.

When I don't buy a game because the DRM is crap or the company obnoxious I don't think of that as a boycott; I think of it simply as being a smart consumer and putting my money where my mouth is. You wouldn't eat at a restaurant where the staff treated you like crap, would you? Why put money in arseholes' pockets?
Yes exactly, people who think day one dlc is a bad practice obviously haven't seen the child labourers who work for Nike for 10p a day

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
Microsoft. Just the X-Box and associated crap, not their main PC products.

I own a 360 for exactly 2 reasons, Tales of Vesperia and the XBLA indie games. I have yet to find another game on the Xbox worth playing that is not the aforementioned exclusions or ported somewhere else. Before people ask about the hypocrisy here, I got the console as a gift.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Hmm...
Any company that demands I be online to play singleplayer games is out.
Also, Apple. Coz they're destroying the market. And lowering the average IQ level. And coz Jobs is a giant douche.
Also, Sony. See above.

Of course, I may be abusing the fact that downloading stuff off the internet is perfectly legal in my country of residence.
Not that I am implying anything of the sort on this here (US)law abiding site.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
funguy2121 said:
Obviously not, what with...you know what, I lack the energy for the sarcasm. Look at my last characters, how they form a little sideways guy sticking his tongue out at you. That means that I found what you said amusing, and was joking. Do you assume that everyone who jokes around with you and then does the :p thing is daft?

Frank Reading

Mar 30, 2011
First off - Apple.
I bought an iPod touch once and spent half of my time with it trying to escape Apple's insanely oppresive control freak policies, having to become a clandestine hacker type to be able to change my background. It tears me up to see people buying iPhones and macs not realising their signing themselves up to be Jobs' slave... Not to mention how much they abuse their fanbase by releasing a new model of everything every fucking minute, deliberately making giant flaws in products knowing their fanboys will buy everything shiny with an apple logo, even when it's obvious that they are going to release the next generation as soon as they have milked the first one enough.

Next - Crytek. I bought a new GPU just to play Crysis 2. It could have been a masterpiece. And they fucked it up by barely beta testing and releasing a game that still doesnt even save your weapon purchases, and this is months after release! I love Crysis 2 when it's working properly, but ffs, they didnt even have an anti cheat on release! People were hacking with .txt files! It was like they took all the hard work of a great game, then released in 2 months before it was finished! Anyway, I'm not buying anything from them again. You don't get away with that bullshit and expect to have a successful release until you can give customers their hundred dollars worth.

EA - This is not a strict one. I will sometimes buy EA games, but if I can avoid it I wont. They are the Facebook (downs syndrome) of the publisher world. They screw everything up. And the pre order BS on battlefield 3? Give me a break.

Genius - Not a software company, but all their products are crap. Love logitech though.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
funguy2121 said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
funguy2121 said:
Obviously not, what with...you know what, I lack the energy for the sarcasm. Look at my last characters, how they form a little sideways guy sticking his tongue out at you. That means that I found what you said amusing, and was joking. Do you assume that everyone who jokes around with you and then does the :p thing is daft?
God dammit foiled again by the very methods i employ.

At the time that post was written, my brother was taunting me with toast.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
funguy2121 said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
funguy2121 said:
God dammit foiled again by the very methods i employ.

At the time that post was written, my brother was taunting me with toast.
Those damned brothers and their damned toast. At least it wasn't a pop tart.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
ms_sunlight said:
Macrobstar said:
DJDarque said:
This whole discussion is rather bizarre in that the idea of boycotting a games company is not one I take very seriously. I boycott companies, certainly, but not because of DRM; I boycott because of sweatshop labour, human rights abuses, murder and exploitation of the third world.[/i] I boycott Coca Cola, Nestle, Primark and their ilk. If and when a games company started doing those things I seriously would boycott.

These are very just, proper reasons to boycott. I guess to avoid any misconceptions I should narrow the scope of my original statement. I wouldn't refuse to buy a game simply because of the company who develops or publishes it. As far as I'm aware no game companies have commited crimes against humanity. So in this context these reasons are kind of moot.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Activision because they don't innovate and like the OP said, Bobby Kotick is a prick.

EA because they make half a game, leave it full of bugs then send it to the shelf with empty promises of patches.

S.O.E as they just don't care, so they make decent games, look for a means of making more cash or imitating someone else and then wreck said game. Only exception to this is Pirates of the Burning Sea.

T.H.Q I harbor ill feeling toward because of their inability to get a working multiplayer server that actually knows how to negotiate a NAT without forcing me to use steam who charges £30 for games like Dungeon siege 1 (a Win98 title), Dawn of 1 war and again for each expansion (a 2001 game and its successors) and so on.

Steam as explain above as well as its bullshit DRM systems. Example I installed Dawn of war 2 Gold and Retribution and this is what I had to do step for step:

Start installer and do preliminary install (fair enough)

start steam

login to steam

go through the 2 or 3 pages of Eula (fair enough)

put in serial key (fair enough)

install game through steam

Do the mandatory patch (Red alert 3 for example lets you play without patching if you cba with it now and wanna do it later)

start the game

Login to Live (gold edition) or steam (retri)

play and pray that you don't lose your connection else ye be fucked and will have to restart the game and steam.

Remember the good old days when you went:

Disc in, install game, click play, start game > go

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
DJDarque said:
No, it's not, and the number of people agreeing with you baffles me. I would quote them all, but I can't be bothered, so I'll go straight to the source.

While the reasons most gamers (and, quite frankly, the OP) boycott games may be ridiculous, the basic idea is solid.

If, for example, Bethesda's games were manufactured in sweat shops, their workers treated like crap; then it would be perfectly reasonable to refuse them your money, regardless of how good their game was.

As another example, I'm sure you wouldn't buy blood diamonds, however pretty they may look.

Don't let the posters dancing to your tune fool you, it really isn't stupid to do this. It's just stupid to do it for the wrong reasons.

Edit: Ninja'd! Sort of, mostly. Obviously this occured to you, and you were speaking in context. Still, such a blanket statement was bound to attract disagreement, and should have been narrower to begin with.