What did you do...BEFORE the internet?

mew1234321

Oct 15, 2009
TriggerHappyAngel said:
There was this world, which we kids used to call "The outside".
We used to play there and have fun, but now it's forgotten.
Whoah. Tell me more of this mystical place. It sounds a little scary.

Me? I basically grew up with the Internet, but before I had access to it, I watched a crapload of T.V.

That's basically it.

I don't think it's any wonder I'm as messed up as I am today.

NERDS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

P.S When my internet cuts out, usually during the holidays when I spend hours upon hours at my desktop, I occasionally entertain myself with other things, like 'friends' or my guitar.

Those times are rare and far between though.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
Before, I didn't use the internet? If I had to check something, I walked to the library. If I got stuck in a game, I stuck it on the shelf. Having access to the internet didn't really alter my life too much. Just didn't have to bother with a lot of menial tasks.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I was outside, playing and getting exercise and just having friends. Only some few times did I actually remain inside.

Now it's rather the opposite. Sniff.

Captcha; Library furen

Archeopterix

Jun 28, 2004
In the early 90's we ould use locally hosted dial up BBS's, prior to that you had to go out and looks for friends in reality. Scary I know. I read books, did art with pen and ink or paint, rode and took care of horses, volunteered at the cancer hospital.

mythlover20

Jul 8, 2010
Books. Lots and lots of books which has continued into my adulthood, as is testified by my 700+ personal library.

Mmm. Need more, I think.

Chani07

Sep 26, 2010
I used to play tennis professionally (from 10 to 17), and well, before that karate. And at the same time other sports. Aaaand in my free time, i would read books, roller skate, play games on my PC, watched movies and cartoons. And hang out with a neighbor during weekends.

I started having internet at home when i was 15.
And i didn't quit tennis because of the internet. I just had some health issues and i couldn't continue.

EDIT: Now i read more than before. As in books, not stuff on the internet.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JourneyMan88 said:
Born in '67...
the 70's: rode my bike EVERYWHERE, played war (that's like an FPS, but outside) with toy guns that were virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. I remember getting these things, one was a VCR, is was 2 pieces, each weighed about 30 pounds, and a Magnavox Odyssey, and the gamer in me was awakened.
the 80's: upgraded to the Atari 2600 and continued to ride my bike until I got my license. Would hang out at the arcade at the local mall until it closed, then my friends and I would head to a 7-11 that always had a couple of the latest video games in the outcove.
the 90's: computer gaming ruled the day. Got my degree in computer programming, and I'm back in school now for video game design.
you started gaming with the odessey?

wow...I mean wow from what Ive seen of that thing it was more like a boardgame/video game hybrid?

anyway hats off too you for sticking to your controller for so long

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
smearyllama said:
When I was a kid, I ignored the wonders of modern technology, and insisted that the Gamecube would always be the greatest thing evar. This changed in fourth grade, when I got a wii.

Then that was the best thing evar, until I bought an Xbox (original) in fifth grade, and Morrowind blew my little mind.

That's sort of what happened when I discovered the internet, and spent an incredible amount of time on Homestarrunner.com, which is still the greatest site on the planet.
You got a Wii in fourth grade?!

Fuck I'm getting old.

I got a PlayStation in 5th Grade.

Wow.

Before the internet I watched TV and read Goosebumps and Animorphs.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Got internet at the start of '97 when I was nearly 6 so I do remember not having it. Before I watched more TV and played games like Doom, F/A-18 Hornet and System Shock. After we got it I started to play more online browser based games.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I spent about 200 dollars on books a month then we realized it was cheaper to upgrade from dial up with its, lets spend an hour loading a 20 second clip!, then to keep buying all those books... Easier on the shelves to, used to have 6 walls covered with books, now we only have 3 and a half! Because no one returns a book when they borrow it ><
But ya, no matter what theres gonna be something to occupy my spare time, not one hundred percent sure which is time better spent but meh who cares.
*only upgraded from dial up a couple of months ago cuz my internet provider stopped providing it... lol*

huh I just read some of the previous posts and I'm beginning to think this thread was actually put up to see just how hard the guys who make Legos got hit by the invention of the net, I also played with legos before the net... coincidence!?!