What do you think are the most overrated video games of all time?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Saelune said:
Undertale. Not because I dont like it, but because I dont think it gives as much freedom as people think it does. Now, talking with monsters instead of having to kill them? Neat idea. I support subverting expectations like that, but the game encourages 2 specific playstyles. Kill everything or kill nothing. I would praise it if there was a thoughtful outcome for taking the practical middle route and was smart about it. Like, kill some but not all and NOT just a third "I killed some but not all" result. Like, it should take into account who you killed and did not kill and why. Why did you befriend/spare X but not Y? And what differences does that make?

I hope Undertale inspires future games to think outside the box, but I think Undertale only opened the box up, but did not really step outside it as much as people say.

...Or Uncharted, cause they are interactive movies...barely. You literally play through a fucking date night then file taxes. The fuck.

Now, to counter some likely suggestions people will make.
Elder Scroll games: Lots of people hate on them, some of it deserved, some not, but I think it balances out enough, and even Oblivion, as much as I bash it for being 'less' than Morrowind, is still better than most games.

Call of Duty: Again, the series gets tons of automatic hate. They could be better and less repetitive, but they are a consistently decent FPS series.

GTA: Again, I find alot of people who hate on GTA just are not the types who GTA was made for. Its fine to not like it, but understand why you dont like it instead of tearing down on those who do.

Not sure how one can reduce Uncharted to date night and filing taxes, but not level the same kind of subjectivity on the proceeding three examples.

I think a more fair assessment of each would be to just watch these:

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
Saelune said:
Undertale. Not because I dont like it, but because I dont think it gives as much freedom as people think it does. Now, talking with monsters instead of having to kill them? Neat idea. I support subverting expectations like that, but the game encourages 2 specific playstyles. Kill everything or kill nothing. I would praise it if there was a thoughtful outcome for taking the practical middle route and was smart about it. Like, kill some but not all and NOT just a third "I killed some but not all" result. Like, it should take into account who you killed and did not kill and why. Why did you befriend/spare X but not Y? And what differences does that make?

I hope Undertale inspires future games to think outside the box, but I think Undertale only opened the box up, but did not really step outside it as much as people say.

...Or Uncharted, cause they are interactive movies...barely. You literally play through a fucking date night then file taxes. The fuck.

Now, to counter some likely suggestions people will make.
Elder Scroll games: Lots of people hate on them, some of it deserved, some not, but I think it balances out enough, and even Oblivion, as much as I bash it for being 'less' than Morrowind, is still better than most games.

Call of Duty: Again, the series gets tons of automatic hate. They could be better and less repetitive, but they are a consistently decent FPS series.

GTA: Again, I find alot of people who hate on GTA just are not the types who GTA was made for. Its fine to not like it, but understand why you dont like it instead of tearing down on those who do.

Not sure how one can reduce Uncharted to date night and filing taxes, but not level the same kind of subjectivity on the proceeding three examples.

I think a more fair assessment of each would be to just watch these:

Call of Duty, Skyrim and GTA are video games. Uncharted is a movie that makes you move to the next scene yourself.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:
After '05 it's more a question of which games aren't overrated to me.

Known games & series I find overrated:
GTA 3 and sequels.
Oblivion and sequels.
Deus Ex Infinite War and sequels.
Call of Duty 2 and sequels.
Assassins Creed and sequels.
Fallout 3 and sequels.
Dark Souls(-esque).
Diablo 3.

..and I'll just stop there, or we'll be here a while.

I may sound cynical and bitter, and it's true, but I expected games to get better..
Better games that is, and not simply prettier or more movie-like.
Gaming is now no more than a money-making machine for big corporations and the focus has therefore shifted to consoles.
With all the drawbacks that applies to that format.
Kind of curious here about why you didn't think GTA 3 was gaming getting better, given that before then nobody had even figured out how to marry a 3rd person camera to both free roaming and shooting at the same time, and the closest we had to an immersive 3D open world city was Driver 2, which was bare-bones to say the least...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Squilookle said:
Kind of curious here about why you didn't think GTA 3 was gaming getting better, given that before then nobody had even figured out how to marry a 3rd person camera to both free roaming and shooting at the same time, and the closest we had to an immersive 3D open world city was Driver 2, which was bare-bones to say the least...
GTA3 was a very important step. Very revolutionary. But it's aged so horribly I can't even...

