What do you think are the most overrated video games of all time?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
dscross said:
It means to have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved, which is FINE for people to criticise if they are being reviewed.
I just find utterly pointless (and in extreme cases depressing) to criticize positive opinions about games (in the best of the cases it's just you and the critic having different opinions on what it's important in a game). How do you even define the level of opinion a game deserves from other people? Not even in game criticism there is an universal guideline for such thing (the closest is each critic's personal guideline, which rarely is taken into consideration when people use the word "overrated").

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
As much as I hate the whole "your favorite game is shit" attitude that so often comes with this kind of thread, I have to admit I didn't like pretty much any of Valve's games as much as the hype made me think I would. The sole exceptions are TF2 and Portal 2, with TF2 being...well...TF2 (granted I think it's great but not exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I've lost interest in it lately) and I hold the unpopular opinion that Portal 2 was better than Portal 1, mainly because I feel like it works better due to GLaDOS not just talking to herself (essentially) and the writing being a lot funnier and the puzzles a lot more interesting.

None of Valve's games are really bad, but I don't care for DOTA, Half-Life was just ok, L4D was repetitive as all hell, and Counter-Strike felt like being thrown into the middle of the Hunger Games, and while I got some fun out of it, it's a little too "you just went from 100% health to zero in half a second" for me, and Portal was a cool proof of concept that felt more like a prologue to the next game more than anything else.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Not many. I usually don't like dumping on things other people just happen to like, it always strikes me as kind of pretentious and stuck up. However, there are 3 games that stuck out to me as being much less enjoyable or engaging than I expected based on their very high levels of critical praise and love from the community.

First two are CoD Modern Warfare 1 and 2. I did think MW1 had a decent multiplayer mode, but I thought single player was just okay. I thought the second was offensively dumb, and I really didn't like how they threw in a nonsensical scene where you kill a bunch of people in an airport just so they could get controversy press.

The other game was GTA 4, which is one of the highest rated games of all time. Like MW1, it's not awful, but it's got a Metacritic rating of 98% (tied for second highest of all time) and I just really couldn't believe how immature it was. It had a big city, but there wasn't much to do in it that was that enjoyable and the story in it was really poor and unfocused with a bunch of unlikeable and uninteresting characters. It felt like it was written by an inexperienced teenager. The main gameplay also just seemed like a run of the mill 3rd person gallery shooter except with a lock on. I was so disappointed by it that I still haven't played GTA 5.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CaitSeith said:
dscross said:
It means to have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved, which is FINE for people to criticise if they are being reviewed.
I just find utterly pointless (and in extreme cases depressing) to criticize positive opinions about games (in the best of the cases it's just you and the critic having different opinions on what it's important in a game). How do you even define the level of opinion a game deserves from other people? Not even in game criticism there is an universal guideline for such thing (the closest is each critic's personal guideline, which rarely is taken into consideration when people use the word "overrated").
Do you think it's worth criticising, say, IGN, or is that utterly pointless too?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Most of the classics in the 1997-2002 era. Half Life, System Shock, Morrowind, etc

There's some ambition and stuff, and they're kind of notable in a historical sense. But most have terrible implementation of a lot of their ideas that doesn't really work out, and not much polish by any later standard. Then visually they're prettymuch awful as they're stuck in a horrible transitional point graphically. Sound design is nonexistent, and even the games that had coherent writing were still generally afterthough generic levels.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I don't understand how Pokemon can still captivate people after all these years.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Imre Csete said:
I don't understand how Pokemon can still captivate people after all these years.
It features collecting, something most people like to some extent or another, and is the ultimate 'pick up and play' RPG, with simple enough mechanics that one can grasp almost immediately, and just barely enough complexity to allow for some degree of competitiveness. Throw in the cute aesthetic and the social nature of the game and bam, instant (And one would think obvious) appeal.

That being said, the Pokemon franchise's 'main game' sales have been in free fall since it was released. But when your opening move is over 31 million in sales, you gotta way to fall before you're non-profitable.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
DefunctTheory said:
stroopwafel said:
DefunctTheory said:
Only game I can think of I feel is overrated and people will agree with me sooner or later is Dark Souls 3. Personally hated it with every fiber of my being, but I still understand why others did like it. But I think that, in 5 years, people are going to view it a lot worse than how they view it now - As others do Dark Souls style games and let you scratch that itch, it's level flaws, pacing, and truly boring visuals are going to get more and more obvious and harder to ignore.

