What did you do...BEFORE the internet?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Trolldor said:
WIindows 3.1 and Ski Free.
Fuck yeah Ski Free.
I will get past the monster....I will get past the monster.....its quiet......hes hiding....its alomost time.......THERE HE IS!!! SKI SKI SKIIIIIIIIIII NOOOOOOO-*crunch* you son of a *****!

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Soccer, and physical activity, believe it or not.

I also played video games a lot, I only started getting internet and forum savvy recently, about 2 years ago? It was about the time I got very stubborn about grammar and spelling, making sure any facts I post are facts and aren't false, knowing most memes, how to use them, how to deal with trolls and what they are, etc. etc.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Life without internet? I can hardly remember what it was like. No, seriously now, I think it was better. Or maybe that's just because I was a kid and everything seemed better then. I like the internet, but I also begin to realize how incompetent some people are. They use internet for everything they can. That's kinda sad. But like everything else in the world, internet has it's flaws.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Vault101 said:
I dont even watch TV, in fact it baffles me how TV can compete with the internet (considering even the crappy state of foxtel/pay TV in Australia, in fact why would you bother? free tv is getting better I supose)
Same here,the TV is almost dead to me. And our free TV is getting... wait for it... WORSE! I don't know how, but it is. And DSTV isn't great either. More channels =/= more worth watching, it just means that you have to wade through more crap to find the good stuff.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Born in 1990, so before the internet became viable for the average person i was still playing outside with friends. I also spent a lot of time playing Game Boy Color/Playstation/PC games and reading books before i started to use the interwebs on a regular basis (around 12).

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
I remember the times before the internet, cellphones and flatscreen tv's with a remote. I was born in 1980, so the world was much bigger back then. The only real feedback I got about the rest of the world was through my 8 channel TV or the newspaper. My vacations mostly took place in France and I thought that that was the biggest country of them all.

All that really has changed is the way I (and the rest of humanity) communicates and how much smaller the world has became. Heck, I met my girlfriend online and she is from Hungary (I am Dutch) and I've been to Hungary so many times that I consider it a weekend trip.

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
smearyllama said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
smearyllama said:
When I was a kid, I ignored the wonders of modern technology, and insisted that the Gamecube would always be the greatest thing evar. This changed in fourth grade, when I got a wii.

Then that was the best thing evar, until I bought an Xbox (original) in fifth grade, and Morrowind blew my little mind.

That's sort of what happened when I discovered the internet, and spent an incredible amount of time on Homestarrunner.com, which is still the greatest site on the planet.
Well, I feel really old now. I was only a couple of years older than you are now when the gamecube was released.
Well hey there, old timer!

You need your walker?

I can get you some prune juice, if you need some.

I got a shower stool for ya', so you don't have to worry about slipping in the tub!

Seriously, though. I remember when it truly was the most amazing thing ever.
Remember Animal Crossing?
I played tons of that.
Remember the magic that was Metroid Prime, I mean my God how brilliant was that game...and Eternal Darkness one of the underrated gems of the Gamecube?

Anyway, honestly this is a great question because it frightens me to think of a life without the internet. As a child I played football ALL the time, it's a shame I quit when I did because I would love to be an overpaid useless moron like most of the players in Man City. Apart from that there was the SNES, the N64 and then the gamecube. It annoys me how many amazing games I missed on the SNES and the N64 but I was only young so how was I supposed to know?

Interesting fact also that happened during the Gamecube era; I used to always read Nintendo Official Magazine UK for reviews and game related stuff. When they reviewed Mario Kart Double Dash and gave it a 90% I naturally went and bought it...and it was shit. And I couldn't figure out why I didn't like it because thus far this magazine helped but I now know I experienced my first diversion of personal opinion. Now a couple of years on here I am as cynical as one can be and I haven't enjoyed a game for...a good 3 years, sad really.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Before the Internet, hmm. I remember I used to play on my N64, me and some friends near where I lived used to meet up (we'd cycle or run to each others houses, we didn't even know if they'd be in but hey we didn't have mobiles haha!) and then play Goldeneye for hours.

I'm sure I used to do other things but I can't remember what they are...

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I used to climb trees, have fights with the local boys, and I had this family...thing I used to play with, if I remember correctly.

alimination602

Apr 14, 2009
Same story really- i used to play N64, TV, hang out with my mates and only ever really used the internet ocassionally for work.

Especially since i grew up in a remote village in England and for most of my life the modem would take atleast an hour just to get a connection, even then it was pretty slow. Now i'm at Uni on the edge of London and not only does it work instantly it's considerably faster and i use it everyday for pretty much anything i need- watching videos, ordering games, communicating etc.

There are so many things i wouldn't know about or be able to do if it weren't for the internet. Writing this for a start...

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I've had internet since I was seven, so I don't really remember what I did before then.
I think I played on my old Gameboy or something.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Thank god that I was gaming then, but without the internet today, we could ALL die!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I used to be one heck of a couch potato manily watching any cartoon shows on back then well I'm still doing it to this day but with the internet instead (and the fact that I got no live channel in my tv in my room reinforce my used on the internet).