Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yesterday, I learned that none other than Hans Zimmer composed the scores for the 2nd through 4th Pirates of the Caribbean films. Found out while watching "Dead Man's Chest" last night, and finally decided to track down the piece where Davy Jones is furiously playing his organ (always loved that scene,) and sure as shit, it's Hans Zimmer. I know he's divisive, but I love me some Zimmer; good to know he can sneak into my appreciation even without me knowing.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Diogenes the Cynic was apparently well known for Jerking Off in Public, so one of the original trolls. When called out on his indecency, he apparently said "If it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly".

He apparently made it a personal hobby to harass Plato, which I find amusing for some reason. Especially in light of the fact Socrates apparently liked to harass everyone in Athens with his philosophical pestering.

On one hand, an asshole. OTOH, I kind of admire the sheer "Not giving a fuck" attitude despite that.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Wichita Public Library has a book dispenser at the airport

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
On one hand, an asshole. OTOH, I kind of admire the sheer "Not giving a fuck" attitude despite that.
I mean, his philosophy boils down to "fuck the polis" (originally, that was not an intentional pun, but I'm now far too proud of it).

That said, a lot of accounts of the lives of philosophers come from later adherents or critics who tend to use this as a vehicle to insert commentary on their philosophy. My favourite example is one Roman source claiming that Pyrrho of Elis died by falling off a cliff because he refused to believe in gravity. Pyrrho was basically the big boy skeptic who went around shoving other skeptics into lockers at skeptic school.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Article headline is misleading tho. NASA is doing the scientific research to inform what the potential consequences of solar wind on our satellites and communications networks (and electronics in general, depending on the severity of the solar storm) could be, but they are not responsible for preparing for such an event. That would be the telecom and power companies which own that infrastructure. But since said prep would require capital expenditures and thus potentially lower profits, I am betting nothing will be done until it's too late. And then they'll scream at the government to bail them out, and scream at the scientific community for not warning them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I am betting nothing will be done until it's too late. And then they'll scream at the government to bail them out, and scream at the scientific community for not warning them.
"Why didn't you protect us from our own greed and hubris" does seem to be a common refrain among private enterprise.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, I imagine fears of EMPs during the Cold War (or just lightning strikes) have led to some infrastructure being hardened against this, but not much.

Reactions: gorfias

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I imagine fears of EMPs during the Cold War (or just lightning strikes) have led to some infrastructure being hardened against this, but not much.
Given the scale of national (and in some cases international) energy grids, I'm not sure it would ever be feasible to protect everything. I suspect the best case scenario would be to try and detect the storm early and intentionally shut down the energy grid. Being without power for a day or two isn't ideal, but it beats not having power for potentially weeks or months because all the transformers have exploded.

One weird preper hack I just learned while fact checking that thought is that microwaves contain a faraday cage (makes sense) so in the event of an impending electromagnetic event, you should stick your phone in your microwave (obviously don't turn it on). It might be useless anyway depending on how much infrastructure was destroyed, but at least you can play post-apocalyptic pokemon go for 5 minutes until your battery dies.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Given the scale of national (and in some cases international) energy grids, I'm not sure it would ever be feasible to protect everything. I suspect the best case scenario would be to try and detect the storm early and intentionally shut down the energy grid. Being without power for a day or two isn't ideal, but it beats not having power for potentially weeks or months because all the transformers have exploded.
As I understand it, long continous cables (such as are found in power grids and phone lines) are particularly susceptible, the first sign of EMPs was interference with phones using landlines, though the significance of that wasn't realised until much later. I'm no expert, but I don't think just turning everything off is going to protect the grid unless its hardened. Though turning everything off is going to protect things attached to it.

One weird preper hack I just learned while fact checking that thought is that microwaves contain a faraday cage (makes sense) so in the event of an impending electromagnetic event, you should stick your phone in your microwave (obviously don't turn it on). It might be useless anyway depending on how much infrastructure was destroyed, but at least you can play post-apocalyptic pokemon go for 5 minutes until your battery dies.
Makes sense, though a Faraday cage should be easy to improvise. Especially for tin foil hat types.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it, long continous cables (such as are found in power grids and phone lines) are particularly susceptible, the first sign of EMPs was interference with phones using landlines, though the significance of that wasn't realised until much later. I'm no expert, but I don't think just turning everything off is going to protect the grid unless its hardened. Though turning everything off is going to protect things attached to it.
Long power cables are designed to carry enormous currents. They can carry hundreds of thousands of volts and then be struck by lightning and still generally be fine. There are physical limits at which they will melt, but they're pretty resilient. The problems tend to occur when you have complicated electrical machinery with very fine tolerances.

Turning stuff off isn't going to be perfect protection, but think of it in terms of the overall electrical load on that circuit. If a circuit has 5 volts running through it and will overload at 10, turning off the power doubles the amount of voltage that can be added to that circuit by an electromagnetic field before it overloads.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The Wichita Public Library has a book dispenser at the airport

I haven't seen the airport one, but there is one at the coffee shop down the street from where I work and at the closest branch library to my apartment as well. I haven't used it yet, don't loiter at coffee shops and there is plenty to read at the library. But I imagine it is a decent idea at the airport. The best thing is, people can submit short stories and if approved... they go into the rotation.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Apparently misleading on the human remains part. Of course *something* will be left behind; it doesn’t just disappear not matter how much pressure is applied.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
That in order to prevent the good US citizen to be tempted by the devil, this poster

was replaced by that one