Dark Souls 3 is probably in my top 5 games of all time, right next to Bloodborne. The art direction, the atmosphere, the combat, the enemy variety, the stage design; there is really not a single part of DkS3 that I don't love. I played all the 'Souls' games in chronological order but there is just a flow and smoothness to both Bloodborne and DkS3 that really sets them apart. Though, DkS3 feels more like 'Bloodborne with knights' but that is probably the reason I love it so much. :p So much insane creativity and imagination in both those games.
I'm not going to try and argue you into not liking it (A futile endeavor, and kind of a dick move even if it was possible), but I can honestly say that I have NO idea what you mean. The level layout was terrible (And the switch away from a branching world a major misstep), the visuals were so bland my eyes literally glazed over while I was playing on several occasions, and everything was about as smooth as a gravel smoothie.

And I of course wont get into the gameplay, as I think it's the most defensible part of the game, even though I hated it more than I've ever hated anything in a video game.

Never played Bloodborne, as I don't have a PS4. But once people started comparing DS3 with Bloodborne, it killed any urge I had to buy the system.

For someone to hate a game that much, would almost certainly have to have a personal basis for doing so. As such, you must have played the other Souls games as well then? If so, did you also hate them, but not quite as much, or love them to death and think that DS3 crapped all over them in some way?

If you haven't played them, how did you grow to hate this one so much? It's the only one I haven't played yet so am asking out of curiosity more than anything. It seems to be perfectly playable with excellent attention to detail artistically, great music, boss designs, etc. Not trying to convince you to like it, but objectively speaking find it difficult to fathom it's as bad as you make it sound.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
DefunctTheory said:
stroopwafel said:
DefunctTheory said:
Only game I can think of I feel is overrated and people will agree with me sooner or later is Dark Souls 3. Personally hated it with every fiber of my being, but I still understand why others did like it. But I think that, in 5 years, people are going to view it a lot worse than how they view it now - As others do Dark Souls style games and let you scratch that itch, it's level flaws, pacing, and truly boring visuals are going to get more and more obvious and harder to ignore.

Dark Souls 3 is probably in my top 5 games of all time, right next to Bloodborne. The art direction, the atmosphere, the combat, the enemy variety, the stage design; there is really not a single part of DkS3 that I don't love. I played all the 'Souls' games in chronological order but there is just a flow and smoothness to both Bloodborne and DkS3 that really sets them apart. Though, DkS3 feels more like 'Bloodborne with knights' but that is probably the reason I love it so much. :p So much insane creativity and imagination in both those games.
I'm not going to try and argue you into not liking it (A futile endeavor, and kind of a dick move even if it was possible), but I can honestly say that I have NO idea what you mean. The level layout was terrible (And the switch away from a branching world a major misstep), the visuals were so bland my eyes literally glazed over while I was playing on several occasions, and everything was about as smooth as a gravel smoothie.

And I of course wont get into the gameplay, as I think it's the most defensible part of the game, even though I hated it more than I've ever hated anything in a video game.

Never played Bloodborne, as I don't have a PS4. But once people started comparing DS3 with Bloodborne, it killed any urge I had to buy the system.

For someone to hate a game that much, would almost certainly have to have a personal basis for doing so. As such, you must have played the other Souls games as well then? If so, did you also hate them, but not quite as much, or love them to dwarf and think that DS3 what all over them in some way?

If you haven't played them, how did you grow to hate this one so much? It's the only one I haven't played yet so am asking out of curiosity more than anything. It seems to be perfectly playable with excellent attention to detail artistically, great music, boss designs, etc. Not trying to convince you to like it, but objectively speaking find it difficult to fathom it's as bad as you make it sound.
I loved Demons Souls (It was flawed, but it was so novel that it was easy to overlook all it's problems at the time), loved Dark Souls (Damn well nearly resolved all of Demon's Souls problems while improving in several other areas), couldn't really get into Dark Souls 2 (For a variety of minor, but accumulative reasons), and hated Dark Souls 3 (Seemingly the only person in existence to do so).

As for the gameplay, its suffice to say that I found it terrible, but I see why people like it, in the same way that I find Overwatch to be a completely uninteresting, yet somehow frustrating game but totally understand why others find it so enjoyable. I'm just going to cut it off there, as I think going further would turn this thread into what most 'What's Overrated' threads eventually turn into, but I don't want to be responsible for it this time.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
dscross said:
CaitSeith said:
dscross said:
Do you think it's worth criticising, say, IGN, or is that utterly pointless too?
Criticizing positive reviews from IGN is as pointless as criticizing YouTubers for their positive reviews. It has more merit to criticize the written contracts with publishers for positive opinions (which usually are games that already have lots hype and marketing behind them). It isn't about the game deserving higher level of opinions or not.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
After '05 it's more a question of which games aren't overrated to me.

