What do you think are the most overrated video games of all time?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
trunkage said:
DefunctTheory said:
Dark souls stuff
As a person who ended up hate played Dark Souls 1, I ended up not minding DS3. There were a bunch of decisions that punished exploration in DS1 (i.e. you first three ways to go from Firelink). In fact, I tell everyone I know who maybe be interested in the game, go check out Let's Plays or get a Sherpa to tell you exactly where to go. I like things like the berg's elevator but the cost was too great.
I made it to about a minute away from Pinwheel before realizing the Skeleton Area was NOT the starting area.

...But yes, that first split is a killer.

hanselthecaretaker said:
DefunctTheory said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
DefunctTheory said:
stroopwafel said:
DefunctTheory said:
Only game I can think of I feel is overrated and people will agree with me sooner or later is Dark Souls 3. Personally hated it with every fiber of my being, but I still understand why others did like it. But I think that, in 5 years, people are going to view it a lot worse than how they view it now - As others do Dark Souls style games and let you scratch that itch, it's level flaws, pacing, and truly boring visuals are going to get more and more obvious and harder to ignore.

Dark Souls 3 is probably in my top 5 games of all time, right next to Bloodborne. The art direction, the atmosphere, the combat, the enemy variety, the stage design; there is really not a single part of DkS3 that I don't love. I played all the 'Souls' games in chronological order but there is just a flow and smoothness to both Bloodborne and DkS3 that really sets them apart. Though, DkS3 feels more like 'Bloodborne with knights' but that is probably the reason I love it so much. :p So much insane creativity and imagination in both those games.
I'm not going to try and argue you into not liking it (A futile endeavor, and kind of a dick move even if it was possible), but I can honestly say that I have NO idea what you mean. The level layout was terrible (And the switch away from a branching world a major misstep), the visuals were so bland my eyes literally glazed over while I was playing on several occasions, and everything was about as smooth as a gravel smoothie.

And I of course wont get into the gameplay, as I think it's the most defensible part of the game, even though I hated it more than I've ever hated anything in a video game.

Never played Bloodborne, as I don't have a PS4. But once people started comparing DS3 with Bloodborne, it killed any urge I had to buy the system.

For someone to hate a game that much, would almost certainly have to have a personal basis for doing so. As such, you must have played the other Souls games as well then? If so, did you also hate them, but not quite as much, or love them to dwarf and think that DS3 what all over them in some way?

If you haven't played them, how did you grow to hate this one so much? It's the only one I haven't played yet so am asking out of curiosity more than anything. It seems to be perfectly playable with excellent attention to detail artistically, great music, boss designs, etc. Not trying to convince you to like it, but objectively speaking find it difficult to fathom it's as bad as you make it sound.
I loved Demons Souls (It was flawed, but it was so novel that it was easy to overlook all it's problems at the time), loved Dark Souls (Damn well nearly resolved all of Demon's Souls problems while improving in several other areas), couldn't really get into Dark Souls 2 (For a variety of minor, but accumulative reasons), and hated Dark Souls 3 (Seemingly the only person in existence to do so).

As for the gameplay, its suffice to say that I found it terrible, but I see why people like it, in the same way that I find Overwatch to be a completely uninteresting, yet somehow frustrating game but totally understand why others find it so enjoyable. I'm just going to cut it off there, as I think going further would turn this thread into what most 'What's Overrated' threads eventually turn into, but I don't want to be responsible for it this time.

No you're almost certainly not alone, because I've heard almost unanimously that 3 was a disappointment, especially by Miyazaki standards. I would say its overall standing seems to be hovering around DS2's but for different reasons (unimaginative been there-done that feel, "ruined" poise stat, and short being the biggest).

To me it seems most of those criticisms might've been assuaged if the series wasn't fatigued, or released in reverse order.
I can assure you that my complaints do not fall into that category. Not that I'm going to go into them or anything.

Oh, another game I think is overrated - Mechwarrior 4. I think it's a decent title, but it gets more love than it deserves just because it's combat/mechlab system was the best one made so far for PvP, balance wise. Beyond that, its feels clunky, and because it fell into an odd time during video game development, I think it's mechs actually look worse than Mechwarrior 3's.

Mechwarrior: Living Legends gets too much love too. Mostly because its an non-intuitive mess you basically need to be handheld into by another player to understand, assuming any of your buttons even work. Yah yah, its a fan game, but if a community is going to pitch it as an alternative to actual developer games, it shouldn't have such a brick wall erected around its perimeter.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
trunkage said:
DefunctTheory said:
Dark souls stuff
As a person who ended up hate played Dark Souls 1, I ended up not minding DS3. There were a bunch of decisions that punished exploration in DS1 (i.e. you first three ways to go from Firelink). In fact, I tell everyone I know who maybe be interested in the game, go check out Let's Plays or get a Sherpa to tell you exactly where to go. I like things like the berg's elevator but the cost was too great.

