What have you learned today?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Today everyone in Britain found out that this is our new foreign secretary.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yep, what @Gordon_4 said. Didn't know it was that uncommon... everyone in my family uses it practically every day. If you're looking to watch British TV try our rom-coms, they're bloody hilarious.

Tip: my guilty pleasure is watching First Dates, it's fun to see how different people date, flirt, and etc–plus, some of the interactions are hilariously honkers. Give it a try~
I don't think that expression made it over to the states(or Canada, though my only source for that is I've never heard it on Letterkenny, so probably not the best reference here).

I've mostly watched the comedies but not so much the rom-coms. IT Crowd and Black Books(with Father Ted being a lesser favorite) are all shows I adore. I was also a big fan of Spaced and Red Dwarf(well, Red Dwarf a while back, not so much the new ones). My wife is a fan of the Great British Baking show but I suspect not as much slang there.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
1632176502177.png

This is what the future looks like if we are smart about it. By the way this is Singapore.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I've noticed some capitalism in action. There's a chain of music shops in the UK called PMT that have a branch near where I live. Among other things they stock effects pedals made by the company Electro Harmonix.

One of EHX's pedals is the Soul Food overdrive. It costs £75 from PMT.
Another of EHX's pedals is the Nano POG Polyphonic Octave Generator. It costs £176 from PMT.
(Those prices are about the same as the US RRP, plus value added tax.)
EHX also makes some multi effects pedals, including the Soul POG, which contains both a Soul Food and a Nano POG in one enclosure. So, it costs something like £225 to £250 right? No you fool that would make sense, it's £149.

Something in the grinding gears of the markets has decided in this case that the Soul POG should not merely be cheaper than the cost of the separate products, it should be cheaper than one of the separate products by itself. (It has an effects loop so you're not losing any functionality either) Unfortunately I can't quite afford to take advantage of this at the moment.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I learned what dreams are made of, kind of?

For several years I've been aware that if I close my eyes and focus enough I can just barely make out what looks like images behind black clouds directly in the center of my vision and that if I just wake up the images are brighter and I can make them out more clearly. I believe term for such things is hypnagogic imagery.

Well last night, after waking up from a very odd dream, I managed to see them more distinctly than ever before. I clearly saw a scene in a restaurant, and it was like watching a slideshow moving at 2 or 3 frames per second. I could see people moving their arms and stuff, but it was all choppy. It wasn't at all related to the dream that I just had, by the way. The really weird part was as I started focusing on it my eyes started twitching back and forth at the rate that the images changed, just like they would in REM sleep. I only managed to observe this for 15 seconds or so before I started to wake up too much and everything faded.

It's a little disturbing in a way, like seeing behind the curtain and watching Oz flipping all his little levers. I'm not exactly sure how it goes from slideshow in front of your eyes to dreams, but it's just weird seeing the show from the side a little bit, like I'm at the theater, turned around watching the movie upside down in the projector.

Of course after experiencing something like that I'm wide awake now, and after laying there thinking about it for half and hour I decided I might as well get up and write it down so maybe I can fall back to sleep.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that the Church of Satan is NOT an evil, spiritual cabal; they do NOT believe in God, the Devil or any spiritual beings. Rather they are hedonistic, militant atheists; basically the starkly polar opposite of evangelical Christians. Their #1 sin, formally listed, is "Stupidity," if that says anything.

Not sure if shrouding themselves in all the airs of religion for which they show contempt is intentionally or unintentionally ironic. I could see it going either way, but it's hilarious to think it started with two guys talking about how dumb religion is, then getting the grand idea of gathering people of similar beliefs, scripting out a text that outlines those beliefs, meeting weekly to discuss those beliefs.... Then they were like "Oh, shit! We just created a religion! Quick, wrap this up in a shit-ton of irony! I mean a LOT!"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think I mentioned it on here before, but I had a similar confusion with Leslie Mann and Lauren Holly. Never had an issue with Reginas Hall and King, though.
Funny, I had that with Leslie Mann and Judy Greer. Who on top of looking and sounding alike tend to play the same unfunny shrill character.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Funny, I had that with Leslie Mann and Judy Greer. Who on top of looking and sounding alike tend to play the same unfunny shrill character.
Not familiar with Greer, but I can see some resemblance.

I think what conflated Mann and Holly in my mind (besides some facial similarities) is they were both in films with Jim Carey, Mann in The Cable Guy and Holly in Dumb and Dumber, two films I (*brace for an unpopular opinion*) enjoyed.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
In the long run, no company is profitable at least forever unless they are a monopoly. The most profitable companies are in new industries, and or are startups.

That explains the drive towards short-term profits quite well.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
All of our days are named after mythological gods or something close to that.

Sunday- Sun's Day
Monday-Moon's Day
Tuesday- Tyr's day
Wednesday- Wotan(Odin)'s day.
Thursday- Thor's day
Friday- Frigg's day
Saturday- Saturn's Day

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
What the fucking fuck...we got some legitimate literal piss-drinking american paying millions to try and become London mayor...wtf???

No joke, no exaggeration...actual drinking their own piss wannabe mayor..

This is the bad kind of immigration, take him back please!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That William's Syndrome is a thing. It's a disease that, along with several, unfortunate downsides, has the upside of making people "abnormally" friendly, sensitive and honest. I put abnormally in quotes because the idea that kindness, sensitivity and honesty could ever be someone's God-given traits in such excess as to be considered a fault by we "normal" lot says more about the rest of us than it ever will say about anyone who suffers from it.