What have you learned today?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Who would've thought that artificial crap like that was bad news. Who could've seen this coming? Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

No shit, but the point is why the bloody hell is anything that destroys friggin DNA still allowed to be sold for consumption.

What’s frustrating as fuck is that if this were an internal harassment issue at x company people would be all over it like flies on shit to have them shut down. But no, it’s ok to keep slinging garbage to the general public that fucks up their health and contributes to skyrocketing health care costs and waiting lists for people that actually have other serious shit going on.

The only way anything would change is for it to have catastrophic consequences rather instantly instead of incremental damage over the course of several years.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
No shit, but the point is why the bloody hell is anything that destroys friggin DNA still allowed to be sold for consumption.
Cause why use real stuff when you can produce artificial junk with not enough long term study on the effects it has on the body to (likely) save money? Who cares about the health of the people, there's money to be made!

I started paying more attention to the kind of stuff I was putting into my body the past half a year, and one of the examples of shock I often like to cite with people is some perogies I used to buy at the store. I looked at the ingredients list, and it contained corn syrup, sugar, and dextrose, and I think one other kind of sweetener, maybe modified corn starch. It was nuts. So much crap just for perogies that didn't need it.

It's no wonder so many people have bad sugar cravings. It's insane how much gets put into so many things we ingest

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Police chief with lifetime of corruption so bad even 20 coworkers tried to go to mayor to get something done about him without success, always kept his job despite consistent complaints and who's only discipline being couple days of suspensions when they occured is what he considered a paid holiday, who tried to make his responsibility-evading suicide look like a murder (which it was actually considered as for too long), who's wife knowingly took part yet still blamed the staged shooting on "BLM" was thankfully not clever enough for interrogation.

I'mma just throw some Orwell in here.
View attachment 8870
Yes, no doubt that sentiment meant a lot more to Georgie in the time he lived with the knowledge he had access to. But times change and knowledge opens up, and the difference between the two are functionally meaningless now beyond opportunistic spin. It's still an illogical brain worm bad-faith actors can and will always take advantage of wherever they can. And it's not exclusive to the basic presumption the "left-right" rhetorical device implies: everyone is guilty of this at some point, myself included. Yes, all you fuckers are getting dragged with me under the bus here, it's warm and safe, embrace it! Don't worry about the driver, they're down here with us too, the bus is AI controlled now. 👌

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
After the Challenger Disaster, there (naturally) was a halt to planned shuttle missions, meaning that places that made rocket fuel had component chemicals piling up unused. Near Las Vegas, a fire at a plant resulted in the largest non-military explosion in US history, injuring hundreds.

Reactions: Absent

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Today I learned about Tsutomu Yamaguchi, who had the monumentally bad luck of being within two miles of ground zero of both atomic weapons dropped on Japan during World War II; the first blast ruptured his eardrums and caused severe radiation burns, and while the second didn't harm him directly, the ensuing chaos meant that his wounds couldn't be attended to and he subsequently developed a week-long fever. (He had been in Hiroshima for a business trip and was back at work when Nagasaki was bombed, having voluntarily reported in despite his injuries.) He had been anti-war before the bombings and became a strident activist for nuclear disarmament later on, and survived to the age of 93.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Today I learned about Tsutomu Yamaguchi, who had the monumentally bad luck of being within two miles of ground zero of both atomic weapons dropped on Japan during World War II; the first blast ruptured his eardrums and caused severe radiation burns, and while the second didn't harm him directly, the ensuing chaos meant that his wounds couldn't be attended to and he subsequently developed a week-long fever. (He had been in Hiroshima for a business trip and was back at work when Nagasaki was bombed, having voluntarily reported in despite his injuries.) He had been anti-war before the bombings and became a strident activist for nuclear disarmament later on, and survived to the age of 93.
Talk about awful luck.

*Survives an Atomic Blast*
Tustomu: Well, it can't get worse then that
*Goes to Nagasaki, survives the other atomic blast*

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Cocksucker : ~1890
Fucking : ~ww1

Historians...

Herodotus.png

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If your train is going to go down the wrong line, don't jump off the train while it is in motion to change the lines and try to jump back on again. Also, make sure you put the brakes on properly.

Also, if there's a button that holding down for a few seconds stops the engine, shooting at the fuel tank cover doesn't help, even if it is the same colour.

(They ended up stopping it by chasing it with another train, linking it up while in motion and using its brakes to slow it enough so someone could jump in and stop it, which is sorta cool. The rail company refused to sell the engine to any of the interested collectors or museums because they wanted everyone to forget)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
When my niece was little (2 or 3 years old,) for whatever reason she couldn't/wouldn't say "uncle;" she called me "Guncle." The cute nickname has stuck to this day, +30 years later. Welp, today, I learned that "guncle" is slang for a gay uncle. I texted her to let her know, and her response: "lmfao, oh shit." I still love her, but it's time for a new nickname.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
When my niece was little (2 or 3 years old,) for whatever reason she couldn't/wouldn't say "uncle;" she called me "Guncle." The cute nickname has stuck to this day, +30 years later. Welp, today, I learned that "guncle" is slang for a gay uncle. I texted her to let her know, and her response: "lmfao, oh shit." I still love her, but it's time for a new nickname.
Eh, or you could just turn gay, lots of people say it's a choice.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Eh, or you could just turn gay, lots of people say it's a choice.
I may have some "gay" qualities, but I'm severely lacking in the whole "attraction to men" area, and it's a hard pass for me to "choose" otherwise. And fun fact, my niece is a lesbian; came out to us several years ago. Go fig.