What game did you know was bad/awful, and yet you still played it?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
gussy1z said:
ALien vs Predator 2010. I should of listened.
I will defend that game to the end. For the hive!

Seriously though, what about it did you not like?

OT: Ummm... probably CoD 4. That game, just wow. How could something so broken and unfun be hailed as it was? I don't know, but it keeps me up at night...

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Timesplitters 2. The way how the game played with the shooting system was horrible. However, Timesplitters: Future Perfect was one of my favorite games for the last console generation.

I summon the flame shield to protect me.

I agree with your timesplitters 2 analysis, and I LOVED Future perfect. It's pretty much my brothers (and mine) favourite console game.....good times.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
Dark Sector. I thought I could power through, but no human nor no beast could survive that game. It made me very very sad. Also, the original Silent Hill games' COMBAT. I love the games, but the combat just made me want to throw the controller into the path of a passing truck. I know a lot of people say that they think it's to make the character seem less powerful, but when it gets to the point that I'm running in circles just trying to find what I'm hitting, I draw the line.

Grinsk

Apr 14, 2011
I'd say this is a toss up between Ninja Blade and WET for me. Both games were so repetitive and tedious. Ninja Blade itself was just flat out awful and the autosave system was so flawed. I have no idea how I mustered the courage to continue to play these games through.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Alone in the Dark. It is bad. But I love playing it. I need to go back and play more of it.

Rayken15

Jan 10, 2011
Souplex said:
I played through Half Life 2 and it's episodes to prove a point.
My friend said I couldn't judge it after the first time I played it because I only played through Ravenholm (The section where you're forced to use the shoehorned in gimmick weapon that's just a glorified Grab/Throw button) and hated the hovercraft section. (Quite possibly the worst vehicle section in gaming history)
I also played other M, because it was a learning experience.
They took one of the greatest franchises of all time, gutted almost everything that made it amazing, then forced you to sit through poor writing. Occasionally glimmers of the old Metroid games shows through, but otherwise it's not.
"The worst vehicle section in gaming history" actually went to Mass Effect 1.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
"FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan."

"Please just call me York, it's what everyone calls me."

Deadly Premonition... So so bad yet so so good

Driving around town talking about '80s movies with your imaginary friend Zach (AKA the player) has never been so awesome

A small example of the insanity

Best QTE ever
What the hell. Thank you for showing me what game I need to buy next.

ashpah111

May 3, 2011
i found myself playing through Halo (on the pc) even though the more I played, the more I hated it. running and gunning the same enemies over and over in the same corridors over and over. The vehicles were its saving grace.
And then i played Halo 2 (on the pc), searching for some innovation, something to explain why the game was successful. I got all the way to the end and was left wondering. It was worse than the first one.

btw i am not referring to the multiplayer aspect of the game. that was fun.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Bayonetta.
It was only 9£, so I thought I might as well buy it, but I was filled with disgust the entire time. Never been so happy a game ended that fast.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Brink because it sounded good on paper.
But now I've realized that was all.

[Prototype] was largely perceived as 'meh', but I enjoyed the quick, fluid combat a lot nonetheless, to the point where playing on Hard felt no different from Normal.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
ME2 was a solid game but look at their mining minigame. OHHH THE HORROR and HELL i have to go through!!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ninja Blade and Lost: Via Domus. I bought Lost because I was really into the show at the time, and I didn't care what the reviews said. I should have. That game was as boring as all get out.

The cover of Ninja Blade just looked cool. I remember seeing some negative reviews, but I decided to take a chance. Worst. Decision. Ever.

IneptInception

May 28, 2011
Half Life 2. With the Orange Box, by no means did I buy it on purpouse.

I thought it was going to be absolutely... well, crap, but then that changed to this amazingly immersive, narrative experience complete with in depth characters and a story flow matched to none after the first opening minutes, but... it wasn't? After the first chapter, everything was swell. The story was wonderful, other things were... acceptable, until I hit chapter 2.

As an FPS I can see why it was so groundbreaking, but me and my RPG self grew so DAMN BORED after the 2nd chapter when there was 0 story development going on, apart from "RUN DR. FREEMAN, DAMN RUN THEY'RE CATCHING UP TO US" which changed to "so, Dr. Freeman, how you doin'?" and then "FREEMAN WE NEED YOU TO RUN, THIS TIME YOU'RE ON A KARTTHING, DRIVE MORE" when it turned to "DR. FREEMAN, BUT YOU NEED TO KILL THIS HELICOPTER FOR US FIRST AND THEN RUN AS FAST AS YOUR SKINNY WHITE LEGS CAN CARRY YOU". I'm near the end of Sandtraps and I want to throw myself off a cliff.

I'm continuing to play through this shite, in the vague hope of some storyline, but I'm struggling. COME AT ME BROS. /end of rant

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Big Rigs : Over the Road Racing. I knew that it was bad before I got it (lowest metacritic score of all time at 7 (or 8, cant remember) but I got it for that reason alone. It was so bad it was hilarious, my friend and I had so much fun laughing at the ridiculous reverse acceleration and the lack of staying on bridges, opting to go through them and on the valleys underneath instead. Although the fixed 50% of your CPU regardless how good your CPU was started to get annoying :p

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Heard a lot about how bad Mareo Sunshne for the GCN was, but twas played by me anyway, thought good about the game though, not great...

Teronium

May 30, 2011
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 1 The Game
I regret this choice as it haunts my nightmares.