What do you think when you hear the word "transexual?"

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Zombie_Fish said:
I personally think of a male to female transsexual, typically Bernadette from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert or the cross-dresser in Cabaret whose name I can't remember. As for my general opinion of them, I'm fine with them. I haven't met any myself (closest I've ever gotten is being complimented by a drag queen), but if it makes them feel more comftorable as themselves all the better to them.

As for whether or not I'd date someone who was a transsexual, I'm unsure as of yet. I doubt I'd be creeped out by the fact that I was dating someone who used to be a different gender (I'm bisexual anyway, so genders don't bug me), but I've never been anywhere near that close to a transsexual before, so I have no way of really knowing how I'd react to even a good friend of mine being transsexual let alone someone I'm in a relationship with.

n00beffect said:
The first one is, and that one got raised between me and a few acting buddies of mine, when we were attending a casting for a M2F trans. role (which I am guessing would've been pretty fun to play), and we were sort of bickering about the difference between 'transsexual' and 'transgender', and if there was any, at all. I argued that a transsexual is a person, who is currently at a certain stage in changing their sexuality, whilst transgender is the completed form. And he was arguing that transsexual is a person who just likes to dress as a woman, and transgender is the person who's changing their, well, gender. And, of course, we were both wrong, probably, I've never looked it up, till now.
'Transgender' is a more general term for cross-dressing, whereas a 'transsexual' is specifically someone who feels more comfortable as a different gender. Transsexualism is part of transgenderism, but transgenderism also covers things like drag queens/ kings, androgynites etc.

I didn't realise there was a difference for years, so it's understandable to make a mistake like that.

And the second one, which I think could be a topic on its own is whether regarding a transsexual person attractive, make you homosexual or something of the sort? But lets take it a step further and say, that if you've slept with a transsexual person, does that make you homosexual, or should it/should it not?
This is kind of like the debate on a transsexual's sexuality. As far as I know, a m-f transwoman is heterosexual if they are attracted to men and homosexual if they are attracted to women, with the opposite being the case for f-m transmen (yes, women who become men do exist, they're just portrayed a lot less in media). Based on that, I'd say a man sleeping with a transwoman wouldn't make them any less heterosexual than if they slept with a person who had been a woman all their life.
Good. I think so, too. Especially if you take a look at some transsexuals, which are, well, HOT! :D I mean, come on! And thanks for clarifying the whole transgender/transsexual thing. I hate googling stuff, myself ;D

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly I'm not sure what to think, other than it weirds me out a bit.

My gender identity is tied so tightly to my physical sex that I can't imagine the two not being in-line with one another. I have absolutely no frame of reference to think about it from.

With homosexuality I at least understand sexual attraction well enough to be able to think about it from other perspectives - while I'm not personally sexually attracted to other men, I understand how men are sexually attractive, and I most definitely understand being sexually attracted women. So I have a frame of reference that I can understand it through.

With the whole transgender/transexual thing I don't. I was born with a sex and that is my gender, the two are equivalent to me, and pretty much everyone I've never known is the same way. Its so tightly wound into my own identity and how I've been socialized there's no other way for me to really think about it.

Its hard for me to not wonder about whats really going on, and while I'm open to the idea that its not something a person can do anything about - I'm not 100% convinced. Nor am I convinced that changing one's physical sex is the best solution to that problem - if just because pretty much every testimonial I've heard from a transsexual makes it sound like they have just as a hard of a time being socially accepted as before they started trying to assume their new gender role.

Again I'm not trying to say that there's nothing going on with transsexuals, just that I'm unsure of how to take them, or what I should think. I think talking to one about it would be interesting.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
cynicalsaint1 said:
Honestly I'm not sure what to think, other than it weirds me out a bit.

My gender identity is tied so tightly to my physical sex that I can't imagine the two not being in-line with one another. I have absolutely no frame of reference to think about it from.

With homosexuality I at least understand sexual attraction well enough to be able to think about it from other perspectives - while I'm not personally sexually attracted to other men, I understand how men are sexually attractive, and I most definitely understand being sexually attracted women. So I have a frame of reference that I can understand it through.

With the whole transgender/transexual thing I don't. I was born with a sex and that is my gender, the two are equivalent to me, and pretty much everyone I've never known is the same way. Its so tightly wound into my own identity and how I've been socialized there's no other way for me to really think about it.

Its hard for me to not wonder about whats really going on, and while I'm open to the idea that its not something a person can do anything about - I'm not 100% convinced. Nor am I convinced that changing one's physical sex is the best solution to that problem - if just because pretty much every testimonial I've heard from a transsexual makes it sound like they have just as a hard of a time being socially accepted as before they started trying to assume their new gender role.
To help clear this up, changing one's gender is about a lot more than social acceptance. It's about accepting yourself and being happy with your own body. Society doesn't accept because society is shitty and biased like that, but at least once you've changed you can be happy with yourself.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
orangeban said:
See? That's how I feel, I don't particularly want a gender, but I reckon' that even in a world where there was no gender or gender roles, I would probably do stuff that current society judges as "feminine".
What does that mean though?

If I'm the one being asked, the bare essence of femininity is the ability to give birth. Pretty much everything that differs about women from men both biologically and socially stems from this fact. How does one feel feminine without the core of what makes one female?

I don't want to sound like I'm doubting you, or trying to be confrontational, or whatever - I'm honestly curious. Its something I have a hard time understanding.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Someone who wants to mutilate their bits. I'm not going to hide it, when it comes to actually ruining your parts and making a cheap not functional imitation I'm not exactly accepting. I see it the same as that one person who sewed a dog's face onto his (the picture is pretty gross and I don't feel like looking for it).

I'm just as intolerant when it comes to gender roles. Why do we even have them? You should like what you like and act how you act without having to worry about what society deems acceptable for arbitrary reasons.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
orangeban said:
To help clear this up, changing one's gender is about a lot more than social acceptance. It's about accepting yourself and being happy with your own body. Society doesn't accept because society is shitty and biased like that, but at least once you've changed you can be happy with yourself.
Holy leap-frogging quotes batman!

I guess what I don't get is why not learn to accept yourself as a male who happens to be rather feminine, rather than try to make yourself into a counterfeit-version of something you can never truly be. Having a boobs and a vagina and a high-pitched voice really isn't what being female is. In a way it seems more like trying to fool yourself than confront and accept who you really are.

SongsOfDragons

Feb 28, 2008
My housemate introduced me to a friend of hers, who is a female-to-male transsexual. He is a wonderful guy, really clever (got a Masters in Physics!) and he's coming to our New Year do. Before I met him I didn't know what to make of the concept since I'd never met anyone like that, but now I have there's nothing odd about it to me any more. ^^

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
cynicalsaint1 said:
orangeban said:
Holy leap-frogging quotes batman!

I guess what I don't get is why not learn to accept yourself as a male who happens to be rather feminine, rather than try to make yourself into a counterfeit-version of something you can never truly be. Having a boobs and a vagina and a high-pitched voice really isn't what being female is. In a way it seems more like trying to fool yourself than confront and accept who you really are.
Well, I think I don't want to accept myself as male. Here's the thing, I don't want to be female, I want to be without gender, but living the feminine lifestyle (using current standards of feminity)

I don't really like the current masculine lifestyle, I despise societal norms bullshit like "boy don't cry" and "real men are good at fighting!" I'm not tough, I'm not "manly" and my aspirations in life go farther than "protecting my girl" and "becoming a CEO".

The feminine lifestyle seems nicer to me, I'll admit that I've wondered if this is just a case of me saying the grass is greener on the other side, but to me it seems the expectations that society has for women, and what is socially acceptable for women to do is... well I hesitate to say easier, but more fitting to who I am as a person. Plus, the clothes are nicer.

Now, why do I need to actually live as a female to do all that stuff? Well, I dunno, because I think that society would be more accepting? That a trans-woman doing those things is more acceptable than a man doing it? That the only way to escape those expectation (rather than ignore them) is to switch gender? Maybe, I'm not sure, like I said, I only really came out to *myself* (and a close friend) a few days ago, I'm still working out the details.

