What have you learned today?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Congratulations on dropping the booze by the way. It's good for your health and your pocket book. You're coming up on a year which is a hell of a milestone.
Thanks, it's one month to go from today. It's been ludicrously easy to be honest, after years of failed attempts to cut down. The difference was the commitment to never again rather than not until x or only on occasion y - that's not giving up, that's planning to drink.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I learned that Mr. Bean, Rowan Atkinson's most popular goddamn thing he's ever made, beloved by millions across the world regardless of language or creed, has only got 14 fucking episodes???

I'm no stranger to the brevity of British comedy series, Fawlty Towers is a comedy institution and it only has 12, but Mr. Bean looked and felt like the sort of thing that could have played uninterrupted every day of the week for a year and not be repeating itself. And yet......

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I learned that Mr. Bean, Rowan Atkinson's most popular goddamn thing he's ever made, beloved by millions across the world regardless of language or creed, has only got 14 fucking episodes???

I'm no stranger to the brevity of British comedy series, Fawlty Towers is a comedy institution and it only has 12, but Mr. Bean looked and felt like the sort of thing that could have played uninterrupted every day of the week for a year and not be repeating itself. And yet......
It probably helps that each episode is in essence a series of sketches, since that means that when you think about two stand-out moments it is entirely possible that these moments are from different sketches but the same episode.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Well, there's allegedly a film or two. Allegedly.....

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Thanks, it's one month to go from today. It's been ludicrously easy to be honest, after years of failed attempts to cut down. The difference was the commitment to never again rather than not until x or only on occasion y - that's not giving up, that's planning to drink.
A psychological trigger of some sort could be vital as well. I’ll never forget the disgusting smell in my college apartment bedroom when I chain smoked the last half pack of cigarettes that I’ve ever had, 17.5 years ago now. Even hours later it was bad enough to need the window open to sleep, and it was the tail end of winter in Michigan.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I didn't know that today was National Video Games Day. That of course is as opposed to July 8th, which is of course National Video Game Day.

SHHH, nobody tell them we already got one.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Make of this what you will -
Well, I looked at the timeline, and none of them are "make pointless listicle videos on YouTube", so bad luck there, Brainy Dose. And apparently one of them is "Dunning-Kreuger effect", which I'm really not interested enough in any of this to find out how that serves as a "sign you are smarter than most people".

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, I looked at the timeline, and none of them are "make pointless listicle videos on YouTube", so bad luck there, Brainy Dose. And apparently one of them is "Dunning-Kreuger effect", which I'm really not interested enough in any of this to find out how that serves as a "sign you are smarter than most people".
Well the Dunning-Kreuger effect is more about stupid people whose egos, via ignorance, have led them to believe they're smarter than everyone else. A "smart" person knows they don't know everything; a stupid one thinks they know everything.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well the Dunning-Kreuger effect is more about stupid people whose egos, via ignorance, have led them to believe they're smarter than everyone else. A "smart" person knows they don't know everything; a stupid one thinks they know everything.
That’s what some of the comments invoked, like “the problem with the world is stupid people are full of confidence and smart people are full of doubt” - Bertrand Russell

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A psychological trigger of some sort could be vital as well. I’ll never forget the disgusting smell in my college apartment bedroom when I chain smoked the last half pack of cigarettes that I’ve ever had, 17.5 years ago now. Even hours later it was bad enough to need the window open to sleep, and it was the tail end of winter in Michigan.
I simply have to look in my wallet and see the £35,000 that isn't there.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

This is a bad. Like really fucking bad. Not easy to listen to, not recommended tbh. No happy ending, hardly any justice. Every single person in her life failed her. Many who should've known better too. But is important to know how groups of humans can easily be the very hell they're supposedly so afraid of.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

This is a bad. Like really fucking bad. Not easy to listen to, not recommended tbh. No happy ending, hardly any justice. Every single person in her life failed her. Many who should've known better too. But is important to know how groups of humans can easily be the very hell they're supposedly so afraid of.
Ever since the popularity of 2014's "Serial" podcast, I've had this morbid fascination with real crime drama, and the sad thing is... I always feel like shit after listening to/watching any of it. I'm left with the weight of my own mortality and the nagging thought that there are some terrible people out there who do reprehensible things. But I still keep coming back; my YouTube algorithm has me red-flagged for sure. That said, thanks for this recommendation; I know what will be my constant companion during my workday tomorrow, but damn you to hell for the ensuing existential misery it will most likely cause me.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

That went beyond bad. Fucking horrific. I almost couldn't finish it, and can't say I'm glad I did.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde