What game (if any) have you ever become emotionally invested in?

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
Okami (mostly towards the end)
Shadow of the Colossus (DEFINITELY toward the end)
Dragon Age: Origins (first playthrough, chose the ultimate sacrifice)

Edit: And Prototype, a bit. I feel bad when I kill civilians.

Dejanus

Jul 15, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Both Mass Effects and Ace Combat 5
I mean, I cried for a good 10 minutes after Chopper died, he meant that much to me.
I'm surprised to hear that, I've always been partial to them but I generally hear only derision for the plots of the Ace Combat games.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Super Mario World

Felt terrible every time I did that D :

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
I'd say Assassin's Creed 2 really upset me when we see Ezio's family kick it, but wasn't bothered by Brotherhood's ending in the slighest, minus the massive 'whut'.

I was also angered how absolute shit the alternate endings in Muramasa would be for the characters. The normal endings for the characters seemed appropriate enough, but after going through the hassle to unlock the other four, the game just seemed to want to slap you in the face.

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins - The first time I played through as a woman romancing Alistair, and I had to choose whether to die, let my lover die, or let my lover sleep with a *****. Grrrrrr...

Shadow Hearts 1&2 - I felt so sorry for Yuri. The poor guy never catches a break. Even his 'happy' endings are bitter

FF7 - I was young and didn't have the internet, so the end of Disc 1 - damnit!

Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood (and probably Revelations) - they do an excellent job of making you feel like you know Ezio as a person, not just your avatar

Lost Odyssey - There were some moments in there (aside from the stories that you could find, though those were all excellent) that were truly emotional, such as Kaim's reunion with his daughter. They always overplayed the kids' scenes, but when it was an emotional scenes with just adults - it could be pretty powerful.

Mar 9, 2010
Sadly none. I find it easy to be immersed in a game but very difficult to make an emotional connection in one. I did cry at the GoW2 scene, but not due to an emotional connection to any of the characters.

That said, I'm barely emotionally invested in anything. If it isn't in my mind's ideal world then I probably have no interest in it.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Just about every Final Fantasy I've ever played, expecially VI and VII.
Mass Effects 1 and 2.
Dragon Age: Origins.

Those would be the main culprits. As you can tell, I'm a bit of an RPG girl at heart. I love anything with a complex, convoluted storyline and characters you can lose yourself in for hours.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
X-com: Ufo defence. Your soldiers start out completely useless, pre-generated names with no equipment or stats. You name them, train them, equip them, take them out on missions, narrowly escaping death, and they progress.
Then, when the time eventually comes a soldier you recruited at the start of the game who proved himself an invaluable asset and a memorable name is eventually perma-killed by a single loose plasma bolt from a sectoid. Trust me, it's genuinely saddening to embark on a mission to try and defend a city, then having the majority of your squad turned into zombies by Chrysallids, with only a couple of them surviving to flee back to the base.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Emotionally invested... well, it tends to be a more diffuse environmental emotional resonance for me... Some games that have evoked real feeling of wonder, dread, glee, curiosity - really engaged me on not only an intellectual, but also emotional level:

- LIMBO
- Amnesia: Dark Descent
- Out of this World / Another World
- Half Life 1 / 2
- Fallout (all of them except Tactics and *shudder* "Brotherhood of Steel")
- System Shock 2
- Bioshock 1 / 2 (1 moreso, but I actually really got into 2)
- Deus Ex 1
- Final Fantasy "3" (6)
- Metro 2033
- Minecraft
- Mass Effect 1 /2
- ES: Morrowind / Oblivion

Take what you will from that. It's an honest list as far as it goes coming off the top of my head. There's a lot of other great games I'd list as favorites but don't really touch my emotions; Frozen Synapse, e.g.

L3W15 M

Jul 28, 2011
It has to be the metal gear solid series, Snake was like my best friend by the end of it. And the way every character had their part to play in the end made you feel great.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
RADIALTHRONE1 said:
For me it was the Kingdom Hearts series. I actually (somehow) cared about what happened to the characters.
Well, since you took Kingdom Hearts, I'll say Assassin's Creed.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Well, there's been a couple. Final Fantasy 7 and 8. 8 mostly. (/flameshield ON)

Most recently Red Dead Redemption. That game filled me with so many emotions with it's fantastic writing and characters that I couldn't help but be invested.

Also, I'm getting pretty into Oblivion now, and I'm at least VERY attached to my character. I haven't started the actual main mission though, so I can't speak on it's affect on me as yet. I've been far too busy adventuring and getting ridiculously wealthy and powerful (head of mages and fighters guilds, Knight-Errant of the White Stallion, Grandmaster of the Arena, 4 houses, and more gold than I know what to do with).

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Another for Infamous 2. What happened in the end was nothing short of heartbreaking.

Also, Mother 3. When Hinawa dies? And then later, when you're fighting the Masked Man? T_T Tears, man. Mother 1, as well, when you hear that song at the end, knowing what it means?

Not even my bad breakup with my ex hurt that bad.

On a note less likely to send me into a teary bout, lest it be out of laughter--

geK0 said:
Super Mario World

Felt terrible every time I did that D :
That remains one of my favorite mechanics. The heap of abandoned Yoshis in some levels of SMW and NSMBW would be high enough to just walk over the pit in question. Ha-ha!

VictorDoomer

Aug 12, 2011
The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Fallout, Silent Hill, Diablo, Gothic 1,2 and 3. the fourth Gothic was, like most games today, ruined by consoles, one of the reason for my console hate..

Zeraiya

Jul 16, 2011
The Mass Effect series without a doubt. I was also emotionally invested in Dragon Age: Origins; not so much Dragon Age II.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus of course. Outside that, ive only ever felt a connection to Reach really.