I still think the layout of Dark Souls 2 was better, as you can go two ways from the start and it doesn't matter.

OP: GTA. I have always thought they made an enjoyable game (GTA 2) into a boring open world game. I played about 20hrs of GTA3 and have never looked back
I paid ?6 for dark souls and would have been very disappointed if Id paid full price. I like "hard" games. I beat ghouls and ghosts, bionic commando, thunderforce 4, ninja gaiden on its hardest. DS was just cheap.

Id heard it was tough so when the cliched fodder skeletons kicked my ass on the cliff I thought that was what they meant. Shields didnt work against them so I learned to dodge and get them to jump off cliffs. I made it through the catacombs that way before a friend told me the generic Jason and the Argonaughts skeletons were high level. I never took to shields after that. Terrible sign posting.

What made me not go back? The serpent temple thing. Ive seen loads of chests all with stuff in. Then I approach one after dodging loads of traps and enemies. Its a mimic who 1 shot killed me. Thats cheap. Half of the difficulty came from shitty camera work and being hit from out of view.

The final thing? Shitty net code. The pvp was dire. The lag was so bad people would teleport behind you to back stab. Youd swing through people as theyd already moved. How can we have twitch shooters, and timing based games like streetfighter online and this be so shitty?

I can say im not a fan.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Horizon: Zero Dawn -- A good game, and one I enjoyed, but one I also felt was in many ways severely flawed and not deserving of the insta-GOTY talk that it got.

Neir Automata -- Maybe, presumably, it's just me, I haven't been able to get more than a couple of hours in before boredom becomes near terminal. That, and I can't stop wondering why you'd design a combat robot to look like an anorexic teenage girl in a French Maid's outfit. Perhaps the game has an answer, if so I'll likely never know.

Uncharted -- I've only played through 1 and 2, despite having owned all of them -- including the Vita game. They were just... Ugh, I have almost nothing good to say about them and have no clue why they get the praise they do.

GTA -- Really this goes for pretty much all the Rockstar games I've tried, big sandboxes with the depth of a parking lot puddle. Yawn.

Portal -- I got about three quarters of the way through Portal -- a feat, granted, that takes remarkably little time -- before finding something better to do. The 'puzzles' were simplistic and the whole GladOS thing got old fast. Nothing bad about it at all, but it struck me more as a quick time waster that you forgot about five minutes after closing and not something that would or should appear on as many "best games of all time" lists as it has.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Myria said:
That, and I can't stop wondering why you'd design a combat robot to look like an anorexic teenage girl in a French Maid's outfit. Perhaps the game has an answer, if so I'll likely never know.
The developer flat out says in interviews 'Because its sexy.'

Unrelated, I personally really liked Automata. But I totally get why someone wouldn't.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
dscross said:
Let me put it this way: hating on positive reviews and popular games just for being too positive and too popular is overrated. :)

If you are going to mention overrated games, at least mention non-overrated games that one can play instead.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Undertale. Not because I dont like it, but because I dont think it gives as much freedom as people think it does. Now, talking with monsters instead of having to kill them? Neat idea. I support subverting expectations like that, but the game encourages 2 specific playstyles. Kill everything or kill nothing. I would praise it if there was a thoughtful outcome for taking the practical middle route and was smart about it. Like, kill some but not all and NOT just a third "I killed some but not all" result. Like, it should take into account who you killed and did not kill and why. Why did you befriend/spare X but not Y? And what differences does that make?

I hope Undertale inspires future games to think outside the box, but I think Undertale only opened the box up, but did not really step outside it as much as people say.

...Or Uncharted, cause they are interactive movies...barely. You literally play through a fucking date night then file taxes. The fuck.

Now, to counter some likely suggestions people will make.
Elder Scroll games: Lots of people hate on them, some of it deserved, some not, but I think it balances out enough, and even Oblivion, as much as I bash it for being 'less' than Morrowind, is still better than most games.

Call of Duty: Again, the series gets tons of automatic hate. They could be better and less repetitive, but they are a consistently decent FPS series.

GTA: Again, I find alot of people who hate on GTA just are not the types who GTA was made for. Its fine to not like it, but understand why you dont like it instead of tearing down on those who do.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Halo 5. Halo fucking 5. It's not just overrated, it's downright atrocious and a spit in the face of everyone who calls themselves a Halo fan. It should have been lambasted a whole fuckton more than it was, and it is now my personal mission to drag its name through the shitmud at every opportunity I can.

