What game should be re-made and why?

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
loc978 said:
Austin Howe said:
Final Fantasy VI. No, I'm not missing a numeral, I meant good-ol' SNES FFVI.

People need to see that that game DOES NOT and I repeat DOES NOT hold up the way they think it does in ANY category. Soundtrack, graphics, gameplay, writing, nothing. It has most certainly aged. A remake could both fight and prove that.
I absolutely agree... that it should be remade. As far as I'm concerned, the remake of IV held up just great, and VI would do the same.
Oh the game would still hold up well, but reall,y go back. There are some annoying songs on that soundtrack, the battle themes are unimpressive, and some boss fights are incredibly unbalanced and unfair. That game isn't rough around the edges, it's outright jagged.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I'm gonna go with Deadly Premonition. It had a good story and characters and had a certain dark humor that made it a charming little gem for me. I'd love for a remake to flesh out some of the game play issues and shoddy graphics.

Edit: Now that I think about it I'd like Rise of the Kusai to be remade with the co-op promised and more than two different types of bosses, that would be better than sliced cheese.

AaronDemoncia

Jul 14, 2010
Summoner for the ps2 from launch. because that game was hated on so hard for simply being a launch title, it really diserves a second chance for a well made world and story with good pacing and lore.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Chaos Engine a game on the SNES and also I think on the PC

great setting, sort of like a crazy steampunk mixed with mutant monsters

awsome charachters that you get to choose from (except in the remake they should have a female one)

they had
the mercenry- a crazy looking bald guy with "riddick" like goggle eyes
the thug- but tough looking guy, aslo bald
the reverend later changed to the scientist- glasses green coat smart and badass
the gentlemen- pony tail, pork chops and black longcoat my favorte
thr Navie- fellow with a mustache

also great potential for co-op as that was the focus of the game

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Parasite Eve. It needs something current-gen that isn't all about this:

Really, Square? 13 years of abandonment, and your idea of innovation and refreshing is making the anticipated sequel into the Other M with even more emphasis on a blond woman's ass and clothes?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Austin Howe said:
loc978 said:
Austin Howe said:
Final Fantasy VI. No, I'm not missing a numeral, I meant good-ol' SNES FFVI.

People need to see that that game DOES NOT and I repeat DOES NOT hold up the way they think it does in ANY category. Soundtrack, graphics, gameplay, writing, nothing. It has most certainly aged. A remake could both fight and prove that.
I absolutely agree... that it should be remade. As far as I'm concerned, the remake of IV held up just great, and VI would do the same.
Oh the game would still hold up well, but reall,y go back. There are some annoying songs on that soundtrack, the battle themes are unimpressive, and some boss fights are incredibly unbalanced and unfair. That game isn't rough around the edges, it's outright jagged.
I... honestly can't think of an "unfair" boss fight in VI (and I've played through the monster-edited difficult ROM that was circling around a decade back). IV had far more "curve ball" challenges thrown at you, beginning to end. As for the music... I maintain most of that soundtrack as among the best of the 16-bit era. Apparently the soundtrack simply isn't to your taste.
...this coming from a man who replayed the game on his old "FF3" cartridge just a few months ago.

OTMD

Apr 15, 2011
Honestly I thought a subject of remakes would illicit more comment blocks than this...okay here goes:

SHADOWRUN

Not because it would be cooler than a rehashing of Overlord for the PC, but because the remake by Microsoft's very own DAY1Studios, took a wholly different direction with the title. The old game had elements that, at the time, the story seem to be struggling at a 32-bit leash. Graphic-wise, it would be an art director's dream come true and writers could just about place the story in any metropolitan context. I played it through to the ending around when it was released and had already deemed it my favorite game ever. Years later, I found out SR(for those in "the know") started as a board game and and even had books on the series dealing with corporate intrigue a subject that was briefly felt-up by Microsoft and its in-house development team; ironically DAY1Studios is what remains of FASA, the group that released the original send up to the cyberpunk genre...

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
The original Fallout Games, Starcontrol II, the original Empire Earth, with better graphics, more stuff and NOT SH*T like Empire Earth 3.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
OTMD said:
Honestly I thought a subject of remakes would illicit more comment blocks than this...okay here goes:

SHADOWRUN
which one the Snes version, the genesis version or that crappy one they released a couple years ago for the 360?

Oh and I have to be another that would like to say Legend of the Dragoon and FF6.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
I'll name a personal favorite of mine, plus a few games I heard about here on The Escapist:

1.Half Life: The original is a classic, and revamped graphics would make an old gem shine.

2.Painkiller: If you cross Max Payne with hunting demons, you get a great potential remake.

3. The "Thief" series: Zero Punctuation said it all. An old stealth game for the next-gen.

4. Call of Cthullu: There's real potential to turn Lovecraft's work into videogame art!

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
OTMD said:

SHADOWRUN

Not because it would be cooler than a rehashing of Overlord for the PC, but because the remake by Microsoft's very own DAY1Studios, took a wholly different direction with the title. The old game had elements that, at the time, the story seem to be struggling at a 32-bit leash. Graphic-wise, it would be an art director's dream come true and writers could just about place the story in any metropolitan context. I played it through to the ending around when it was released and had already deemed it my favorite game ever. Years later, I found out SR(for those in "the know") started as a board game and and even had books on the series dealing with corporate intrigue a subject that was briefly felt-up by Microsoft and its in-house development team; ironically DAY1Studios is what remains of FASA, the group that released the original send up to the cyberpunk genre...
Shadowrun is one of the most criminally underused licenses in the history of gaming, and I wholeheartedly agree that a remake (or complete re-imagining if you take into account the Shadowrun game for the 360) would be spectacular if done correctly.

Also, Planescape: Torment.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Knights of the Old Republic II

Obsidian crafted a great story that included who I think is the best video game character of all-time. They also deepened the RPG elements and introduced variables that could make the story different over multiple playthroughs. However, the game was marred with bugs and was stripped down mightily (due to developer incompetence and/or an unrealistic release date by the publisher). The vanilla games ends with a rushed and unsatisfying conclusion.

The game could use some touches on the leveling system (mainly with Blaster Rifles, which lack an upgrade that every other weapon has), and could really benefit from things like a more easy to sort through inventory system and more varied character models(though KotOR I was waaayyy worse in that department. They had like one character model for all Jedi in that one).

The game as it is (I've yet to be able to try the Restoration Mod) is a little less than the first game (which is one of my all-time favorites). A fixed, finished, and updated version of KotOR II could be my favorite game of all-time.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
The ones that come to mind are PS1 games like Vagrant Story and the Spyro trilogy (the Insomniac ones not the shit that came after.) I bet the original 3 Spyro games would sell great on the 3DS even without a major graphical overhaul, besides 3D support, especially if they were bundled on a single physical cartridge.

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
silverleaf81 said:
The original Fallout Games, Starcontrol II, the original Empire Earth, with better graphics, more stuff and NOT SH*T like Empire Earth 3.

Definately Empire Earth. The first one was awesome and they just gradually got shitter and shitter...
Also Age of Mythology. That would be great remake!

OTMD

Apr 15, 2011
The Genesis version was the only one I've played; but I heard that the SNES version heaped on a few extras.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
I know Metal Gear Solid was remade on the Gamecube, but it's so damn difficult to find so I would want a a new remake of that.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
everytime i see this thread i always answer "Chaos Legion" it was a game a bit ahead of its time, it'd definatly need some tweeking from the original, but the core gameplay was fun, and quite differant. it was a combination of RTS and devil may cry style hack'n'slash.