What have you purchased recently?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The boy moved out and with covid, me and the missus are work from home. So, we turned his old bedroom into her office (I dwell with hand me down furniture in my basement office man-cave :) . Put in a ceiling light, painted, bought and built an entertainment stand with a 4k Roku Ultra, an office chair, area rug and executive desk. Now to start hanging pictures, maybe get curtains.
View attachment 2962
The monitors don’t match, you heathen.

Anyway, I’ve bought drugs. Lots of them for pain management, inflammation and my actual illness. This is a record for the shittiest week I’ve had since I had an abscess.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The monitors don’t match, you heathen.

Anyway, I’ve bought drugs. Lots of them for pain management, inflammation and my actual illness. This is a record for the shittiest week I’ve had since I had an abscess.
So sorry for you troubles! And these forums need an LOL button.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
So I wanted to get more PS2 games since I only have 3 and I went to the "flea market" (I think that's what you call it), the selection was pretty bad TBH, but I didn't want to leave empty handed so I got Stuntman, .Hack Part 1: Infection, Front Mission 4 & Devil Kings for $100 MXN each which is like $5 USD for each game, I have no idea if they're good but they were dirt cheap and I'm pretty sure .Hack infection must be a bit more valuable than that since it comes with a 45 minute movie that the box claims was made by the creators of Ghost in the Shell & Evangelion, the guy also said that if I return by mid-day they will have a lot more PS2 games, so I guess I'll give it a shot since they'll probably give me a discount for buying so much shit, specially since almost no one is buying this stuff during the pandemic.

Edit: Did go back, selection was a bit better and I ended up buying Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 and Dark Cloud 2, there was other interesting stuff like Rise of the Kasai and Armored Core 3 but I decided to go with that for the moment.

Will probably come back next week since tge guy said he would have ps1 stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Mumbler

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Wasn't purchased recently, but I ordered The Omen Collection a couple weeks ago and it finally shipped yesterday, so now I'm getting it soon. Comes with all of the Omen movies on Blu-Ray, including Part IV: The Awakening and the remake. Not bad for $40.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So...what exactly makes it "built for gaming?"
To match what the Xbox Series X and PS5 are telling you they can do, this is one of the few receiver manufacturers that reportedly can keep up with them. I think it is 8K 30 FPS or true 4K 60 FPS. Yamaha claims to be able to do it but a major bug has been reported. They claim they can fix the bug with a firmware update but this seems doubtful as the problem is the hardware. Marantz, which I think is associated with Denon can also do it but they are wildly expensive! I don't think Sony nor Onkyo are even trying yet. I'm sure they will eventually and the equivalent of the 1080 would be a nice box to have.

For me, an unexpected benefit: I have it on an older 4K 65" Samsung Curve with NO HDR. It has 4 HDMI ports. 3 are 1.4. The last is 2.0a. I plug my stuff (Wii U, PS4, OG Xbox 1 and Roku) into the receiver. I have one output. That goes into the single 2.0a port I have. 2.0a is capable of receiving an upgraded signal to do HDR. I did not know that would happen. Don't know why, but I'm not seeing anything notable on the Roku or PS4. The Wii U and OG Xbox 1 look very different and bold. EDIT: Spent last night over the in-laws and family drinking wine and listening to his Denon playing songs over his 2 Polk Audio tower speakers. I think that is next on my list as the 2 front speakers I have a great for gaming and movies but not streaming 2.0 or 2.1 music. His made me jealous they sound so terrific. I'll likely wait for father's day to have an excuse to bring new tower speakers into the house so my wife won't kill me :)

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Dragon Soop - overpriced energy drink palpations with unspecified alcohol. If there's an opportunity to appease 2 addictions in one purchase, it's gotta be taken. Well, said past me!
Tastes more like someone mixed crushed pro-plus caffeine tablets and cleaning ethanol in with blue panda pop. It'll have to do. Only 8 more addictions to go.
Design is alright tho.
ezgif.com-gif-maker-4.jpg

Tho it used to be a cat.

IMG20210228144855.jpg

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
New break pads for my car and Loop Hero.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Was gonna check in to see how your search had been going, congrats.
Thanks! The used car thing wasn't working out at this point, a year's worth of searching was enough. Was way too much of me trying to minimize risk to things I simply wouldn't be able to entirely avoid by buying a used car, not to mention not liking most of what I drove (Some of which could be attributed to previous ownership). So I weighed my options, drove a few new cars, fell in love with the Impreza in its Ocean Blue colour, and the rest went smooth in a matter of days. It's been lovely so far~

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
New labels for my X-men: Child of the atom and Eco Fighters game carts and a Naomi netdimm.. I think I've reached ultimate videogame hipster status as I now mostly collection Arcade Multi-system games for stuff like for the Capcom CPS-II and the Sega Naomi platforms.

PXL_20210310_211331828~2.jpg

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You didn't! So freaking jealous! I try to get 6 years from my PC builds. I'm still on a Ryzen 7 1700 in this rig and it is less than 4 years old so far. Seriously, holy moly. You do not mess around, do you?
I've been hearing signals here and there that Zen 3 availability is also becoming a bit of a problem in various places. So I thought "fuck it, grabbing one now". Also, I dabble in emulation a lot, where single threaded tends to matter most, and the 5800x is the current top dog. I mean, technically the Apple M1 is a smidge better, but wtf am I going to do gaming wise on an Apple laptop?

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Bought the 6 book collection of Dune to read through.

Why do physical books cost less than digital ones? To buy all 6 books from Amazon on paperback costs $49 but buying them on Kindle costs $55. What the fuck? Why does the object that needs to be printed and shipped, which costs money end up costing less than the digital product that doesn't involve any of those things? The digital version of books should always cost 50% less at minimum.

It's a fucking racket, and that goes double for school books.

Last edited: