what happened to doctors?

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
This thread was basically an invite for non-americans to ***** about healthcare right? The NHS in England may be completely fucked up but at least its a fuckup we don't have to pay for!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If you want people to be looked after properly, don't turn it into a major business opportunity.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know, whenever I join a game its mostly scouts, snipers and spies. Oh well what can you do?

willofbob

Aug 22, 2010
1 of them got a blue box, a soic screwdriver and the ability to regenerate, he now fights evil across time and space with the help of Rory and Amy Pond.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
America. Land of the Free (as long as you have money).

It's ridiculous that a first world country exists without a national health system, but I suppose that's what happens when corporations have such a huge influence.
I think Obama is making an attempt. Admittedly a half assed attempt that he's kinda forgotten about and is being block by Congress like an incoming bastard sword, but making an attempt nonetheless.

Good fucking lord, I hate my government.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
it really sucks to be a doctor in the states. you pay a god damn way to expensive education, then work some years like a slave in hospitals with 48 hour shifts being the normal, then your income is decreasing and decreasing every year and you lose much of what is left to insure yourself for the case that something goes wrong while you try to save some poor souls life, because in the unlikely event that you lose a patient who is terminally ill *cough* his family will blame only you and try to sue millions out of your ass like its peoples second most favourite sport in the US next to being offended by everything more specific than the weather forecast.
i wouldnt want to work there for a week.

it's not only the healthcare that is broken, its education, peoples ungrateful attitude and the general society.
you would have to start the country from scratch to save it.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
AndyFromMonday said:
Y'all seem to forget a national healthcare system would infringe on a persons God given right to individualism. That's why the USA doesn't tax its citizens and has no welfare system.
Well, we do tax our citizens. We just happen to think that an army to keep our people alive is nationally more important than doctors to keep our people alive... or food... or a pension system for people not in the military... or scholarships for smart people... or foreign relations... or rescue workers... or police... or renewable energy... or disaster prevention... or education... or enforcement of corporate regulations... or a reasonable system for immigration in a country of immigrants... or a railway system. After all, just look at all those average American citizens that can afford 3 piece Italian suits, and Armani, and Gucci, and Chryslers and Cadillacs. Of course they can pay for all those non-important things themselves, and at levels they want!
Oh, science is still important! As long as it doesn't tell us something bible thumpers aren't ready to hear, tell us we're making our sunny beaches move farther north, and it totally gives us bigger, better guns. To keep our people alive.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Any country that will allow someone to die simply because they do not have enough money does not deserve to call itself civilised.

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Jinx_Dragon said:
I believe he was pointing out that turning someone away who has insurance would lead to less money.

I can argue against it, the insurance company who has not authorized the treatment is never going to pay. This means the doctor either has to pay for it out of their own pocket or go through a lengthy and expensive lawsuit that likely won't lead to any payout anyway. The original insurance company just laughs and screws over both patience and doctor.
Isn't that basically what I said? If the insurance doesn't cover that doctor, and the patient can't pay out of pocket, then the doctor eats the cost.

And that wrongful death lawsuits are very easy to win, which leads to massive loss to doctors accused.
True, but this is only an issue when refusing treatment results in a wrongful death. In most cases this doesn't happen, so it's smarter, money-wise, for the doctor to take the risk and turn the patient away.

After all, non-ER doctors don't really deal with emergency life-and-death stuff. Refusing a patient rarely results in a wrongful death for them. For the ER, turning away patients in life-threatening situations is illegal (and did not happen in the OP's stories). They treat first, and work out a payment plan later.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
My doc is pretty cool. He's been helping me lose weight and bring my blood pressure down for a little over three years, most of which I didn't have insurance(I don't have any...again). When he charges me for a visit it is only around $20 and he gives me samples of my medication so I don't have to pay for the prescription.

Also, while I may be mistaken, if you go to the ER I believe that have to treat you. At least that's what my mom(she's a nurse) and my doc have told me.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Daystar Clarion said:

It's ridiculous that a first world country exists without a national health system, but I suppose that's what happens when corporations have such a huge influence.
I think Obama is making an attempt. Admittedly a half assed attempt that he's kinda forgotten about and is being block by Congress like an incoming bastard sword, but making an attempt nonetheless.

It wasn't a half-ass effort. People have been trying to get a national healthcare bill passed for decades, I think even Reagan tried to get a bill passed.

The fact that Obama pulled it off is astounding.