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Squilookle said:
GTA3 was a very important step. Very revolutionary. But it's aged so horribly I can't even...
Then don't even.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Squilookle said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Squilookle said:

Then don't even.
Well, he can't do the other thing either. That would be odd.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Chaosian said:
Laggyteabag said:
I can vouch for Bethesda games, or the Bethesda genre. There really is a niche they fill that essentially no other game occupies. RPGs these days have really lost their roots, more and more they're about some writer's bumblefuck mary sue or bland and boring stereotype. That's not really the case with the Bethesda games (Fallout 4 notwithstanding). Those games are largely about a character that YOU decide them to be. Wither you're an adventurer, a trader, a crook, or a boring mary sue, it's not the game telling you who you are. It's even better when you can express who your character is to the game, and even better when it reacts accordingly (read: why New Vegas is in many respects better than Fallout 3). Sure there ARE limitations (you're always a Dragonborn, you're always a Vault Dweller, Prisoner, or Immigrant) because the game needs direction for a final goal, but pretty much no other game gives you that kind of freedom. The only other series I can think of off the top of my head is STALKER.

Adventurer? Sure. Trader? Absolutely can't be, there's no differing economies in the world to trade between. Crook? For 5-10 quests depending on which game you're in, and only if you do absurd meta-levelling of your sneak skill.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Vigormortis said:
You know that game, the one that sits at the top of your personal favorites list? The one that ticked all the right boxes, that hit all the sweet spots, that did everything 'right'. The one that resonated with you on a personal level and had a profound impact on your life, in some way. The one that left you with a menagerie of memorable moments that will stick with you to your dying breath.

THAT'S the most overrated game of all time. That one. It is just the worst piece of shit ever, and it deserves none of the praise it got. You'd have to be an idiot to enjoy that game.[footnote]Seriously, these are just the most pointless and cynical sort of threads. Whatever excuse you think you've come up with to 'discuss' the topic, OP, it still boils down to a group of people shitting on other's enjoyment of something, all the while patting themselves on the back for being contrarian. It's petty and vindictive, and it's the sort of 'discussion' that bred so much animosity in this community.[/footnote]

;)
Have a high five and "THIS" from me.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
If you ask enough people, every game is overrated.
Every game sucks.

Every game is overrated.

Nothing is good.

You are not allowed to like anything.

And you're stupid/******/cuck if you disagree.

Pretty much covers it all.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Arnoxthe1 said:
Halo 5. Halo fucking 5. It's not just overrated, it's downright atrocious and a spit in the face of everyone who calls themselves a Halo fan. It should have been lambasted a whole fuckton more than it was, and it is now my personal mission to drag its name through the shitmud at every opportunity I can.
Overrated? Honestly, as someone who's played Halo games since Combat Evolved, I personally consider Halo 5 to be underrated.

That said, I'm not challenging you to a verbal duel here, because I've already gone through that on this site.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I played the first couple Uncharted remasters and they were fun but I wasn't exactly blown away like all my friends were. I'll get around to 3 & 4 one of these days.

The Last of Us too. Solid enough game and really decent story but the companion AI is fucking ridiculous. I know it's another remaster but Goddamn. Ellie running around in front of hunter goons and having them not react while you hide behind cover is really immersion breaking. The way my one buddy talked about it you'd think that the disk had jumped outta his PS4 and given him the greatest blowjob of his life or something.

Honestly, I think we just need to stop with the remasters already. It just seems like a cynical way to wring a bit more money out of nostalgia-blinded gamers (which is most of us) and too many times older games don't really hold up especially well.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Smithnikov said:
Every game sucks.