The thing is, I would technically be "a man who was rather feminine" but I figure that I'd be *so* feminine that I would basically be female. It isn't really about the breasts, high-pitched voice and vagina for me, like I said, I'd probably only get that stuff so that society would be more accepting of me. A shallow reason perhaps, but it's my reason.

Only I probably wouldn't get a vagina, the idea of genital surgery is absolutely gob-smackingly terrifying to me. Got nothing against those who do, but the idea just makes me shiver.

Edit: Yeah, I'm only speaking for myself here, but still, I can only really speak for myself. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh, and I basically answer your earlier question here, just slot "giving birth" next to having breasts, a vagina and a high-pitched voice. I accept that most current ideas of what feminine is stem from the whole baby thing, but that doesn't mean they are mutually-dependant. You can have one without the other.

Rorigon

Apr 14, 2011
I cringe. I absolutely HATE the word transsexual because it conjures up a crapload of transphobic images, and makes it sound like it's some sort of fetish. Transgender is broader, yes, but I feel much more comfortable with it.

(for context, I'm pre-everything MtF)

cynicalsaint1 said:
If I'm the one being asked, the bare essence of femininity is the ability to give birth. Pretty much everything that differs about women from men both biologically and socially stems from this fact. How does one feel feminine without the core of what makes one female?
Out of curiosity, if you define femininity as fertility,what happens to women who are unable to become pregnant? Women who have had hysterectomies? Menopausal women? Women who would die if they gave birth?

Are they unable to feel feminine, because they don't have the "core of what makes one female," either?

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Palademon said:
I'm not even sure how being, what in the eyes of the person, the wrong gender, would feel. That's the only gender you've ever been. How can you feel weird about being it? How can you rationally know you'd feel better as the other?
From what I guess it has a lot to do with feeling normal. Some people just never feel like they were ever like their gender is supposed to be. Your entire life people tell you to act more like your gender or secretly you just don't want to be a certain way. By changing your gender your behavior is no longer strange. You're just like ever common man/woman except your junk doesn't really function. You are as you should be and now nobody can contest it. For some people their loved ones may have already been referring to them as the opposite gender long before surgery.

I guess. I don't really know. When I think of transsexual I just think of a really awkward life. Everyone who got used to you being one gender is now confronted by a different gender version. I can imagine family and friends being very weirded out or upset by your presence.

I've thought about it once. However, I don't want to be some imitation. It's still very tempting though. I'm just curious as to how well you function afterwards. It's such a sensitive surgery.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Haseo21 said:
I don't know about you guys, but when I hear the word transsexual...I think of Hideyoshi
I absolutely must know what that is of right the hell now, because *drool*

Okay, that was uncivilized. What I meant to say was:"Dear fellow Escapist, would you be so kind as to explain what series that screenshot is from?"

OT: It's come up in conversation several times. Through trial, error and getting shouted at a lot, I've essentially developed a surprisingly complex first reaction to any mention of trans[anything]. I'll try to keep it brief:

I'm for people doing whatever the hell makes them happy so long as it doesn't infringe on the freedoms and rights of others. If that means making the world a more varied and interesting place, I approve all the more. As a bisexual, I really don't give a toss what's between your legs and there's always strapons/anal, so whatever to that whole business. However, every time I say anything on this or similar topics, the terms I was taught as being appropriate/correct last time are apparently deeply offensive now, so I'm just going to shut up and take another drink from my vodka on the rocks. It's okay, most of my friends know I'm the quiet type anyway and if anybody asks my opinion, I'll just give a thumbs up.

LeeArac

Aug 16, 2011
I'm so very glad someone posted the 'Two Spirit' link re: the recurring bullshit idea of this being a 'First World Problem'. I trust we all read up on that phenomena and aren't going to ignore what doesn't fit into our preconceived notions, yes?

I've known several transpeople in the queer community and they're... just people, just as capable of being gorgeous or ugly or selfless or entitled as anyone else. By and large I found a lot of them to be quite... subdued, but I suppose in their position and facing the kinds of challenges they doubtless do I probably would be too.

