What have you learned today?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

In short: Your brain doesn't have nearly enough processing power to interpret all the stimuli from your senses, so it basically just builds a model of the world and lets you fumble around in it until something turns out to be wrong with the model.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Allegedly the dude who discovered irrational numbers was murdered by the followers of Pythagoras, who ran a weird ancient Greek math cult.

Ancient Greece was wild and those math geeks went hard.
May or may not be true, there's conflicting accounts, and that was the most exciting one, so...

OTOH, Pythagoras was a magician and a mathematician. I'd say mathamagician, but those are usually boring.

Reactions: Dalisclock

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Not aware of it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I think I found it:

I have absolutely no memory of when or where I watched this; it was probably during my anime kick as a teen, but that means I would've had to rent it from Blockbuster, and Blockbuster carrying something this mind-bending is a weird idea. I mean, look at how many actors in the second dub run used pseudonyms.

Also Tara Strong and John Dimaggio were in the first run WTF

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't care what the physicists say about the speed of light. If we don't break it humanity will never go past the local group of galaxies, and we will die at best from heat death(Given that will take the longest) due to entropy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't care what the physicists say about the speed of light. If we don't break it humanity will never go past the local group of galaxies, and we will die at best from heat death(Given that will take the longest) due to entropy.
We will die at best from heat death whatever happens. And getting past the local group of galaxies is a very long term plan, we are likely to go extinct way, way before that's an issue.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
We will die at best from heat death whatever happens. And getting past the local group of galaxies is a very long term plan, we are likely to go extinct way, way before that's an issue.

Wormholes. It's likely the only way.

Studies suggest that if you want to live a happier life, it helps to think about death.
Researchers have studied the paradoxical relationship between life and death for decades. Historically, it was believed that thinking about the end of life would make people more negative. But scientists have found the opposite.​
Not only does confronting your mortality make you happier, but research suggests it promotes better health and can lead to healthier behaviors, such as exercising more, smoking less, or using sunscreen. And you start to care more for the others around you and donate time or money to good causes.
The reason might be a simple reality: death is a psychological threat to your existence, and it forces you to become more aware of your limited time, actions, and behaviors. When your brain is forced to confront the end, you’re hard-wired to search for happy thoughts and take action to keep what you don’t want to lose (your life).​
While there aren’t any direct studies on how often you should think about death, Michael Easter, author of The Comfort Crisis, interviewed people living in Bhutan, one of the happiest countries in the world despite being the 134th most developed. They think about death three times a day as part of their happiness protocol.​
That might be too much for you to start, but the point is that acknowledging your limited time can help you feel better and make the most of your days.​

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

I know everyone here is smart enough to know this, but don't do this. My dad used to build homes, as did my uncle and another uncle. It will screw over your back so badly. The reason they/companies want so many suckers to pick a trade is because they don't want you competing for that office job for their kids 1-5 years down the line. if you can't get a job find one at a bookstore or coffee shop. Do not work outside.

And if you are forced to do trades at least pick a union position over a non-union position.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
"Butter is safe to eat after being out at room temperature," says Bri Bell, a registered dietitian, and food safety expert. "One reason it doesn't go bad as quickly as other dairy products at room temperature is because it's low in carbohydrates and proteins, which are mold and bacteria's preferred food sources."Dec 9, 2022