What have you learnt today?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Today, I learned that "Acheson" is a location, not a business.

This is embarrassing, because the company I work for was trying to get me to go to a company in Acheson, and this caused me to say something really hilarious.
Totally similar tale for me, from three years ago- I was told to contact a company to order parts and services. The name of the company, which I had never heard of before, was a person's name, so when I called the front desk and asked for the company by name as though it was a person, the secretary, and consequently everyone else who heard me make the call, thought I was a plum.

As to me, I have learned today that there is a little mouse in my kitchen. I am unsure of my next course of action as regards this.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I learned I'm pretty much at the limit on how much money I can borrow for college. It won't be enough to finish my courses. :(

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Uhh...

I learned the difference between prose and verse, and why Shakespeare switches between them in his works.

That's about it for stuff I remember learning, everything else was just a recap/repeat of what I already knew :p

purf

Nov 29, 2010
I hope I have learned to consistently say "Fuck you, too." to anyone who wants any of my work for "exposure" or "but, hey! free beers!"

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
SirDerpy said:
HTML and CSS.

Haven't ever actually done them before, but I've got 'em for a summer assignment, so might as well.
If you don't know about it, search for W3 schools. It's gonna teach and reference ya on just about every single web-technology out there. I'm slowly picking up PHP.

As for what I learned today? I was up pretty late last night. So I guess learning what happened to my favorite game, Dystopia counts. I'm also learning that the music my friend listens to on soundcloud is pretty awesome, and soon I'll know what it's like to ride in a car with two five-year-olds. >.<

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
This has actually been an on-going lesson, but I learned that I am better at my job, and as a worker in general, than most people around me.

I don't mean that in an arrogant way. It actually comes from a place of low self-esteem. Ever since I got out of high school, I had low self esteem and my thought process was constantly "I need to get better" at whatever I was doing. So I would push myself harder, triple check everything I did, etc. For the longest time, my only reference of self-improvement was the military, where it's never enough. Now that I'm in the civilian sector, I'm realizing I'm leagues ahead of my peers in almost all aspects, but most importantly in work ethic. "Busting my ass and putting in incredible effort at work" by their standards is just a normal day for me. I'll consistently get comments like "Wow, you're really killing it, you must be exhausted" when I'm just doing what's natural for me. I'm satisfied with this.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Today, after watching this video [http://www.cracked.com/video_18947_9-adorable-animals-thatll-eat-you-if-given-chance.html] on Cracked, I learned that some herbivores are opportunistic carnivores.

I don't know why this never occurred to me; I probably never gave it much thought, although I guess I find the thought itself somewhat disturbing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That a Space Marine Sergent with a Power Sword isn't enough to take on a single Gene Stealer. *Glares at space hulk*

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
*There was an animated TV show of Jumanji that lasted for 3 seasons in 1996

*A$AP Rocky and Iggy Azalea dated before

Nothing much but somewhat eyebrow raising

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Nothing yet, but I'm about to learn that working a 10+ hour shift is close to impossible after only getting three hours of sleep due to neighbors having a party and being loud assholes. Woke up around 2 am. Shift starts at 10 am but I couldn't fall asleep again.
Fun fun fun. My job is extremely physical and there's usually no time for rest or breaks... :C

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
DanielBrown said:
Nothing yet, but I'm about to learn that working a 10+ hour shift is close to impossible after only getting three hours of sleep due to neighbors having a party and being loud assholes. Woke up around 2 am. Shift starts at 10 am but I couldn't fall asleep again.
Fun fun fun. My job is extremely physical and there's usually no time for rest or breaks... :C
I worked a 12 hour shift on no sleep. And I had to lift a ton of sugar. No really a ton of it(not all at once, but hay). Although about half my job is done in a cooler so I can hardly complain about getting hot. Still sucks for you man. I'm sorry.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I learned that FFXIV Gladiators are primarily people who don't know how the hell to keep enmity, and that I shall likely have to do it for them forever more.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
today i have learnt that attack on titan is actually pretty good! yeah some of the twists have been spoiled for me and what not but its actually a good anime.

and i have learnt about syphilis. it was not a good idea to examine the pictures closely

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
A TON about Shakespeare and Henry IV (which I saw at the RSC on thursday!) such as that it's theatrical tradition for Henry Percy (Hotspur, the kinda-villain kinda-deuteragonist) to have a speech impediment to stop him from becoming too sympathetic to the audience, and that Falstaff's speech on honour is really hard-hitting when done right, and the line "Honour hath no skill in surgery" might be one of the few times that Shakespeare's personal view is shown in one of his plays.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
rosac said:
So, as the saying goes, you learn something new every day. I, personally, believe this is true, it's just that what we learn varies in personal levels (i.e. learning something new about a friend or about a country) and also usefulness.

So, what have you learnt today?

Today, I learnt that Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" is in fact a cover, which is a bit of a shock to me as I assumed it was the original. Same for Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog"
I read your post, I googled this and 'learnt' it.

?Learnt? or ?learned??

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. ?Learnt? is more common in British English, and ?learned? in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity.
So, yeah, that. I generally take to grammar and spelling so it's always kind of nice to find another tidbit. If I go out and study this kind of thing, I don't retain much. One thing at a time, but one thing forever at a time.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Obscure and trivial information for most people, but today I discovered how awesome and ahead of its time the death metal band Nocturnus was. That is some mighty fine wisdom for me at least.
I love nocturnus
Listening to lustmord remixes at the moment

Today i learnt that warm cacao and honey makes an awesome drink
Also that 9µm is pretty large for a diamond hone
Also also that my ISP (brebansbolage) charges out the ass just to move my address