My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'mma just throw some Orwell in here.
View attachment 8870

To elaborate on that -

The nutshell -
How to use patriotism vs. nationalism
When using these words, it’s important to keep context, and connotation, in mind:

Patriotism generally has a positive connotation. It’s used for various positive sentiments, attitudes, and actions involving loving one’s country and serving the great good of all its people.

Nationalism generally has a negative connotation. It’s used for political ideologies and movements that a more extreme and exclusionary love of one’s country—at the expense of foreigners, immigrants, and even people in a country who aren’t believed to belong in some way, often racial and religious grounds.

Dammit space, why you so goddamn cool
And on that note,

Dammit dinosaurs, why you so goddamn cool.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
When British military personnel were driving from West Germany to Berlin through East Germany, they weren't to talk to the East German Police, they should always insist on talking to Soviet officers. If the guy checking your ID at the checkpoint is East German Police, ask for a Soviet officer or go back.

Dunno why that was, though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In the US, people used to put salt on railway tracks, which would attract moose, which would block the tracks. So trains had to stop and could be attacked by armed gangs.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
We apologise for the fault in the thread. Those responsible have been sacked.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That Mondelez International, an American snack giant which owns brands such as Nabisco and Cadbury, still is operating in Russia and thereby contributes to the Russian war economy.

I'll make sure not to purchase any of their products going forwards.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
In my research for my book, I read some books about the Irish Potato Famine, their immigration to the US, and the general life of those that lived in poor conditions in the past. It wasn't until now that I really got something. I didn't understand the vehemence of the IRA towards the English until I read about how horrible they were treated during the famine. Even if it's over a century later, that's something that would run deep, on top of everything else they've had to deal with. It was kind of shocking for me when I had the thought that American slavery looked better in comparison, only because viewing someone as "property" was a step up from being viewed as vermin to exterminated and replaced.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The dutch angle isn't dutch AT ALL. It's deutsch, you barbarians.

(Also, the French apparently call it "the debubbled angle".)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that Daft Punk broke up in 2021. Doesn't really matter to me since I lost all interest in them after their debut album (Homework) when they sold out into celebrity, pop culture, and made a bunch of throwaway earworms not befitting their actual talent, but racked in a ton of cash and fame. Homework is an iconic album that still hits today 26 years later; I was just listening to it a couple of weeks ago, and it's an album that refuses to be listened to at any level less than absurdly loud. I wish they'd have stayed that course and hung together, but no; they be done. Just sucks that another musical duo from my [musically] formative years has gone the way of the dodo.

R.I.P. Daft Punk, 1993-2021; we'll always have "Around The World" and "Revolution 909," so while you're gone, you'll never be forgotten.

1685554043168.png

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There are only 25 or so million people in Australia. For some reason I thought it would be more considering the size of the country, though then I remember most of the population is along the coasts.

In an completely unrelated topic, apparently who gets a vasectomy or even has their balls crushed is going to hell by default. Also those poor castrati.

Deuteronomy 23:1 :No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There are only 25 or so million people in Australia. For some reason I thought it would be more considering the size of the country, though then I remember most of the population is along the coasts.
What I find interesting is that the UK, has multiply more people, and loads of different accents, in a tiny tiny landmass.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
What I find interesting is that the UK, has multiply more people, and loads of different accents, in a tiny tiny landmass.
I was gonna joke that's why so many people were transported, to ease the overcrowding in Britain.

But then I remembered how shitty that was and the alternative was often public execution.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Corgi still exists. 😐