Every game is overrated.

Nothing is good.

You are not allowed to like anything.

And you're stupid/******/cuck if you disagree.

Pretty much covers it all.
Nope! You forgot one.

"People like you are responsible for ruining the industry/killing off genre X/'casualizing' gaming."

dscross said:
I didn't say you couldn't have the discussion. I was only saying it's a topic of discussion that accomplishes nothing but to spur on animosity and cynicism. By its very nature it asks people to negatively criticize others for their enjoyment of something others don't like. It's petty.

But let's look at it this way: You're asking people to voice their criticisms of games they don't like. I'm voicing my criticism of your thread. You're voicing your criticisms of my criticisms.

And round and round we go. Everybody gets some criticisms!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Saelune said:
Uncharted is a movie that makes you move to the next scene yourself.
Okay, I guess I'll bite... How is that different from nearly every other linear third-person game? I've heard this criticism get thrown at Uncharted many times before, because it has cutscenes, but so does a game like for instance Silent Hill 2. Which operates under the same structure, where you walk from cutscene to cutscene, doing little inbetween besides walking. Or to take a more recent example, Yakuza 0. That game has cutscenes out the wazoo, and really long ones too, and again all you do inbetween is walk and fight. I didn't really hear the 'gameplay is king' crowd decrying that game when it came out, quite the opposite actually.

So what exactly makes Uncharted so different and less of a game in comparison?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:
Uncharted is a movie that makes you move to the next scene yourself.
Okay, I guess I'll bite... How is that different from nearly every other linear third-person game? I've heard this criticism get thrown at Uncharted many times before, because it has cutscenes, but so does a game like for instance Silent Hill 2. Which operates under the same structure, where you walk from cutscene to cutscene, doing little inbetween besides walking. Or to take a more recent example, Yakuza 0. That game has cutscenes out the wazoo, and really long ones too, and again all you do inbetween is walk and fight. I didn't really hear the 'gameplay is king' crowd decrying that game when it came out, quite the opposite actually.

So what exactly makes Uncharted so different and less of a game in comparison?
I never said they were. I never played Silent Hill 2, or any Silent Hill. I have not played any Yakuza games either. Maybe they are just as bad as Uncharted, though Uncharted, atleast in recent time is far more popular and praised.

I did watch Game Grumps play Silent Hill: Homecoming...and that game lacked any real gameplay. Most of it was linear story, then shitty looking run away segments.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The original Mario Galaxy. I remember some sites were literally giving it 11/10.

The game couldn't hold my interest for over 40 minutes in a row, and I'm someone who can go through 12 hours of visual novel without break. I still use its case to straighten a shelf that's missing a leg to remind myself to never believe idiotically overhyped reviews, and out of general spite.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hawki said:
Overrated? Honestly, as someone who's played Halo games since Combat Evolved, I personally consider Halo 5 to be underrated.
Halo 5 is objectively and categorically awful, even completely putting aside the story.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Saelune said:
I never said they were. I never played Silent Hill 2, or any Silent Hill. I have not played any Yakuza games either. Maybe they are just as bad as Uncharted, though Uncharted, atleast in recent time is far more popular and praised.

I did watch Game Grumps play Silent Hill: Homecoming...and that game lacked any real gameplay. Most of it was linear story, then shitty looking run away segments.
Yeah, but it's the same criticism that Uncharted or The Last of Us is somehow a magnet for, when other similar and just as popular games aren't. The 'it's just a movie where you walk for a bit' argument that you generally see, but never got labeled on Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy. Or even the recent Tomb Raider games, which pretty much are Uncharted.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:

Yeah, but it's the same criticism that Uncharted or The Last of Us is somehow a magnet for, when other similar and just as popular games aren't. The 'it's just a movie where you walk for a bit' argument that you generally see, but never got labeled on Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy. Or even the recent Tomb Raider games, which pretty much are Uncharted.
Well, take it up with them. I do not share their hypocrisy.