What do people think about Bioware right now?

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Well, look at it this way. If your girlfriend gets bitten by a zombie or a vampire or somethin', she might still be shambling around, and you might still fondly recall the great times you had together, and she'll still have those great boobs, but you have to keep in mind that she is essentially, and irrevocably, dead.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Anthraxus said:
LordOfAllHeSurveys said:
I personally love all bioware games. Yeah dragon age 2 wasn't the greatest, but it had the choice of having lesbians sex with your character.
This seems to be the main draw of their games now
Yea. The only press games should get for scenes like that are from over-active, ignorant CNN reporters. Not from the actual company or their fans. It's nice they they don't discriminate, but I don't really care if there's scissoring in my games. It's nice, but that's about it.

edczxcvbnm

Jul 15, 2011
Bioware games have always been a nice core of sloppy RPG adventurism. By sloppy I mean that the inventory system was a god damned mess much like a high kid's backpack. I didn't mind. Sell what you don't need as you get better junk. I like most of the games and Mass Effect 1 was a blast (I don't care what people say, I like roaming around on those pointless moons and planets). My only problem with the game is I couldn't figure out what response I was giving would do. There are times when you select the asshole option and he makes a snarky remark and other times when he decks the reporter in the face. Can't I just deck everyone in the face?

I skipped DA2 after all the hate rained down upon it as I thought Mass Effect 2 was shit. If DA2 was aiming to capture the Call of Duty crowd then to me ME2 was aiming for the Gears of War crowd. I felt the RPG had been ripped out and it was just a shooter with minimal stats so they could still claim RPG. You spent the whole game going around can assembling a crew and then go on one mission and it is over. Oceans 11 assembles a crew in the first 20 minutes of the damn movie because that is the boring part. You no longer needed to worry about a sloppy inventory because you didn't get an inventory or at least not a significant one.

Fuck ME3. It looks even worse than ME2.

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Well we could all just blame EA and be happy. Seriously, I think many of the problems come from EA making deadlines and controlling resource distribution. They are notorious for ruining good companies they buy out, and while I had hoped it wouldn't happen with Bioware it seems that unless EA allows them to go back to one, maybe two, games at a time they will continue to be stretched too thin and burn out. Let them do their thing, after all it worked for years before right? Hopefully EA will become so annoying that the main Bioware team will leave and reform another company.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Snotnarok said:
How do I feel? They're a developer who make good RPGs with over priced hoodies and stuff. I don't get why people hold favoritism with companies.
Yeah! I also don't get why people follow authors. Or directors. Or musicians.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I have nothing but heart and a 3lb bag of jolly ranchers. ((<3 blue ones))

I like where Bioware is. Sure, id like to see them go back towards their roots and make a real oldschool RPG, but im happy with what i have. DA:2 wasnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Its not a good sequel, but that doesnt mean its not a decent game. And i have nothing but hearts ((and a 3lb bag of jolly ranchers)) for the mass effect series. 3 might change that, but we'll cross that road ((with jolly ranchers)) when we get there. ((so good))

In short, Bioware and 3lb bags of jolly ranchers are both fine with me at the moment.

LordOfAllHeSurveys

Jan 4, 2012
edczxcvbnm said:
Bioware games have always been a nice core of sloppy RPG adventurism. By sloppy I mean that the inventory system was a god damned mess much like a high kid's backpack. I didn't mind. Sell what you don't need as you get better junk. I like most of the games and Mass Effect 1 was a blast (I don't care what people say, I like roaming around on those pointless moons and planets). My only problem with the game is I couldn't figure out what response I was giving would do. There are times when you select the asshole option and he makes a snarky remark and other times when he decks the reporter in the face. Can't I just deck everyone in the face?

I skipped DA2 after all the hate rained down upon it as I thought Mass Effect 2 was shit. If DA2 was aiming to capture the Call of Duty crowd then to me ME2 was aiming for the Gears of War crowd. I felt the RPG had been ripped out and it was just a shooter with minimal stats so they could still claim RPG. You spent the whole game going around can assembling a crew and then go on one mission and it is over. Oceans 11 assembles a crew in the first 20 minutes of the damn movie because that is the boring part. You no longer needed to worry about a sloppy inventory because you didn't get an inventory or at least not a significant one.

Fuck ME3. It looks even worse than ME2.

Wow someone didn't look at the ME3 trailer. And yes I agree that the gameplay is usually shit, but I like a story to have a little more than shoot more different colored skin dudes because America is Awesome.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Xangba said:
Well we could all just blame EA and be happy. Seriously, I think many of the problems come from EA making deadlines and controlling resource distribution. They are notorious for ruining good companies they buy out, and while I had hoped it wouldn't happen with Bioware it seems that unless EA allows them to go back to one, maybe two, games at a time they will continue to be stretched too thin and burn out. Let them do their thing, after all it worked for years before right? Hopefully EA will become so annoying that the main Bioware team will leave and reform another company.
I'd love if that happened.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
So we know Bioware is typically good at making RPGs but keep in mind that they're a company so there's a chance that other people can come onboard that are specialized in different aspects.

