What games ARE worth the money you paid for them?

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2, screw you guys I think Obsidian did fine... Lucas Arts just rushed the release) Mass Effect (1 and 2), Dragon Age... Pretty much, if BioWare made it, I'm willing to throw down money for it.

Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 have all taken an ungodly number of hours out of my life, making Bethesda one of my favorites to dish out cash for.

Freelancer is my favorite space-based game ever. I just loved the story, the setting, the atmosphere, everything. I'm working on my 5th play-through of the story, but back in the day when it was relatively new, I wasted thousands of hours playing it online.

I'm not usually much into shooter games, but COD4 has soaked up 12 days and 4 hours of my life. Didn't care for MW2 though. Bought it, played it for a couple weeks, then traded it in.

Assassin's Creed 2 was everything the first Assassin's Creed should have been. Well worth my $60.

Rock Band is a bit of an obsession of mine, so I don't know how well it plays into "worth the money" but I've dropped well over $250 on Rock Band, between a new drum peripheral, 3 new bass pedals, and DLC. And that's not even bad, the guys that really get into it dropped $300 for a drum kit, and $1,000+ on DLC. it's wild.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Well, prices are even higher where I live. That's why I usually wait for costs to go down before I buy anything. Some titles can be as high as $110 or $120 depending on how popular they're expected to be.

However, seeing as I usually don't pay full price for games, and feel satisfied by the majority of games I buy, are there any games I feel ripped off by?

Yes.

FFXIII. Fucking $125. I know a lot of work went into it, and the cutscenes make for a game something like a hundred hours long, but the gameplay and story (or, should I say, enjoyment of the story) I got from it was so limited that I felt cheated.

I'm sure there are other games I would have felt ripped off by if I'd gotten them at full price when they were first released. Fable II maybe. And definitely the bargain bin games I buy out of curiosity, because of how cheap they are now, but, I mean, by the time I get to them I know they're basically rubbish, or, at least, not lighting the world on fire.

irishstormtrooper

Mar 19, 2009
Borderlands is incredibly addicting if you're the kind of person who would like it, Battlefield: 1943 is worth the $15. Also, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is (I find) to be a game with great longevity, and also worth every penny.

buddee1

Jan 11, 2009
IzisviAziria said:
Rock Band is a bit of an obsession of mine, so I don't know how well it plays into "worth the money" but I've dropped well over $250 on Rock Band, between a new drum peripheral, 3 new bass pedals, and DLC. And that's not even bad, the guys that really get into it dropped $300 for a drum kit, and $1,000+ on DLC. it's wild.
Trust me, I have friends who have not bought a game since Rockband 2 came out because when ever they get enough money to buy a new game they just buy DLC songs. At a certain point it becomes sad.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Pretty much every game iv bought was worth it.
Notable examples are...
Guilty Gear XX A Core +
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Metroid Prime:Trilogy
Megaman Battle Network 3:Blue
Metroid Prime:Hunters
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga:Endless Frontier

Hell, i may have gotten Fire Emblem free from a friend but i would have GLADLY payed money for that game.

buddee1

Jan 11, 2009
badgersprite said:
Well, prices are even higher where I live. That's why I usually wait for costs to go down before I buy anything. Some titles can be as high as $110 or $120 depending on how popular they're expected to be.

However, seeing as I usually don't pay full price for games, and feel satisfied by the majority of games I buy, are there any games I feel ripped off by?

Yes.

FFXIII. Fucking $125. I know a lot of work went into it, and the cutscenes make for a game something like a hundred hours long, but the gameplay and story (or, should I say, enjoyment of the story) I got from it was so limited that I felt cheated.

I'm sure there are other games I would have felt ripped off by if I'd gotten them at full price when they were first released. Fable II maybe. And definitely the bargain bin games I buy out of curiosity, because of how cheap they are now, but, I mean, by the time I get to them I know they're basically rubbish, or, at least, not lighting the world on fire.
I've been there man. I put down $60 for FFXIII when it came out, I can't even imagine how you feel.

park92

Aug 1, 2009
starcraft 2, cod 1,united offensive, 2, 4 and 5(bought them all in a bundle for 30 bucks), and bad company 2

Deguasser

Feb 18, 2009
buddee1 said:
Deguasser said:
Kane and Lynch 2, Dead rising 2, Greg Hastings Paintball 2, Red Dead Redmption, and an indie game called Miner Dig Deep.
Ok, you're going to have to explain why Kane and Lynch 2 is on there. From the hour or so that I have played it just seems like a boring, generic, 3rd person shooter.
I liked the characters, the pacing, and the gameplay itself.
I liked the original.
I LOVE the multiplayer.

XIGBARx13

Nov 19, 2009
The Ratchet & Clank series, Kingdom Hearts series, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2, Rock Band series, Oblivion, The Orange Box... the list goes on. For me, I feel a game was worth the money if after finishing it once, I didn't just shelve it and forget all about it.

7|-|3 1337

Oct 4, 2010
Orange Box. I luvz me some Portal.
DMC4.
Halo 3(only because I got it for free).
Red Dead Redemption and Revolver.
Counter-Strike.
Borderlands.
That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT: Forgot Fallout 3.
I don't want to, but, Halo: Reach was NOT worth it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I paid full price for Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead 2, and they're both worth it.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If anything, it's worth more than the $20 I payed for it.

I expected no less than greatness from Frictional games, and yet they still someone managed to deliver something better than I could have ever imagined. Throughout the course of the story, you never once feel that they are pulling a cheap scare on you - it's genuine, untamed, unmatched fear.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, MGS 4, Red Dead Redemption, Demon's Souls, those are just a few recent ones that come to mind.
Now one game that was NOT worth the money has to be SOCOM Confrontation, I got it used for $15 and even then I felt like I was cheated out of my money!

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
L4D 1/2
Dragon age + Xpac
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Warcraft 3 + Xpac
CoD:4 The first one
Homeworld (Ive actually bought this 4 times because I keep breaking/losing disks)
Starcraft (the first one)
Diablo 2 + Xpac
Wow for the sheer time Ive burnt into it
Empire Total War
Medieval Total War

Im guna stop there but there are loads more.

Mar 26, 2008
I've bought so many games in my time it's hard to remember but most recently Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Oblivion. They're the gifts that keep on giving.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Considering that I've actually got at least two hours of play time per dollar spent on every Valve game I've bought, I'll just name those.

sleeperhit79

Feb 6, 2009
definitely modern warfare 2 and killzone 2. they're the only games I can say that i've played up to a year after they come out.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Portal, even if you buy it at the $20 price point (IE separately from the Orange Box).

Oh yeah, I went there.