Dec 16, 2009
Kekkles said:
Daystar Clarion said:

You say that but us Brits may lose our National Health System too. Thanks Cameron. It's as V always said, "The people shouldn't fear the government, the government should fear the people" and taking the NHS away will only strike a match to kindling. Note: The riots. Keep taking from people that can't afford it and they will bite back. Hard.
The riots were started in London because someone with a gun was killed. the "rioters" were looters.
I hate the fact the riots are painted as a noble cause. they are not, I was scared for the well being of my loved ones because thugs wanted to have some fun. also, part of mine and their community was damaged by their actions.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
This is why you Americans should stop crying "Communism!" every time someone suggests a national healthcare system.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
Though I dont understand too much about the American healthcare system, all I know is what they say in Scrubs, it seems to me that the hospitals are run by Ferengi, Rule of Acquisition No. 23 'Nothing is more important than your health ... except for your money.'

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
DannyJBeckett said:
Kekkles said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Kekkles said:
Daystar Clarion said:

You say that but us Brits may lose our National Health System too. Thanks Cameron. It's as V always said, "The people shouldn't fear the government, the government should fear the people" and taking the NHS away will only strike a match to kindling. Note: The riots. Keep taking from people that can't afford it and they will bite back. Hard.
I doubt the Tories would take away the NHS. They'll fuck us over in other ways, but the NHS is, like you said, a trigger for more riots.
There has already been cuts around the NHS, being staff/resources and Cameron is getting massive pay-offs from Private Doctoring companies so it may be another case of "Well, I have private doctoring and I'm fine." By good ol' spoon-fed Cameron. Though if Cleggy had any backbone maybe we'd have had some kind of balance in our party.

Off Topic: What I really want to know is the opinion on Americans getting NHS (as there has been rumours), whether they want it or not as well as their direct opinion on the way the NHS works? It's interesting, very interesting.

Listen, I'm never going to stand up for David Cameron, but the reason there are cuts in the NHS is NOT because of the government wanting to privatise it or anything ludicrous like that. It's because every year it haemorrhages money like you wouldn't believe. I'm not talking about the money that actually goes towards making sick people better, I'm talking about money that gets drained on overlooking problems that go on to cause even more sickness in people, or using over-the-top treatments when something far more simple would have been equally viable, or people being kept in hospitals when it would be much easier to send them home and have a nurse check on them, and other wasteful things like that.

Oh and about the riots. Bull, Fucking, Shit was it about people who have nothing fighting back. It was about idiots who didn't have that damn sense to MAKE anything of themselves blindly smashing, destroying, and taking what their own stupidity denied them. It was about a culture of take-take-take, mine-mine-mine reaching overload, where selfishness and opportunism take control of masses, and to hell with all those who want to protect whatever they try to defend. Surely you saw the pictures of people who'd stolen £1 bags of rice, or completely emptied a pound-shop? You honestly can't tell me that some people couldn't afford what they stole.
Let's start from the top shall we, with spending. We're at war with Iraq and Libya at the moment, Libya alone of having an estimated cost of £260m over the course of 6months. Wouldn't that be helpful if spent elsewhere? Oh and just so you know UK spent 4.5billion in Iraq. Oh yes, we're glad to go to war when our own country is still left in it's own pile of filth. They're hacking away at these "unnecessary costs" when we're still sending our troops out to Iraq. The NHS could be getting it's money but (I know the expenditure of the NHS is around 100billion before you say anything) there are other things in it's place. Before anyone goes patriotic commando, I'd like to say we should spend our money on OUR country before we bring "democracy" to others.

On the riots now: Do you know any of these people? Any of these people that have NOTHING, not because of what they haven't done but because what has been taken away? My friend, a single-mother of 3, had her job taken from her and now has to live off the government. She barely has enough money at the end of the week to feed herself, let alone her 3 kids. Her life is in shambles. Now compare that to how many other people have had their jobs taken from them and their kids that see and live the suffering and to how many kids that have nothing to do but live in gangs, not because they think they're hard, but because otherwise they'll be killed. Also there are kids that every day get pinned up against a wall by police and interrogated for something they haven't done, they're pretty sick of it.
You got yourself a group of minors that are pissed off, so they start something. A spark, then rises to a flame. Yeah sure there were people blindly jumping on the band-wagon for 'free stuff' but don't ignorantly say "Oh, they're all just chavs kicking it up because they're brainless thugs" or to which you were implying. Half the battle is getting people on your side. No matter the reason.

We need a cost effective nation, Labour were doing well until Blair fell a bit too deep into Bush's fuck-hole and thought it'd be a good idea to go to war. We need an independent country helping itself and not helping others, not spending it's money elsewhere.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Shadowkire said:
Macgyvercas said:
Daystar Clarion said:

It wasn't a half-ass effort. People have been trying to get a national healthcare bill passed for decades, I think even Reagan tried to get a bill passed.

The fact that Obama pulled it off is astounding.
Oh, it passed? I'm sorry, I kinda stopped following it when Congress was faffing about with their bipartisan motherfuckery and haven't bothered to keep up with it since.

So, yay? I guess?