Anyone remember MDK2? That was a third person platformer/shooter. It wasn't half bad even with what context they had to work with.

Yeah, I do agree that DA2 is a blight to level/quest designers everywhere. I wished that they're wern't pushed that hard like many other developers which wind up with poor results.

Vindictus

Apr 3, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
What is the point of releasing a video if we suddenly aren't allowed to make assumptions based off it? It's the same thing with a demo. They are used to give you an idea of what the game is going to be like.

What I see there is a game so caught up with its fancy visuals that the gameplay seems trite in comparison.

What I saw in the Dragon Age 2 Demo was a steaming hunk of shit. Sorry the world doesn't conform to your opinion.
I never said you can't make assumptions.

You're leaping to conclusions again, as we haven't seen a whole lot of the gameplay in ME3 yet. I was attacking you on the notion of judging a game's gameplay based upon a trailer released purely to excite people through the use of the reaper and the thresher maw.

It's good to know you're firmly on the bandwagon, though. I didn't love DA2 and DA:O was more enjoyable, but steaming hunk of shit? Hah, alright.

Vindictus

Apr 3, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
You are right. I apologize. Let me step back on my previous statement and clarify: SWTOR is a WoW clone most of the time, and when its not copying WoW, its completely shit. The whole "story" thing feels hilariously out of place, at times making the game essentially a single player affair (which begs the question as to why the fuck the game needs to be an MMO), and otherwise feeling extremely silly because the quests still boil down to gather 10 robot scraps.

Combat is a mediocre affair, unimaginative and boring, which is quite some achievement considering you can run around with a friggin lightsaber. How the hell do you manage to make lightsaber combat boring? Then theres that horrible delay on certain abilities which... Uh. Terrible.

But hey, whats an MMO without considering all the important, Massively Multiplayer stuff, like the economy and interaction with other players! Well, the SWTOR team obviously didnt think much of it, putting you into your own little 10 player world 90% of the time (massively multiplayer? I think not) and keeping an iron grip on the economy, making you feel as though you are playing the game in some nightmarish soviet Russia crossed with Star Wars setting.

I havent tried out stuff like PvP yet, but I dont doubt its a complete pile of crap, judging by the rest of the game.

Its unfortunate, because this game really did have the potential to turn out good and steal a large chunk of WoW's playerbase, but a number of bad decisions put a stop to that quickly. Alas, the wait for Guild Wars 2 continues.

(So, who wants to bet on when SWTOR goes F2P? My moneys on about a year.)
Well, your first two paragraphs are packed with opinions and lies. As for world instances, they can be easily switched and exist solely to relieve stress on certain areas within the game. The game is more enjoyable if you're able to get your quests done and see some people walking about, as opposed to areas being incredibly packed and choked up for a long time, yes?

Admitting to not having experienced PvP is a mistake. Is it because you never reached level 10, or did you just intentionally ignore PvP?

I think SWTOR will carry on fine, albeit without me, as I'm done with MMORPGs. I still don't understand why so many people are determined to shovel garbage on the game, even after release. I doubt Guild Wars 2 will be anything remarkable either. MMORPGs are MMORPGs, and nothing will change that.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
The7Sins said:
Save your money. Wait a couple days after its release and go onto any Wiki of that game to read its plot and how it ends. Its what I will do.

As for me Bioware has been ruined by EA. The last good game they released that I played was ME1. (though DA:O looks good but I never got it)
Me2 however was a steaming pile of shit that ruined the Mass Effect franchise for me. And from what I have read Dragon Age 2 did the same to its franchise's fans. Both of those piece of shit games on top of now needing all new games to require that glorified spyware Orgin means Bioware as a company has been corrupted by the beast known as EA.
They are now dead to me as is every other thing EA touches.
I'm a little unclear on this - Does ME3 absolutely positively 100% require Origin? I know the collector's edition does, and if the vanilla game does I'll do exactly that.

On the other hand, the completionist in me does want to actually finish it. There's a huge difference between seeing the termibaby at the end of ME2 and just hearing about it, in that the former is about a hundred times funnier.

That said, there's no way in hell they can make ME3 good enough that I'll ever buy another of their products. I'm invested in its story, but Bioware as a whole is dead to me, and I don't just blame EA for this. I've seen the writers talk about stuff and it's quite clear that they're more than enough to sabotage the company on their own, whether it be "I want a button to skip gameplay" or "We're not going to let player choice get in the way of the story we want to tell" or even "we didn't let you switch out armour in DA2 because not enough people cosplayed as the characters".