Known games & series I find overrated:
GTA 3 and sequels.
Oblivion and sequels.
Deus Ex Infinite War and sequels.
Call of Duty 2 and sequels.
Assassins Creed and sequels.
Fallout 3 and sequels.
Dark Souls(-esque).
Diablo 3.

..and I'll just stop there, or we'll be here a while.

I may sound cynical and bitter, and it's true, but I expected games to get better..
Better games that is, and not simply prettier or more movie-like.
Gaming is now no more than a money-making machine for big corporations and the focus has therefore shifted to consoles.
With all the drawbacks that applies to that format.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hawki said:
-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (average game, enjoyable, nothing too special)
I agree. its mediocre game overall with shitty combat, bad controlling and camera. wall running was cool thought.

still better game than POP 08.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
DefunctTheory said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
DefunctTheory said:
stroopwafel said:
DefunctTheory said:

For someone to hate a game that much, would almost certainly have to have a personal basis for doing so. As such, you must have played the other Souls games as well then? If so, did you also hate them, but not quite as much, or love them to dwarf and think that DS3 what all over them in some way?

I loved Demons Souls (It was flawed, but it was so novel that it was easy to overlook all it's problems at the time), loved Dark Souls (Damn well nearly resolved all of Demon's Souls problems while improving in several other areas), couldn't really get into Dark Souls 2 (For a variety of minor, but accumulative reasons), and hated Dark Souls 3 (Seemingly the only person in existence to do so).

As for the gameplay, its suffice to say that I found it terrible, but I see why people like it, in the same way that I find Overwatch to be a completely uninteresting, yet somehow frustrating game but totally understand why others find it so enjoyable. I'm just going to cut it off there, as I think going further would turn this thread into what most 'What's Overrated' threads eventually turn into, but I don't want to be responsible for it this time.

No you're almost certainly not alone, because I've heard almost unanimously that 3 was a disappointment, especially by Miyazaki standards. I would say its overall standing seems to be hovering around DS2's but for different reasons (unimaginative been there-done that feel, "ruined" poise stat, and short being the biggest). To me it seems most of those criticisms might've been assuaged if the series wasn't fatigued, or released in reverse order.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've always thought the new Tomb Raider games were incredibly overrated. There is literally nothing special about them and it doesn't excel at anything. The shooting? Fine. The platforming? All clearly defined handholding. The puzzles? For children. The story? Bland.

I understand being interested in a new take on Lara and her transformation from a pair of walking breasts into an actual person, but the new Lara isn't interesting in her own right either.

Another one I'm playing right now is Hollow Knight. Well, sort of playing. I find myself drifting further and further away. Reviewers have been calling it the best thing since sliced bread. A side scrolling Souls inspired game with amazing atmosphere and combat. All I feel like I'm playing is yet another indie side scroller with the same old combat that takes every chance it can get to say "LOOK, LOOK AT THIS AND FEEL SOMETHING. ISN'T THIS SAD?"

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Skyrim.

It just bores me. The combat is shoddy, the charecters are wooden, the pacing is terrible, the world is generic, the story is laughable.

I guess the exploring that grabs people is wasted on me.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
hanselthecaretaker said:
Here's the problem. 8/10 is average for games review, 9/10 is good. 10/10 is great, excellent, incredible and astounding. Its the reviewers using the numbering system wrong. IMO 9/10 should be an excellent. I'd agree most on these don't deserve my 9/10

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
DefunctTheory said:
Dark souls stuff
As a person who ended up hate played Dark Souls 1, I ended up not minding DS3. There were a bunch of decisions that punished exploration in DS1 (i.e. you first three ways to go from Firelink). In fact, I tell everyone I know who maybe be interested in the game, go check out Let's Plays or get a Sherpa to tell you exactly where to go. I like things like the berg's elevator but the cost was too great.

I still think the layout of Dark Souls 2 was better, as you can go two ways from the start and it doesn't matter.

OP: GTA. I have always thought they made an enjoyable game (GTA 2) into a boring open world game. I played about 20hrs of GTA3 and have never looked back

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CaitSeith said:
dscross said:
CaitSeith said:
dscross said:
Criticizing positive reviews from IGN is as pointless as criticizing YouTubers for their positive reviews. It has more merit to criticize the written contracts with publishers for positive opinions (which usually are games that already have lots hype and marketing behind them). It isn't about the game deserving higher level of opinions or not.
So you never criticise any positive reviews ever? And reviews or criticism of them don't have an impact on anyone, the industry or future games? Is that what you are telling me?