What games ARE worth the money you paid for them?

buddee1

Jan 11, 2009
Recently I was in an argument about the price of games. (I believe we can all agree that games are a bit overpriced so I will stay away from that point.) One of my friends was complaining about paying $60 for Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days for a 5 hour campaign, disappointing multilayer, and overall bad game experience. This got me thinking, What games are worth their price? Games that come to mind for me are Red Dead Redemption, Halo Reach, Bioshock, games that I feel deserve my hard earned money and that the developers continue to expand and make even more fun. Lets not forget about the downloadable gems on the Xbox live marketplace or PNS, fantastic games like Limbo or Braid which are both perfectly priced for some less than privileged gamers. So I ask you, What games ARE worth the money you paid for them?

OakTaooper

Jul 24, 2010
You mentioned Halo: Reach, but also Dragon Age: Origins. Got it when it came out, and I'm still playing the crap out of that game.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins is the first one that comes to mind. Extremely long BioWare RPG. That's just a recipe for success.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd by the first post :p

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Hmmm...almost all of them, actually.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 2
Battle for Middle Earth 2
Beyond Good & Evil
Burnout Paradise
CoD: Modern Warfare
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Dead Space
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Half-Life 2 (Episodes 1 & 2 as well)
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Left 4 Dead
Lost Planet
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Portal
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Rise of Nations
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Starcraft II
Supreme Commander
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Anthology
Unreal Tournament 3

I could keep going...

Jellly

Sep 22, 2010
Fallout 3 is the one that comes to mind. Paid $100 for it (Australian that is, although i believe american is equal to aussie atm). The game only lasted that long, however, due to the mods that came with it. Although to be fair, Bethesda released a program to create mods so they did help overall with the length it kept my attention.

Diablo 2 is also defiantly worth it, as is Super Mario Galaxy. Medieval 2 Total War is another one, but only because of mods...again.

I usually define if a game is worth it if I played it for a long amount of time. I mean, the campaign for Modern Warfare 2 was incredible, but it was incredibly short for the $100 I payed for it (and then returned for a full refund within the week :p).

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Borderlands and all DLC...ok not the Mad Moxxi one, I don't care how much awesome boobage you have I will not buy that.
Bioshock
Fallout 3
I would say Full Auto, but I got it for $10
Starfox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine
aaaaaand Z.O.E.

buddee1

Jan 11, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Hmmm...almost all of them, actually.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 2
Battle for Middle Earth 2
Beyond Good & Evil
Burnout Paradise
CoD: Modern Warfare
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Dead Space
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Half-Life 2 (Episodes 1 & 2 as well)
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Left 4 Dead
Lost Planet
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Portal
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Rise of Nations
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Starcraft II
Supreme Commander
Team Fortress 2
Unreal Anthology
Unreal Tournament 3

I could keep going...
So you believe that each and every one of those games is either worth their price or more?

zombiestrangler

Sep 3, 2009
Call of Duty 4-6
Fallout 3
Bioshock
Fable
Saint's Row 2
and for me, Dead Space.
Course a friend gave me Dead Space, so.... take that with a bit of salt, but I still enjoyed it.

NerfRIder

Jun 7, 2010
Morrowind and the Persona series come to mind. Half-Life, Oblivion, Read Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead, Left for Dead 2, The Witcher, both Mass Effect games, Civ 4. There are far too many games to list.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Definitely the top of the list for me is Red Dead Redemption. I've had it since it came out and I've easily gotten over 100 hours out of the story, gameplay, activities and multiplayer. And that was before any of the DLC.

Now the Undead Nightmare pack is coming out next monday. There's another 100 hours of my life gone. XD

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
buddee1 said:
So you believe that each and every one of those games is either worth their price or more?
Honestly, yes. I've played the majority of those multiple times and logged hundreds of hours on several.

Deguasser

Feb 18, 2009
Kane and Lynch 2, Dead rising 2, Greg Hastings Paintball 2, Red Dead Redmption, and an indie game called Miner Dig Deep.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Garry's Mod. Got it and Counter Strike for 25 dollars, best game purchase I ever made. I have 81 hours on Garry's Mod and 68 on Counter Strike and I got them about a year ago.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
I'm just gonna say Valve...

I've played 500+ hours of TF2 and still haven't gotten tired of it.

Then, you have Portal that is just that awesome.

Jellly

Sep 22, 2010
I think it would be a lot easier to ask what games DONT have good value, as there are a lot and lot of games that are worth it.

buddee1

Jan 11, 2009
Deguasser said:
Kane and Lynch 2, Dead rising 2, Greg Hastings Paintball 2, Red Dead Redmption, and an indie game called Miner Dig Deep.
Ok, you're going to have to explain why Kane and Lynch 2 is on there. From the hour or so that I have played it just seems like a boring, generic, 3rd person shooter.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Pretty much every game I've ever bought has been worth the price. List of games I can actually remember right now, although there are quite a bit more than just these:

Final Fantasy III and IV on DS
Final Fantasy VIII, X, XIII
Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4
Dragon Quest IV, V and VIII
TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect
Modern Warfare 2
Etrian Odyssey
Bioshock and Bioshock 2
Fallout 3
The Witcher
Dead Space
Unreal Anthology