I'll echo what a few other people have said and say I don't like the idea of defined gender roles - but I find androgyny and the bravery to challenge those defined roles quite attractive - so in that regard I've found more than one transgirl/boy pretty bloody hot.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
M2F transexual- i think of some one who is just plain wierd....and confuseing. are they gay straight bi? what do they put on a drivers license? why cant they be happy with how their born? WHAT IS GOING THROUGH YOUR HEAD? i honestly dont know.
IM SO CONFUSED!!!!

F2M- tomboy going to far.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
First thing is literally the girlfriend of a friend of a friend, the girlfriend is a transsexual and wants to be a man. So, to answer the question, a real life transsexual that I'm bound to meet one day.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Batou667 said:
If it's a sexual thing, why not just be gay?
its not a sexual thing. its slightly more like having left-handedness beaten out of you or something. you have to adopt one lifestyle, but it feels wrong. lefties have to live as righties, and men have to live as women/vice versa.
that was probably the shittiest analogy anyone could come up with ever but it works. kinda. not really. ignore it. i dont know. anyone here who actually knows something about it want to tell me if that's even in the ballpark?

OT: personally, i think about the guy who was born a girl (the one with the beard)[footnote]he makes me sad because i can't even grow a 'stache and i'm biologically male.[/footnote] on My Transsexual Summer, and Kim Petras.

procrasty

Oct 6, 2011
peruvianskys said:
Batou667 said:
Maybe, but I can't remember the last time I heard about Ethiopians campaigning for trans awareness, or an Eskimo in drag, or the Native American Trans community.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er98BdHcN3E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

Transgender people have existed throughout history and currently exist all around the world. You may not hear about it, but the history of nearly every world culture is filled with alternate expressions of gender identity and to pretend that the desire to change your gender alignment is somehow a first-world indulgence is shockingly ignorant and factually inaccurate.
+1 see also; mental illness which i often see talked about in the same way. (indeed issues like this seem less like "first world problems" and more like the antithisis of that. these are very much third world problems, because those are the parts of the world which lack the means to deal with them).

aaaanyway, what do i think? well i live in an area with a higher than usual trans population, as it's viewed as a very tolerant part of the country, so many people move here either because of, on in fear of, how they'd be treated in other places. as a result i often see recognisable trans women, and are aware that there are likely many more who are (to put it a bit crudely) "passing". i guess the first image that does come to mind are those m2f women who are recognisable, mostly because they have transitioned rather late in life.

general little aside: i've heard transexulity described (i think very helpfully) in terms of "body mapping". this is the image you have of yourself in your brain that, on the most basic level, allows you to do things like, touch your finger to your nose without looking. sometimes however, it doesn't quite work like that, the map doesn't match the body. it may, for exmaple, not be the same gender, it's not that you can't feel the body parts you have which don't match this map, it's just that they're not, right. you're body has things it shouldn't, does things it shouldn't, you have to live every day with parts of your own physical being just being horribly, horribly alien. obviously there is more to being transexual than the body mapping issue alone, but this is why physical transition isn't a mere cosmetic preference. i think it can be misleading to think of transexualism in terms of how comfortable you are in the body you have now, and how you wouldn't want to change it. if you woke up tomorrow in a different body, with the world treating you as the gender that fit that, and not the one in your brain, would you really just shrug and get on with it? or would you try and reclaim, however imperfectly, the body, and name, and life you know damn well you're meant to have?

so yeah, basically i view gender surgury as corrective.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Eh, doesn't really come up in conversation enough for me to have put much thought into it. I suppose I'd be fine with being friends with a transsexual, but I'd also never be able to be romantically involved with them. Just knowing that the lady in question I'm about to be involved with once had a penis is possibly the largest turn-off I can think of. Well okay, a Swastika tatoo still might beat it, but they're pretty close.

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
One of my IRL friends. She's pretty [sub][sub][sub]and[/sub][/sub][/sub] awesome. Then the Escapist. Then... that's about it.