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Dethenger said:
Snotnarok said:
How do I feel? They're a developer who make good RPGs with over priced hoodies and stuff. I don't get why people hold favoritism with companies.
Yeah! I also don't get why people follow authors. Or directors. Or musicians.
That's a BIT different I mean that's a person so you can sort of relate to them, however a company, Bioware, Nintendo whatever is a company and they want your money and have no real interest in you the lowly consumer you know?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Bioware games have become far too formuliac. I broke down and purchased SWTOR, and I sorta hate it. Why? Because the gameplay is (as expected) WoW all over again, and everything else (story, characters, dialogue, etc.) is Bioware 101. They take no fucking chances anymore. If you haven't been slogging through the ME/DA series, maybe it's not so goddamn tedious. But for me? It's honestly hard to stomach. I find myself whipping through all of the predictable, cliched dialogue as quickly as possible just so I can get back to playing the game... only the game part was lifted entirely from another MMO I played five years ago.

Bioware badly needs a "return to form" game. Something dark and strange and inventive that doesn't conform to their current template.

risue

Apr 3, 2010
Bioware use to be one of my favorite developers, they have gone down sense for a few reasons. The biggest reason is not because of DA2, EA or their business model (which may or may not be related to EA) The biggest issue Ive had is their quality of writing in their games. And to be fair, with as broad of a scope as they put on their games, I can imagine that writing these games can be really difficult. But I still don't see that as an excuse to use the same plot device 7 times in one game as they did in ME2. "Shepard meets person X, person X seems somewhat shifty but they work together, at an important moment person X betrays Shepard, Shepard fights his/her way out" (SPOILERS though.. its been out for a year and a half.. whatevs) obtaining Jack (the warden) , Miranda's loyalty (niket), Willson in the begining, Illusive man (on several occasions though indirectly), Jacob's father (also indirectly), the Arrival DLC, the beginning of the shadow broker's DLC, and several other instances both big and small... all with the same plot structure. Dont get me wrong though, it was a fun game, i enjoyed it and played through it at least 6 times, super fun. But the writing... i'm all for a good plot twist but they got predictable.

I am also annoied at how... "merchandise-y" they have gotten. I dont want mass effect or dragon age toilet paper, plush dolls, or hand towels (I really hope at least one person got the reference) I just want them to make good games, and love them for making games I like. and the whole Bioware pulse thing??? what? I guess that appeals to some.. but just give me the fancy behind the senses interesting bit and let it stand on it's own awesomeness no need to jazz it up with jellybeans.

now i never played DA2, loved DA:O but DA2 looked like a flop from the beginning teasers and screenshots so aside from that i cant legitimately give it criticism, and there is already plenty of it out there, which in and of itself does enough to bring BioWare down.

ME3 is what BioWare's reputation as a developer is hinging on for me (and apparently a lot of people) those who think that's dumb... well, there are plenty of people who see it that way so while it may be somewhat arbitrary its real enough for me. That being said, i never got into the C&C games so regardless of how good ME3 is... i will not be playing the new one. that means after ME3 it will be a while before i buy from BioWare again.

EA also has its fair share of "bleh" to add to BioWare.. I have been very unimpressed by Origin. call me a Steam/Valve fanboy if you want, ive got roughly 100 games on steam, i like it there. Using Origin wont be the end of the world but it wont get any business from me otherwise. still is an annoying "meh" that i'll have ME 1 and 2 on steam but ME3 on Origin.

anywho that's my two cents on Bioware

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and say it, I love Bioware games, I like the games they make.

I think the problem a lot of people are making here, is that they are comparing them to other Bioware games, and demanding that they live up to this invisible standard. I think they are fun and enjoyable games and should be judged as games.

Honestly, that's what we are all here to do, enjoy ourselves playing video games, not stare at it and be, "now that's a piece of art." Now if you excuse me, I have to go take a shower, so many snobs around it's making me feel dirty.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Bioware is EA's most powerful brand right now in terms of critical reception.

However, there's signs that Bioware is beginning to crack under EA.

ME3 and DA3 will be the turning point for many Bioware fans.

If ME3 turns out to be another DA2, Bioware's reputation would be utterly done for. An overreaction? Not quite as Bioware's standing among many people have become downright shaky especially considering the company's former near-perfect reputation.

DA3 will need to prove that it's a return to form and that they haven't forgotten the old RPG crowd.
ME3 needs to prove that Bioware can balance the hardcore/mainstream.

That said, Bioware HAS been way overstreched. 4-5 different teams? One of them will just eventually drop the ball. Even top developers like Blizzard and Valve aren't making 3-4 games at the same time.