-

I could actually properly defend a ton of games in this thread. Namely,

Morrowind and Skyrim
Ocarina of Time
Halo 1, 3, and Reach
GTA2, San Andreas, and 5

But I'll leave it alone for now. If someone wants to challenge me to a verbal duel over the above though, let me know.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Halo 5. Halo fucking 5. It's not just overrated, it's downright atrocious and a spit in the face of everyone who calls themselves a Halo fan. It should have been lambasted a whole fuckton more than it was.
Wasn't Halo 5 considered the worst one by the fanbase? It's got a 65 on Metacritic. Seems everyone hated it or was apathetic.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I think a lot of games, for good or ill, get the attention, praise, and hatred they deserve.

The only games I personally felt I'd been far oversold on were Kid Icarus and Super Mario Bros 3.

Super Mario Bros 3 obviously suffers from 'Seinfled is Unfunny' syndrome, but Kid Icarus seems like a very boring, very basic game with not a heck of a lot going on in it - I myself made more entertaining games when I was 11.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
You know that game, the one that sits at the top of your personal favorites list? The one that ticked all the right boxes, that hit all the sweet spots, that did everything 'right'. The one that resonated with you on a personal level and had a profound impact on your life, in some way. The one that left you with a menagerie of memorable moments that will stick with you to your dying breath.

THAT'S the most overrated game of all time. That one. It is just the worst piece of shit ever, and it deserves none of the praise it got. You'd have to be an idiot to enjoy that game.[footnote]Seriously, these are just the most pointless and cynical sort of threads. Whatever excuse you think you've come up with to 'discuss' the topic, OP, it still boils down to a group of people shitting on other's enjoyment of something, all the while patting themselves on the back for being contrarian. It's petty and vindictive, and it's the sort of 'discussion' that bred so much animosity in this community.[/footnote]

;)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
DefunctTheory said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Halo 5. Halo fucking 5. It's not just overrated, it's downright atrocious and a spit in the face of everyone who calls themselves a Halo fan. It should have been lambasted a whole fuckton more than it was.
Wasn't Halo 5 considered the worst one by the fanbase? It's got a 65 on Metacritic. Seems everyone hated it or was apathetic.
65 for the users, sure. Meanwhile, it's sitting at a score of eighty-fucking-four for the normal critics score. Either a ton of assholes got paid out (likely) or people actually genuinely liked that piece of shit.

Sorry, if there's one game that triggers me, it's Halo 5.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
DefunctTheory said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
65 for the users, sure. Meanwhile, it's sitting at a score of eighty-fucking-four for the normal critics score. Either a ton of assholes got paid out (likely) or people actually genuinely liked that piece of shit.

Halo 5 probably doesnt seem as bad if you never played Halo 1-4.

I mean, how can you know that they gutted most of the MP if you did not know there was anything to gut?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
DefunctTheory said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

It all good. We all have our triggers.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
To be fair, looking at the title, I was expecting this to be a B-Cell thread. But, lo and behold...
B-Cell said:
GTA series (by far and away)
Halo
Gears
Uncharted
Resident evil
Bioshock infinite - worst AAA FPS ever ever made
COD
metal gear solid
Tomb raider (especially reboot ones among the worst games on planet)
The witcher 3 wild hunt
Assassins creed
Final fantasy
Zelda
Mario

and lots i can remember
So basically every major publisher's flagship franchise, then?

You know, its easy to lump a lot of these franchise's games together and call it quits, but a lot of them a widely different from the other. I get that if you don't like Uncharted 1, you're probably not going to like the rest of the series, but is it really fair to dismiss the entire Zelda or RE franchises, despite the fact that their respective games are often widely different from each other?
DefunctTheory said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Yeeeeeeep, pretty much. I frequent the Halo subreddit, and the general opinion there is the following:
- Campaign sucks in pretty much every conceivable way
- Launch content was lackluster
- Gameplay is okay, but would prefer H2/3 style
- Forge and Custom Games are ace
- Microtransactions are garbage

I don't really think that anyone considers Halo 5 to be overrated. The franchise as a whole? Sure, but certainly not that one particular game.

OT: Anything that Bethesda makes. Frankly, I dont see how Beth does it. To me, their games are garbage tier. Their games attract with how big they are, but the actual in-game content is painfully poor. They're shallow and buggy. A playground for mods. Thats about it.

Doom 2016. The game wasn't bad, but just repetitive after a while. They drip-feed you weapons and new enemy types often enough to keep the early hours enjoyable, but after those few hours, it just gets a little tiresome going from arena to arena. Hell is pretty dull, too.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Overrated means "people enjoy this game too much". What kind of party-pooper are you to tell others how much they should enjoy games?
Overrated means people talk about it like it's the second coming and they won't shut about it.

- Skyrim. This game was overrated before it was even released as idio...I mean people were calling it the GOTY before playing it. All credibility lost.

- Dark Souls. I am sure it's a good game but did it need to be talked about in damn near every gaming discussion for years?

- FF7. Good game but not as legendary as people make it out to be. Everything about it is good but nothing is really great.

- Ocarina of Time. Again good game, even a great game but can we please stop worshiping it? The 3DS remake made it much better and I can't return to the N64 controller for this game. Not that I dislike the N64 controller but aiming in Ocarina of Time 64 is just clumsy and I know they could have done better, Mario 64 seemed to use it better.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
I can vouch for Bethesda games, or the Bethesda genre. There really is a niche they fill that essentially no other game occupies. RPGs these days have really lost their roots, more and more they're about some writer's bumblefuck mary sue or bland and boring stereotype. That's not really the case with the Bethesda games (Fallout 4 notwithstanding). Those games are largely about a character that YOU decide them to be. Wither you're an adventurer, a trader, a crook, or a boring mary sue, it's not the game telling you who you are. It's even better when you can express who your character is to the game, and even better when it reacts accordingly (read: why New Vegas is in many respects better than Fallout 3). Sure there ARE limitations (you're always a Dragonborn, you're always a Vault Dweller, Prisoner, or Immigrant) because the game needs direction for a final goal, but pretty much no other game gives you that kind of freedom. The only other series I can think of off the top of my head is STALKER.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saelune said:
Halo 5 probably doesnt seem as bad if you never played Halo 1-4.

I mean, how can you know that they gutted most of the MP if you did not know there was anything to gut?
Indeed. When considered totally by itself, Halo 5 is a game with a crappy little campaign, very decent shooting mechanics, a fun Theater mode, not much gametypes to the MP, and Warzone is good for some laughs. Forge is fun but you gotta be online for it so it takes away some of the novelty. If you had NO idea what Halo had already accomplished and the heights it reached, it seems like a decent to okish game.

When considered in context though... Holy fucking shit. And it should be considered in context. Halo 5 wasn't some Halo Wars/ODST spinoff. It wasn't cheaper than its prequels. It was a FULL PRICED full numbered Halo sequel. And we got this atrocity.

Halo 3 was utterly revolutionary for every part of its multiplayer. And Halo Reach was at least utterly jam-packed with features and content, making it not necessarily the funnest but by far the most complete Halo experience yet. Halo 4 had heart to it and you could tell that they were truly trying. It's very understandable that they missed the mark what with the insane pressure and the deadlines they were under at the time. Even if I don't totally enjoy it really, I totally respect it.

So Halo 5 comes in, all set to save Halo and redeem 343 fully and truly show what an exclusive console FPS could really be and to bring us back to the good old days of quality. And we got this bullshit.

Laggyteabag said:
- Forge and Custom Games are ace
wut? Forge may have been improved indeed but it's now gated behind Live Gold and you have to be always online to play it. Instant F grade. And Custom Games... What Custom Games?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CaitSeith said:
dscross said:
Let me put it this way: hating on positive reviews and popular games just for being too positive and too popular is overrated. :)

If you are going to mention overrated games, at least mention non-overrated games that one can play instead.
Looking at something with a critical eye is very different to 'hating' as you put it. It doesn't mean you are a negative person because you think something is overrated. Like I said, your own meaning of the word is what's triggering you.

If this thread descends into chaos, you can use that as your ammo, but it's been very amicable so far. If you want to contribute by talking about non overrated games to add to the discussion you are quite welcome to, but that wouldn't be much of a topic of conversation.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Vigormortis said:
Seriously, these are just the most pointless and cynical sort of threads. Whatever excuse you think you've come up with to 'discuss' the topic, OP, it still boils down to a group of people shitting on other's enjoyment of something, all the while patting themselves on the back for being contrarian. It's petty and vindictive, and it's the sort of 'discussion' that bred so much animosity in this community.;)
The only people not being amicable and being cynical on this thread are the ones complaining about the conversation topic. Everyone is being very respectful. I made it quite clear it was about individual choice at the top and everyone is respecting each other's opinions and voicing what they think is critically overrated. Forums are areas for discussion. Every topic in them is pointless, really.